Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Hopes For Next Season

SanFranWolf

Transfer summary thread supremo
Reaction score
What are people’s hopes / expectations for where we should aim to finish next season?

Chriswwfc

Reaction score
Hoping for a real turnover of dead wood.

We have some high earners who could be replaced by some very highly rated players in various other leagues that won’t be being paid as handsomely as what we can offer.

I want a heroic number 9 more than anything. An all rounded quality centre forward to fill the void left by Raul in the past couple of seasons.

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I just hope for us to kick on. Where we finish in the table is kind of irrelevant for us next year.. unless it’s in the bottom 3.

As I wrote yesterday, the record from JL’s first 22 games is identical to Bruno Lage’s. 31 points. I believe we are much better setup to kick on this time.. more goals, more convincing performances, a new era.

JL needs as much support this summer as possible to facilitate a new look team next year. I don’t really care if we’re beating the teams below us or above us.. or what style we play.. I would just like to see us kick on and blow off some of the apathy that’s been creeping in.

The Wolf In The North

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Realism is healthy for the stress levels. Brighton, Brentford, Fulham and Villa have all had fantastic seasons on the face of it, but will still likely only finish 7th-10th and thereabouts. Mid-table would be excellent in my view, just in a far more under-the-radar fashion than this year was.

To be honest, I just want to enjoy watching us play again, and after clearing out those who are now surplus to requirements that will mean two new reliable forwards/goalscorers and a more settled, attacking strategy.

I have no illusions that we'll be a Man City or Barca or even current Brighton, that way lies disappointment and ulcers, but I don't think it's too much to ask to be able to approach games like Brentford, Fulham, post-Vieira Palace, with our version of a Toney or Mitrovic or Watkins or Eze and Oliseh spearheading a revival. Absolute drudge otherwise.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A new approach to our style of play which will mean a far better attacking style.

SmiffyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It all depends on if lopetegui gets what he needs . Or I still think there could be issues ahead where he might look elsewhere and go to another club .

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My hopes are more goals, more entertaining football and to not be concerned about relegation. Somewhere in the 7th-12th range. It’s basically the start of a new chapter, akin to when Nuno came in. Hopefully we get the recruitment right.

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
Realistically, the Big Six, Newcastle and Brighton will be the top eight so the absolute best we can hope for is 9th.

Hoping we can get somewhere between 9th and 12th, but with a clearly identifiable style of play and a bit more enjoyment than these last three seasons. And maybe go deep in the Cups.

Really hope that a new batch of fan favourites emerge to replace Ruben and Raul. Have a feeling they may be Gomes, Nunes and (if he’s here) Fabio.

Starsky

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Staying up first and foremost.

We look like one of those haggard PL clubs (Leics,Everton,Stoke,Albion) who have blown their money and ended up with a squad with loads of rubbish in it. It normally ends up in relegation at some point.

This Summer is going to require Lop to be on his A game and then some. Then again, I heard last night via an excellent source that him staying is definitely not guaranteed.

Wignall 3-0

Groupie
Reaction score
10th with 54 ish points. Hope Leeds and Leicester go down, they always beat us. Teams coming up struggle and second season syndrome for the 3 who stayed up. Everything there for a comfortable and entertaining season so long as we sign a decent striker, RWB, and we start to score goals! Need two 10 goals per season players.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
Realistically:

An improvement in playing style. Something a bit more attacking, more tempo.

A better approach to away games. More resilience needed when going behind or under pressure.

More goals, hopefully from 1-2 new forward players.

Get those and we could easily be mid-table or top half.

Cup run would be good too!

FJRWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Anything above 10th would be progress, along with some decent quality football and a few more goals scored.

S G Wolves

Bad lover
Reaction score
Be the surprise team and finish top 8, possibly Europe places.

Revolution under JL for a more progressive and possession based game.

More goals.

Cup win.

Aim for the stars and might reach the moon. Aim for the moon and will probably reach the gutter.

Wolf in Kenilworth

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Realistically:

An improvement in playing style. Something a bit more attacking, more tempo.

A better approach to away games. More resilience needed when going behind or under pressure.

More goals, hopefully from 1-2 new forward players.

Get those and we could easily be mid-table or top half.

Cup run would be good too!

Look at Calvert Lewin yesterday. A massive focal point for them. Always looking for him to hold up or attack in the air.

We really miss a proper striker. Having Costa is one of the reasons we have scored more goals as it brings others into the game.

Hoping Kalajdzic is on fire next season. I really think he’ll be great.

cannockwolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I would like to be comfortable in 12th, and not getting dragged into a relegation fight.

It's way to early to know if we are going to be fighting it out with the dead men just yet. Has it stands there are just too many unknowns. Will JL still be manager, will both Neves and Nunez go early enough to spend the money sensibly, how is Sasa and Chinqiho return from their injuries.

Any one of those questions, and a dozen others, will determine if we are down the bottom all season or not.

I think as the level of change increases the level of risk increases, and there are going to be some big chances I feel.

Right now you have to say we are more likely going to be bracketed with the likes of Forest, Bournemouth, Everton (assuming they survive) , West Ham, Palace, and the promoted sides rather than the likes of Fulham, Villa, Brentford, and Brighton.

We were in that best of the rest category under Nuno, right now it's going to take one hell of a transfer window (and Sasa/Silva to hit the goal trail) for us to get back in that group.

Right now I would put Sheffield United, the play off winners, Bournemouth, Everton/Leeds, Forest, and ourselves at most risk of relegation because of the difficulty in scoring goals.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Find a striker, pass the ball forwards , finish comfortably mid table with a challenge for 7th to 10th

And some competent refs, eradication of time wasting and cheating, and VAR changes

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To watch at least 8 enjoyable matches.

Joshwolf218

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Realistically we need to be looking at creating more chances

We currently don't have the team set up to be able to consistently score enough goals to win games, sure a goal scorer is needed but if we don't give them the chances to score then we are still in the same predicament.

10th-14th most likely finish

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Improve on this season, even if it's just an improvement in one area. More points would be preferable, fewer goals conceded and of course more goals scored.

JohnB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I oscillate from top half to worrying about relegation, with a risk of a reasonable turnover with the squad and the opportunity of a reasonable turnover within the squad.

Realistically I can see a strong midfield (Lemina, Gomes, Nunes, Traore with Hodge as back-up) even if we don’t replace Neves (or no-one takes him).

Forward line is the worry. Will Costa sign for another season, will Raul be replaced, will Sasa be fit/stay fit, Will Hwang get his hammy sorted, will Silva want to come back and how much will he have developed.

Having said that I could be excited by Silva, Cunha, Sarabia, Neto and Nunes creating intricate, mobile and incisive attacks with Sasa the battering ram for crosses and players around him for knock-downs.

Defensively we have coverage in all positions other than RB unless Bolla comes back.

My glass half full says we are only 1-2 players short from a decent top-half team.

My glass half empty says the player losses and seeking to replace with cheap alternatives with potential to grow is risky.

So as ever, reach 40 points, see where we are and then go from there.

Note to self - avoid transfer window refresh button and YouTube clips of players I’ve never heard of this Summer - many more interesting things to do!

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
First and foremost, trim the squad.

Julen has chopped, changed and tinkered since his appointment and every fit member of our current squad has been given game time. He will know who he wants to keep and who needs to go to make room for the improvement he says he wants.

We will have Chiquinho and Sasa back, Bouba will be fully fit and Silva could return, so that’s a squad of around 25 which is too many.

Get new players in early (we say that every season, but it doesn’t happen). Get the players out who don’t want to be here and players Julen doesn’t want, early as well.

We need a bit of evolution and an exciting playing style. Julen got us safe and now we need to kick on with an identity, with players who want be here and fight for the club and our great fans.

Exciting times are ahead with Julen and his team Imo. I hope he gets the backing from Fosun to make it happen.

Back
Top Bottom