Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Gary O'Neil - tactics

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Cant see GON being here after Christmas tbh
I know its very early and things change but ive seen nothing so far to fill me with enthusiasm
If he does go who do we bring in?
Potter is an obvious choice,how about Tadesco currently Belgium manager? Any more suggestions?
It’ll be Rob Edwards and it’ll still end in relegation.

Bill McCai

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think if we are going to win a game it is highly likely we will need a clean sheet (or certainly to keep it down to 1 goal against). Under Lop last season - we won 9 matches - in those games we kept 7 clean sheets (the other two were the away wins against Everton and Southampton). We were quite well organised in those home games where we won to nil. At the moment it feels like the defence has become a big worry, which would be fine if we were looking good going forward - but we look as toothless as ever (2 of our 4 goals being consolation strikes).

GuzzWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
His
So you haven’t seen someone get let go 1-2 months or amazingly even sooner into a probation period because it is clear it won’t work and the person was a bad hire?

I know have, in my second job post football. I saw one lad sacked at the lunch time on his 5th day!

Because the manager said he didn’t have even half the ability to do the job as his interview suggested as he struggled to do the basics of the job.

The lads gaffer on site said he couldnt let him stay another second, as it would hold the team back hitting deadlines for a major client and also team morale would take a hit.

His 5th birthday, **** me they start young where you come from ...lol

GuzzWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Does anyone think that GON may have been appointed on the basis we are waiting for a more high profile manager? The longer contact, cheap salary over 3 years as someone mentioned earlier.....You just never know?

GuzzWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I do genuinely think he’s a caretaker appointment in all but name, with a sale of the club underway or to happen in the coming weeks/months. He’s been through that at Bournemouth last season, so he knows the score, and you could argue he has a better squad at this disposal here than he did there last season, so it would be a fairly logical appointment for Hobbs if so. If correct, then more than likely a new owner would want to appoint their own coaching staff (or reappoint JL). If so, GON gets a chance to further demonstrate he’s able to coach PL clubs, but will be cheap to release if new owners want to appoint someone else quickly.

Either way, he’s our coach, and despite my deep reservations, I truly hope he succeeds while he’s here, however long that may be.
With today's news that the Man United deal seems to be stalling, how about the idea the Saudi buyers purchase Wolves for a dime and plough 3 Billion into Wolverhampton..... Aaaawh, then my alarm clock went off.

R1ch

Reaction score
Does anyone think that GON may have been appointed on the basis we are waiting for a more high profile manager? The longer contact, cheap salary over 3 years as someone mentioned earlier.....You just never know?

No unfortunatly. Hobbs tried for a young British 'coach' in Beale before Jeff and Fosun convinced JL and I think this time Hobbs got his wish. They'll have been burnt by having such a high-profile manager and I can't see them going down that road again. I think GON has been hired to coach the team and have less say on other aspects of the club whereas previous recent managers would have had a much bigger say. Hense why he's had less of his own staff around him.

This is the start of a different approach I imagine where a similar style of coach will be hired each time one leaves. Players will be signed under a certain criteria and largely they'll hire coaches to fit in with the direction they're now trying to go in. The extreme flip-flopping in manager/coaching profiles was crazy and wasn't working this for once (in theory if you appoint the right coach) is a smarter approach albeit with a less than convincing man that I doubt many are chuffed with and has a lot to prove.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
No unfortunatly. Hobbs tried for a young British 'coach' in Beale before Jeff and Fosun convinced JL and I think this time Hobbs got his wish. They'll have been burnt by having such a high-profile manager and I can't see them going down that road again. I think GON has been hired to coach the team and have less say on other aspects of the club whereas previous recent managers would have had a much bigger say. Hense why he's had less of his own staff around him.

This is the start of a different approach I imagine where a similar style of coach will be hired each time one leaves. Players will be signed under a certain criteria and largely they'll hire coaches to fit in with the direction they're now trying to go in. The extreme flip-flopping in manager/coaching profiles was crazy and wasn't working this for once (in theory if you appoint the right coach) is a smarter approach albeit with a less than convincing man that I doubt many are chuffed with and has a lot to prove.
That's a very eloquently justification of absolute madness.

You sack a coach because things are going wrong, you've probably picked the wrong guy in the first place. Then in order to be consistent you replace him with someone just the same. So come November when Rangers and Wolves both realise their mistakes we can have Beale. Genius.

R1ch

Reaction score
That's a very eloquently justification of absolute madness.

You sack a coach because things are going wrong, you've probably picked the wrong guy in the first place. Then in order to be consistent you replace him with someone just the same. So come November when Rangers and Wolves both realise their mistakes we can have Beale. Genius.
Like I said the the idea isn't bad but the choice of coaches hobbs has seemingly gone for leaves a lot to be desired. A lot of Wolves fans seem to rave about hobbs but the jury's still out on him imo.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Surely any manager is more high profile than GON?

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
His

His 5th birthday, **** me they start young where you come from ...lol
Where does it say birthday?

But he was freshly 23….. I remember we started him just after a break he was having for his birthday…. The speed of starting yo exit shocked me to the point I never forgot it.

An ex-colleague reminded me today, we sacked an apprentice on his second day as he kept asking questions about what happens if he had an accident at work, how he got sorted if he had an accident at work and finally does an accident at work pay well…… I remember being sat their dumb struck in the managers meeting the next morning…..

In the words of Chris rock…..

grand opening…. Grand closing

Hahaha

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
in many jobs, 6 months probationary period is normal, but on here 3 away games and 1 at home following no pre-seasodeserves the sack. Idiots!
If you're a CEO and everyone can see you're completely out of your depth, good luck lasting 6 months. Not that it's really comparable, because to become a CEO you're probably not going to have a 20 minute conversation where people are impressed with your PowerPoint skills and aren't too bothered at your lack of relevant experience

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If you're a CEO and everyone can see you're completely out of your depth, good luck lasting 6 months. Not that it's really comparable, because to become a CEO you're probably not going to have a 20 minute conversation where people are impressed with your PowerPoint skills and aren't too bothered at your lack of relevant experience
Yeah.. there’s not many jobs where you can potentially wipe £100million revenue off the company books within 6 months.. as a Premier league manager, you can.

Rubberball

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I wonder if Hobbs has buyers regret. He had no money to spend and the manager had just left at the time he was looking for a new coach.

Now we have more than stable finances and have a fairly solid squad we should be in the market for a good manager and I hope Hobbs is regretting his decision and looking for a new manager to be appointed in October.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You would expect something quantifiable to show that your out of your depth, like worse performance than the last guy.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

That assumes that Hobbs' vision has any validity. To me the guaranteed outcome is the Football League. We keep appointing ever worse head coach candidates and that could rapidly be L1.

Irish_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Classy as always :rolleyes: That shows a lot of brain power.

Celtic were glad to see the back of him. Having digs at them not being in a competitive league ( coming from a bloke who has spent his whole career in leagues that aren't competitive ). How professional was he with all his little Instagram digs at Celtic. I'll believe Ange over some random with no class.

Probably shows your football smarts if you think a bloke like him would have done anything for us. Even after his one very good season in Holland it only got him a move to Scotland.
You obviously don't know Scottish football. The Daily Ranger posts nothing but negative articles about Celtic so that story is worthless. GG played when called apon, he never went on strike or turned up late. He wanted first team football and could not get in ahead of Kyogo so he moved on.

The big part you are still missing is he would have cost only 5m, he would have been brilliant option/cover for a club obviously struggling financially and lacking a striker. His goal scoring stats are excellent.

You carry on looking for players who have done it in Spain Germany or EPL, you won't see much change from 30m

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You obviously don't know Scottish football. The Daily Ranger posts nothing but negative articles about Celtic so that story is worthless. GG played when called apon, he never went on strike or turned up late. He wanted first team football and could not get in ahead of Kyogo so he moved on.

The big part you are still missing is he would have cost only 5m, he would have been brilliant option/cover for a club obviously struggling financially and lacking a striker. His goal scoring stats are excellent.

You carry on looking for players who have done it in Spain Germany or EPL, you won't see much change from 30m
What says it all is that Leigh Griffiths left us when we were in L1 and was arguably better than this guy in the SPL.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

As patronising as you are, I know plenty about scottish football. As i've mentioned multiple times over the years, my Uncle is a Celtic season ticket holder, and i follow them still pretty closely. I'm confident i know how Celtic fans felt about his carry on.

In regards to that particular article, its direct quotes from the manager, Ange Postecoglu. Nobody is twisting anything so i dont get why you are trying to make out the media source is no good. Its simply putting out there a direct quote from his then manager. If you like, i can post the same quote from a different article from a different source. Pretty sure it will still be the same.

And yes, he was unproffesional in the same way Podence was unprofessional here. His snidy little posts on Instagram, his little digs about scottish football after he left, which no matter how correct they might be, were pretty sad considering thats one of the few levels he's excelled at. I never said he went on strike either, dont know where you get that from.

As for him as a striker, his stats arent excellent at all. He's literally had 3 good seasons out of 15, and only one in a decent league. 20 goals in over 120 games at a really poor standard in Greece. He had an outstanding year at a Venlo, but even that didnt get him a shot at a decent club in a decent league. Apart from that nothing i'd say was spectacular in the scheme of things at the levels he was playing at. I'm not missing any point. Even at 5 million, he wouldnt be worth a risk because he's clearly not good enough to play in the premier league. He's not as good as the likes of Boyd tbh who excelled in Scotland but thats about it.

The one thing i agree to a point is we arent going to get good value from some of the big leagues unless we drop lucky.

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I guess Brighton got lucky with De Zerbi in that he was available when they wanted him. And we wouldn’t go for someone like Postecoglou because he knows his own mind and imposes his way of playing on a team, which is a front foot game.

Gary’s a nice chap who, as a Bournemouth fan said, has now won the lottery twice.

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Iv noticed we press well first half then stop?
Listening to latest E&S podcast Keen does mention that O’Neil wants to play a high pressing game. Like you say we play it well for the first half and it seems to fall apart 2nd half. There are potentially 4 reasons I see for it:
A) The players aren’t fit enough (yet) to do this for 90 minutes. GON said he wanted them fitter
B) GON’s tactical half time input is basically killing us
C) Teams have learnt how to beat the press having experienced Gegenpresse when Klopp first arrived
D) we’re crap in transition - we’re are very ponderous in attack and seek the perfect ball. The introduction of Bellegarde or transition of Cunha deeper (or both) may well help. Bellegarde excites me as whilst he’s small he’s the same weight as our new 6’3 centre back, is very dynamic, quick and can play and has played across the midfield.

I do think getting Sasa fit and firing and finding a deputy is critical. He acts as a focus and because of his height and it encourages players to put balls into the box. He’s excellent and holding the ball up, whereas Silva in particular is not. Look at the Rennes game, we played ok first half but so much better second, look at Hwang’s goal which came because Sasa could hold it up. I was very critical of Lage but he always said that he needed a Centre Forward and he never had one. Raul was excellent pre injury and some of his back to goal play was fantastic particularly when it was he and Jota together. After the injury he never replicated that, he no longer wanted the physical contact, usurpingly.

If you want to play a high press with a quick transition having someone up front who can play with their back to goal is important as it encourages the movement of the ball forward. Silva can’t do that, he is the recipient of the final ball so needs to play as the second striker making the runs beyond and around.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Listening to latest E&S podcast Keen does mention that O’Neil wants to play a high pressing game. Like you say we play it well for the first half and it seems to fall apart 2nd half. There are potentially 4 reasons I see for it:
A) The players aren’t fit enough (yet) to do this for 90 minutes. GON said he wanted them fitter
C) Teams have learnt how to beat the press having experienced Gegenpresse when Klopp first arrived
D) we’re crap in transition - we’re are very ponderous in attack and seek the perfect ball. The introduction of Bellegarde or transition of Cunha deeper (or both) may well help. Bellegarde excites me as whilst he’s small he’s the same weight as our new 6’3 centre back, is very dynamic, quick and can play and has played across the midfield.

I do think getting Sasa fit and firing and finding a deputy is critical. He acts as a focus and because of his height and it encourages players to put balls into the box. He’s excellent and holding the ball up, whereas Silva in particular is not. Look at the Rennes game, we played ok first half but so much better second, look at Hwang’s goal which came because Sasa could hold it up. I was very critical of Lage but he always said that he needed a Centre Forward and he never had one. Raul was excellent pre injury and some of his back to goal play was fantastic particularly when it was he and Jota together. After the injury he never replicated that, he no longer wanted the physical contact, usurpingly.

If you want to play a high press with a quick transition having someone up front who can play with their back to goal is important as it encourages the movement of the ball forward. Silva can’t do that, he is the recipient of the final ball so needs to play as the second striker making the runs beyond and around.

Agree with everything you’ve said there. Not sure most of it is relevant to why our high press seems to fall apart second half except for suggested reasons A&B! In saying that, it’s not an uncommon criticism of Wolves post Nuno that we can start the first half looking organised and with a plan, and then it falls apart second half and /or once subs are made. Even JL struggled to make most of his subs work tactically - one or two notable games aside.

R1ch

Reaction score
I guess Brighton got lucky with De Zerbi in that he was available when they wanted him. And we wouldn’t go for someone like Postecoglou because he knows his own mind and imposes his way of playing on a team, which is a front foot game.

Gary’s a nice chap who, as a Bournemouth fan said, has now won the lottery twice.
You could put De Zerbi down to good fortune that he was available and wanted the job at Brighton but I bet they had a shortlist of candidates that might have been equally as good if not better than De Zerbi. I highly doubt we had such an extensive list of managers, a well run club keeps a shortlist of managers thats constantly evolving. The fact we were stumped when Beale turned us down last year until Fosun convinced JL and that we ended up with GON a few weeks ago probably says all we need to know.

R1ch

Reaction score

D is a great point we are so slow getting the ball forward by the time we've played it out the opposition has got back into their shape and it's hard to break them down. We're 2nd in the league for touches in our own 3rd, taking so long to bring the ball forward has such a negative impact on the likes of Sarabia.

bigwolf

Reaction score
D is a great point we are so slow getting the ball forward by the time we've played it out the opposition has got back into their shape and it's hard to break them down. We're 2nd in the league for touches in our own 3rd, taking so long to bring the ball forward has such a negative impact on the likes of Sarabia.

Interestingly this was not the case against united or pre season. Or in spells during the game against Brighton.

I'm struggling to think what could have changed from end of pre season to now which would have caused our change to a more slower ponderous approach.

Answers on a postcard.

glorybox

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I never thought i'd hear me say this but i hope we're a little like Watford and sack him if we're anywhere near the bottom 3 by the end of next month.

tonto

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That assumes that Hobbs' vision has any validity. To me the guaranteed outcome is the Football League. We keep appointing ever worse head coach candidates and that could rapidly be L1.
Been ther before haven’t we

Zico

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Interestingly this was not the case against united or pre season. Or in spells during the game against Brighton.

I'm struggling to think what could have changed from end of pre season to now which would have caused our change to a more slower ponderous approach.

Answers on a postcard.
Very clever, but maybe an alternative answer is Nunes?

Back
Top Bottom