Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Hwang

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The sky fell in and our squad was too weak when we lost away at West Ham. We were about to drop into the relegation battle. What actually happened? We went on our best winning run of the season.

The sky fell in and out squad was too weak after we lost to Brentford and Cunha got injured. What actually happened? We won our next three games.

The sky is falling in again after the Newcastle defeat and the 'I told you so' brigade are thinking they have finally got their gotcha moment, especially with Neto going off at half time. Let's see how it pans out. Whatever happens, it's been a successful season and we didn't spaff money up the the wall on second rate squad fillers. This season has been fine and gives us a chance to look at the squad properly in the summer.
Agree with absolutely every word of that mate. I’m sure they’d deny it but some are definitely desperate for results to alter so they can have their “I told you so” moment. It’s noticeable they disappear for weeks on end when the going is good but turn up about 3 minutes after full time when we lose.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So no, no one would have questioned the limited squad had we won and ended up 3 points off 6th place. Sometimes as fans we just have to take the medicine of a defeat without searching for xyz to blame it on. I’m suprised Shi and Fosun don’t get blamed for the weather on here sometimes
Yes, they would. I said the majority, not all. It's not really relevant to the point though.

We lost to Newcastle because of our tactical approach and because they had a better team. They also had a better manager on the day, who tactically got the better of O'Neil after about 20 minutes into the match. All of that has been discussed on the verdict thread.

Injuries, the January window, squad size and whether we can beat Fulham/Coventry to keep our season alive are all factors irrelevant to losing to a good Newcastle team.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes, they would. I said the majority, not all. It's not really relevant to the point though.

We lost to Newcastle because of our tactical approach and because they had a better team. They also had a better manager on the day, who tactically got the better of O'Neil after about 20 minutes into the match. All of that has been discussed on the verdict thread.

Injuries, the January window, squad size and whether we can beat Fulham/Coventry to keep our season alive are all factors irrelevant to losing to a good Newcastle team.
Yet none of that last paragraph would have been raised had we won, this you know. It’d been talk of Europe and GON being the second coming of Alex Ferguson. There is absolutely no way after a victory away at Newcastle would anyone be discussing injuries, the window or squad size. Don’t be daft.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yet none of that last paragraph would have been raised had we won, this you know. It’d been talk of Europe and GON being the second coming of Alex Ferguson. There is absolutely no way after a victory away at Newcastle would anyone be discussing injuries, the window or squad size. Don’t be daft.
I know, I literally said the majority wouldn't and I explained because it would be shot down by posters like you.

It doesn't change the whether the point is valid or not.

To be fair, some of it is linked. For example, Fulham at home wouldn't be as must-win (if we want to finish top 8) as it now is had we beat Newcastle. So the result mattered in that context.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Will need replacing in the summer for me, decent goal scorer but cannot be relied on enough with his injuries. We’ll never get a full season out of him.
The problem is that we likely wouldn't get enough for him, for exactly that reason, to get a replacement of similar or better quality.

Ian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Will need replacing in the summer for me, decent goal scorer but cannot be relied on enough with his injuries. We’ll never get a full season out of him.

Yep, I'm a Hwang fan and believe we are a better team when he's on the pitch ...BUT..... he misses far too many games through injury and if we can get a decent price for him i'd move him on.

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Went on a Molineux stadium tour last week and thoroughly enjoyed it (tour guide was excellent and recommend).

Tour guide mentioned that Hwang regularly stays behind after home matches to sign autographs and have photographs taken.

He’s an excellent ambassador of our great club and it is unfortunate that injuries are blighting his progress.

Always has a smile on his face and I just want him back and injury free. He’s been excellent this season.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If he’s back in 2 weeks with Cunha we might start scoring again!?

As for Neto guessing he might come on against palace and wave goodbye lol

groundhogwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This season, in the same way we operated with Nuno in charge, a small squad works, however for a good couple of seasons our injuries were negligible, then we managed to qualify for Europe and the number of games killed us, unfortunately this term Bellegarde, Hwang and Neto have been had injuries that have disrupted our momentum and put pressure on the remaining group, leading to more injuries.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Before the Asian Cup, Hwang was in a purple-patch. He came back from that tournament injured and we are now suffering because of that. He certainly suffers with niggling injuries and might be better suited as a squad filler, rather than the go-to striker, depending on whether and whom we sign in the summer.
As others have said, might be an opportunity to cash in.

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If he’s back in 2 weeks with Cunha we might start scoring again!?

As for Neto guessing he might come on against palace and wave goodbye lol
Trouble is that Hwang, Cunha and Neto will need most of what’s left of the season to get up to match speed again.

I’m sure they will all be very wary of their injuries and will need a bit of nursing.

Those 3 together and fully fit, would score against most teams, but they have had serious injuries which take time to heal and may affect their confidence.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Before the Asian Cup, Hwang was in a purple-patch. He came back from that tournament injured and we are now suffering because of that. He certainly suffers with niggling injuries and might be better suited as a squad filler, rather than the go-to striker, depending on whether and whom we sign in the summer.
As others have said, might be an opportunity to cash in.
I think he was injured before he went tbh,calf injury?

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Trouble is that Hwang, Cunha and Neto will need most of what’s left of the season to get up to match speed again.

I’m sure they will all be very wary of their injuries and will need a bit of nursing.

Those 3 together and fully fit, would score against most teams, but they have had serious injuries which take time to heal and may affect their confidence.

While I agree regarding Hwang and Cunha, I do fear for the future of Neto. His game is built on his pace, but with hamstring problems, his greatest asset is always likely to suffer. Neto has had injuries before, but the latest one could inhibit him. I hope I am wrong, but I doubt that Neto will ever play another full season injury free. Which is a great shame because he is very talented.

WW1963

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Both Hwang and Neto. Their injury records make for abysmal reading and because of that, I doubt we'll get much more than £60m the pair.

Greeno

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Both Hwang and Neto. Their injury records make for abysmal reading and because of that, I doubt we'll get much more than £60m the pair.
Would do that, they’re worth £0 to us for large chunks of the season, sadly.

Who knows what the market might look like next season with all the belt-tightening.

Eastern Wolf

Reaction score
I've been supportive of Hwang in the face of all the abuse he gets. But so long as he's been with us he has struggled with injuries. With his track record we really can't trust him to last a full season. I don't mean we need to replace him as I dont think we'll get a great amount of money for him, but we need to find someone more reliable than him in terms of fitness.
Without saying we definitely need more capable bodies in that department anyway.

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The way the market will go with teams mostly having less wiggle room financially, and their injury histories....I would snap your hand off for 60 million

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This season, in the same way we operated with Nuno in charge, a small squad works, however for a good couple of seasons our injuries were negligible, then we managed to qualify for Europe and the number of games killed us, unfortunately this term Bellegarde, Hwang and Neto have been had injuries that have disrupted our momentum and put pressure on the remaining group, leading to more injuries.
Having Jimenez made a big difference. Players could play in their natural positions. Neto or Hwang could pass to someone . Now these guys have to run too much. Having a central striker is more than just scoring goals.

groundhogwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Having Jimenez made a big difference. Players could play in their natural positions. Neto or Hwang could pass to someone . Now these guys have to run too much. Having a central striker is more than just scoring goals.
Jimenez at his peak a proper premier league centre forward who was worth a fortune until that Brazilian bone heads assault.

Monketron

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Jimenez at his peak a proper premier league centre forward who was worth a fortune until that Brazilian bone heads assault.

Yep, second only to Kane at the time as someone who was comfortable both dropping deep and playing that no10 support role or pushing up as the no9 target man role.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Agreed . But Premier league teams are littered with "acceptable" central strikers , that are better than none and with the ability to be a target and hold up play.

Last edited:

groundhogwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Agreed . But Premier league teams are littered with "acceptable" central strikers , that are better than none and with the ability to be a target and hold up play.
Leicester had acceptable strikers, that alone didn’t save them, but agree one would be nice.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Leicester had acceptable strikers, that alone didn’t save them, but agree one would be nice.
It is more than just about avoiding relegation . This is professional football and it needs to be played with the basics.
For me a goalscoring central striker is almost a basic of professional football. Its what got me addicted to Wolves as a kid.

groundhogwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It is more than just about avoiding relegation . This is professional football and it needs to be played with the basics.
For me a goalscoring central striker is almost a basic of professional football. Its what got me addicted to Wolves as a kid.
I always remember years ago Emile Heskey being described as a non scoring centre forward as if this was normal, blew my mind.

db86

Groupie
Reaction score
He’s probably the best we’ve got at the moment under the circumstances but for me shouldn’t be in the starting eleven if we want to progress.

He’s becoming more and more theatrical with going down etc. to the point where he becomes a hindrance in my view. Yesterday he was pretty much through and then decided to needlessly throw himself to the floor looking for a non existent foul. This isn’t the only time he does it and then we are straight on the back foot.

Commercially though the club will see him invaluable. You only need to see the influx of Korean fans with bags full of merchandise on a match day…Jeff’s ideal perfect match going ” fan”. Full price match day ticket sale and the tills ringing in the club shop. Moment hwang leaves that’s all gone. Just need to look at the Mexican fan base which quickly went

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He’s probably the best we’ve got at the moment under the circumstances but for me shouldn’t be in the starting eleven if we want to progress.

He’s becoming more and more theatrical with going down etc. to the point where he becomes a hindrance in my view. Yesterday he was pretty much through and then decided to needlessly throw himself to the floor looking for a non existent foul. This isn’t the only time he does it and then we are straight on the back foot.

Commercially though the club will see him invaluable. You only need to see the influx of Korean fans with bags full of merchandise on a match day…Jeff’s ideal perfect match going ” fan”. Full price match day ticket sale and the tills ringing in the club shop. Moment hwang leaves that’s all gone. Just need to look at the Mexican fan base which quickly went
Loads of Koreans there yesterday again, all loaded with merchandise as you say.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’ll never get the Hwang hate. We’ve been moaning for years that we don’t have many goals in us and need a genuine goalscorer, one comes along and all of a sudden his all round game isn’t good enough.

Supadavewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This season in the PL, 11 goals plus 3 assists in the equivalent of 19 full games (1885 minutes). That's 22 a season if we a keep him fit, rather than flogging him (and the other forwards) to death. Under GON he's playing more centrally and off the shoulder of the last defender, which is surely his best position.

For me and I guess many on here, his goal efficiency is the key, rather than his marketability, which is no more than a bonus.

Aurum Lupus

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The biggest problem with Hwang is that he is very similar to Haaland. If he doesn't score, he doesn't really offer much. Having said that though, we shouldn't be looking to offload him for some of the derisory sums that have been mentioned. Since Raul we've spent a lot of money on forwards that before Hwang and Cunha didn't deliver. Replacing a player that gets double figure goals is ridiculously hard!

Back
Top Bottom