Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

How would you finish the season?

D

Deleted member 8913

Finish this season whenever it is safe to do so, reduce next season by scrapping all cup competitions (including europe) and international friendlies

This is clearly a solution ....may have to dump internationals and winter break and preseason too and play twice a week...an early start for tv only to stir crazy stay at homers is also a possibility

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Finish this season whenever it is safe to do so, reduce next season by scrapping all cup competitions (including europe) and international friendlies
There is zero chance of UEFA allowing their cash cow (the Champions League) to be scrapped for a season. The club's who make big money from it would be opposed too.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I just cant see how this season will be finished. It'll be a minimum of 8 weeks until this social distancing is done then 4 weeks for the players to get back to match fitness. That takes us to July to then get a lot of games in. Wouldnt be suprised for an announcement in a few weeks where the whole season is voided.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I just cant see how this season will be finished. It'll be a minimum of 8 weeks until this social distancing is done then 4 weeks for the players to get back to match fitness. That takes us to July to then get a lot of games in. Wouldnt be suprised for an announcement in a few weeks where the whole season is voided.
In which case the FA, UEFA and FIFA will be facing decades of litigation, not only from clubs but sponsors, TV stations, players (voiding the season has an impact on their pay - appearance money, goals scored, final position bonuses etc), etc etc etc

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score

My Tring Athletic team were second in their Step 5 League and if the Points Per Game idea was applied, could hypothetically have had a play-off against Sporting Khalsa for promotion to the League above.

In spite of this, I personally think voiding the season at this level is the way to go. Just not sure how the FA can set this precedent and then not go the same way for the Premier League.

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Throwing in my two penneth in what will be a difficult decision for anyone to make:

Finish the current season including domestic and European cup competitions (hopefully with grounds fully open) taking us up to Nov/ Dec.
Have a mini next season playing half the amount of games (equal home and away drawn out of a hat).
FA Cup ties decided on the day.
League Cup postponed for a season.
Short break in readiness for Euro's.

Championship and Lower league clubs compensated (somehow) for loss of revenue so as to keep all afloat.

Munro Munro

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Finishing the season - It depends obviously as to when we are back up and running, I would suggest when that point is we carry on where we left off, and then run into nest season seamlessly, if we still need to catch up with next seasons dates then add midweek fixtures into that one to absorb them, even go over a few weeks if required. So in effect we have 9 games and a season to play.This will affect transfers but something could be agreed

waggys left foot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Finishing the season - It depends obviously as to when we are back up and running, I would suggest when that point is we carry on where we left off, and then run into nest season seamlessly, if we still need to catch up with next seasons dates then add midweek fixtures into that one to absorb them, even go over a few weeks if required. So in effect we have 9 games and a season to play.This will affect transfers but something could be agreed

Talk already of closing the next window in January 2021.

I am sure the Government will be very keen to see football return asap on morale grounds so think your suggestion is the best.Don't understand this obsession with ending the season not least when there is no guarantee the next one could start .The only reason to do so is to allow clubs to lay players off and/or reduce wages to stay in business and the prem is best placed to ride the storm out .

Last edited:

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In which case the FA, UEFA and FIFA will be facing decades of litigation, not only from clubs but sponsors, TV stations, players (voiding the season has an impact on their pay - appearance money, goals scored, final position bonuses etc), etc etc etc
There will be more litigation if they took the current positions as final ones

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Social distancing won't be scrapped until there is a vaccine, otherwise it could flare up again in the future. I pray they won't void the season. There has to be a better way.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Social distancing won't be scrapped until there is a vaccine, otherwise it could flare up again in the future. I pray they won't void the season. There has to be a better way.

That’s certainly one potential outcome. The other is that the Oxford research is relatively accurate and in fact a larger share of the population has already been exposed and not suffered, meaning that herd immunity arrives sooner than expected. That coupled with some effective drugs for the most affected people would likely see the restrictions lifted sooner than a vaccine becoming broadly available. If so, next season might be able to proceed largely unaffected.

rincewind

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It would surely be better to complete this season, whenever that is, and modify next season in some way, before it starts.

waggys left foot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Mail on Sunday has speculated

June 1-12 Pre season training
June 13-july12 matchday 30-38
July 15/16 CL and EL last 16
July 18-23 QF and SF (one leg)
July 25 CL final
July 26 EL final
July 27-Aug 9 Break
Aug 10-28 Pre season
Aug 29/30 Fa cup QF
Sept 2/3 Facup SF
Sept 6 Fa cup final
Sept 12 New season starts

The Professional

'Unprofessional'
Reaction score

July 25 CL final
July 26 EL final
July 27-Aug 9 Break
Aug 10-28 Pre season
Aug 29/30 Fa cup QF
Sept 2/3 Facup SF
Sept 6 Fa cup final
Thanks for the info. Why are they speculating? No one knows what’s going to happen, it’s impossible to predict how this is going to go. If the peak is possibly going to be June, surely it would be months after that before anything can happen.

waggys left foot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Mail on Sunday also saying PL are not insured for the money they would owe Sky and BT -a mere £762 million if the season wasn't completed.Also no European league has insurance.

Says PL clubs have had their full allocation of broadcast money some of which would need to be repaid if matches aren't played-hence behind closed doors

Kashmire Hawker

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

July 25 CL final
July 26 EL final
July 27-Aug 9 Break
Aug 10-28 Pre season
Aug 29/30 Fa cup QF
Sept 2/3 Facup SF
Sept 6 Fa cup final
Fantastic if that could happen! Personally I just don't see it but it may work with the games behind closed doors?

B

BDWN_Wolf

I'm a firm subscriber to "finish the season". Start the next season whenever, no need for a prolonged break or pre season. This can be done when safe to do so behind closed doors. The problem will be the European cups, as different countries will be at different stages with the virus. Unfortunately logic dictates these may have to scrapped. Sorry.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
Tbf with the way things are I can’t see this season restarting until after next season should have started.

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
Abandon it now. All competitions null and void. Start again when it becomes medically possible. The Scousers will claim it, let them, but it will be asterisked as unfinished business.
It might come to that with us back in the Europa League next season

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score
If they are being played behind closed doors at St George's Park can they install some giant screens around the pitch and allow fans to Skype/House Party in to add their support?

Ches78

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Have you guys who bought tickets for the home games against Olympiacos and Bournemouth etc. asked the club for refunds or are you holding out in the (very slim) hope that the games might get played?

I'm intending to contact the club for a refund soon, but part of me wants to hold on in desperate hope that they're played in a full stadium (despite knowing how unlikely this is)... :(:(:(

Mrs E

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I got a refund for Olympiacos- if it goes ahead probably be behind closed doors

Pagey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Have you guys who bought tickets for the home games against Olympiacos and Bournemouth etc. asked the club for refunds or are you holding out in the (very slim) hope that the games might get played?

I'm intending to contact the club for a refund soon, but part of me wants to hold on in desperate hope that they're played in a full stadium (despite knowing how unlikely this is)... :(:(:(
I've been holding out, might contact them later this week, I can use the cash to order the kids something, keep them busy, and quiet.

Like a taser or something

D

Deleted member 5962

I've been holding out, might contact them later this week, I can use the cash to order the kids something, keep them busy, and quiet.

Like a taser or something

Invested in one of the last nintendo switches available in my region just before the stay at home order came in. Glad I did, its buying me plenty of peace and quiet.

Pagey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Invested in one of the last nintendo switches available in my region just before the stay at home order came in. Glad I did, its buying me plenty of peace and quiet.
I really don't know how they would of survived growing up in the 80s, after saving and buying a zx81, no Internet, no mobiles etc

waggys left foot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A return to normality will surely be phased -old scrotes like me are in for a long stretch at home that's for sure.

So football when it restarts will probably be behind closed doors(yuk) but the fans will surely be let back in as soon as its safe.

Second the Prem and its clubs are looking at a massive bill of compensation for Sky and BT and also to season ticket holders if they don't complete.Money talks in the Prem.

So a phased return completing the 2019/20 season followed straight away by play offs ,Facup and a mini tournament for CL and EL over single legs followed by a truncated 2020/21 seems the obvious solution.

WonderWolf

WoWoWoobsykins
Reaction score
For me the logical and sane conclusion is extend the season and play the remaining games behind closed doors….failing that, if this isn't viable, conclude all the fixtures and competitions on a toss-up. :neutral:

The best hope really is to be able start the new season as normal as possible in late summer.

We are all in this horror crisis together, so ‘neutrally’ painful action just has to take precedence whatever.

It’s a situation where football in this instance really just cannot be more important than life no matter the cost to it in whatever form. Everyone has to pull together for humanity with this as the ‘capital’ issue really should be secondary for everyone concerned.

Take the losses and expectation failures painfully up where everyone really must do. People’s lives and businesses will be totally screwed, football simply cannot believe it can conveniently somehow neatly and skilfully ride this situation to suit.

Ercall Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Who would ask for a refund on their season ticket if the remainder of the season had to be played behind closed doors
I wouldn’t

Back
Top Bottom