Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Gary O'Neil - tactics

Evthewolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Seems like a repeat of conversations of Nunos end, Bruno tenure and Julens!

Our players are overrated to ****.
That’s the thing. Whilst I am not a fan of O’Neil, that performance was typical of several we witnessed under all of his predecessors. If you didn’t know, you could be forgiven for thinking it was any one of them.

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He should have been the guy the club went for after JL went…… would have been worth the compo to be paid.

Ex player, did a fantastic job in the age groups and has done a good job with shoestring budgets and lesser players.

I would go for him now in all honesty……
He would have been my choice based off the supposed brief of being English and “up and coming”

lobodelsur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
On my commentary Alan Smith (?) suggested that the difference between the teams was that most of Palace's team/squad have extensive PL experience whereas ours don't.
Its a valid point.
But I would add that it can be compensated for by a Head Coach who has PL experience and know-how. Currently we have neither.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
if you want a manager with experience and knows he's style of play let's get Shaun dyce ...oh wait he's doing worse and had a whole pre season with his team
They are playing much better than us and were by far the better team against us…… we stole a win thanks to Jose Sa having the game of his life. And the second time a goal keeper has been motm against them.

They should be and very unlucky to not be on 6/7 points……

We are lucky to have 3!!!!!

They have also lost a good number of players to injury.

They will go past us in the league soon enough…..

Dyche is a far better manager and I would take him here in a heart beat

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
On my commentary Alan Smith (?) suggested that the difference between the teams was that most of Palace's team/squad have extensive PL experience whereas ours don't.
Its a valid point.
But I would add that it can be compensated for by a Head Coach who has PL experience and know-how. Currently we have neither.
Roy hodgson would get a song out of our team……

This season we needed an experienced coach just to pull something together and make it work.

The job this season is too big for an effective novice

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just saying that Lop is still in Wolverhampton.

Having lunch today with his wife in a Tettenhall Italian restaurant and sitting near my sister. Spending some of his pay off money no doubt.

Sister text me and says his wife is very attractive. I told her to tell him to **** off if she gets the chance!

Brixton Wanderer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Not sure what thread to post it in but **** me I miss Nuno.

Absolutely criminal he’s not still out manager. Makes my blood boil.
I’d rather go down with Nuno than survive with GON.

Might sound mental but I just can’t see GON building something here, whether that be his own side to fight for 7th/8th place or a foundation for someone else to push us on afterwards.

Nuno you’d expect to build something, even if it meant a step backwards.

All hypothetical of course.

Losing JL is going to be a big ‘what if’ moment in years to come.

Antonline1987

Groupie
Reaction score
They are playing much better than us and were by far the better team against us…… we stole a win thanks to Jose Sa having the game of his life. And the second time a goal keeper has been motm against them.

They should be and very unlucky to not be on 6/7 points……

We are lucky to have 3!!!!!

They have also lost a good number of players to injury.

They will go past us in the league soon enough…..

Dyche is a far better manager and I would take him here in a heart beat
OK mate I think it's fair to say were not gonna agree ..... but I do look at teams like brighton arsenal west ham Forrest who all stuck with their manager when things weren't going great and look where those teams are now ...you don't agree fair enough your entitled to your opinion but plenty of teams have changed manager 2/3 times a season and imploded I just think he need to be given til Xmas at very least

WWFC4EVA

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I said it the day he was appointed, Gary O'Neil should be nowhere near our football club, surely even the biggest happy clapping optimist amongst us can see that now?
But do you know what?.... I point blank refuse to turn on the guy.
The ones deserving of calling out, or criticism, are those responsible for appointing him.
Fosun are no longer looking out for the best interests of Wolverhampton Wanderers... Fosun are only concerned for themselves!

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
OK mate I think it's fair to say were not gonna agree ..... but I do look at teams like brighton arsenal west ham Forrest who all stuck with their manager when things weren't going great and look where those teams are now ...you don't agree fair enough your entitled to your opinion but plenty of teams have changed manager 2/3 times a season and imploded I just think he need to be given til Xmas at very least
All those clubs have much better managers than GO……

Mel Eves on a bike

Reaction score
I thought that both managers gave pretty honest reviews of the game. We did have control of large parts of the game and moved the ball well. But we know all too well we can look tidy without being much of a threat.

I liked Roy’s comments about Palace not thinking they could expect to win and need to fight for everything and that’s exactly what we need to do - have a bit of that mentality.

Ches78

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
That’s the thing. Whilst I am not a fan of O’Neil, that performance was typical of several we witnessed under all of his predecessors. If you didn’t know, you could be forgiven for thinking it was any one of them.
Fair point, I think it stems from our long standing inability to make and convert chances. Which is probably at least partly because we continue to fail to pay out for a proper goal scorer/target man to spearhead the attack.

Well, we did on Sasa, but then he got injured - so I guess we might have the answer when he's truly fit. We obviously spent big on Cunha, but he's not someone to lead the attack as CF or target man. When we sold Nunes I assumed we'd try to get someone, perhaps just on loan- even after Adams didn't happen - but no.

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We desperately need an identity. We haven’t had one for years now. Well, I suppose we do - slow, dull football that nobody enjoys watching, including our own fans. We are the worst team to watch in the league and have been for a few years.

WWFC4EVA

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We desperately need an identity. We haven’t had one for years now. Well, I suppose we do - slow, dull football that nobody enjoys watching, including our own fans. We are the worst team to watch in the league and have been for a few years.
I'm a Wolves fan, and frankly, even I couldn't believe our game against Palace was televised ahead of Liverpool v Villa.
We're an awful watch!

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I thought that both managers gave pretty honest reviews of the game. We did have control of large parts of the game and moved the ball well. But we know all too well we can look tidy without being much of a threat.

I liked Roy’s comments about Palace not thinking they could expect to win and need to fight for everything and that’s exactly what we need to do - have a bit of that mentality.

Yes, and start by putting this "we must play 4 at the back for attractive football" in the bin where it belongs! 3 at the back - we know brings out the best in Kilman. And Toti also looked good enough in it.

Shore up the defence so we don't look likely to concede a goal out of nothing. Like Palaces second goal, for example. Solid defensive midfielders, not those who gift the ball to opposition cheaply. Though I think all our current midfield are guilty of that, just have to go with those who do it least.

Attack is still close to non-existant, but as Sasa gains fitness, with Neto and Cunha also improving steadily, there's some hope there.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We are all forgetting Oneil is a cheap yes man I doubt they will sack him unless we lost 6/7 in a row which could happen

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes, and start by putting this "we must play 4 at the back for attractive football" in the bin where it belongs! 3 at the back - we know brings out the best in Kilman. And Toti also looked good enough in it.

Shore up the defence so we don't look likely to concede a goal out of nothing. Like Palaces second goal, for example. Solid defensive midfielders, not those who gift the ball to opposition cheaply. Though I think all our current midfield are guilty of that, just have to go with those who do it least.

Attack is still close to non-existant, but as Sasa gains fitness, with Neto and Cunha also improving steadily, there's some hope there.
It is funny how people insist we need to play with 4 at the back to play attractive football when our worst football of the last 6 years has come from the switch to 4 at the back. It’s an absolute no brainer to revert to what made us successful at this level.

Evthewolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Just to try and add a bit of balance and realism.

1. Hypothetically, if we had been able to get Pep, Klopp or similar over the summer (same squad), how many points do you think we would have, right now?

2. I would imagine most on here would have been overjoyed and highly optimistic had we appointed Pochettino. He has one of the most expensive squads in the Prem and currently they sit on one point more than us. Should Chelsea fans be baying for him to be sacked for being a complete failure?

3. Realistically, who else could/would/should we have got?

I see quite a few names thrown around but of the realistic ones, none of them would guarantee a massive change. Most good managers are already in a better job than Wolves can offer and the vast majority of managers who are out of a job, are out of one for a reason.

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Couldn’t agree more. We were far better to watch and scored way more goals with 3 at the back.

Cunha and Neto are both best on the counter.. Sasa a big target man.. Bellegarde looks like he can break quickly. Let’s just solidify the defence and let RAN and Doherty get forward.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just to try and add a bit of balance and realism.

1. Hypothetically, if we had been able to get Pep, Klopp or similar over the summer (same squad), how many points do you think we would have, right now?

2. I would imagine most on here would have been overjoyed and highly optimistic had we appointed Pochettino. He has one of the most expensive squads in the Prem and currently they sit on one point more than us. Should Chelsea fans be baying for him to be sacked for being a complete failure?

3. Realistically, who else could/would/should we have got?

I see quite a few names thrown around but of the realistic ones, none of them would guarantee a massive change. Most good managers are already in a better job than Wolves can offer and the vast majority of managers who are out of a job, are out of one for a reason.
Hassenhuttl good coach or Big Sam big experience

Gary ain’t got a scooby

oldgoldheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They started with decent managers. We dont

Mel Eves on a bike

Reaction score

I wouldn’t be surprised if he does that against Liverpool.

oldgoldheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It is funny how people insist we need to play with 4 at the back to play attractive football when our worst football of the last 6 years has come from the switch to 4 at the back. It’s an absolute no brainer to revert to what made us successful at this level.
Long gone as have the players who made it work. This forum hated coady but he sat at tge centre and helped give us our best defence for years

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
By the way, I really find this odd. Hobbs is clearly knowledgeable and good at finding good players at low prices.
So why be so poor at finding a manager?
Although I guess limitations such as finances and nationality didn't help
Give him the minimum budget with the promise of no signings to the new manager and tell me what managers would be queueing up to come

Bill McCai

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
“It will be difficult for other people to see this today, of course, because it just goes down to a 3-2 defeat away to Crystal Palace but big strides have been made from the team that I saw and was working with three weeks ago to where they were today.
So this comment appeared in the E&S article. GoN is saying we have taken big strides in the time he has taken over. I presume he means forwards!

Back
Top Bottom