Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Hwang

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not knocking them. FairPlay if they are travelling all that way to watch us or hwang (delete as appropriate)

Just highlighting that they are the ideal fan for the club nowadays compared to us “legacy” fans
I know that you weren't knocking them, nor was l.

"All that way" in many cases means a trip from Euston. The vast majority of Koreans resident in the UK are in London or thereabouts.

Golden_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thought other than one theatrical dive, he played the striker role much better

Battled better, put himself about, looked to between CB & FBs. Should have had another goal but much more like it from Hwang. Unlucky not to have an assist for Toti too.

Shout-out to the idiots a couple rows behind me in J8 Steve Bull giving Hwang abuse all game. Bellends.

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’ll never get the Hwang hate. We’ve been moaning for years that we don’t have many goals in us and need a genuine goalscorer, one comes along and all of a sudden his all round game isn’t good enough.
Definitely no ‘hate’ from me.

He’s really proved himself this season. Double figures in goals scored and he’s missed a fair few games with injury.

Excellent player imo and he’s been vitally important to us.

oldgoldheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thought other than one theatrical dive, he played the striker role much better

Battled better, put himself about, looked to between CB & FBs. Should have had another goal but much more like it from Hwang. Unlucky not to have an assist for Toti too.

Shout-out to the idiots a couple rows behind me in J8 Steve Bull giving Hwang abuse all game. Bellends.
A guy behind me wanted him subbed after 10 nins snd carried on all game. Billy wright upper

berwickwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I know, just bizarre isn't it. The hate he gets is just pathetic at times.
Pathetic?! That's a way to cut out any discussion, and a bit self entitled/arrogant perhaps? No other opinion on a player except yours?
I'm one of those that doesn't rate Hwang. I don't hate him and I'm glad when he scores. I'm also very aware that I may well be wrong and there are many better football observers than me.
But it's not an irrational hate and its not Pathetic. I think his first touch is often poor; he misplaced quite easy passes; his movement off the ball is often poor, there are better channels available; he was easily outplayed by their central defender yesterday, never won a 50 50; he should have played in Ait Nouri, I think, for a goal but fizzed in too hard a pass; his one on one was poor; the goal he scored was a deflection; he goes down too easily and waves his hands about too readily.
However, his movement to score the goal was excellent, his header that was disallowed was excellent, and he does try hard at times to close people down.
Now, this is not hatred, its my view of Hwang as a player. I hope he continues to score goals and proves me absolutely wrong. This is a Wolves forum, we are allowed our opinions of our players.

wallace

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He has pace, works the opposition hard and is excellent in the opposition area with his finishing. 12 goals in 28 games this season, a top class return by him.
I would like to have seen more of him playing off a fit jimenez in a front two.

Pengwern

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hwang, Cunha and Neto, together with our other players are players we should keep because they inevitably get injuries from time to time because the EPL is intense & because we've had a small squad. Our players are tired because of that. Other teams have similar problems, but the sides that have big squads of talented players can rotate and keep them relatively injury-free, or, if they can't, have plenty of time to recover due to the big squads they have.

That's why we need to recruit more talented players and build up our best young players and other young players we recruit, give them well-thought-out loans or give them time working with the first team until they are ready.

Hwang has a brilliant turn on him, like Podence, to create space and then unleash a shot, like he did yesterday, or a pass. If Nelson had spotted him in space and passed to him, Hwang would've had two goals yesterday; he is a top poacher.

dewolfman

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I like Hwang, when he's bad he can be very bad but he's been good on the whole this season and his games to goals ratio is decent. Neto, Cunha, Hwang and another striker will be great to have next season.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No idea. He was a lone voice but a loud one. Later on someone reminded him hwang had scored
Funny that you say that but there was some AH in the NBU giving Hwang dog's abuse for missing the one on one. Of course l had to massively praise Hwang to said ******* when he scored....

Premier Quality

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Hwang is a really good finisher, and good at finding space in the box too - and at times his touch in the box can be excellent.

He’s terrible at everything else though - he can’t dribble, can’t cross, his touch outside of the box is shocking, he can’t head, doesn’t even try to challenge defenders in the air, he can’t see an incisive pass, and most of his passes are backwards.

Personally, I like a forward that scores goals, yes - but I also like them to be able to contribute in other ways too. When we don’t give Hwang the ball in good shooting positions, he’s an absolute passenger.

Wolves Heathen

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If anyone comes up with £20 million for him that would be very useful, and could buy us at least a couple of young South Americans or young French prospects.

WW1963

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If anyone comes up with £20 million for him that would be very useful, and could buy us at least a couple of young South Americans or young French prospects.
People might be reading this from other clubs. Edit to say £50m because some will pay that without hesitation.

MrJamez

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Hwang is a really good finisher, and good at finding space in the box too - and at times his touch in the box can be excellent.

He’s terrible at everything else though - he can’t dribble, can’t cross, his touch outside of the box is shocking, he can’t head, doesn’t even try to challenge defenders in the air, he can’t see an incisive pass, and most of his passes are backwards.

Personally, I like a forward that scores goals, yes - but I also like them to be able to contribute in other ways too. When we don’t give Hwang the ball in good shooting positions, he’s an absolute passenger.
He can’t head? What was the disallowed goal on Wednesday then?

FJRWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
He actually won quite a few headers against Bournemouth, unfortunately he was fighting a lone battle up front for most the game and there was no-one to get on the end of them.

Ian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Pathetic?! That's a way to cut out any discussion, and a bit self entitled/arrogant perhaps? No other opinion on a player except yours?
I'm one of those that doesn't rate Hwang. I don't hate him and I'm glad when he scores. I'm also very aware that I may well be wrong and there are many better football observers than me.
But it's not an irrational hate and its not Pathetic. I think his first touch is often poor; he misplaced quite easy passes; his movement off the ball is often poor, there are better channels available; he was easily outplayed by their central defender yesterday, never won a 50 50; he should have played in Ait Nouri, I think, for a goal but fizzed in too hard a pass; his one on one was poor; the goal he scored was a deflection; he goes down too easily and waves his hands about too readily.
However, his movement to score the goal was excellent, his header that was disallowed was excellent, and he does try hard at times to close people down.
Now, this is not hatred, its my view of Hwang as a player. I hope he continues to score goals and proves me absolutely wrong. This is a Wolves forum, we are allowed our opinions of our players.

Even if they are wrong!
Personally those saying sell Hwang for £20m and replace him with 2 young ( unproven) South Americans are way off the mark.
My only criticisms of Hee Chan are his theatrics and also he’s injury prone….

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Is this our best scoring season in the Prem? Is Hwang our joint top scorer in this top-scoring season, despite missing a number of games?

Asking for a friend!

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Even if they are wrong!
Personally those saying sell Hwang for £20m and replace him with 2 young ( unproven) South Americans are way off the mark.
My only criticisms of Hee Chan are his theatrics and also he’s injury prone….
His theatrics are so annoying, I agree. I must admit I’m sick to death of him going down holding his face 3 or 4 times a game, he’s a stocky lad and I’d love for him to make himself more of a physical nuisance letting defenders know they’re going to get knocked over a few times a game if they dwell on the ball.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Is this our best scoring season in the Prem? Is Hwang our joint top scorer in this top-scoring season, despite missing a number of games?

Asking for a friend!
Yea but the issue with him is that he’s not prime Drogba so he’s apparently rubbish.

Glow69

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

So the two things we've craved for how long are the two his very good at. Great player to have for the level we are at.

NewOrder306

Groupie
Reaction score
My view is he is not an intelligent forward, effort 100% but he spends so much energy making runs at the wrong time and into the wrong areas. Often on Saturday, we would play the ball out from the back and he would start his run seconds before Marion or Jao or Max had seen him, make his move and by the time they are ready to to send the ball he in already 3 yards offside or wrestling with the defender. He had several chances to go around and into space but seems more intent of trying to draw fouls than winning the ball. Cannot knock anyone who outs in the effort but I sometimes scratch my head on the amount of opportunities he could of had if he had taken the right option - and then goes and takes the same option again.......aggghhhhhhhh..........:eek:

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This season in the PL, 11 goals plus 3 assists in the equivalent of 19 full games (1885 minutes). That's 22 a season if we a keep him fit, rather than flogging him (and the other forwards) to death. Under GON he's playing more centrally and off the shoulder of the last defender, which is surely his best position.

For me and I guess many on here, his goal efficiency is the key, rather than his marketability, which is no more than a bonus.
You do realise that in one post you have pointed out he’s played the equivalent of 19 games…. Then stated he’s been “flogged to death” !

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

So we dont sign Haaland then?

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He's the Dave Edwards of forwards

His all round game has never been good enough, he doesn't see what's going on around him and has the touch of a trampoline. Case in point Saturday, clearance from the back and Cunha was obviously going to win the header, all he would be able to do with it was flick it on. Hwang should have been on his bike anticipating the flick, instead he stood there watching as Cunha flicked the ball into the space behind their defence that he should have been running in to. I wouldn't back him to get double figures again, Saturday's goal was his first for us this calendar year. He's a good finisher (mostly) but any reasonable offer comes in in the summer and I'd be looking to replace him. He's just as likely to go back to getting five or six next season. His purple patch in autumn was just that and when he isn't scoring he doesn't contribute enough to the team, just like Mr Edwards

glorybox

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’ll never get the Hwang hate. We’ve been moaning for years that we don’t have many goals in us and need a genuine goalscorer, one comes along and all of a sudden his all round game isn’t good enough.
Precisely this. People say we have lacked a "fox in the box". Hwang is absolutely this. His general play outside the box is average but inside it he is excellent. If we create chances he will score.

glorybox

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He's the Dave Edwards of forwards

His all round game has never been good enough, he doesn't see what's going on around him and has the touch of a trampoline. Case in point Saturday, clearance from the back and Cunha was obviously going to win the header, all he would be able to do with it was flick it on. Hwang should have been on his bike anticipating the flick, instead he stood there watching as Cunha flicked the ball into the space behind their defence that he should have been running in to. I wouldn't back him to get double figures again, Saturday's goal was his first for us this calendar year. He's a good finisher (mostly) but any reasonable offer comes in in the summer and I'd be looking to replace him. He's just as likely to go back to getting five or six next season. His purple patch in autumn was just that and when he isn't scoring he doesn't contribute enough to the team, just like Mr Edwards
Ridiculous statement. He's played a handful of matches half fit in 2024! And had a perfectly good goal disallowed against Bournemouth!

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

If those young prospects can match Hwang's 10+ goals, won't the cost even more than him? And if they can't match his 10+ goals (spoiler - they won't), then how will we replace his goal scoring?

I thought he troubled Luton's back line from the start, He was the only player troubling Luton's defence. The guy marking him was not having a comfortable time of it. It was no surprise when Hwang did score the first.

We still are nowhere near prolific goal scorers, toddling along at a rate higher than the bottom 6 (apart from Luton, who we wouldn't have beaten if Hwang wasn't playing). Take 10 goals off and we will be back down in that bottom 6. I don't care that his control is wayward, as long as he remains a composed finisher and scores at the rate he has this season.

You'll miss him when he's gone!

Pseudonym

Groupie
Reaction score
1714385167010.png

"In the 18 Premier League matches Hwang and Cunha have started together, Wolves have scored more goals per game and conceded fewer than in the 17 one or both has not started; and they have recorded a 50 per cent win percentage and 1.7 points per game with both starting, compared to 23.5 per cent and 1.1 points without one or both.
In comparison, Wolves’ win percentage is just 29 per cent and their points-per-game average 1.1 with both Cunha and Neto starting, compared to an improved 43 per cent and 1.4 without one or both. And in nine games with Hwang and Neto starting together, they have won 56 per cent of their matches and averaged two points, compared to 31 per cent and 1.1 points without one or both. So while all three forwards have made excellent contributions to Wolves’ season, these basic statistics suggest it was Hwang whose presence is most important to the team finding a successful attacking combination"

Seems like Hwang is pretty important. Read more here

Last edited:

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What we have to consider is that he hasnt really been fit this year,thats a third of the season
He went to the Asian Cup half fit and came back worse

Hes just getting back to something like fit and has scored really in his last 2 games VAR excepted
Hes not perfect by any means, but hes the closest we have to a natural striker

If you look at the best strikers in world football not many work that hard off the ball ,or have great passing ability
Its a strikers nature to look for goal rather than a pass

He does track back and work hard when fully fit, ive seen him put in some great tackles in the past

We all cry about having no striker then moan about the one we actually do have
Is there better?Ofc but there are far worse

fleck1

Reaction score
I know, just bizarre isn't it. The hate he gets is just pathetic at times.
To be fair you don't need to look far for someone to be telling you Kane and Haaland aren't very good as all they do is score goals (40/50 a season but they don't do anything else). If it wasn't for the Asia cup mid season there is a good chance he goes past Rauls best season in the prem for us.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Whilst hes not prime fat Ronaldo, you must watch a different player to me. For his size he won a fair amount of battles on saturday against some huge defenders. Cant dribble? Think he travels well with the ball. As for only passing backwards, whats his other option when like Saturday he was the player most forward with the next player a good 10 yards behind him. His work rate off the ball both defensively when closing down but attacking wise (hes always making runs) are a big part of our game.

I personally think he suffers from the "wolves curse" that has hit so many players over time. He had a bad spell and people made their minds up on him and no matter what he does now they will still find fault.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Even he biggest doubters can't say he hasn't exceeded everybody's expectations this season....we was all wondering where the goals were coming from and Hwang has more than stepped up to the plate ..he has already beat Jota best return in a premier league season for us and had it not been for Asia could have beat Jimenez best return...

Cunha gets all the plaudits for his performance at Chelsea and rightly so but Hwang against Brentford was equally as impressive.....

The lad isn't perfect but the sticks he gets is way ,way , way overboard..,.

Last edited:

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
View attachment 42384

"In the 18 Premier League matches Hwang and Cunha have started together, Wolves have scored more goals per game and conceded fewer than in the 17 one or both has not started; and they have recorded a 50 per cent win percentage and 1.7 points per game with both starting, compared to 23.5 per cent and 1.1 points without one or both.
In comparison, Wolves’ win percentage is just 29 per cent and their points-per-game average 1.1 with both Cunha and Neto starting, compared to an improved 43 per cent and 1.4 without one or both. And in nine games with Hwang and Neto starting together, they have won 56 per cent of their matches and averaged two points, compared to 31 per cent and 1.1 points without one or both. So while all three forwards have made excellent contributions to Wolves’ season, these basic statistics suggest it was Hwang whose presence is most important to the team finding a successful attacking combination"

Seems like Hwang is pretty important. Read more here
Surprised at the Cunha and Neto stats tbh,obviously a more natural striker suits them both better

Back
Top Bottom