Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Gary O’Neil

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I did notice the difference in the body language between the two managers as they came out onto the pitch on Saturday. Edwards was striding out confidently and purposefully, whereas Gary was slouching out with his hands in his pockets and his shoulders hunched. He is beginning to acquire that haunted look that I have observed in many Wolves managers over the years once they have been here for a while.
Been here less than two months hahahaha

He knows deep down that he isn’t good enough for the role and is likely making himself unemployable in the prem for a long time due to how this stint is going and how badly Bournemouth played despite staying up.

He got our thought, manoeuvred and coached by edwards in a major way with a less talented squad. That will hurt any persons ego!

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I did notice the difference in the body language between the two managers as they came out onto the pitch on Saturday. Edwards was striding out confidently and purposefully, whereas Gary was slouching out with his hands in his pockets and his shoulders hunched. He is beginning to acquire that haunted look that I have observed in many Wolves managers over the years once they have been here for a while.

And if they don't get that haunted look of failure, Fosun will make sure they don't stick around too long. Can't have a confident and purposeful head coach refusing to be the owners puppet, can we?

loppers86

Reaction score
Not looking to pick on you specifically, John, so I apologise in advance, but this is as good a juncture as any to ask the question.

There are variations on this view scattered throughout the forum, that fans should get behind the manager, give him time, to accept the reality of our situation. And it's true in the sense that O'Neil is going nowhere; the club aren't going to give him a long contract and then fire him after six games, or ten games, or twelve, they just aren't, so it's pointless in a way to even discuss it. But do you, or anyone else following the same train of thought, truly believe that he's the right person for the job? Or is it just a case of "That's how it is, deal with it"? Because that kind of thinking only really ends one way, sadly. Is anyone truly convinced that O'Neil will find his feet, improve, discover a successful system, start racking up the points? I don't, personally.

I think O'Neil is the kind of manager who looks at the Luton game and says it's a point gained rather than two lost, and unfortunately, that kind of attitude only ends one way as well. I fully agree that high expectations typically end in disappointment, and who needs that kind of stress, but there comes a time when your expectations sink so low that you accept everything. The club are charging an absolute fortune for fans to diligently turn up to endure sub-standard fare, where games against Man City are written off without a blink, where a point against Luton is precious, where scoring more than one goal in a game is considered progress, where selling £150m worth of players in a single summer is quietly applauded for its financial prudence, even though it cost us a proper manager and back room team.

Fosun have landed us in an abominable mess here. Gary O'Neil is not a Premier League manager, and the longer he's "given time" then the more likely it is that we won't be a Premier League club, and that's the reality we're being asked to accept - so I'm not surprised there are so many dissenting voices.
Whichever way you cut it Gary O’Neil is not, at this time, competent to manage in the Premier League. We all thought it before his appointment and his damp squib of a start to the season has confirmed it. Maybe one day he will be a good manager, but he isn’t now.

Matt Hobbs is a scout… maybe when you have JL calling all the shots you can get away with a bit of scouting and nothing else, but as soon as he disappears you are found out Big Time. Hobbs has been found out and he will almost definitely not get another job in football (other than scouting g after this season).

The root cause is Jeff Shi. That may or may not be heavily influenced by Fosun, but it’s Shi who has presided of a demoralising (unless you’re from Sandwell) omnishambles pretty much since Laurie left.

If it’s Fosun running the show then there is no hope at all until they have gone.

If it’s Shi, then there is hope. Deploy him as CEO of Cirque du Soleil or something, but get him out of here. Appoint someone competent and confident and let them sort out this mess at their own speed, changing some or all of the staff as they see fit.

I suspect though it’s Fosun - who else would veto a lick of paint on the stadium and doing some weeding when we are selling £100m of players?

I do care, I have loved Wolves since i could talk and they are a big part of my life - my only coping mechanism is to distance myself from the farce. Force myself not to go to games, not to watch on TV.

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Whichever way you cut it Gary O’Neil is not, at this time, competent to manage in the Premier League. We all thought it before his appointment and his damp squib of a start to the season has confirmed it. Maybe one day he will be a good manager, but he isn’t now.

Matt Hobbs is a scout… maybe when you have JL calling all the shots you can get away with a bit of scouting and nothing else, but as soon as he disappears you are found out Big Time. Hobbs has been found out and he will almost definitely not get another job in football (other than scouting g after this season).

The root cause is Jeff Shi. That may or may not be heavily influenced by Fosun, but it’s Shi who has presided of a demoralising (unless you’re from Sandwell) omnishambles pretty much since Laurie left.

If it’s Fosun running the show then there is no hope at all until they have gone.

If it’s Shi, then there is hope. Deploy him as CEO of Cirque du Soleil or something, but get him out of here. Appoint someone competent and confident and let them sort out this mess at their own speed, changing some or all of the staff as they see fit.

I suspect though it’s Fosun - who else would veto a lick of paint on the stadium and doing some weeding when we are selling £100m of players?

I do care, I have loved Wolves since i could talk and they are a big part of my life - my only coping mechanism is to distance myself from the farce. Force myself not to go to games, not to watch on TV.
To be fair, it’s because of Fosun we are a PL team. It’s also not their fault that the money has been poorly invested. However, I do agree that they have employed the wrong people and with Shi in charge seem stubbornly opposed to a decent management structure. Perhaps they’ve run their course and are looking to sell. Remaining in the PL with healthy accounts will be a lot more appealing than Championship football.

loppers86

Reaction score
To be fair, it’s because of Fosun we are a PL team. It’s also not their fault that the money has been poorly invested. However, I do agree that they have employed the wrong people and with Shi in charge seem stubbornly opposed to a decent management structure. Perhaps they’ve run their course and are looking to sell. Remaining in the PL with healthy accounts will be a lot more appealing than Championship football.
That’s fair comment. i agree that we wouldn’t be where we are today if it weren’t for Fosun.

I think it’s also fair to say that while they had a fantastic start to their ownership, ever since Jeff assumed the role of Dictator, things have been a right mess.

The Lopetegui affair was unbelievable madness and by handing over to Hobbs and now O’Neill they have ensured things are going to get even worse and very quickly.

I think their time has gone now, the sooner they clear off the better, or otherwise the good times will be soured by what’s happening now.

Wolf616

Groupie
Reaction score
Feel like I've missed something - why is Hobbs getting flack? For appointing GON? We were all queuing up to **** him off ten minutes after the transfer deadline

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There never was and there never will be any comparison between GON and Lopetegui. Lopetegui got 1.34 points per game, which would get us 50 points if extrapolated over a full season. GON is currently on 0.66 PPG which would be 25 points over the season. I have seen little to suggest we are on course for better than that.

The difference between the two on paper and in games is night and day. We had a, verging on, elite manager. And now we have Gary O'****ting Neil.
Not only is he an inferior coach, but he has a weaker, less experienced team to work with. Don't get me wrong, I want him gone, but it's not his fault. This mess is all down to Fosun and that ****er Shi.

Pengwern

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The players enjoy his training and two or three Have come out to praise his tactics

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That’s fair comment. i agree that we wouldn’t be where we are today if it weren’t for Fosun.

I think it’s also fair to say that while they had a fantastic start to their ownership, ever since Jeff assumed the role of Dictator, things have been a right mess.

The Lopetegui affair was unbelievable madness and by handing over to Hobbs and now O’Neill they have ensured things are going to get even worse and very quickly.

I think their time has gone now, the sooner they clear off the better, or otherwise the good times will be soured by what’s happening now.
It does seem that since Dalrymple left things have slowly gone down hill. We had all hoped Lopetegui’s appointment was a timely arrest of the decline but, sadly, this turned out to the opposite.

Clifton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It does seem that since Dalrymple left things have slowly gone down hill. We had all hoped Lopetegui’s appointment was a timely arrest of the decline but, sadly, this turned out to the opposite.

100% got worse since Dalrymple left. He engaged with the fans, listened to what we wanted and would try and deliver against that. He spoke with confidence and I think we all trusted what he said. He seemed decent and down to earth, not like a slimy car salesman that we have seen since.

I would love to know the reasons Laurie suddenly left under such a cloud.

Woburn Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Disorganised. Neto rw, then lw, 4 at the back then 5 at the back. Players did not seem to know exactly what there role was. And this was before we went down to 10 men. We were being outplayed and out fought by Luton. Neto on his own up top after Cunha went off signalling GON was happy with the point. We could watch a GON side all season and I'm not sure we'll ever know what he sets out to do and what his plan is. Neto alone will not save him.
Neto will want out in January if this clown is still in charge.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The players enjoy his training and two or three Have come out to praise his tactics
How many elite top 6 coaches praised adama and said how amazing he was.

how many bought him? None

Where did he end up when available for free? Fulham………

Press interviews are not always the honest thoughts of those interviewed, especially players on their manager…… come on now, who is going to publicly even slightly criticise their gaffer? No one as they won’t play again lol

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not really.
Personally I’m pretty sure we’d have sold him either way for the deal we ended up with.
He was going regardless of the strike, I have been reliably told by 5 different people who are well in the know on this deal.

Didn’t need to strike in the slightest

ombyman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not really.
Personally I’m pretty sure we’d have sold him either way for the deal we ended up with.
Pep starting Nunes sends a message to Neto that you wont necessarily rot on a big teams bench, just in case he had a bit of doubt. Now he can be thinking that he will start for any of the big boys if pushes for a Jan move

yateleywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The fans unanimously didn’t want his appointment, that sentiment has only got stronger after 6 games and will start to filter into the stands before game 10. He will be gone by game 14. We won’t get lucky like we did with JL this time though.
All down to results Clifton in football . If they play poor and lose games than he's gone. Personally JL was given the benefit of the doubt at times which GON would be slaughtered for. Losing 1 nil vs Bournemouth I don't remember anyone demanding JLo's head at the time. Saw wolves fans walking out the ground vs Brighton away at HT losing 6 nil. Fans brought into him and let things go.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If anything, the club peddles more of this bilge the poorer the manager is.....we are now getting near daily player interviews.....which says it all
And two club shop sales and one week of free names and numbers…… and we are only 6 game weeks in so 50% of the time we have had a sale or an offer on merch too…..

It is quite funny really

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If GON does go I think we should look at Urs Fischer from Union Berlin who has gone under the radar considering what he has achieved for them.
Problem with that very good call is it would require effort and cash neither of which Fosun are willing to expend. I’m also unsure whether Urs would be willing to become a UK citizen to satisfy Hobbs’ obsession with English coaches.

StaffordWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Problem with that very good call is it would require effort and cash neither of which Fosun are willing to expend. I’m also unsure whether Urs would be willing to become a UK citizen to satisfy Hobbs’ obsession with English coaches.
He could just turn up to his PowerPoint presentation in a top hat and monocle.

derbyrameater

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If he is as bad as some mixers are saying surely the players would want rid or want out, what better way than to criticize the manager, no sign of that

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we go down we’re down for years.

Not many of these players will cut the mustard in the Championship (ironically tougher than the PL in many ways), and all the best players could well be sold: Neto, Sa, Kilman, Gomes, maybe Lemina

I can’t picture us unearthing another Neves and Jota willing to come to the Championship, we’ve struggled to attract the same in the PL. Let alone a Boly, or even Bonatini’s goals up until December.

Any meaningful reset needs to happen in the PL next summer. We’re going to have to limp over the line this season, somehow. I just can’t see that happening with O’Neil in charge.

You're first comment is frightening, but we've seen it with the likes of Stoke City who enjoyed 10 years in the top flight.

Living locally, I had Radio Stoke's "Praise and Grumble" on after Hull City had beaten the Potters last Sunday.
Some Stoke supporter was suggesting they sack Alex Neil and replace him with Graham Potter.
I think that appointment, or indeed the mere fact of it happening to us is pie in the sky.

Sketchead

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You're first comment is frightening, but we've seen it with the likes of Stoke City who enjoyed 10 years in the top flight.

Living locally, I had Radio Stoke's "Praise and Grumble" on after Hull City had beaten the Potters last Sunday.
Some Stoke supporter was suggesting they sack Alex Neil and replace him with Graham Potter.
I think that appointment, or indeed the mere fact of it happening to us is pie in the sky.

Praise and Grumble is great content when Stoke have lost. Growing up in the area with quite a few Stoke-supporting mates, it's a sadistic thing to enjoy.

You're right though, they're just completely stale. Going nowhere up or down, years of terrible management from the top despite having loaded owners. Happens to a lot of clubs and could easily be us if we're not careful.

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Stoke is probably the club I think we’re most similar too.

Similar amount of time in the league and things started to turn stale, dodgy managerial appointments when they got rid of the manager who brought them success and they thought they needed to change styles to progress (sound familiar?).

Had a good cup run and a few top 10 place finishes and then faded.

When they went down everyone tipped them to bounce straight back…

I really see potential for the same to happen to us here.

Andywolf74

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

Similar amount of time in the league and things started to turn stale, dodgy managerial appointments when they got rid of the manager who brought them success and they thought they needed to change styles to progress (sound familiar?).

On the flip side, Brighton managed to move on from very dour and increasingly less successful football under Chris Hughton and to a lesser extent, Crystal Palace did similar with them now embarking on an eleventh consecutive season in the Premier League.
Both have achieved this whilst spending less than us, so proof it can be done but needs proper continuous future proof planning, something that Fosun either haven’t done or more likely made a pig’s ear of.

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I like to consider myself a glass half full person but do agree with a lot of what you say, unfortunately. Time of course will tell.

Off to Portman Road shortly; heaven knows what's in store us at IP1.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Is anyone still backing him?

I never wanted him, thought it was a risky appointment. We should have been moving heaven and earth to keep Lopetegui in my opinion, but here we are...

I was hopeful we would have enough about us to steer clear of the relegation battle and thought pre-emptive criticism was unfair.

I firmly believe his first ten games are not enough to judge him by and that the next ten games is where we'd really be able to judge his methods...

I'd include cup matches in that, so Villa will be game ten. We're unlikely to get anything from City, so anything less than progression in the cup and a point v Villa will leave me with no confidence his next ten games will be a success...

There are fewer and fewer green shoots after every game. Our best league performance was United, a match JL was preparing for for weeks, not GON.

GON's preparations have seen worrying displays v Brighton, Everton and Luton. We perhaps deserved something out of Palace and Liverpool on balance...

We are then, more or less exactly where we deserve to be. I'd argue we deserved a win at United and draws v Palace and Liverpool.

Given our fixture list I would expect more than a point a game at the halfway point. I'm not sure I trust GON to get that from what we've seen so far and I'm not sure we can gamble on him doing it...

Lose to Ipswich, City and Villa and he has to go in the international break for me. It's not asking much to avoid defeat in two of those matches is it?

thommo1984

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If he is as bad as some mixers are saying surely the players would want rid or want out, what better way than to criticize the manager, no sign of that
They're hardly going to say they want out when there's nowhere for them to go. Wait until the January transfer window is open and other clubs start sniffing around (god forbid GON is still here then)

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No chance he lasts till Christmas. If he does we'll be signing players for the championship not for O'Neil

Hobbs was keen to appoint Beale when we were bottom of the league and in a right mess, all based on a 13 game or so good run for QPR in the Championship. If Hobbs thought Beale would have kept us up then I doubt he will be able to see the writing on the wall regarding GON until it is too late.

Additionally, Talksport pundits are already discussing Luton and Sheff Utd as looking certs for a return to the Championship with Burnley having the better chance of staying up. So, regardless of how bad GON might be we may survive because these promoted teams turn out to be really bad.

I hope I'm wrong and that GON turns out to be an inspired appointment but the pessimist in me says that Hobbs is stuck on the track of a young British manager.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom