Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Gary O’Neil

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
saturday is a massive relegation 6 pointer. a must not lose game

Agree. We said the same about Everton just 3 games in.

To be fair to Gary O'Neill, his Bournemouth side lost 21 games last season, but only lost 3 of those to sides that finished below them.

Of our 19 defeats, 6 came to sides below us.

We're not used to beating the sides we should do, but this season might see that happen.

Win on Saturday and I'll be a lot more confident that we will beat the teams we need to beat to stay up.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I
A big factor in this is squad strength too.

Losing Ait Nouri, Bellegarde, Cunha and Lemina to injury or fatigue at the weekend had a big impact on our performance levels.

We can't afford that big dip in output against the better sides, but the players simply can't sustain the levels of the first half for 90 mins.

The better teams don't drop off as much when substitutions are made.

3 of the teams we've lost to are in the top 8. The other is Man Utd. We need to concentrate on beating the Lutons, Evertons, Sheffiled Uniteds and Burnleys.
but so much of his issue comes down to poor game management.

If the lads aren’t fit enough to play that high intensity for 60-90 mins with a weaker subs bench than the opposition, then why on earth go balls to the wall intensity for the first 45??? That means the lads will be dead on their feet towards the end and the other teams will just take over and run the game as we will just sit deeper and deeper.

It isn’t difficult, so it is scary that GO cannot understand that!!! He needs to keep the best players on the pitch for longer not run them dead as the replacements aren half as good, so the drop off is massive right now.

Let’s see if he has learned his lesson, this weekend, but from the same repeated and his clear inability to accept responsibility I doubt it. Unless he can blame JL and the players for it…… but he will find a way to do that as he has in every press conference and interview so far…..

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Losing Ait Nouri, Bellegarde, Cunha and Lemina to injury or fatigue at the weekend had a big impact on our performance levels.

We can't afford that big dip in output against the better sides, but the players simply can't sustain the levels of the first half for 90 mins.

3 of the teams we've lost to are in the top 8. The other is Man Utd. We need to concentrate on beating the Lutons, Evertons, Sheffiled Uniteds and Burnleys.
If the game plan is to rely and focus on those teams listed that is a scary tactic…. As i guarentee at some point one/two of the less fancied teams upset the big boys to get “bonus point.” Plus they will be targeting us, so we aren’t going to get all of these games our own way and take easy points.

GO spoke like we were lucky to just be on the field with Liverpool as their squad had strength in depth…..

You gotta go out to try and get something from every game.

We should have targeted palace too, that was a winnable game and look at what happened there…….

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
but so much of his issue comes down to poor game management.

If the lads aren’t fit enough to play that high intensity for 60-90 mins with a weaker subs bench than the opposition, then why on earth go balls to the wall intensity for the first 45??? That means the lads will be dead on their feet towards the end and the other teams will just take over and run the game as we will just sit deeper and deeper.

It isn’t difficult, so it is scary that GO cannot understand that!!! He needs to keep the best players on the pitch for longer not run them dead as the replacements aren half as good, so the drop off is massive right now.

Let’s see if he has learned his lesson, this weekend, but from the same repeated and his clear inability to accept responsibility I doubt it. Unless he can blame JL and the players for it…… but he will find a way to do that as he has in every press conference and interview so far…..

Two schools of thought on this one.

You go for it and try and give yourself a chance, or you play within your limitations and accept that you're going to get beat, or that the most you are ever going to get out of the game is a lucky 0-0.

We could/should have been 2-0 up at half time against Liverpool. Had we been 2-0, or 2-1 up, Sa probably doesn't make the terrible decision he makes before their second goal and we have a great chance of at least a point from that game.

The flip side is Everton. They were never going to win against Arsenal. They were sitting ducks from the first whistle to the last. Yes, they only lost 1-0, but they never had a chance of winning it.

I've got no problem going balls-out against the bigger sides, as long as we can put the smaller sides to bed!

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I did find it amusing that O'Neil dismissed our players as nowhere near the quality of Liverpool during the post-match press conference. Lopetegui's words were far, far less damning but some on here had him hung, drawn and quartered for supposedly 'damaging the morale of the players who are already here' and yet the apologists obviously won't acknowledge this because Julen is the antichrist and some would sooner go down than admit he was right and truth be told was too good for us

Will Wolf

Groupie
Reaction score
He continues to speak as if he inherited a poorly coached, unprepared, unfit group from the previous guy (who he shalt not name) when the opposite is true. Lop had us looking a very fit and well prepared outfit in pre-season and this was shown at Old Trafford where we should have won the game and looked every bit a Premier League side, just a few days after Lop had departed and O'Neil had had only a couple of sessions of running around blowing his whistle.

As each week passes the setup is looking worse and we are shipping goals for fun yet he keeps speaking of his vision as if he's some kind of managerial guru.

He was a dreadful appointment and nobody, even his staunch defenders, could have thought it was a good idea when first rumoured.

No other club in the Premier League would have appointed O'Neil and neither should we.

We are in just as bad, if not worse position as we were this time last with Lage only this year we won't have someone of Lop's calibre or the World Cup break to save us. We're relying on Luton, Sheffield United, Burnley and Everton to be worse and after 6 years in the PL, millions of pounds spent and having experienced Europe that shouldn't be where we are now. Terrible decisions by Fosun beginning with the Nuno debacle.

I’m still shocked we appointed a manager less experienced than Lage.

Can only assume it was through desperation of needing a manager asap.

Might have been better off with an interim for the first couple of games and use the time to headhunt a new manager.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m still shocked we appointed a manager less experienced than Lage.

Can only assume it was through desperation of needing a manager asap.

Might have been better off with an interim for the first couple of games and use the time to headhunt a new manager.

The biggest shock for me was the 3 year deal.

Rolling one year would be the norm for an appointment of that kind.

That way, if another candidate does become available, it's easy and cheaper to get rid and replace.

Although that said, there won't be much difference between a 1 year and 3 year settlement, he's that cheap!!

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You are saying he was justified leaving, because he couldn't get the money for transfers he wanted. I am saying could you imagine Sir Bobby Robson doing that and saying an Elite manager and someone who puts the club before his own ego, does well with what he has and doesn't orchestrate his own removal.

Read this and then tell me what an elite manager and a gentleman is.

I take your point re Bobby Robson, but that was in another era and things have moved on dramatically since then.

Today's players, coaches agents and the rest live in a greedy, shook up world where there's stacks of money to be made (we've seen it with our own club).
I'm afraid the days of the likes of Bobby Robson are long gone, sadly.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

It’s why the likes of Klop were so keen to force the idea of 5 subs from a 9 man bench.
I think it makes a far bigger impact to the game than people realise.

bod101

Admin & No.4
Reaction score
I did find it amusing that O'Neil dismissed our players as nowhere near the quality of Liverpool during the post-match press conference. Lopetegui's words were far, far less damning but some on here had him hung, drawn and quartered for supposedly 'damaging the morale of the players who are already here' and yet the apologists obviously won't acknowledge this because Julen is the antichrist and some would sooner go down than admit he was right and truth be told was too good for us
I agree that Gon's words were dreadful post match and have said so. But i also have no time for Lop either.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I agree that Gon's words were dreadful post match and have said so. But i also have no time for Lop either.
JL tried to get himself sacked with those interviews

Fair play he rocked the boat they promised him what he couldn’t have on a lengthy deal. So let’s get this right Nuno, JL & Lage was all promised things that never materialised.

Any wonder how we’ve ended up with Garry in charge? He’s a cheap option. And not a very good one.

The way he is throwing others under the bus is not going to end well. I dread what Saturday is going to bring. I can’t watch

In reality we fluked a win at Everton, which is the only reason we aren’t bottom of the league.

HOBBS & SHI WAKEY WAKEY EGGS AND BACY

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So this is first time since buying the club that Fosun has handed over the responsibility for finding and hiring a new manager.
So how will this make Hobbs look if he has to sack him again 8-10 games into the season?
Would Fosun trust him with this sort of appointment again? Would they even keep him on board?
So no matter how bad it gets, I believe Hobbs will defend GON and try to avoid him getting sacked.

SmokeyGB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Win against Luton is just like sticking a plaster against a leaking dam..
It will break and when it does, it'll be a mess (for Wolves).

GON is not the Manager/Coach we need at the current time, problem is who is??

Beale from Rangers ?? That might be a possibility given how well loved he is with Hobbs .

Hass old Saints Manager, not inspiring confidence really given a few 0-9 beatings.

Do we chance a new guy from abroad with the hope of hitting the ground running without a World Cup break?

Fosun I don't think personally realise how much of a risk the management / coaching staff change or appointment is.

Hoping that a with 8 games gone they can pull the rabbit out of the bag and save them £££££ , got a feeling the rabbit is more a mouse and it really is squeaky bum time..
I just hope 17th place is enough for this season and a scare for them.

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The appointment of O'Neil is looking quite reminiscent of Paolo Di Canio at Sunderland.

Except Di Canio's record to keep them up was more impressive.

Can't believe all the comments about Lopetegui supposedly digging the players out. With a far better record, Lopetegui blamed himself for practically every defeat.

The chasm between him and O'Neal is Grand Canyon-esque

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Has one single person on here said that JL wasn’t too good for us?

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
realistically we want to stay up you keep beating the others who are strugglnig

We have done it with everton

So it nows

Luton - Win (must)
City - Loss
Villa - Draw?
Bournemouth? Draw/win
Newcaslte - loss
Sheffield united - win

he must beat the teams around us

I will judge him after sheffield united thats 11 games - minimum points needed i would say is 11 but id hope we we are at 12/13

Lage was 9 points after 11

If the above comes to fruition we are on

11 after 11 thats a point per game - its not good enough.. long term but 1ppg gets us 38 and 17th

Last edited:

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The truth is that there is nobody exciting available and realistic who jumps out as an obvious replacement.

Again, I stress that I want GON to be a success here and actually feel sorry for him with the stick he’s getting (it should be aimed at the people who ensured our season started in the worst way possible off the field) but we could conceivably go in to the next international break with 3 more losses and 3 points total. I expect us to beat Luton but Charity FC loves to pop up at the perfect time for struggling clubs and I’m not so sure we can expect to beat Villa at home any more like previous years. I wonder whether his job is going to be under serious threat as early as November.

Polish Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I hate his interviews, he does not inspire me with confidence. Nuno may have talked the same phrases week in, week out but he still oozed charisma. JL struggled with his English but had an obvious aura of a serious boss.

Lage was anxious and awkward but GON is even worse. He looks massively out of his depth. He gives an aura of a PE teacher talking about his U-11 side.

Last edited:

StaffordWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The best we can hope for from him is that he keeps us up and grows into the role. Then hopefully kicks on next season.

Ultimately though, the best case scenario is that the owners get serious about appointing a proper manager. If they stick with O'Neil in the hope he comes good then we are in for a long and difficult season.

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Villa will be our 8th game and if we get beat at Luton and don`t get anything at home to Villa, then i think he`ll be gone.
I don’t think so. I think he gets until at least post November international break or longer if there are 3 or 4 teams below us.

GON is Hobbs choice and Hobbs will not want to admit defeat so quickly.

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Agree. We said the same about Everton just 3 games in.

To be fair to Gary O'Neill, his Bournemouth side lost 21 games last season, but only lost 3 of those to sides that finished below them.

Of our 19 defeats, 6 came to sides below us.

We're not used to beating the sides we should do, but this season might see that happen.

Win on Saturday and I'll be a lot more confident that we will beat the teams we need to beat to stay up.
I think if we can beat teams around us and pick up points elsewhere GON will be here next season.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
If Hobbs' ego costs this club dearly then his ass should be booted out too.
Can't really work it out. I mean I got the impression Lopetegui was happy with him, he seems to be good at looking at South American options. Is it his idea that we really need an English coach, or is it another one of those things where the club says 'young and hungry' when what they actually mean is cheap?

As far as I can see, since he became Sporting Director, the money has been spent much more wisely (only Cunha where we maybe overpaid). Great value signings and good fees for outgoing players. Just the manager decision which is baffling (sadly of course also the most important).

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don’t think so. I think he gets until at least post November international break or longer if there are 3 or 4 teams below us.

GON is Hobbs choice and Hobbs will not want to admit defeat so quickly.

Yeah, agreed. Also in the context of this season, Jeff has pretty much already alluded to 17th being the target (i.e. survival). As long as we are 17th or above, GON will be on track to hit that target!

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yeah, agreed. Also in the context of this season, Jeff has pretty much already alluded to 17th being the target (i.e. survival). As long as we are 17th or above, GON will be on track to hit that target!
It’s a sad reality but I guess it’s better than a return to the Championship.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's so depressing having to constantly worry about relegation when on paper our squad is top half worthy with the right manager. Just a shame that the right manager wasn't backed and every other manager after nuno has failed to get a tune out of the talent in this squad
Wish JL at least had an opportunity with bellegarde,silva,sasa gonsales etc.

Some good players

Pengwern

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We are in the middle of a difficult start to the season regarding the fixtures & GON had just a few days with our players before the season started + no time with the loads who were on international duty, so he will need some weeks to get his ideas fully implemented by the squad, so give him a break.

Getting famous names into the managerial seat is pointless, given Fosun's financial situation and wish to see us self-sustainable, which is what Brighton are doing so well.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We are in the middle of a difficult start to the season regarding the fixtures & GON had just a few days with our players before the season started + no time with the loads who were on international duty, so he will need some weeks to get his ideas fully implemented by the squad, so give him a break.

Getting famous names into the managerial seat is pointless, given Fosun's financial situation and wish to see us self-sustainable, which is what Brighton are doing so well.
Brighton wouldn't have touched GON with a bargepole.

loppers86

Reaction score
It’s a sad reality but I guess it’s better than a return to the Championship.
i’m not sure i agree with that.

i have enjoyed almost all championship years more than the premier league ones (nuno excepted of course).

I dont exactly care whether we win stuff, but i like to be competitive rather a ‘dead man walking club’ with zero ambition.

I agree Fosun gave us some fantastic times but that was more by luck than judgement and i guess we are at the start of some mind-numbingly tedious time where only 8 games a season matter and we
get relegated anyway.

Back
Top Bottom