Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

If Lage was to go who replaces him?

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Off main topic a bit.

Liam Keen posted on Twitter that Tony Roberts is staying to help Steve Davis and James Collins. The only one of Bruno’s backroom staff to currently keep his job.

Good goalkeeping coach imo, just hope he’s good at motivation, attacking football, tactics, substitutions and just about everything else that Bruno struggled with.

Should be out of the door as well.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Should be out of the door as well.
I agree tbh
I have no idea if hes a good keeper coach or not,but he doesnt seem much of a motivator to me
I heard all the backroom staff were out and thats the right thing to do,clean sweep and all that
If Lage had lost the dressing room, as we are all sure he had,then the rest of the backroom staff did little to help him ,so should all go with him imo

Jayjaywolves

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I don't understand why Cooper is considered a joke and this Bo whatever his face is isn't.
Goes to show that there aren't many ways for british managers to get jobs that are a step up on what they already have. If it's a choice between someone who seems like a nice guy at Mainz, or a guy that finally got Forest promoted I'll give it to the latter every time.
For the record, I'm not hugely taken with the Mainz option either. We need proven experience to come in. Not a 50/50 chance that something good might happen.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't understand why Cooper is considered a joke and this Bo whatever his face is isn't.
Goes to show that there aren't many ways for british managers to get jobs that are a step up on what they already have. If it's a choice between someone who seems like a nice guy at Mainz, or a guy that finally got Forest promoted I'll give it to the latter every time.

Did you watch the game last night? I had high hopes for Forest and Cooper after last season and the business they did in the summer, but they look awful at the moment, and he doesn’t look like he knows how to turn it around. I rate him as a coach, but him coming to Wolves on the back of that would scare me.

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Who cares about whether British managers get jobs or not? Regardless of whether he is a good enough manager, which I don't think he is, he's far too ugly to be considered anyway. Imagine having to look at him leading us every game. No thanks.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Did you watch the game last night? I had high hopes for Forest and Cooper after last season and the business they did in the summer, but they look awful at the moment, and he doesn’t look like he knows how to turn it around. I rate him as a coach, but him coming to Wolves on the back of that would scare me.
Yeah probably wrong appointment at the wrong time. But I think I feel the same way about Bo! Getting Mainz midtable effectively using us a template doesn't seem like anything to write home about.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Who cares about whether British managers get jobs or not? Regardless of whether he is a good enough manager, which I don't think he is, he's far too ugly to be considered anyway. Imagine having to look at him leading us every game. No thanks.
I can't believe he's only 43. Maybe the problem with British managers is their facial features?

Beeches wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Still think we should sound out Poch, (if we haven't already)
His reputation has taken a hit since his stint with PSG.
It seems to me top clubs are no longer looking at him, we could offer him an immediate return to the prem.
Only stumbling block could be cost.

EastDorsetWolf

Reaction score
Sack the manager that manages to drop us to 3rd bottom of the league and replace him with the manager who has got a team to be actually bottom of the league. Makes perfect sense! If any truth in this it has to be the dead hand of Sellars, surely?

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I actually do rate Cooper. But if he had any part in the idiotic idea of signingt 20+ players, then I dont want him anywhere near our club.
It was never ever going to work, because there's no core, no clear identity, no clear roles, or "partnerships".

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sorry if this has got lost in the numerous 'Lage Out' threads, but can someone let me know what Wolves are doing about replacing him.

Have we advertised the vacancy?
Are we currently interviewing or just going to make a Mendes appointment?
If interviewing, do we plan to interview, draw-up a short list and then interview again?
What is the time frame? Clearly unlikely to have a new man in place before Chelsea, but by when?

Just not sure how we plan to get a new manager!

Zico

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sorry if this has got lost in the numerous 'Lage Out' threads, but can someone let me know what Wolves are doing about replacing him.

Have we advertised the vacancy?
Are we currently interviewing or just going to make a Mendes appointment?
If interviewing, do we plan to interview, draw-up a short list and then interview again?
What is the time frame? Clearly unlikely to have a new man in place before Chelsea, but by when?

Just not sure how we plan to get a new manager!
I've never known a club publish their strategy and timelines for recruiting a new manager.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've never known a club publish their strategy and timelines for recruiting a new manager.
In the past we've talked about first and second interviews and aims to get replacements in by a certain time. This may have been during close season rather than during the season, though.
We've also advertised vacancies in the past.

Gasman

Reaction score
To me it just seems there is no ideal candidate. Wished we had try to get de Zerbi before he went to Brighton!

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In the past we've talked about first and second interviews and aims to get replacements in by a certain time. This may have been during close season rather than during the season, though.
We've also advertised vacancies in the past.

It's been 2 days, they'll still be at the shortlisting stage.

Jobs like this won't tend to make it onto Indeed.com or the Wolves job site as they'd have to sift through far too many timewasters thinking it's hilarious to apply with their Fantasy League or Football Manager record.

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If our candidates truly are:
Svensson, Lopetegui, Cooper, Eusebio de Francesco, Fonseca and Rafa, then there has never been a clearer sign, that we've no clear vision or strategy for how we want to play and that we badly need a good DOF.
All managers with qualities, and a few overlaps in style, but also some major differences. So whats the overall criteria? I seriously can't see it from those names.
But then again I sometimes wonder why we appointed Lage, when it was clear that our squad didnt fit what he wanted, and it was clear that we werent (at first) going to back him implement his style.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don’t know Jos. If the new coach wants to bring in someone different, then fair enough. But if not, I’d be ok with him staying if he is happy to adapt to a new coach.

I'm not sure at all mate. Dont like how you can hear him barking out orders in some games when he is the goalkeeper coach.

rg4352

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Svensson, Lopetegui, Cooper, Eusebio de Francesco, Fonseca and Rafa, then there has never been a clearer sign, that we've no clear vision or strategy for how we want to play and that we badly need a good DOF.
All managers with qualities, and a few overlaps in style, but also some major differences. So whats the overall criteria? I seriously can't see it from those names.
But then again I sometimes wonder why we appointed Lage, when it was clear that our squad didnt fit what he wanted, and it was clear that we werent (at first) going to back him implement his style.

Why does it show that? At the moment these are candidates that have either shown interest or if Percy is accurate 2 which we would deem strong candidates. I don’t imagine any of them have even been interviewed yet, I think it’s far too early to be blasting wolves for no clear vision/strategy - I’d imagine we’d get a better understanding of where their head is at when they’ve at least interviewed some of the options, and those options have had chance to put forward their strategy/vision.

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Given how tight our transfer business usually is (right up until a day or 2 before signing), I very much doubt so many journalists know our exact shortlist, so soon after it's been drawn up.

Vast majority of these are just thinking up possible names, and putting 2 and 2 together.

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think the problem was the 13 million euros that Sevilla would have had to pay Lopetegui. Wolves probably wanted him, Lopetegui wanted his 13 million and Sevilla didn't want to pay it.
Circumstances changed and agreements would have been made.
If he comes to Wolves which I believe he will, he will get my full support.

sedgwolf1980

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Massive no to Cooper from me, but…. Trawl back to, I think it was the summer transfer thread, and the amount of people on here with their nose right up his sphincter, seemingly for no other reason than he appears good at wasting other peoples money, would make for interesting reading.

Swear to god most people on here’s opinions of both players and managers are formed based on a maximum of 3 weeks into the past.

Reactions: Ian

clivewolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've just been reading an Athletic article on Bo Svensson published in March and he certainly says the rights things. He sounds like someone who is good with man management. Here's a couple of quotes -

'Svensson cares about everyone at the club, makes sure the team eats together and wants winning matches to come from hard work on the training ground and strong values. Unsurprisingly, his team has responded in turn.

“They always tend in the tight moments to find their way together,” Svensson says of his team. “And when you doubt them, they tend to show their best qualities — and that’s not just about winning the game or suddenly playing your best football when you need it, it’s also about solving the things that are needed for a group to function.

“That is the glue that makes the season or the club work. I’m sure a lot of coaches say that, and of course my job is to make sure we play good football and stay in the Bundesliga, but that’s not the main focus for me. My main focus is on trying to make sure we live up to all these nice words so we can really say, ‘OK, we have integrity’. And if there’s one thing I don’t like it’s a lot of talking and then not living up to that.”'

As he says himself it's probably what every other coach would say but I thought I'd share it.

Loefah

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I would rather have Tommy Cooper
You wouldn't lol. Maybe more people would want him if his name was Estêvão Cooperinho. The aversion to anything remotely British on here is getting silly.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think we put names out there to try and make it look as though we have a process.

I remember when Lage was appointed, it had been known for ages he would be appointed but we made out that we had this interview process and covered all bases. Weren't Benitez, Lampard and a few others linked?

I reckon it's the same here. Lopetegui's job unless something happens with Sevilla that can't force him out, so they'll speak to a few alternatives to make out as though it's a proper process but really it's Lopetegui's, in my opinion.

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As EvW pointed out, Coops was doing well until they recruiting enough players for two teams. Twenty one in total. Cooper noted during pre-season that whilst he was pleased with additions he preferred to work with a smaller squad.

I don't think any manager would be able to sort out that lot in so short a space of time.

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
I think we put names out there to try and make it look as though we have a process.

I remember when Lage was appointed, it had been known for ages he would be appointed but we made out that we had this interview process and covered all bases. Weren't Benitez, Lampard and a few others linked?

I reckon it's the same here. Lopetegui's job unless something happens with Sevilla that can't force him out, so they'll speak to a few alternatives to make out as though it's a proper process but really it's Lopetegui's, in my opinion.
It’s all equal ops you have to pretend your considering others as a box ticking exercise
Imv they know who it is as they did with Bruno but in the meantime we’re linked with every manager available

Back
Top Bottom