Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Gary O'Neil - tactics

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
hmmm i know its just a short walk video but from that i wouldnt use the word "presence"

just hope to god his number two has some gravitas.
Likewise, if you can tell anything (and you obviously can't), I'd say he looked quite thoughtful as if he knew that first impressions with the squad might be vital, but that walking along with his head down made him look like someone who wasn't going to come in and own the place.

On the plus side that's definitely way too much analysis on a 5 second walk.

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Apparently Lee Carsley was also on the shortlist so the "young British manager" certainly seems to be what we are looking for. Personally, I think that is a poor profile to look for when you consider the demographics of our squad, but at least we have a profile (trying to be somewhat positive).

However, any list where Lee Carsley is considered and Gary O'Neil is the top candidate does not fill me with any kind of hope. It's as though we are operating as a Championship club.
Given that the constraints that Hobbs was operating under, and would have to put to a new Head Coach:
  • No money for incomings
  • Have to sell first team regulars in order to buy anyone new in
  • Probably no money in January
  • Probably cant have too big a back room team
  • An OK salary but not an exceptional salary
  • Must be available for an immediate start
  • Must not involve paying compensation to another club
  • Have to be ready to play ManUre on Monday night and Brighton at home 5 days later
Who do you think was going to be on the short list of people to interview? It was probably a very short list.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Given that the constraints that Hobbs was operating under, and would have to put to a new Head Coach:
  • No money for incomings
  • Have to be ready to play ManUre on Monday night and Brighton at home 5 days later
Who do you think was going to be on the short list of people to interview? It was probably a very short list.
You need a manager who knows the prem and he does, for me it was him or potter now rodgers went to celtic.

I accept that potter was on a high wage so unlikely

KBWWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
  • No money for incomings

Alternatively, the club could've not spent 10M on a severance package and signed Elvedi and another couple of frees for squad depth and kept the manager that's prepped them for the season.

Wolf in the sun

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Likewise, if you can tell anything (and you obviously can't), I'd say he looked quite thoughtful as if he knew that first impressions with the squad might be vital, but that walking along with his head down made him look like someone who wasn't going to come in and own the place.

On the plus side that's definitely way too much analysis on a 5 second walk.
or was simply surprised there was a camera there....jeezzzz we have way too much time to be talking about this :tearsofjoy:

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Alternatively, the club could've not spent 10M on a severance package and signed Elvedi and another couple of frees for squad depth and kept the manager that's prepped them for the season.
the severance doesnt affect FFP if we are going to go down that line.

Its all bonkers money is there money isnt, cashflow is ****.

Awaiting to see if a macquarie loan is coming in

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

plays 4-2-3-1 from what i remember
This is actually an encouraging read...
Could we actually start to see some useful corners again?

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Agree with that completely. We probably have to sell someone now just to pay the JL and Team severance!

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You need a manager who knows the prem and he does, for me it was him or potter now rodgers went to celtic.

I accept that potter was on a high wage so unlikely

Also I think that Potter's reputation has suffered by what happened at Chelsea - he could not galvanise the team, they didnt put in much effort and they were accused of being unfit. Not convinced that he is as good as made out.
Would be interesting to know if he was sounded out and interviewed. As I said, by necessity, i bet it was a very short list.
I wouldnt be surprised if Rob Edwards was asked at the Luton friendly, but maybe he chose to do his PL apprenticeship at Luton where he is in a no lose situation.

Bradstonian

Reaction score
That might just have delayed JuLo's departure by a couple of months at best, given his clear reluctance to be here anyway, (reading the body language).

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Also I think that Potter's reputation has suffered by what happened at Chelsea - he could not galvanise the team, they didnt put in much effort and they were accused of being unfit. Not convinced that he is as good as made out.
Would be interesting to know if he was sounded out and interviewed. As I said, by necessity, i bet it was a very short list.
I wouldnt be surprised if Rob Edwards was asked at the Luton friendly, but maybe he chose to do his PL apprenticeship at Luton where he is in a no lose situation.
He also was badly affected by the abuse and public scrutiny he got, something that would have been a huge shock to him after the relative calm of Brighton.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm not talking about the owners, I'm talking about the fans. They didn't sack O'Neil but were happy that he was sacked.

Some were some thought it harsh. They have been wishing him well at Wolves since he was linked with us. Just read their thread on him on their fan forum.

Jd132

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I am now hoping GON goes with an industrial, direct 442, two banks of four, get it forward quickly, bang in the crosses approach. If he does that, at least we won't have to suffer the crap version tiki taka we have been watching for years.

To make that work, and if Guedes and Podence are being reintegrated, I think our squad only really needs a new, 6'5" brute of a CB which, out of every position on the pitch I am confident GON and Shaun could identify.

Screenshot_20230810_121648_LINEUP11.jpg

Reaction score
I watched dazlin Daves podcast yesterday with the Bournemouth fan and was ready to jump in the cut shortly after‍♂️

But today watched the follow up poddy with a more balanced view with some great info and insights. I was feeling like my glass was empty after the first but my glass seemed almost full after the second.

If you have not seen the podcast take a look.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I am now hoping GON goes with an industrial, direct 442, two banks of four, get it forward quickly, bang in the crosses approach. If he does that, at least we won't have to suffer the crap version tiki taka we have been watching for years.

To make that work, and if Guedes and Podence are being reintegrated, I think our squad only really needs a new, 6'5" brute of a CB which, out of every position on the pitch I am confident GON and Shaun could identify.

View attachment 36368
My God, those wanting the return of Mick may have finally won....

MasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I watched dazlin Daves podcast yesterday with the Bournemouth fan and was ready to jump in the cut shortly after‍♂️

But today watched the follow up poddy with a more balanced view with some great info and insights. I was feeling like my glass was empty after the first but my glass seemed almost full after the second.

The follow up poddy with a more balanced view had no Bournemouth fans on it, so no wonder you feel better about it.

I feel awful after watching Dave's video with the Bournemouth fan and no amount of Wolves fans thinking they know more about O'Neil than B'mouth fans will change that.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

If Guedes is being reintegrated...what little hope I had left has gone!

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

View attachment 36368
1. What do the asterixs mean please?
2. What makes you think Guedes is being reintegrated? He had a second knee operation only about 6-8 weeks ago so is probably doing rehab. ISTR reading that he wasn’t going to be ready for any pre-season training but Benfica had agreed to take him back on loan once fit again.

ETA a link to the injury, op and loan:

Last edited:

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Sheesh...please not another manager who's main play is defensive counter attack.

Jd132

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
1. What do the asterixs mean please?
2. What makes you think Guedes is being reintegrated? He had a second knee operation only about 6-8 weeks ago so is probably doing rehab. ISTR reading that he wasn’t going to be ready for any pre-season training but Benfica had agreed to take him back on loan once fit again.

ETA a link to the injury, op and loan:
The asterisks are for homegrown players. Re: Guedes- plenty of people think GON is going to make a difference, maybe he can get Guedes onside and performing too! His loan hasn't been confirmed.

Streathamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm not talking about the owners, I'm talking about the fans. They didn't sack O'Neil but were happy that he was sacked.
If you read the comms thread on here we are the worst team in the universe and everybody should be sacked.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’ve kind of come around to this move when it became clear (through mainly Fosun’s fault) that Lopetegui’s position was untenable.

Regarding style of play I think we can all ignore everything that the Bournemouth fans say about it because maybe he adapted a needs must approach. I’m aware I’ve completely 180’d on this, I’m glad I have, but he’s already complimented the quality of player here and I don’t believe Hobbs would have employed him if he’d gone “yea I want to employ a very pragmatic, defence first approach, no frills just smash and grab” in his interview.

Time will tell but I’ve got a sneaking suspicion that there might be more to O’Neil than what we saw at Bournemouth.

** I’m also prepared to 180 on this post too.

Olivergoldblack

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
This feels a bit like the Saunders debacle to me. When we go him in, we thought it's a but left field and doesn't seem right for the level we were at the time, but maybe we should give him benefit of the doubt, maybe he'll get something going. Then obviously our worst fears were realized.

With O'Neil, feels the same. You want to back him, give him benefit of the doubt but ultimatley I don't think he's the man for this level. It's gonna be a shambles. I'd be amazed if he's still here by xmas (Hopefully he proves me wrong!).

I can see it now, we'll be middling along in the championship next season, hoping we can get on a late run to sneak into the play-offs.
The Nuno, Neves and Raul days will be a distant memory.

(Can someone re-post this, if he takes us into a cup-final and Europe, I'll happily rejoice at my negative premonition!)

Wolf of Salop

Groupie
Reaction score
  • No money for incomings
Can one name constitute a 'list'?

Reaction score
I think a lot of folks being angry with what has happened this week have adopted an anti Gary view understandibly.

However he is our manager now and i will be 100% behind him till i see evidence that he is no good.

I think we will have a better idea of his qualities when he has been in charge for 10 games.

I an quietly confident he will turn out ok and as good as what is available at short notice and with limited funds available.

I am saving my anger for Jeff and JL who are the real villans here.

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This feels a bit like the Saunders debacle to me. When we go him in, we thought it's a but left field and doesn't seem right for the level we were at the time, but maybe we should give him benefit of the doubt, maybe he'll get something going. Then obviously our worst fears were realized.

With O'Neil, feels the same. You want to back him, give him benefit of the doubt but ultimatley I don't think he's the man for this level. It's gonna be a shambles. I'd be amazed if he's still here by xmas (Hopefully he proves me wrong!).

I can see it now, we'll be middling along in the championship next season, hoping we can get on a late run to sneak into the play-offs.
The Nuno, Neves and Raul days will be a distant memory.

(Can someone re-post this, if he takes us into a cup-final and Europe, I'll happily rejoice at my negative premonition!)
I get the impression of a little more competence and sanity from GON as opposed to Saunders. But in general I’d agree.

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I get the impression of a little more competence and sanity from GON as opposed to Saunders. But in general I’d agree.
"A little more..."
I'd say he's way more competent than Saunders.
And that doesnt mean he's a topclass manager. We'll see about that...

Flea

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Gary O Neil must be given a fair chance by us supporters.
The guy had a rock solid and long career as a very decent player,and no one can deem his work at Bournemouth as a failure.
The results on the pitch will decide.
Personally,this season is all avoiding relegation IMO.
I do not care if this means turgid football a la Lage if this means it will produce 40 points over the season.

First chance GON will have to really put his stamp on our squad will most probably have to wait til next summer window.
I´ll give him the benefit of doubt at least until then.

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
"A little more..."
I'd say he's way more competent than Saunders.
And that doesnt mean he's a topclass manager. We'll see about that...
Was managing my expectations. It would be hard to find someone less competent than Saunders but you can never tell when Jeff sees a challenge and says hold my beer.

I think GON is a lot more competent on paper, am hoping this transfers to the pitch. I will feel for him if he ends up with the EPL equivalent of Kasper Gorkks but I doubt he’d ask for him.

Back
Top Bottom