Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Interesting Article on our new Manager

lmuwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Superb read, encouraging to see a lot of people rating him tactically! Its all very refreshing!

S

SimplyTheWolves

It certainly is very encouraging, we have someone who given time will steadily build and hopefully get this club back amongst the top teams in English football. This article is similar to something on the Wolves blog thread on here, in the comments section it gives more of an insight of his time at Cologne which is very interesting. We do seem to have someone special, let's back him as much as we can.

In the article it mentions he likes to build his teams, so that could be handy for us in deciding his nickname, Bob?

PumpKing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
An honest, very fair and well informed appraisal.

Looks like we got us a good `un.

Never ever wanted to wish the summer away before, but I really wish it was August already.

S

SimplyTheWolves

An honest, very fair and well informed appraisal.

Looks like we got us a good `un.

Never ever wanted to wish the summer away before, but I really wish it was August already.

Now don't get excited PumpKing you'll have to wait like everybody else. :-D

Reaction score

Yeah it's kinda annoying we've been given a taster, but now nothing much will happen for a month or so. Presumably they only announced it because the media had got wind? Otherwise may have kept it quiet for a while longer

hoop

Reaction score
His transfer policy at FCK was sound, too: he tended to sell his most marketable players and replace them prudently and intelligently.

I bet Jez just got all excited when he read this. :D

Wolv3nsam

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't know about everybody else, but I'm fairly happy to sit tight in the Championship for a season or two if it means Stale can build a team that will challenge and play the 'right way'. I can't help but feel that if we get promoted this year we will just fall short again, unless a minor miracle happens of course.

Pengwern

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But AVB, like all Chelsea managers, was given no time at all to prove himself. At CHelsea, you hit the ground running or you are sacked. 65-year old managers can hit the ground running at Chelsea, but luck plays its part for even the best younger ones.

Sawluh (phonetic spelling from the article quoted)) will be given time at Wolves (at least by the Board, if not the fans), so don't worry, be happy.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He reminds me of AVB too. Obviously a good manager but a huge question mark over his ability to do "it" in England.

Macman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't know about everybody else, but I'm fairly happy to sit tight in the Championship for a season or two if it means Stale can build a team that will challenge and play the 'right way'. I can't help but feel that if we get promoted this year we will just fall short again, unless a minor miracle happens of course.

Wolv3nsam, my worry is sitting tight in the championship next season will be OK... but a second season sitting tight won't go down to well with the natives, even if there is a slight improvement and playing the right way. Wolves fans, as a collective, will start grumbling if a second season isn't successful.

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Excellent article and very encouraging. Will we at last see some INTELLIGENCE in Wolves football? Give the man time. My gut feeling is that he will do well for us.

S

SimplyTheWolves

Not keen on the insinuation re Boggies and Vile though.

Think they were just used as a reference to premiership clubs that maybe on the lookout for the type of manager Stale is.

C

Cruyff_Wulf

I think we are going to have to develop patience, a trait that we are not renowned for. I think August/September could be messy, as players try to adapt to new systems and Stahle works out who can fit in and who doesn't (don't see a wholesale change of personnel over the summer - just 'saleable' players going and a couple of Solbakken signings coming in). Genuinely believe he could turn us around and set us up for the 21st century provided he's given time, resources and a Club structure that supports his philosophy.

I'm excited!

Pengwern

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I reckon the Champ season is so long that you can, like Reading did last season, have a middling first half to the season and then go on a great run in the second half that takes you up. I think Mick did something like that, too.

Wolv3nsam

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If anything we had a great run first half, a dire period in Jan/Feb and then a mini-revival at the end.

W

Woffles

If anything we had a great run first half, a dire period in Jan/Feb and then a mini-revival at the end.

Under DJ in our other promotion season I seem to remember we were absolutely shocking up to Christmas and he was under real pressure. Then in the new year we went on a storming run which just saw us into the play offs.

F

FLEET WOLF

I don't see that really-we might struggle for the first season, but my guess is that there will be a few recently promoted clubs struggling even more by then. Things change quickly in football.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Read this earlier, does sound promising but I'm trying to restrict myself from being too enthusiastic because it could turn out to be a disaster.

B

Bankswolf II

I saw a link for 6 things Sheffield Wednesday can expect from Dave Jones and was disapointed choking was only number 3

Postive stuff not sure about the villa baggies link though I predict they will fight over out of work managers in this country rather than abroad

loopy lupine

Reaction score
Ultimately, though, Solbakken’s time at Wolves will depend on stability. The Norwegian is a legacy-builder, not a firefighter. Give him a house built on sand and he won’t be able to keep the tide from washing it away, but give him a sturdy foundation and he will create something that lasts.

This was the most interesting piece that I found in the article. I believe we do have a solid foundation, that was built by Mick, hopefully Stole will take us to that all singing, all dancing "next level" and we can then whinge and gripe about the fact we only finished 10th in the PL.

Vietnam Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thanks v much for posting that ... I'm briefly surfacing from an ocean of beer on holiday on a very small island [Bantayan] in the central Philippines ...

Looks like we've got just about as good as we could have ever hoped for ...

wolvesinwales

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sounds a bit Wenger like when it comes to selling and replacing wisely.

C

Cruyff_Wulf

I am officially labelling myself a Solbakken 'happy clapper'. May regret this come November!!

PumpKing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This was the most interesting piece that I found in the article. I believe we do have a solid foundation, that was built by Mick, hopefully Stole will take us to that all singing, all dancing "next level" and we can then whinge and gripe about the fact we only finished 10th in the PL.

We would be of course. With our fans, if we were champions folk would moan that the goal difference wasn`t better. :D

P

professor_fate

I would accept a second season in the Championship provided we finish strong (top 6-8) and show we play as a team. Plus he is going to need time to build his side the right way and learn how to attack more than one dimensional.

Boss Hogg

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I like the bit about the 'oak hearted' defence. Definitely need that here. Sadly, oaks take time to mature and I'm not convinced wolves fans will give him the time he needs.

X

XDevonwolf

Solbekken's hero is Shankly one of who's mantras was 'you start with a point, don't lose it', which was carried on by Clough.

A strong defence is paramount, and all great sides have been built this way.

This is why so many of us have been on about Wolves' fullbacks for so long. If Stolly can build us a solid defence then the foundations will be built.

Pengwern

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Solbekken's hero is Shankly one of who's mantras was 'you start with a point, don't lose it', which was carried on by Clough.

A strong defence is paramount, and all great sides have been built this way.

This is why so many of us have been on about Wolves' fullbacks for so long. If Stolly can build us a solid defence then the foundations will be built.

I agree, but it may well be the case that the problem lies less with the individual players in our back 4 than the lack of system / wrong-headed system in the way they have been asked to play. Both MM and TC have constantly bemoaned "individual errors", as do other managers, for goals conceded, but winning systems instil habits in players which make the risk of errors go down.

Ward is playing in the Euros and so Stale will see how he and Foley (if picked) get on as full backs under Trappatoni's system. From what I've seen, he looks better playing for Ireland in this position than for Wolves, which maybe confirms my point.

I rate Foley for his skills, passing and positioning, so I am not sure about our full backs being the weak link, but they have often bombed into attack when maybe Stale would tell them not to; from what I've read, he favours full backs who focus on that job, not on supporting the wingers. At FCK he played with Gronkjaer flitting between either flanks and using pace and skill in the centre of the field, so maybe SS would favour Jarvis, Kites or Hamill doing that.

Central Defence is where we do have to strengthen, no question. Batth looks good enough and Berra certainly is for this level; Mouyokolo's time may have come, but Craddock should retire, Johnson just has to go and Stearman needs a new start elsewhere. That means two new central defenders and I, for one, would be happy with 2 Germans, because, apart from Mertesacker, they know how to pass a Football.

Back
Top Bottom