Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Gary O'Neil - tactics

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fortunately I think the three promoted teams are worse.
I have to agree alongside everton

its a good year to be "bad"

nee dto get a result from luton thats it , should have drew against palace minimum thats a loss

anything more than 3 points from the next 3 is a bonus

Irish_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As patronising as you are, I know plenty about scottish football. As i've mentioned multiple times over the years, my Uncle is a Celtic season ticket holder, and i follow them still pretty closely. I'm confident i know how Celtic fans felt about his carry on.

In regards to that particular article, its direct quotes from the manager, Ange Postecoglu. Nobody is twisting anything so i dont get why you are trying to make out the media source is no good. Its simply putting out there a direct quote from his then manager. If you like, i can post the same quote from a different article from a different source. Pretty sure it will still be the same.

And yes, he was unproffesional in the same way Podence was unprofessional here. His snidy little posts on Instagram, his little digs about scottish football after he left, which no matter how correct they might be, were pretty sad considering thats one of the few levels he's excelled at. I never said he went on strike either, dont know where you get that from.

As for him as a striker, his stats arent excellent at all. He's literally had 3 good seasons out of 15, and only one in a decent league. 20 goals in over 120 games at a really poor standard in Greece. He had an outstanding year at a Venlo, but even that didnt get him a shot at a decent club in a decent league. Apart from that nothing i'd say was spectacular in the scheme of things at the levels he was playing at. I'm not missing any point. Even at 5 million, he wouldnt be worth a risk because he's clearly not good enough to play in the premier league. He's not as good as the likes of Boyd tbh who excelled in Scotland but thats about it.

The one thing i agree to a point is we arent going to get good value from some of the big leagues unless we drop lucky.
If you are saying Celtic are not a decent club then I'm out. Ridiculous.

bigwolf

Reaction score
I have to agree alongside everton

its a good year to be "bad"

nee dto get a result from luton thats it , should have drew against palace minimum thats a loss

anything more than 3 points from the next 3 is a bonus

I'll say it again it's a recipe for disaster thinking this way. There are countless examples of clubs getting relegated with this attitude.

Saints and Leicester are the two most recent examples.

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You could put De Zerbi down to good fortune that he was available and wanted the job at Brighton but I bet they had a shortlist of candidates that might have been equally as good if not better than De Zerbi. I highly doubt we had such an extensive list of managers, a well run club keeps a shortlist of managers thats constantly evolving. The fact we were stumped when Beale turned us down last year until Fosun convinced JL and that we ended up with GON a few weeks ago probably says all we need to know.
Yes, good points. Even the media were saying Wolves were a bit shambolic over the whole process. I fear we are reactive rather than proactive both off and on the pitch.

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fortunately I think the three promoted teams are worse.
Luton definitely and Sheff Utd look doomed. Apparently, a club promoted from the Championship with 100+ points has never been relegated in their first season. I suspect Burnley will turn it around. Which leaves one place for the rest. I think Everton it may be third time lucky for Everton in their bid for Championship football.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Luton definitely and Sheff Utd look doomed. Apparently, a club promoted from the Championship with 100+ points has never been relegated in their first season. I suspect Burnley will turn it around. Which leaves one place for the rest. I think Everton it may be third time lucky for Everton in their bid for Championship football.
Burnley haven't got the team they was promoted with...it's a different team....the promoted team was all on loan....

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I didn’t and don’t want O’Neil but people having the knives sharpened after 3 games is way OTT especially when if you look at performances we battered united for 90 mins, had a solid first half against Brighton and a solid first half versus Palace. He deserves at least 8-10 games in my mind simply because the teams are so poor round us that in that timescale we’ll still probably be outside the bottom 3.

MasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I didn’t and don’t want O’Neil but people having the knives sharpened after 3 games is way OTT especially when if you look at performances we battered united for 90 mins, had a solid first half against Brighton and a solid first half versus Palace. He deserves at least 8-10 games in my mind simply because the teams are so poor round us that in that timescale we’ll still probably be outside the bottom 3.
The rational part of me agrees with you. However, prevention is the best cure, and I can only see this going one way. My fear is that after 10 games we will barely have any points and we will have to have a huge turnaround to save our season.

If I'm wrong and O'Neil starts to get this team winning consistently, I'll be the first to praise him, but I just can't see that happening.

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
and the funny thing is that i have seen and heard independent pundits and Journalists reckon we havent been playing too badly so far!

Last edited:

Lupo Italiano

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The rational part of me agrees with you. However, prevention is the best cure, and I can only see this going one way. My fear is that after 10 games we will barely have any points and we will have to have a huge turnaround to save our season.

If I'm wrong and O'Neil starts to get this team winning consistently, I'll be the first to praise him, but I just can't see that happening.

And if this happens we won't have a top manager and unprecedented mid-season World Cup to save us unlike last season

oldgoldheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lets see. My guess is we will be bottom by 8 games

Pengwern

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nah! Once we’ve integrated the 4 new players we bought / loaned, we’ll have a deeper squad with good options in key positions so I’m fairly upbeat looking ahead. GON wants greater focus on the 2 boxes and transitions & quick passing. Watch the training vids e.g the Bellegard one!

cannockwolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Definitely nunes we looked ****e from united to everton, nunes would have run the game against everton,

I really shouldn't comment because I have not read the whole thread, but this statement of fact just stood out.

I am reading this right, you are saying Nunes would have run the game against Everton - like as in fact?

why?

I am not having a go, we can all believe in what we like - but why would he have run the game when for 95% of his previous games he was fairly average at best?

I thought he was outstanding in three games, Liverpool, Chelsea, and United just before he left (although they all played well with Cunha having an excellent game).

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I really shouldn't comment because I have not read the whole thread, but this statement of fact just stood out.

I am reading this right, you are saying Nunes would have run the game against Everton - like as in fact?

why?

I am not having a go, we can all believe in what we like - but why would he have run the game when for 95% of his previous games he was fairly average at best?

I thought he was outstanding in three games, Liverpool, Chelsea, and United just before he left (although they all played well with Cunha having an excellent game).
I mean run the game as in running the press. Watching that game we needed someone to beat press that's what he does

MasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd probably be warmer towards GO if he had an older head alongside him to bounce off. His backroom team is small and either failed drastically or reasonably highly thought of but lacking in experience.
That's the worst part for me. I hate when journalists use the phrase "highly thought of". They always use it for people with no experience, which in my eyes is a nice way of saying, they've done **** all.

Topcat

Groupie
Reaction score
Kind of think you’ve answered your question?!

Good performances against the teams that matter to engineer a move?

Might be wrong but that’s how it comes across to me!

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That's the worst part for me. I hate when journalists use the phrase "highly thought of". They always use it for people with no experience, which in my eyes is a nice way of saying, they've done **** all.
Agreed. 'Well respected'.....(but not well respected enough for their previous club to fight to keep them)

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Anyone worked out his tactics yet?

Palace and brighton put 7 goals past us already quite concerning
I think my biggest worry is that he wants to play a high press. This is also I think what Lopetegui wanted to do, but knew he couldn't with this squad. My scrap of hope is that the new signings enable us to play this way, or just maybe that O'Neil does what any sensible manager would do and picks a style to fit the squad he's been given.

Yduti

Groupie
Reaction score
I think my biggest worry is that he wants to play a high press. This is also I think what Lopetegui wanted to do, but knew he couldn't with this squad. My scrap of hope is that the new signings enable us to play this way, or just maybe that O'Neil does what any sensible manager would do and picks a style to fit the squad he's been given.
High press is a very good system and i think athletic mentioned too that he likes high pressing but the question is do we have the players to play that playstyle

NewarkWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Anyone worked out his tactics yet?

Palace and brighton put 7 goals past us already quite concerning
Attack whenever possible and hope to convert what chances we get while knowing we’ll get the same if not more chances against us so fingers crossed we score more…..

That’s about it for me.

NewarkWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
High press is a very good system and i think athletic mentioned too that he likes high pressing but the question is do we have the players to play that playstyle
No… and do we have the quality at the back to then deal with the wave of attacks we’ll receive when the opposition turn the play straight back at us??? Again No.

Warrington_Wolf

Reaction score
I couldn’t give a stuff if we play well in patches if we fall to bits at some point during the game and concede a hatful of goals.

It’s a bit like someone asking you how potty training is going and responding ‘yeah it’s going really well, apart from the three times he **** the bed last night, he slept straight through!’.

Given the fragility of our defence and our impotent strike force we are going to need more than decent spells or decent halves in games to pick up enough points.

And for the record I don’t think our first half performances against Brighton or Palace were decent. I think we were distinctly average in both but it just shows how far standards have fallen at the club that people are trying to find positives or hope in them. A real shame.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
As I said iny post, not in the players we've seen so far. Dawson in particular has been regularly exposed.
Attack whenever possible and hope to convert what chances we get while knowing we’ll get the same if not more chances against us so fingers crossed we score more…..

That’s about it for me.
Yes, as I said weeks ago, xG 2-2 means we lose most weeks.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Dawson and Kilman too slow for high line

Bueno Toti to take over? Back 4 doesn’t work as it is

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Were these performances more Lopetegui than O’Neil? I think Utd was, where we looked fit, sharp and created lots of chances. Although we have looked decent we have also looked less likely to score goals as the season has progressed since Utd.

The manager has recognised our inability to score needs to be fixed but so did Lopetegui, Lage and Nuno after his penultimate season.

As per the last 3 seasons we are on track for a goal a game. All our goals so far have been headers or shoulders from crosses. Nothing from any other area. The positive is that we are getting players on the ends of these crosses but sooner or later teams will suss this out. Again.

Back
Top Bottom