Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Gary O'Neil - tactics

Axle

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
On Nathan Jones, he was that much of a slow motion air-crash that I can't help but think he wasn't well and the pressure of managing in the PL was just too much.

I really want to be on board with GON, but he feels too lightweight for this job. He might well grow into the role, but I can't see it being as bad as NJ at Saints, partly because GON at least has all of his faculties about him (damning with faint praise, I know).

I know Southgate gets pelters on here, but there is a good example of someone who is clearly respected by his players and even though he is tactically limited. How often over the years with excellent coaches (Crapello, Sven etc) have you heard players say they prefer playing for the national team? He is one of the best examples of growing into a role to the point where at least we are talked about with some credulity about winning trophies and there are so many players who really want to play in that team now.

We won't be like that, but success has to be measured properly in the context of the problems that the club is facing: mid table would be out of this world I would think, but the team (if not the squad) are good enough to achieve this. Is the manager?

If he can do even a little bit of that he will be OK, but I just feel it's too much too soon.

Also and something that has been picked up elsewhere, our away form under JL was appalling. GON had some fine away victories last year (Arsenal?!) and surely we will be seeing an improvement there. It can't get any worse. The problem is that with the home atmosphere potentially turning toxic, if we don't pick up points away, we will be in real trouble. I am minded to remember one of the seasons under McGoo where we had title winning away form, but the home form was terrible. That's the kind of effect our crowds can have, so it is good that he is calling out the fans to support as we're in it together.

I hope that he proves me (and many others) wrong.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think it could become toxic towards Fosun not the manager. Nathan Jones is a particular individual who is a legend in his own lunchtime.
Tbh if things go tits up in the early games GON and the players aren't going to know exactly who the crowd are baying against. They'll all just feel the animosity and hostility. The Nathan Jones scenario is the elephant in the room where none of us really want to draw comparisons between the 2 situations and we all know where Soton ended up?

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Interesting you say we know plenty about O’Neil, seems to go against everyone saying he has no experience. Which one is it??
We know his name and he did well to keep Bournemouth up but a total 37 Prem games is no experience at all.

Yorkshire Wolf

Reaction score

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
On Nathan Jones, he was that much of a slow motion air-crash that I can't help but think he wasn't well and the pressure of managing in the PL was just too much.

I really want to be on board with GON, but he feels too lightweight for this job. He might well grow into the role, but I can't see it being as bad as NJ at Saints, partly because GON at least has all of his faculties about him (damning with faint praise, I know).

I know Southgate gets pelters on here, but there is a good example of someone who is clearly respected by his players and even though he is tactically limited. How often over the years with excellent coaches (Crapello, Sven etc) have you heard players say they prefer playing for the national team? He is one of the best examples of growing into a role to the point where at least we are talked about with some credulity about winning trophies and there are so many players who really want to play in that team now.

We won't be like that, but success has to be measured properly in the context of the problems that the club is facing: mid table would be out of this world I would think, but the team (if not the squad) are good enough to achieve this. Is the manager?

If he can do even a little bit of that he will be OK, but I just feel it's too much too soon.

Also and something that has been picked up elsewhere, our away form under JL was appalling. GON had some fine away victories last year (Arsenal?!) and surely we will be seeing an improvement there. It can't get any worse. The problem is that with the home atmosphere potentially turning toxic, if we don't pick up points away, we will be in real trouble. I am minded to remember one of the seasons under McGoo where we had title winning away form, but the home form was terrible. That's the kind of effect our crowds can have, so it is good that he is calling out the fans to support as we're in it together.

I think you might have turned off the Arsenal game too early..

Axle

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think you might have turned off the Arsenal game too early..
Oh yeah, they lost 3-2. I can remember watching it on MOTD and everyone was saying they should have won.

I was drunk at the time though

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Expectations (mine included) are that low that if there is even a semblance of performance, effort and occasional result the fans will get behind the team. It’s similar to Mick’s first season where we had no right to finish in the playoffs (a midfield of Potter and Olifanjana) but we managed it through performances and collective effort.

The consensus is that the squad is largely ok but with questions over the manager. We’ve just got to hope that O’Neil grows into the role. It does appear that Hoobs wants to have young and hungry players with young and hungry coaches. Certainly a mix that flies in the face of normal wisdom.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
From what Iv heard and read of G.O he chops and changes tactics depending on the situation and who we are playing

That isn’t great & lack’s identity. Secondly he reacts to situations as they happen. Maybe good for us. Could be bad for us. Our players are better than Bournemouth so we can expect more good than bad??

Padraig

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To be honest I’ll be pleasantly surprised if we aren’t lumping it to Sasa up top on his own on Monday

Agent Cooper

Reaction score
From what Iv heard and read of G.O he chops and changes tactics depending on the situation and who we are playing

That isn’t great & lack’s identity. Secondly he reacts to situations as they happen. Maybe good for us. Could be bad for us. Our players are better than Bournemouth so we can expect more good than bad??
That's the thing that concerns me the most. Hobbs see it as positive but I worry it will confuse the hell out of the players if we are constantly flip-flopping style and tactics from one game to the other. Will the players remain on side if this is happening with a backdrop of poor performances and an irritable fan base? I suspect not. So for his sake he needs to get results on the board pretty quick to keep everyone on side.

The Bournemouth fans seemed confused by his tactics but tolerated it as against the odds they stayed up and their expectations were pretty low last season anyway. No disrespect to Bournemouth but managing Wolves comes with a different level of expectation. Can he step up and handle that? We are about to find out!

Ditton Wolf

Reaction score

Bournemouth lost 3-2 but had the lead and nearly got a draw... get your point though

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
That's the thing that concerns me the most. Hobbs see it as positive but I worry it will confuse the hell out of the players if we are constantly flip-flopping style and tactics from one game to the other. Will the players remain on side if this is happening with a backdrop of poor performances and an irritable fan base? I suspect not. So for his sake he needs to get results on the board pretty quick to keep everyone on side.

The Bournemouth fans seemed confused by his tactics but tolerated it as against the odds they stayed up and their expectations were pretty low last season anyway. No disrespect to Bournemouth but managing Wolves comes with a different level of expectation. Can he step up and handle that? We are about to find out!
Not sure about this. Lopetegui would play different formations in one game at times. If you're reading the games and exploiting weaknesses it's great management. If you're just indecisive and don't know your best team then you look like a fool. Basically it's like everything in football, if you win all is fine, if you lose whatever you did was wrong.

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Yeah I was a bit worried about the lack of identity but I think he spoke quite well today and that eased some of my fears in that regard. Feels very much like he wants to create a clear identity based around the players we've.

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not sure about this. Lopetegui would play different formations in one game at times. If you're reading the games and exploiting weaknesses it's great management. If you're just indecisive and don't know your best team then you look like a fool. Basically it's like everything in football, if you win all is fine, if you lose whatever you did was wrong.
The challenge is we knew from his past that Lopetegui can in due time create a strong identity where as we are yet to see it with O'Neill
But it can be argued that we didn't see the best of any of them last season as they both came into such special circumstances.

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A classic example was Spurs at home last season. First 20 minutes weren’t at the races and looked like we would be battered. Costa gets an injury and needs to go and during the treatment of Costa JL gets Lemina to drop deeper and mark Kane. 2nd half Lemina off and Collins on and we go 3 at the back and are massively the better team.

Good coaches adapt to situations unless they are massively superior to the opposition. Nuno was regularly criticised for not having a plan B. We played 3:4:3 in the Championship and never needed to change it as we were just better than everyone else. It worked initially in the Premiership? Then teams worked it out. He went 5:3:2. Bruno would change formation virtually every game but couldn’t adapt in game.

loppers86

Reaction score
Interesting you say we know plenty about O’Neil, seems to go against everyone saying he has no experience. Which one is it??
he has close to zero experience and when the pressure builds he’s going to collapse like a pack of cards and jeff is going to call up Big Sam - nothing has ever been clearer.

This is an eight-month long slow motion car crash and we are skidding out of control already.

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

It’s not lacking identity at all. Many managers chop and change formations and tactics to take into account the strengths and weaknesses of the opposition. I would be far more worried if he didn’t react to situations as they arose.

wolvesaywe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
he has close to zero experience and when the pressure builds he’s going to collapse like a pack of cards and jeff is going to call up Big Sam - nothing has ever been clearer.

This is an eight-month long slow motion car crash and we are skidding out of control already.
He didn't collapse last year in the same high pressure environment

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Expectations (mine included) are that low that if there is even a semblance of performance, effort and occasional result the fans will get behind the team. It’s similar to Mick’s first season where we had no right to finish in the playoffs (a midfield of Potter and Olifanjana) but we managed it through performances and collective effort.

The consensus is that the squad is largely ok but with questions over the manager. We’ve just got to hope that O’Neil grows into the role. It does appear that Hoobs wants to have young and hungry players with young and hungry coaches. Certainly a mix that flies in the face of normal wisdom.
Crap. Hobbs wanted the first manager who could get up to Molineux for an interview. I heard that GON was visiting his Mum in B'ham and he said he could be there in half an hour. He'd driven in, met Hobbs, had a coffee, signed the contract and was back with his Mum in time for tea. 'Young and hungry' my ****.

Asthmatic Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I would love nothing more than for Gaz to be the next coming of Arrigo Saachi and shove my disdain and that of some fellow posters down our throats, I’m sure they would too.

But this appointment gives me a feeling I last had when Terry Connor took the top job, and that feeling was sadly borne out many times over.

BrierleyHillWolves

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Crap. Hobbs wanted the first manager who could get up to Molineux for an interview. I heard that GON was visiting his Mum in B'ham and he said he could be there in half an hour. He'd driven in, met Hobbs, had a coffee, signed the contract and was back with his Mum in time for tea. 'Young and hungry' my ****.
Are you serious?

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s not lacking identity at all. Many managers chop and change formations and tactics to take into account the strengths and weaknesses of the opposition. I would be far more worried if he didn’t react to situations as they arose.
If he confuses the players and over thinks it. He could lose the players. Just grow a pair of balls and go and attack teams Gaz

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I would love nothing more than for Gaz to be the next coming of Arrigo Saachi and shove my disdain and that of some fellow posters down our throats, I’m sure they would too.

But this appointment gives me a feeling I last had when Terry Connor took the top job, and that feeling was sadly borne out many times over.
Dean Saunders was a more popular appointment.....

Agent Cooper

Reaction score
I agree in game management is what top coaches do, changing formations, tactics depending on how things pan out. Was just concerned about wholesale changes of tactics and personnel from game to game. Bournemouth fans have been alluding to no discernable style or tactics whilst there. Probably had something to do with the tools at his disposal (I hope!).

Tweaks are fine for specific opponents, even going from 4 at the back to 5 once in a while. Constant tinkering though I'm not so sure about. Anyway having seen GON's press conference it looks like he's going for a core identify with tweaks and occasional formation changes to suit whoever the opposition is. I think that's perfectly prudent. We haven't got the quality in depth to just play our way and hope for and expect the best. I could understand it if we start with a 5 at the back on Monday for example. It's United, away and we have won once there in 40+ years!

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Probably more people saying how stupid JL was to start Mouts as a 10, Cunha as a 9, leave Podence (however frustrating) a creative player on the bench for an hour and then when we need a goal, we take off Cunha for Costa and then take Adama off and bring on Raul leaving Sarabia on for the entire 90.
And yet people still have the man down as a master tactician. He's a good manager. He's benefited, in my opinion, from Spanish nepotism (seriously, take a proper look at his CV). He's definitely the man we wanted this season, he has the credentials, the contacts, the gravitas etc. But does he actually have the managerial talent? Well maybe, but I'd say that's solely based on his time at Saville, and certainly not on his performances at Porto, Spain or Madrid. I'd rather he was here, but his CV isn't all it's cracked up to be imo. Maybe I'm just bitter though.

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Looked a good session, players seem in good spirits.
There seemed a few confused faces in early parts, but they all got a sweat on, there was a lot of work on intricate stuff, under pressure in transitions, and finishing. Things we need to be fair. Plenty of competitive edge and smiles by the end.
**** knows what lineup he’ll pick after that though.

Back
Top Bottom