Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Gary O'Neil - tactics

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If Fosun don’t bring in 5-6 players it might!

We said this in the summer of lages last season…..

And what did fosun do….. not enough and set us up for the horrific pre-world cup start to the season……

We have to pray Hobbs has cash to spend!!!

But we have been here before and fosun fumbled the bag and meant we needed to have the massive January spend!!!!

marrs-guitar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The players are ****ed, we had no rotation for the first 70% of the season. Literally none.
He could have rotated at times.

Santi didn't play much and could have come in.
Sasa got limited chances even in games that were either clearly lost or we were in a strong position in.
Bouba has been ignored for a lot of the time, even tonight he really had to start.

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well he needs to do something and fast looking at the updated last 6 form guide

Premier League | Form Guide | Last 6 Matches | Football Web Pages

Live Football Scores, League Tables, Form Guides, Attendances, Latest News and other stats from the Premier League, Football League and Non-League football
www.footballwebpages.co.uk

We are 19th………….. in last 6

And in the last 8 games we are18th………
We’re gonna be bottom of form by end of season.. but we could all see this coming, couldn’t we?

We’ve also had periods where we’ve been near the top. No doubt, our proper first 11 is capable of finishing top 7 for me.. but our bench is pure Championship level. We also had a very slow start. So overall, it’s been a season of highs and lows, but the highs have been more promising than they have for a while.

First 2 seasons back we had; Raul, Jota, Caveilero, Costa, Neto, Traore and Podence at times (not for all of it).. as options up top. We’re a long way short of that now.. big summer ahead.

Gary now has his biggest challenge since arriving ahead of him. Keeping the players heads up for the remaining games and changing the mindset for next season will be difficult.

We won’t have 3 teams as bad as the bottom 3 next season.. and we probably won’t have 2 teams with points dedications.

It’s a big season next year and it will come down to what we do this Summer. Gary has done a great job, but he ain’t a magician. 11 really good players doesn’t make a Premier League squad.

Sketchead

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Shocker tonight, it was a real mess. Can't say I'm surprised at all given how much Bournemouth and their manager would've wanted to win coming here after Gary got the behind-the-scenes analyst clips out on national TV and showed everybody how he out-thought his opponent a few months ago.

Was always going to come back to bite. But whatever his plan was tonight, it looked a mess from about 12 seconds in when a Bournemouth player broke from midfield and ran directly to the edge of our box, only stopped by a last ditch tackle from behind from Lemina.

Asthmatic Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That's what happened under Lage. Ended a season terribly and never recovered from it.
True. The worry is that Lage had previous for form and then terminal drop off at Benfica. GON had form and a drop off at Bournemouth which was not terminal, at least we never got to find out if it was as he was terminated by Bournemouth. Let’s hope it’s not a Lage-esque characteristic and he bounces back.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We’re gonna be bottom of form by end of season.. but we could all see this coming, couldn’t we?

We’ve also had periods where we’ve been near the top. No doubt, our proper first 11 is capable of finishing top 7 for me.. but our bench is pure Championship level. We also had a very slow start. So overall, it’s been a season of highs and lows, but the highs have been more promising than they have for a while.

First 2 seasons back we had; Raul, Jota, Caveilero, Costa, Neto, Traore and Podence at times (not for all of it).. as options up top. We’re a long way short of that now.. big summer ahead.

Gary now has his biggest challenge since arriving ahead of him. Keeping the players heads up for the remaining games and changing the mindset for next season will be difficult.

We won’t have 3 teams as bad as the bottom 3 next season.. and we probably won’t have 2 teams with points dedications.

It’s a big season next year and it will come down to what we do this Summer. Gary has done a great job, be he ain’t a magician. 11 really good players doesn’t make a Premier League squad.

I agree mate!

But Gary does need to have another plan/strategy that isn’t just relying on fast lads running with the ball or making the lads look like dogs chasing a tennis ball when the ball is lumped long…….

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I agree mate!

But Gary does need to have another plan/strategy that isn’t just relying on fast lads running with the ball or making the lads look like dogs chasing a tennis ball when the ball is lumped long…….
I think we played some good football when our team was all fit.. but, we don’t have options on the bench to maintain that.. they’re all very different options, or not to the standard.

I hope this is remedied this summer, because right now, I’ve lost faith that we will get another 3 points this season. Which is very disappointing

TelfordWolf

Reaction score
Shocker tonight, it was a real mess. Can't say I'm surprised at all given how much Bournemouth and their manager would've wanted to win coming here after Gary got the behind-the-scenes analyst clips out on national TV and showed everybody how he out-thought his opponent a few months ago.
?

jrpb-3

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Tactics first Half awful. Hwang can’t play up front on his own as an out and out No. 9
If we good to pass and hold the ball at the back to draw Bmth out then play the ball over the top then that ball has to go to a Wolves player, too often it didn’t . If you are going to play Hwang up on his own you need to get others up in support, most of the time his only option would be to play a one two with himself as no one else available. With Semedo and Ait Nouri started I expected us to get the ball out wide and play down wings or switch play from wing to wing. Finally started doing that second half after changes and looked better

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think we played some good football when our team was all fit.. but, we don’t have options on the bench to maintain that.. they’re all very different options, or not to the standard.

I hope this is remedied this summer, because right now, I’ve lost faith that we will get another 3 points this season. Which is very disappointing

Go back to early GON……

The football is back to the poor movement off the ball, rigid shape and long passes or sprinting with the ball to attack….

Sketchead

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I guess the connection I'm making, slightly tongue-in-cheek, is that Iraola would've been even more motivated than normal after GON's MNF appearance last time around, and gone to town in preparation for this one to ensure he out-thought his opponent and made his team look silly. Which he did for 90% off the game. Hats off to him. Just look how much their players celebrated at FT, in a nothing game where 0 or 3 points means very little for either side in terms of their season. Maybe I'm wrong but it was my feeling before the game that they would be bang up for this, and wouldn't let us beat them - and they were miles ahead of us tonight.

Willywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We know the squad is threadbare, but saying there are injuries/fitness reasons don’t exactly wash with me - you don’t forget how to trap the ball, pass to your team mate, not give the ball away so carelessly. GON is being let down by some of our players atm, but he’s got no choice but to play them…

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

It’s a big season next year and it will come down to what we do this Summer. Gary has done a great job, but he ain’t a magician. 11 really good players doesn’t make a Premier League squad.
Gary has actually not helped the team following the Coventry loss. Not only did he have a dig at the board (Shi) he was very vocal about how our final ten games are going to be a real struggle, intimating we’ll be lucky to win any games. It’s no surprise that our overall performances and results have plummeted since.

Luton might well be our salvation for a win as I think they have now accepted their inevitable return to the Championship following the manner of their defeat v Brentford.

bod101

Admin & No.4
Reaction score
Sarabia and Hwang were so poor tonight. Not. Good enough for highest paid player.
I disagree about hwang, he scored a good goal and was largely isolated most of the time. The one good delivery he got he buried.

Our tactics are poor, we know we haven't got the forwards available but haven't adjusted the formation really, we've just sat more players back. Corners for example did we need all our players back? Therefore having zero outlet if we won the ball back despite Bournemouth at times having three back? In previous games playing the ball back to a good shot stopping keeper who is know to be not so good at kicking and using him like a quarterback? Having three at the back yet none seem to responsibility for defending. Not only this but seeing it continually fail in the first half but persist with it in the second.

Last edited:

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
I was amazed how we played to be honest, or more specifically that we didn't change how we played.

I saw it as a 4141 for the first half until the very end. Then we briefly went to WBs before coming out second half back in a 4141, even though we'd got absolutely taken apart.

Hwang can't play on his own as a 9, several players were very poor, Sarabia frankly awful.

It's all very well moaning about the squad and injuries, but that performance was just dreadful. Tired yes, but come on we played so many more games in the EL season and the squad wasn't much bigger. Maybe the intensity has been the problem?

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nearly a season in and I'm not sure what his tactics actually are. Could somebody sum them up in a succinct sentence or two? I am being serious.

Give it to the fast lad early and in space and watch him sprint and hope he creates something

Or

Lump it Behind the defender and have a fast lad chase after it and hope he either gets there or we can pounce on a lose pass with a high press

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Nearly a season in and I'm not sure what his tactics actually are. Could somebody sum them up in a succinct sentence or two? I am being serious.
I think he wants us to play high energy positive football, but he needs the players to do that.

Also I think the whole question is flawed. Man City, Liverpool get to pick how they want to play and clubs like us have to adapt according to the opposition and who is available.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think he wants us to play high energy positive football, but he needs the players to do that.

Also I think the whole question is flawed. Man City, Liverpool get to pick how they want to play and clubs like us have to adapt according to the opposition and who is available.
Slow pedestrian football won’t win many games unless you have quality technical players to pick passes. Which we don’t. Moutinho and Neves has left

WolvesAndCows

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I guess the connection I'm making, slightly tongue-in-cheek, is that Iraola would've been even more motivated than normal after GON's MNF appearance last time around, and gone to town in preparation for this one to ensure he out-thought his opponent and made his team look silly. Which he did for 90% off the game. Hats off to him. Just look how much their players celebrated at FT, in a nothing game where 0 or 3 points means very little for either side in terms of their season. Maybe I'm wrong but it was my feeling before the game that they would be bang up for this, and wouldn't let us beat them - and they were miles ahead of us tonight.
There's a top half finish to play for, which would have been nice to look back on at the end of the season. That would have represented a good season, instead of an average one where we are now. As you say, Bournemouth were more up for it.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There's a top half finish to play for, which would have been nice to look back on at the end of the season. That would have represented a good season, instead of an average one where we are now. As you say, Bournemouth were more up for it.
We’ve still got 2 winnable home games Palace and Luton. Unfortunately for us without Dawson we are leaking too many goals. We need to score 2/3 to win a game that’s the issue

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We’ve still got 2 winnable home games Palace and Luton. Unfortunately for us without Dawson we are leaking too many goals. We need to score 2/3 to win a game that’s the issue

We have only two fit cbs of the four and we leaked goals and chances before those injuries….

We are looking at no wins in 8 league games, 9 straight with losing to a championship Coventry team.

Palace will give us a hiding if they are as polished as they were against West Ham.

We could end the season without another win and potentially no wins in 13 straight league games…… so approaching half a prem season of straight fixtures without a win…..

That for me is ****ing concerning going into next season. Losing and not winning is a habit and one we look like we have willingly walked into

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We have only two fit cbs of the four and we leaked goals and chances before those injuries….

We are looking at no wins in 8 league games, 9 straight with losing to a championship Coventry team.

Palace will give us a hiding if they are as polished as they were against West Ham.

We could end the season without another win and potentially no wins in 13 straight league games…… so approaching half a prem season of straight fixtures without a win…..

That for me is ****ing concerning going into next season. Losing and not winning is a habit and one we look like we have willingly walked into
Time to experiment something different our form is very concerning running on empty or not

surreywolf

Reaction score
The players were poor v bournemouth and he was justified in highlighting it

But - the team shape was a mess and it patently didn’t work from early on

Very impressed with how we got to 43 points considering the shallow squad we have.

But I also wonder if he is overthinking things and trying to be too technical. GON seems to be very reactive and I think that could lead to a lack of identity eg the opposite of Nuno, whose players knew what they were doing in their sleep

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The players were poor v bournemouth and he was justified in highlighting it

But - the team shape was a mess and it patently didn’t work from early on

Very impressed with how we got to 43 points considering the shallow squad we have. GON seems to be very reactive and I think that could lead to a lack of identity eg the opposite of Nuno, whose players knew what they were doing in their sleep

But I also wonder if he is overthinking things and trying to be too technical

There won’t be a call to go on Monday night football after that performance against Bournemouth like the last one……

He went full lage…. You never go full lage……

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Happened the backend of the Bruno first season and we know how things played out from there.

Once you've lost that confidence it's hard to get it back. Really do need a result on Saturday.

Back
Top Bottom