Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Gary O'Neil - tactics

tonto

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
When Julen wavered at the end of the season we should have been getting a list of potential QUALITY replacements sorted but instead we left it to the last minute and employed a bloke who’d have been lucky to get a championship job let alone a premier league one.
Think the price needed to be right, short sighted again

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Now that is laughable.
Not once has he recognised the foundation left behind for him by Lopetegui. Rather he's used every opportunity to make it sound like he'd walked into a disastrous mess..
I understand a new manager wanting to highlight his own ability which often means having a minor go at the previous guy. But this is getting ridiculous now. Also the players who respected Lopetegui must be puzzled by this guy walking in telling them the former Spain coach who used to coach was basically clueless.

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I know it's early days blah blah blah; and it was Palarse, and we never do anything against them. But I think we're very close to being in very big trouble.

Those very happy days under Nuno seem a very long time ago now.
Nuno had better players didn’t he.

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We were in a worse state 3 weeks ago according to O'Neil?
So he think we've steadily improved since the United game?
Very concerning that he’s detached from reality so soon in the season and is indirectly blaming Lopetegui. How many goal attempts did we have v Utd? Ok, we could t hit a barn door from 10 yards but it was way ahead of where we were today.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Jeffrey had a dream
To f**k up a football team
We can’t defend at the back
Or score in attack
We’re Wolverhampton
Now give Gary the sack

:)

I think the last line should be…

Now give Shi the sack

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We've been here before though.
Saunders, Solbakken(who I think is decent but definitely was the wrong choice), Zenga
This sense that sense that this is a disastrous choice and will end in tears. But you keep hoping to be proven wrong despite no hope or evidence that you will.

GON has been here for almost a month. The facts so far are:
- No coherent playing style
- We concede more chances than last season
- Players look unhappy and lacking a plan
- Yet despite all this, he thinks we're improving..

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Brilliant.

What would you do differently?

Do you think it might possibly be the squad?

What should this group of players be achieving?
Now I'm not one the mentioned so I'm the wrong to answer that..

But you can't seriously think this group of players couldn't do better?

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In fairness to GON - bringing Traore on into the midfield was actually the right decision. It was just that he should have taken Cunha off and possibly brought Sasa on at the same time for Fabio.

The midfield was getting overrun at the time and needed an extra body in it. He just got the rest of it wrong.

Brixton Wanderer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Just to try and add a bit of balance and realism.

1. Hypothetically, if we had been able to get Pep, Klopp or similar over the summer (same squad), how many points do you think we would have, right now?

2. I would imagine most on here would have been overjoyed and highly optimistic had we appointed Pochettino. He has one of the most expensive squads in the Prem and currently they sit on one point more than us. Should Chelsea fans be baying for him to be sacked for being a complete failure?

3. Realistically, who else could/would/should we have got?

I see quite a few names thrown around but of the realistic ones, none of them would guarantee a massive change. Most good managers are already in a better job than Wolves can offer and the vast majority of managers who are out of a job, are out of one for a reason.
1. Assuming from Man Utd onwards, 4-9.

2. Different situation for me and not really comparable.

3. We should still have Lopetegui in post. Assuming that would always play out the way it has, it’s hard to suggest a realistic name as we don’t confidently know what our financial situation is, or what the Fosun’s short and long term goals are.

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In fairness to GON - bringing Traore on into the midfield was actually the right decision. It was just that he should have taken Cunha off and possibly brought Sasa on at the same time for Fabio.

The midfield was getting overrun at the time and needed an extra body in it. He just got the rest of it wrong.
Good point. But according to GON we weren't overrun. We were well in control..

T

TheConcourse

Who should come in? Who would do better with the Centre backs and centre forward’s available?
It’s the wrong question to ask. You can’t cling on to a **** house manager on the basis that someone else might not come in and do a better job.

There are 195 countries in the world, most of which play professional football. There has to be better than this clown!!

Topcat

Groupie
Reaction score
“On paper” we have a very talented bunch of players but unfortunately they are never going to achieve their potential at this club.

Maybe Nunes saw the writing on the wall and was just desperate to jump ship when City came calling?

Not condoning how he went about it, but perhaps he had a point?

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Now I'm not one the mentioned so I'm the wrong to answer that..

But you can't seriously think this group of players couldn't do better?
So you’ve failed to answer!

This squad is limited, particularly at centre back and centre forward. I’m actually amazed people don’t see it.

This forum is obsessed with who the manager is and seems to disregard who the players are.

What would you have done differently today??

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s the wrong question to ask. You can’t cling on to a **** house manager on the basis that someone else might not come in and do a better job.

There are 195 countries in the world, most of which play professional football. There has to be better than this clown!!
What would you have done differently today? Genuinely interested?

What centre backs and centre forwards would you have picked?

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

This squad is limited, particularly at centre back and centre forward. I’m actually amazed people don’t see it.

This forum is obsessed with who the manager is and seems to disregard who the players are.

You can add centre midfield to that after today.. unless Doyle and Bellegarde are here to start.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In man utd game , cunha was getting the ball and running at the defence and making all sorts happen.

Hasn't happened since

We are getting worse every week .

We are doomed

It is almost like Cunha has been reigned in. He doesnt look happy to me. Then again quite a few of the players dont look very happy to me.

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I would suggest nobody looks at our fixtures. Honestly looks like we may go into December under the 10 point mark.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What would you have done differently today? Genuinely interested?

What centre backs and centre forwards would you have picked?
Gomes off for traore
Ait nouri off for Bueno
Semedo off for doc

When players are on yellows they can’t make the challenges they sometimes would

I’d have also brought sasa on for Silva

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We were in a worse state 3 weeks ago according to O'Neil?
So he think we've steadily improved since the United game?
He is either delusional or an arrogant *****!!!!

We have declined after a great pre-season and the team looking fit and committed and knowing their roles and responsibilities.

If he believes this, he is more insane than the clown who relegated Southampton last season……

he is well out of his depth and those comments show he has a low level of football IQ if he believes that and this being a game he didn’t see us losing……

Andi130

Reaction score
Every dog has their day.. don’t forget GON’s Bournemouth beat Lopetegui’s Wolves earlier this year.
Please, please, please don't bring back the memories of Bournemouth at home. I beg you! They were quite possibly the worst Premiership team I've seen come to The Mol over the years, and they absolutely robbed us that day. Still remember how miffed I was at the boozer post match!

sedgwolf1980

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Tbf, looking at the same fixtures last season…. United, lost, Brighton, lost, Everton, won, palace, lost. I wouldn’t disagree, the playing squad we have assembled is so just timid it’s untrue.

At the same time though, Lopetegui, rightly or wrongly, gave us hope. Having GON as manager just us look like amateurs. Which we probably are, but we could at least try and dress it up a little.

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Please, please, please don't bring back the memories of Bournemouth at home. I beg you! They were quite possibly the worst Premiership team I've seen come to The Mol over the years, and they absolutely robbed us that day. Still remember how miffed I was at the boozer post match!
Soz.. but a point needed making. I hope you can forgive it.

Irish_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Who should come in? Who would do better with the Centre backs and centre forward’s available?
Like a broken record but I'll say it again. Giorgos Giakoumakis could have been signed for 5m
He's a strong bustling goal poacher who scores where ever he goes.

Defenders don't like him as he's in their faces with his aggressive style. Yet we stuck with 35m flop Silva.

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Gomes off for traore
Ait nouri off for Bueno
Semedo off for doc

When players are on yellows they can’t make the challenges they sometimes would

I’d have also brought sasa on for Silva
So a load of like for like changes.

Brilliant.

Back
Top Bottom