Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Is Dendoncker our most important player?

Bill McCai

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We have played 17 games in the PL this season, winning 6, drawing 4 and losing 7. The overall PPG is therefore 1.29.

Dendoncker has played 12 games in the PL (started 11, came on as sub in 1).

Sheff Utd (90 mins - won 2-0)
Man City (came on for last 12 minutes - we were 2-1 down and lost 3-1 with Gabriel scoring in the last minute of injury time)
Fulham (90 mins - won 1-0)
Leeds (90 mins - won 1-0)
Newcastle (90 mins - drew 1-1)
Palace (90 mins - won 2-0)
Leicester (90 mins - lost 1-0)
Southampton (90 mins - drew 1-1)
Arsenal (90 mins - won 2-1)
Liverpool (90 mins - lost 4-0)
Villa (80 mins - lost 1-0)
Chelsea (45 mins, won 2-1 - went off injured at half time at 0-0)

Of the games when Dendoncker starts and plays the full game his record is P9 W5, D2 L2 or 1.9PPG. In those games we scored 10 and conceded only 8 ( four of those coming at Liverpoool).

Even if you add in the games where he went off before 90 mins ( or came on for the last 12 against City ) it is P12 W6 D2 L4 - 1.7 PPG.

It is tough to see what he does (in comparison with a Raul, or a Traore) but it seems clear he is integral to our success?

To reinforce the point - these are the games where Dendoncker has not featured at all;

West Ham 4 - Wolves 0
Burnley 2 - Wolves 1
Wolves 1 Tottenham 1
Man Utd 1 Wolves 0
Brighton 3 Wolves 3

P5 W0 D2 L3 PPG 0.4 PPG

There will no doubt be other things you could look at like average goals scored/conceded etc but I would imagine it basically says that when Dendoncker plays we pick up more points and are much more sound defensively.

I think all that is correct (as correct as it can be on a Saturday morning) but it would seem clear that Dendoncker is integral to our chances of winning games.

Royal wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s funny because to me he doesn’t seem to influence too much at all during games but obviously the stats say otherwise. I wonder how much is down to coincidence? Im sure bale wasn’t the sole reason he didn’t manage a win in his first 25 games for Spurs a few years back.

Not knocking donks either btw because I like him and his energy

thommo1984

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hmmm, kind of, but I think it's by default rather than Donk being a great player. When he doesn't play we tend to go with Mouts and Neves in a two, which makes us so much more vulnerable.

R

reanswolf

We are more stable with him, and the points per game argument which we discussed last week, does seem to show that. With just Neves and Mouts we are a bit weak in midfield though more able to compete with better teams arguably - I said this on another thread. More physical lower teams steam-roll that midfield pairing, yet they did well at Manure (with Vitinha too), well at home to Spurs which we dominated, and well second half at home to Chelsea (with Otasowie) -all whom are better teams.

With a Neves and Donk midfield pairing we are more stable and concede less, but for me there is little creative offensive play because Donk has so few touches but covers well and is a good 'spoiler'. But Neves thrives on playing with another passing midfield partner. Donk is not really that man.

Altho the stats are good with Donk in, it is also important to remember that with this pairing we lost at home to Stoke, at home to Villa, and away at leciester without really creating much at all. There are limitations despite the stability. But I prefer this Donk -Neves partnership away at places like Brighton (yes I know Donk was injured).

So its a conundrum.

Actually the 3 man midfield like yesterday may be the answer, it offers extra protection to a back four and leaves some attacking creativity.
With a 2-man midfield we are always weaker offensively or defensively depending on whether Donk or Mouts partner Neves. I think Nuno recognises this, as he alternates them. Maybe now this 3-man midfield is the way to see the season out and then reassess / upgrade Neves's partner in the summer. If we stick to a 3-man midfield in the future I could see Neves, Donk, and another more mobile midfielder forming a good, effective trio.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 11332

Depends on formation and who we play. 343 probably yes. When we play 4231 I wouldn't play him over Moutinho as we don't need the legs as the pair just sit deep to feed the 3 Infront.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I feel confident when I see Donk in the line up, make of that what you will, I don't when he isnt.
He does a lot of the dirty unnoticed work. When he isn't there that gets missed...

D

Deleted member 4184

He's important but I think our only world class player at the moment is Neves.

Donk is very very importanttthough

Sheriff Woody

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Dendoncker is key to our midfield. Without Dendoncker Neves is half the player he is with him.

I know Eriksen was mentioned as an addition and he's a tremendous player but I genuinely believe a N'Golo Kante/Idrissa Gueye type player is the kind we need.

Ruben Neves is uber talented as we all know but we're wasting his talent by asking him to be a Didier Deschamps 'water carrier'. Adding some more physicality and energy to compliment Dendoncker and allowing Neves more time and space would help us no end.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Dendoncker is key to our midfield. Without Dendoncker Neves is half the player he is with him.

I know Eriksen was mentioned as an addition and he's a tremendous player but I genuinely believe a N'Golo Kante/Idrissa Gueye type player is the kind we need.

Ruben Neves is uber talented as we all know but we're wasting his talent by asking him to be a Didier Deschamps 'water carrier'. Adding some more physicality and energy to compliment Dendoncker and allowing Neves more time and space would help us no end.
I think that you and l are definitely on the same page on this one...

Royal wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I also thought we were wasting his talent but maybe he’s becoming a player we didn’t expect him to become? We’ve all seen the stats of his tackling recently so maybe he is a destroyer of sorts but with the ability to pick a pass also.

R

reanswolf

It would seem that having Dendoncker in the team gives the more talented(?) players the platform to perform whilst also tightening us up defensively.
I don't think it does - having 3 in midfield enables us to do that. Palace being **** in midfield also helps.

Donk and Neves as a midfield 2 have played and we have been poor.

Bill McCai

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think the raw stats show how integral he is in terms of picking up points.

PL 20/21

When he plays the full match - 1.9 PPG (72 points over a season)
When he features - 1.7 PPG (64 points)
When he does not feature - 0.4 PPG (15 points)

Whilst it can be tough for us laymen to see what he is doing - I guess the fact he features when fit (usually for the whole game) would indicate the staff feel the same?

jrpb-3

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No. he's one of them, but at the moment I'd say Raul. We have players who can cover most of the other positions to a reasonable degree
but Raul is the one we've missed most whilst out. He does play a more attacking role than some of our other midfielders which allows us to play more on front foot and to play our best formation.

Think Rui, Neves, Coady Dendonker, Traore, Raul are the other ones on their day who can have the most influence on games, also Neto and Podence starting to deliver.

R

reanswolf

I think stats only tell you so much, but yes he is very important to us defensively, no doubt.
Which comes as no surprise as he is an excellent defensive CM.

Looking at our midfield pairings so far: -

Neves-Mouts have played 5 games - scored 6, conceded 13!
Neves-Donk have played 6.5 games - scored 5, conceded 3
Mouts-Donk have played 3 games - scored 4, conceded 2
Neves-Otasowie have played 0.5 games - scored 2, conceded 1.
3 man midfield of Neves-Mouts-Donk have played 3 games - scored 2, conceded 5 (though 4 away v Liverpool).

You would expect us to be more effective defensively with Donk in there, as a big towering defensive player to add protection. Yes we need him in there to ensure we grind out these wins.

But to evolve, we will need to sort out how to score more than 1 per game. None of the midfield combinations have really produced that, though of course without Raul we know that has been an issue. But, interestingly, before Raul's injury, we had only scored 9 goals in 10 games, since then we have scored 10 goals in 9 games. So maybe that suggests scoring is a problem for us full stop.

DJW

Reaction score
He has hit the post, the bar and keepers have made multiple world class saves to stop him scoring. With a fractional change in luck and he could of scores 6 or so more goals. Poor lad gets no luck in front of goal but I'm sure that will change.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He brings a physicality that stops teams going through us IMO.

I also noticed in the last two games he played against Grealish that he is a very good one vs one defender. Then, he normally runs more than anyone, which is good for the pressing.

He's just a very good footballer both tactically and physically.

Like everyone else, areas to improve, his is notably scoring goals. No exaggeration to say he should be on 4/5 for the season, which transforms us.

But, he's in the XI every game when fit right now for me.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He is one of our most important players. I think Raul is more important, though. And probably Rui, too.

S G Wolves

Bad lover
Reaction score
As good as Donk's stats are I honestly think he can offer more, he can be that good. I sometimes feel he plays within himself or it just feels that way...

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think like Jonny the same goes for " The Donk " when they are in the line up myself and others take them for granted yet when they are not it becomes apparent how good they are.

I am beginning to think Leander is going to be the only player we will see at the end of the current campaign in any save of the season competition as so far the Southampton keeper Alex McCarthy pulled off a brilliant save against him as has the Newcastle keeper, Martinez for the Villa and now last night Jack Butland for Palace !

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He brings a physicality that stops teams going through us IMO.

I also noticed in the last two games he played against Grealish that he is a very good one vs one defender. Then, he normally runs more than anyone, which is good for the pressing.

He's just a very good footballer both tactically and physically.

Like everyone else, areas to improve, his is notably scoring goals. No exaggeration to say he should be on 4/5 for the season, which transforms us.

But, he's in the XI every game when fit right now for me.
I don't always agree with you but on this l think that you are spot on.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I feel Neves has become (again) our most important player, but Dendocker is the one whose absence is most noteworthy.

He's always ghosting in to the box or tracking back and picking up his man.

Yes, he's missed a lot of chances this season, but he gets in the right place to have them (a rare commodity for our midfield).

I'm a lot more confident with him in the XI

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

But Neves’ passing isn’t the only world class facet of his game, it’s his defensive work that puts him in that bracket.
His interceptions and tackles are right up there.
Yes he needs a physical partner to share the load and help stop him being over-run, but he IS himself a water carrier, with exceptional distribution.

Derbywolf85

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He doesn’t directly influence as much as he should with his size and physical presence, but the influence he does have allows others the influence the game - see Neves as an example. Much, much better when Donck is next to him.

I think we all know that Raul is our most important player, but Leander is also up there too.

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I really rate Donk, but our lack of finding the back of the net hints at Raul being our most important.

Back
Top Bottom