Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Gary O’Neil

T

TheConcourse

It will depend on results won't it.

But personally I'd like to see him maybe given to about Xmas at a minimum and if we're seeing no signs of improvement and we're in the relegation mix then review our options.

However, if we lose x number of matches in a row the pressure will obviously build.
It’s going to be a lot more challenging getting a manager in when we’re 20 games in and stuck in a dogfight with broken spirits.

Sorry John, you seem like a good bloke, but I’m utterly bewildered as to why Wolves would give him anything beyond City/Villa. Even then, based on what I watched yesterday, this season and his prior track record, that’s 9 games too long.

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I feel sorry for O.Neill up to a point. If we had got a draw at Man U and won at Luton and not been cheated by VAR etc people here would be a lot more relaxed and open to giving GON a chance. Having said that, a Premier League club needs a manager of deep experience and a proven track record. O'Neill should be managing a Championship or Div 1 team as part of his learning curve as a manager. He will do his best and give his all but the players have to respond and the better results have to start appearing sooner rather than later. Otherwise 2024 will see a new manager given a chance and another desperate panic to try and scramble out of the relegation places.

bod101

Admin & No.4
Reaction score
I have seen posted a couple of time gon hasn't moved to the area and still lives in Kent?

How much truth is in that statement?

Bryce

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I would’ve very surprised if he got the boot at all before Xmas
1 he was a budget choice and deliberately hired for that reason
2 Who would consider coming here knowing our cost cutting position?
3.we will have played 5 of the top 10 and 2 of the bottom 5 after next week. We drew and won against teams around us and were mugged off against Man United and unlucky against Liverpool.

Yesterday’s performance was rank but it was a hard fought point with 10 men

I still think Sasa up top with Neto and Heang wide, Cunha behind in a 4231 would work much better

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
3.we will have played 5 of the top 10 and 2 of the bottom 5 after next week. We drew and won against teams around us and were mugged off against Man United and unlucky against Liverpool.

I still think Sasa up top with Neto and Heang wide, Cunha behind in a 4231 would work much better
Fosun will have to rethink their attitude when we’re staring at relegation just like they had to do last season.

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have seen posted a couple of time gon hasn't moved to the area and still lives in Kent? How much truth is in that statement?
I certainly hope not, as that would hint at less than 100% commitment to the cause from GON. Lop had moved into his house in Tettenhall before Christmas and before his first match (albeit he had more prep time owing to the Winter World Cup), and right away he looking to absorb as much of the DNA and history of Wolves as he could. That eagerness to integrate probably played a role in our excellent start under JL, only losing once in his first 7 matches. It's more difficult to hit the ground running if you're not integrated into the community and are commuting from afar IMO. Kent to Wolverhampton and back is a brutal round trip, it must take its toll.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Looking at the fixtures I'd give him up to the Spurs home game, which is six more. After that up until the New Year we have quite a few more winnable fixtures and I'd rather give those to a new coach with fresh impetus and ideas (like Palace did when replacing Vieira with Hodgson) rather than someone potentially trying to hang on to his job. For me, we need to be clear of the bottom three and on at least a point a game by then for him to remain in his position

If a decent manager became available and was interested, I'd be getting them in sooner

Flaneur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Considering our financial worries, who on earth thought it would be a good idea to give GoN a 3-year deal?

We've just had to pay out a good chunk of Lopetegui's contract, and could be having to do the same in the near future with GoN at this rate.

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fosun will have to rethink their attitude when we’re staring at relegation just like they had to do last season.
If money magically becomes available in January after not backing Lop in the summer then it will sum up just how badly lacking we are when it comes to a long term plan.

Why don't FOSUN sell if they no longer have interest in investing, makes no sense to keep hold of an asset that can only depreciate in value from this point.

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Considering our financial worries, who on earth thought it would be a good idea to give GoN a 3-year deal?

We've just had to pay out a good chunk of Lopetegui's contract, and could be having to do the same in the near future with GoN at this rate.
Chelsea are the worst run club in the league but we're certainly up there. Can't think of any worse.

oldgoldheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't see what he's trying to do. That first half especially was simply appalling, even before the red card. It's blatantly obvious this isn't going to work
nathan judah summed it up on the video. clueless, constantly changing, players unsure where to play, notes being passed round. laughing stock

oldgoldheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s going to be a lot more challenging getting a manager in when we’re 20 games in and stuck in a dogfight with broken spirits.

Sorry John, you seem like a good bloke, but I’m utterly bewildered as to why Wolves would give him anything beyond City/Villa. Even then, based on what I watched yesterday, this season and his prior track record, that’s 9 games too long.
100% agree. we will be on 4 points from 9 games almost certainly. so we have a 29 game season to get another 34 points. the only positive is none of the promoted sides have won yet. but they will eventually, or at least one of them will.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
100% agree. we will be on 4 points from 9 games almost certainly. so we have a 29 game season to get another 34 points. the only positive is none of the promoted sides have won yet. but they will eventually, or at least one of them will.
From a Europa league quarter final to hoping there’s three team worse. Disgraceful and heads should roll.

oldgoldheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

did you go? the MOTD highlights dont show the extent of Lutons dominance. defensively we were a shambles and rode our luck. it could have been 2 or even 4 by half time. they played us off the park. there is no structure, no plan and no confidence. god i long for the much maligned Coady next to Boly and Saiss. all the moaners gor their wish, same with slow Neves and crap Moutinho but compared to what i saw yesterday they were rolls royces compared to trabants on show at luton

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
nathan judah summed it up on the video. clueless, constantly changing, players unsure where to play, notes being passed round. laughing stock

Available managers

Would Conte come here? Or could we afford him?

Jesse Marsch?
Celades?

Hansi Flick we can dream he would transform us

Westbakejazz

Reaction score
Good, hungry young manager.

Stopped the mini rot today and now we've got two premier league games against top half teams where the pressure will be more on them than us.

We have good players - it was always likely to take a bit of time for GON to get the maximum out of them. He will in time.
Hi John I’m struggling with your post, are you taking the p*** out of Gon , or do you genuinely believe in him.

oldgoldheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
on transfers we always have an ITK or two. does anyone have even a sniff that GON is under pressure?

Vtrpres

Groupie
Reaction score
Who would come to Molineux to take on Wolves no hopers?
Alladice, Warnock? My God! What a state to get to.
There is no fire or fight in this club. Oh! No positive leadership either. Be a good bet to say Sheffield U will take points against Wolves.

Agent Cooper

Reaction score
As much as I'd love him gone, realistically he'll get a few more games (the powers that be should be working on the contingency plan to replace him in the meantime though). He won't get anywhere near JL's home record of last season, so the next two away games against Sheff U and Bournemouth are massive 6 pointers.

NavyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I certainly hope not, as that would hint at less than 100% commitment to the cause from GON. Lop had moved into his house in Tettenhall before Christmas and before his first match (albeit he had more prep time owing to the Winter World Cup), and right away he looking to absorb as much of the DNA and history of Wolves as he could. That eagerness to integrate probably played a role in our excellent start under JL, only losing once in his first 7 matches. It's more difficult to hit the ground running if you're not integrated into the community and are commuting from afar IMO. Kent to Wolverhampton and back is a brutal round trip, it must take its toll.
Surely theres no way hes commuting that everyday?! He's gotta be staying up in Wolverhampton and maybe going home on a Saturday eve?

oldgolded

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I did notice the difference in the body language between the two managers as they came out onto the pitch on Saturday. Edwards was striding out confidently and purposefully, whereas Gary was slouching out with his hands in his pockets and his shoulders hunched. He is beginning to acquire that haunted look that I have observed in many Wolves managers over the years once they have been here for a while.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Short goal kicks, 1-2, then lump it

Why?????? Now We're sat deep with no upside.

Is it because we saw other teams do it.

Luton got rid of Saunders. Are they going to get rid of O'Neil?
Re your penultimate sentence l assume that you mean Solbakken not Clownders. The latter completed getting us relegated that season...

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
4 points out of 9 in the bottom half mini league we are playing in. It's not good to watch, but if it keeps us up and gives time to build around the young squad it's enough.
Except you know very well that any youngsters who look good will promptly be sold.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A better manager (Lopetegui) did get a better tune out of them. Sure we've sold players since then, but only Neves was a proper starter.

In all honesty, I lie the blame squarely at Matt Hobbs for this. He seems to get a lot of praise, but I'm not sure what for. This is the same man who wanted Michael Beale and allegedly had full control over the appointment of GON. His insistence on a young English manager instantly makes our talent pool massively smaller. I couldn't care less what nationality they are, as long as they can di the job well. I have no doubt that if we sack GON soon, Rob Edwards will be the replacement. Either way, we are screwed.
Re your first para also Nunes.

Back
Top Bottom