Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Is Dendoncker our most important player?

bod101

Admin & No.4
Reaction score
More likely its Bruno who sees him in this role. If we go to a back 4 I'd be interested to see him paired with Kilman.
I wouldn't, I feel his biggest issue is concentration, his other listed failings would largely improve if this was fixed. But in defence any lapses would be more damaging.

Aimless Balls

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Belgian international, versatile, hardworking, prime age- where are all the great transfer offers, defenders of the Donck?

lobodelsur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wouldn't, I feel his biggest issue is concentration, his other listed failings would largely improve if this was fixed. But in defence any lapses would be more damaging.
He's rarely let us down when played in a back 3.

Aimless Balls

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He's rarely let us down when played in a back 3.
Things began to fall apart near the end of his spell there. Cost a couple goals. He may be more of a defender than a MF but I don’t know what that says.

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The lesson from the past couple games is, Leander needs to get his butt into the box rather than get lost in MF along the way. As reamswolf pointed out, his involvement in the last 4 goals was strictly about him being there, and being aware. CB skills combined with fantastic luck were enough.
The lesson from the past couple of games is that he’s just not good enough. He’s not even doing the basics right.

Aimless Balls

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The lesson from the past couple of games is that he’s just not good enough. He’s not even doing the basics right.
Hopeless in a 2, especially when the WBs can’t use the ball either. Can’t have 3 of the 4 players in the middle not be able to use the ball. How could we possibly feed the front line properly like that.

However, if he’s going to play, he needs to get his butt in into the box.

WKFWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
ill beat this drum constantly, but in my opinion hes one of the worst (at least pound for pound) players technically ive ever seen play for us.

he cant pass, shoot, head, tackle or run fast yet somehow hes an international and premier league footballer.

his sole use for us now is when we move to a three and he can provide an extra body and fill space. one of the first players we should be upgrading on IMO

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What he does well in a 3 man midfield is fill gaps in well, picks up players off the ball and helps the structure. On the ball he's not good enough and in a 2 man midfield he loses his main asset.

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
…his sole use for us now is when we move to a three and he can provide an extra body and fill space.
Even then, he’s still a liability. Mistimes challenges, allows runners to get in front of him and lets them go, turns his back constantly when defending a shot, always ALWAYS, meanders out of position…and runs funny.

D

Deleted member 9202LYK

We have played 17 games in the PL this season, winning 6, drawing 4 and losing 7. The overall PPG is therefore 1.29.

Dendoncker has played 12 games in the PL (started 11, came on as sub in 1).

Sheff Utd (90 mins - won 2-0)
Man City (came on for last 12 minutes - we were 2-1 down and lost 3-1 with Gabriel scoring in the last minute of injury time)
Fulham (90 mins - won 1-0)
Leeds (90 mins - won 1-0)
Newcastle (90 mins - drew 1-1)
Palace (90 mins - won 2-0)
Leicester (90 mins - lost 1-0)
Southampton (90 mins - drew 1-1)
Arsenal (90 mins - won 2-1)
Liverpool (90 mins - lost 4-0)
Villa (80 mins - lost 1-0)
Chelsea (45 mins, won 2-1 - went off injured at half time at 0-0)

Of the games when Dendoncker starts and plays the full game his record is P9 W5, D2 L2 or 1.9PPG. In those games we scored 10 and conceded only 8 ( four of those coming at Liverpoool).

Even if you add in the games where he went off before 90 mins ( or came on for the last 12 against City ) it is P12 W6 D2 L4 - 1.7 PPG.

It is tough to see what he does (in comparison with a Raul, or a Traore) but it seems clear he is integral to our success?

To reinforce the point - these are the games where Dendoncker has not featured at all;

West Ham 4 - Wolves 0
Burnley 2 - Wolves 1
Wolves 1 Tottenham 1
Man Utd 1 Wolves 0
Brighton 3 Wolves 3

P5 W0 D2 L3 PPG 0.4 PPG

There will no doubt be other things you could look at like average goals scored/conceded etc but I would imagine it basically says that when Dendoncker plays we pick up more points and are much more sound defensively.

I think all that is correct (as correct as it can be on a Saturday morning) but it would seem clear that Dendoncker is integral to our chances of winning games.
That’s a really interesting analysis… have you extended to look at this season?

Oh and could you change the title now? For some unknown reason it gets on my nerves seeing this thread at the top of this everyday with such and absurd (nowadays) title.

R

reanswolf

That’s a really interesting analysis… have you extended to look at this season?

Oh and could you change the title now? For some unknown reason it gets on my nerves seeing this thread at the top of this everyday with such and absurd (nowadays) title.
It was a shallow but a highlighting analysis...............but when you drilled down it was obvious why.

I do think he performs a so-called 'spoiler' role in a midfield 3, and he is a good lad who grafts hard.
But that 3rd Cm could be soooo much better. If only....................

He will get my full support whilst a Wolves player, he always gives 100%, but if we do have a true Footballing Director (Scott Sellers:)-), then for the love of God surely he recognises this. Can be no more excuses from the club come summer.

Longford Wolf

Reaction score
ill beat this drum constantly, but in my opinion hes one of the worst (at least pound for pound) players technically ive ever seen play for us.

he cant pass, shoot, head, tackle or run fast yet somehow hes an international and premier league footballer.

his sole use for us now is when we move to a three and he can provide an extra body and fill space. one of the first players we should be upgrading on IMO
I said exactly the same, but my post was laughed at by another poster on here after the Donk scored from 2 yards against Spurs.
It’s funny how said poster is keeping quiet now they realise that the majority of us think he is ****.

WKFWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I said exactly the same, but my post was laughed at by another poster on here after the Donk scored from 2 yards against Spurs.
It’s funny how said poster is keeping quiet now they realise that the majority of us think he is ****.
Haha i know what you mean. Tap in against Spurs and half involvement in a couple of goals and now he's Pirlo. He's done a job but if we want to progress he along with a few others need distinct improvement.

steve vena

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Amen brother.

WolvTown

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
“It’s hard to find a player like Ruben, it’s hard to find a player like Joao, and to find two who know each other like they do. I am very happy, also with Leander - I like to mention Leander when I talk about the midfielders because Leander is a fantastic guy and player, every time I need him he is ready. He is one of the best professionals that we have."

R

reanswolf

“It’s hard to find a player like Ruben, it’s hard to find a player like Joao, and to find two who know each other like they do. I am very happy, also with Leander - I like to mention Leander when I talk about the midfielders because Leander is a fantastic guy and player, every time I need him he is ready. He is one of the best professionals that we have."
I am very happy with him on the subs bench he meant to say.

If this is a quote from Bruno, do you really expect him to say " ****, I've got to use Dendoncker in midfield now, I know he won't do anything except pass it back to Coady, I'd prefer to use a 37-year old where possible, but sometimes I've got no ****ing choice".

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I am very happy with him on the subs bench he meant to say.

If this is a quote from Bruno, do you really expect him to say " ****, I've got to use Dendoncker in midfield now, I know he won't do anything except pass it back to Coady, I'd prefer to use a 37-year old where possible, but sometimes I've got no ****ing choice".
It is hilarious how many folk quote anything from Lage that supports their own views and deprecate anything that doesn't.....

R

reanswolf

Thought he was superb today............got into good positions and very nearly controlled a football, chased shadows well, nearly tackled opposition players, distributed and controlled the midfield with a 100% backward passing accuracy over 4 metres.......................................as you would expect for a Belgian International.

Back
Top Bottom