Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

How would you finish the season?

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Who would ask for a refund on their season ticket if the remainder of the season had to be played behind closed doors
I wouldn’t
I'm sure that most people would, particularly if the prices go up again for next season.

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If that was the price to pay for non playing staff not to lose out financially so be it
Fosun made a profit of well over a billion pounds in 2019. Some of the players earn 100k a week.

Titch

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Who would ask for a refund on their season ticket if the remainder of the season had to be played behind closed doors
I wouldn’t
I most definitely would. We are not a small little family run club, some of the players are on upward of 100k a week, most at least 50k. The owners are billionaires.
Me and many other Wolves fans have no work and no pay at the minute or for the foreseeable future.
In years gone by I went to every testimonial game to support many an ex-player, but the game has long since changed from then.

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I realise that but Fosun are the global umbrella.The club has to stand on its own two feet more and more
I get that, but in this pandemic I personally don’t think it’s down to the fans to sort the employees out in this terrible situation. A lot of us have worries about work now.

To be fair it’s a pointless argument as I honestly think the owners will do the right thing by the employees and the fans.

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
I get that, but in this pandemic I personally don’t think it’s down to the fans to sort the employees out in this terrible situation. A lot of us have worries about work now.

To be fair it’s a pointless argument as I honestly think the owners will do the right thing by the employees and the fans.
They probably will and I am sure the players would take a pay cut down the line too.
Don’t get me wrong I have every sympathy what many fans are going through at the minute both work and money wise.

inaglasshouse

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This litigation argument is getting on my tits. The club's are part of an organisation whether they like it or not. If clubs vote for a solution then that's the end if it.
That's why the most likely solution will be the one that pleases the most clubs. That will be to end the season with the tables frozen with Liverpool rightly crowned champions and no relegation.
The top teams in each league below will feel cheated so bung them some compo, villa and west ham can pay.
Ignore the euro placings and plan to start the season late e.g october with the EL and CL restarting/replaying from the knockout stage to complete this year's competitions and reduce congestion. This will give the team's the right time from August to have a proper pre-season and reduce the number of fixtures with no more Europe this calendar year and no league cup at all. No FA cup replays and why not let the lower team play at home in each tie if it makes financial sense for them.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This litigation argument is getting on my tits. The club's are part of an organisation whether they like it or not. If clubs vote for a solution then that's the end if it.
That's why the most likely solution will be the one that pleases the most clubs. That will be to end the season with the tables frozen with Liverpool rightly crowned champions and no relegation.
The top teams in each league below will feel cheated so bung them some compo, villa and west ham can pay.
Ignore the euro placings and plan to start the season late e.g october with the EL and CL restarting/replaying from the knockout stage to complete this year's competitions and reduce congestion. This will give the team's the right time from August to have a proper pre-season and reduce the number of fixtures with no more Europe this calendar year and no league cup at all. No FA cup replays and why not let the lower team play at home in each tie if it makes financial sense for them.
Frankly the chances that there will not be litigation if the season isn't finished is pretty much zero. The effect on your tits will not figure in the calculations.

Last edited:

Guzeppi

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The effect on your tits will not figure in the calculations.

Thank you !

This will be entered into the "Covid-19 Funniest Quips" Competition.

It's a great contender in my opinion, and stands a very good chance of winning this prestigious competition.
Just a reminder: The "Covid-19 Funniest Quips" will run till October.
Winners will be decided in November and announced in early December 2020. In the grand finale, the rules and conditions of next year's Competition for Covid-20 will also be unveiled.

Ponty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Absolutely no reason not to complete fixtures. Then start next season a little later. If time is short just play each team once in the 2020/21 season, with a draw to see which games are at home and away.

RMNottm

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes
I think the season is over. I cannot see any way that thousands of fans will be allowed to congregate any time soon.

And playing behind closed doors defeats the object.

Write the season off and give Liverpool the title, they deserve it.
you cannot write off the season and give Liverpool the title

Cornwall Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
If no more games can be played the fairest system would be to take the average points earned from games played this season and multiply by 38 .. fairest all round

Hereford Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Begin everything again in March 2021. Just take up where we left off. Easy.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If no more games can be played the fairest system would be to take the average points earned from games played this season and multiply by 38 .. fairest all round
Assumes that no team has either a run of form or a slump when in reality both happen. Also effectively ends up with the tables as they were when matches were suspended since all teams had played pretty much the same number of games.
I am certain that any club relegated by such a method would litigate.

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score
It's time to come up with Football's equivalent of Duckworth Lewis. Factors to take into account:
1. Remaining fixtures - position of opponent, we have played most of our fixtures against teams above us so a sliding scale of difficulty based on position of opponent over the remaining fixtures should be applied. So Liverpool would have a difficult rating of 20 and Norwich 1, this weekend's fixture would see Wolves at 14 vs Villa at 2 or 7-1 in our favour.
2. Expected goals - for and against, there is a formula for this I think already, factored by the difficulty score so our goal difference to date is 0.2 in our favour multiplied by the difficulty factor would give us a GD for the Villa game of 1.4 goals in our favour. Villa's would be - 0.8 so the spread would be 2.2 goal difference
3. Form - the above would take the form over the last five games (points gained) and multiply the goal difference. Wolves 9 points to Villa's 3 so point 3:1 ratio or 6.6 goals in our favour.
4. Talent - our OVR Points on Fifa 20 is 78 compared to Villa of 76 a difference of 2 so we now have 13.2 goals in our favour (NB if the opponent has a greater OVR than us and we win we should take the difference in our favour and multiply it by 2)

So we beat Villa take an extra 3 points and increase our GD by 13 goals. Simple, now all we have to do is the same for Bournemouth, West Ham............

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score
Also think that as next season needs to be condensed, especially for those of us with European commitments, the bottom three should be relegated and no promotions and the League Cup be suspended for a season to help fixture congestion in The Championship

Pagey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Think I've just heard Belgium have concluded their season, with league positions staying as they are.

Club Brugge announced champions

1972 i began

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I just cant see how this season will be finished. It'll be a minimum of 8 weeks until this social distancing is done then 4 weeks for the players to get back to match fitness. That takes us to July to then get a lot of games in. Wouldnt be suprised for an announcement in a few weeks where the whole season is voided.

not a chance it will be voided.All they have to do is finish this season behind closed doors.Say the end of july.Have a month off and start the new season in september.Do away with the League Cup,FA Cup and play 2 games a week if they start to fall behind.Finish the euro cups off this season and bin it for a year the same as domestic cup games.Start Normal games in 2021/22.

Pagey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Another factor they have to consider, if they want to complete this season, is every player has a clause in their contracts entitling them to 3 consecutive weeks holiday during the close season.

Doesn't sound much, but if present season isn't completed till August, then it will leave a very small window for any preseason. I can't see any tours/many friendlies this summer, which could affect the results early into next season.

Pagey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A problem with playing behind closed doors and televising, is fans will meet up.

Maybe not at the grounds, but families/friends will visit each other to watch the matches on TV. Maybe have a drink together, bbq etc.

Peszkywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Whenever the hell we get the tests to say if you've had the virus and recovered... those people should be allowed to go to the games. At some point we have to get things moving, and with those who can prove they've had it.
Think we've all invested time and too much emotion to just scrap the end of the season, would rather have a shortened 2020/21 all agreed before season kicks off.

waggys left foot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
not a chance it will be voided.All they have to do is finish this season behind closed doors.Say the end of july.Have a month off and start the new season in september.Do away with the League Cup,FA Cup and play 2 games a week if they start to fall behind.Finish the euro cups off this season and bin it for a year the same as domestic cup games.Start Normal games in 2021/22.
What about social distancing for the players? They run the same risk as having 30k in the stadium. When you say "no chance" have you seen how many sporting & leisure events for July and August have already been cancelled?

Sketchead

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A problem with playing behind closed doors and televising, is fans will meet up.

Maybe not at the grounds, but families/friends will visit each other to watch the matches on TV. Maybe have a drink together, bbq etc.

That's a societal problem more than a football one though. Say we're in a position where football goes ahead in July behind closed doors, but the same rules apply to us normal folk, you've got to hope people aren't stupid.

The social distancing element is obviously an issue for players if this happens but hence those wild ideas of having two 'camps' for all the players where everybody is tested and monitored constantly.

Pagey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That's a societal problem more than a football one though. Say we're in a position where football goes ahead in July behind closed doors, but the same rules apply to us normal folk, you've got to hope people aren't stupid.

The social distancing element is obviously an issue for players if this happens but hence those wild ideas of having two 'camps' for all the players where everybody is tested and monitored constantly.
Agree with you, but idiots will meet up, football will be blamed for giving them the opportunity. How many wolves fans travelled a few weeks ago, despite it being behind closed doors?

How many would turn up at stadiums, chanting outside grounds? It's happened already across Germany.

1972 i began

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What about social distancing for the players? They run the same risk as having 30k in the stadium. When you say "no chance" have you seen how many sporting & leisure events for July and August have already been cancelled?

I don't think 22people playing football is the same as 30000 people coughing spluttering and spitting is the same somehow.There will be a way to test players to see if they have it OR had it in the past in the next couple of months.Look on the bright side ffs.

1972 i began

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Nothing is stopping em now if they're that way inclined.:(

sjonnie

Reaction score
I think maybe a Duckworth-Lewis type mathematical model might be the best way to close off this season's placings. I can't see us resuming games anytime soon and as more than 75% of the season's games have been played, it is probably the fairest solution. Not ideal but probably the best option if games can't be resumed before July.

Monketron

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think maybe a Duckworth-Lewis type mathematical model might be the best way to close off this season's placings. I can't see us resuming games anytime soon and as more than 75% of the season's games have been played, it is probably the fairest solution. Not ideal but probably the best option if games can't be resumed before July.

That sort of formula would probably see Wolves finish 5th and a probable Champions League place, given our run in is easier than those around us in the table. I doubt we'd ever get that lucky.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What's so special/important about July? The season MUST be finished whenever. Next season can be sorted as and when. 1 thing at a time.

Back
Top Bottom