Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

If Lage was to go who replaces him?

SmiffyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If our candidates truly are:
Svensson, Lopetegui, Cooper, Eusebio de Francesco, Fonseca and Rafa, then there has never been a clearer sign, that we've no clear vision or strategy for how we want to play and that we badly need a good DOF.
All managers with qualities, and a few overlaps in style, but also some major differences. So whats the overall criteria? I seriously can't see it from those names.
But then again I sometimes wonder why we appointed Lage, when it was clear that our squad didnt fit what he wanted, and it was clear that we werent (at first) going to back him implement his style.
We appointed Lage for the project unfortunately unless this changes then lessons will not be learned imo . Shi will just roll out next gestifute client

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m firmly putting my flag in the ground, I want AVB and no one (realistic choices) else.

Premier Quality

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I’d take Steve cooper - he’s had an excellent career
So far doing well with England and Swansea before doing a great job getting forest promoted - then being swamped by new players by their mental Greek owner.

I think he’s an excellent coach and would do well for us.

Ugly bugger though.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So far doing well with England and Swansea before doing a great job getting forest promoted - then being swamped by new players by their mental Greek owner.

Ugly bugger though.
Not for me. Timing is wrong.
Just like I wouldn’t want Rogers if he gets saked.
They’ll both benefit from a bit of time off to recharge.

Bo actually sounds good but I think we need someone with more experience to come in mid season.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think we put names out there to try and make it look as though we have a process.

I remember when Lage was appointed, it had been known for ages he would be appointed but we made out that we had this interview process and covered all bases. Weren't Benitez, Lampard and a few others linked?

I reckon it's the same here. Lopetegui's job unless something happens with Sevilla that can't force him out, so they'll speak to a few alternatives to make out as though it's a proper process but really it's Lopetegui's, in my opinion.

Totally agree. I think the other candidates are to ensure we have a viable backup should something prevent us signing Lopetegui, and also to stop Sevilla holding out for us to pay them compensation for a manager who they’re planning to sack anyway. Shi will spend money when he needs to, but he likes value or acquisitions which he believes will grow in value.

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score

Ugly bugger though.
What has impressed you, he seems a decent championship manager to me so far

so-called fan

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Last edited:

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
Wanted Fonseca when we appointed Bruno. Would be very pleased with him now.

Lopetegui has a great pedigree and the credibility that his relationship with Neves would bring. My biggest concern would be about him jumping straight from one team suffering from extended run of poor results / performances to another.

Svensson sounds really exciting but would undoubtedly be a risk. Also not sure we have the squad to implement a high-tempo gegenpress (Diego and Adama may spontaneously combust).

I’m naturally fairly risk averse so would probably be leaning towards Fonseca or AVB who has a good record in multiple leagues and the benefit of having worked in the Premier League before.

theweave

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He feels more of a gamble than AVB and whilst I’m not one who’s panicking about a relegation battle (yet) that could happen if we don’t start getting results in the short term. I’d fancy AVB to hit the ground running.
Would be very short term, wants to run for Porto president in 2024

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why does it show that? At the moment these are candidates that have either shown interest or if Percy is accurate 2 which we would deem strong candidates. I don’t imagine any of them have even been interviewed yet, I think it’s far too early to be blasting wolves for no clear vision/strategy - I’d imagine we’d get a better understanding of where their head is at when they’ve at least interviewed some of the options, and those options have had chance to put forward their strategy/vision.

Of course it might be too early to judge anything. But usually well functioning clubs have a certain tactical identity and style and a manager needs to fit into that vision.
You can't have the manager make the overall strategy/vision because managers come and go. Having said that, if the overall strategy doesn't exist, it is of course much better to have the manager come in with a clear vision. Nuno obviously had that. Problem of course was the identity crisis once he left.

As for now I don't think we have a clear identity and as such it might as you suggest, be better to let the candidates put forward their vision
But in the long run we need a clear identity that doesnt change whenever we change manager.

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Tactical philosophies in short:

Di Francesco - attacking full backs, wingers, 433/451, high defensive line and man-oriented high press /counter-press
Lopetegui - attacking full-backs, 433/4231, man-oriented counter-press, flank-to-flank build-up play
Fonseca - attacking full-backs, 4231/3421, possession-based from the back and flank-to-flank build-up play, lone striker adept at hold-up and lay-offs
Svensson - wing-backs, 3412/532/343, aggressive press, progression through vertical spaces, efficient attacks without a recognised prolific striker

Does seem to at least be some pattern to the suggestions

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Tactical philosophies in short:

Di Francesco - attacking full backs, wingers, 433/451, high defensive line and man-oriented high press /counter-press
Lopetegui - attacking full-backs, 433/4231, man-oriented counter-press, flank-to-flank build-up play
Fonseca - attacking full-backs, 4231/3421, possession-based from the back and flank-to-flank build-up play, lone striker adept at hold-up and lay-offs
Svensson - wing-backs, 3412/532/343, aggressive press, progression through vertical spaces, efficient attacks without a recognised prolific striker

Does seem to at least be some pattern to the suggestions

attacking full backs 4-3-3 (Press)

RichB

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Is he quoting Percy or just including him to get attention? I'm not sure how some of this stuff works.

Edit: I think it's just nonsense. If somebody asked the club "Will you consider Cooper if he gets sacked?" I don't imagine for a moment they would answer.

It’s just a click bait more so. Exaggerate or take a flippant quote out of context and then make a crazy headline so people click on the page. Nothing more nothing less

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Leonardo Jardim from pretty much nowhere (least an hour ago) has gone to 1/4.

Premier Quality

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
What has impressed you, he seems a decent championship manager to me so far
His players all love him, he’s a superb coach and develops youth really well. Likes to play passing, attacking football, and until this season has always been more successful than the budget position would expect.

This season is an anomoly caused by his chairman being a looney tune. (IMO)

RichB

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Leonardo Jardim from pretty much nowhere (least an hour ago) has gone to 1/4.
Where?

Still 25/1 skybet and 28/1 bet365

However the wolves manager market has disappeared from Betfair. Which often means somethings happening/happened

Muscat

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Where?

Still 25/1 skybet and 28/1 bet365

However the wolves manager market has disappeared from Betfair. Which often means somethings happening/happened

The market is still there, and nothing has been laid on Jardim.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Disappeared off my Betfair. I lumped on Lopetegui earlier.

My guess is a system fault.
Can’t find anything on our next manager on my PP account either.

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You wouldn't lol. Maybe more people would want him if his name was Estêvão Cooperinho. The aversion to anything remotely British on here is getting silly.
Nothing to do with being British. His senior club football accolades of two unsuccessful play-offs, one promotion and a handful of premier League appearances (mostly defeats) having just been sacked by a relegation rival don't cut the mustard.

And he looks like a crackhead chewing a wasp.

I can't even take him seriously, let alone the players

Back
Top Bottom