Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Fans behaviour.

Mutchy

Administrator
Reaction score
Focus on football, not politics, please.

Kebab Warrior

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd say centre- right wing in it's culture wars and centre right in it's economics looking at how it treats things like Grenfell, letting the market forces get on with it.
But I don't blame the government for fan behaviour, however bad they are ATM.
Think it's got a lot to do with coke, pent up years of doing nothing, and like people above have said, a lot of young people have got nothing to lose with a tough future so football and football violence is pure escapism.
Add in the ridiculous glamorisation of the 80s hooligan movement and suddenly it all looks cool.

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Has anyone seen the video of the Leicester fans attacking a pub in Nottingham. They were trying to break the windows with outside seating while the staff tried to protect their property. As one who remembers when many city centres were no go areas on match days, I really hope those days are not returning.

TFWanderers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Has anyone seen the video of the Leicester fans attacking a pub in Nottingham. They were trying to break the windows with outside seating while the staff tried to protect their property. As one who remembers when many city centres were no go areas on match days, I really hope those days are not returning.
I've seen it and also seen the police doing very little to disperse them.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Unfortunately it mirrors society at the moment, it’s unravelled a bit since covid and generally people have more of a “do what I want” attitude.

The authorities need to crack down on it, these idiots need proper sentencing as a deterrent to others.
This 100%.

A lifetime ban is only effective if every single steward knows his face or the grounds have facial recognition. All the banned fans need to do is get somebody else to get tickets for them and then not draw attention to themselves.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This 100%.

A lifetime ban is only effective if every single steward knows his face or the grounds have facial recognition. All the banned fans need to do is get somebody else to get tickets for them and then not draw attention to themselves.
I (sort of) know a guy who got banned from molineux 10-15 years ago and regularly see him walking round the concourse of the south bank. I don’t think they check people at all

Reactions: Ned

topcat99

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Where there any “local” issues Frank?

I don’t mean the obvious, but stuff like two crew of lads Haven’t met for years and winding each other online?

The Finkler

Reaction score
Thought the same for ages. Celebrate with your own supporters, fine - celebrate in front of (ie, antagonise) opposing supporters and get a yellow.

Got to be honest I understand the sentiment but I disagree slightly with this. I think a player on the pitch should be able to celebrate ( as long as on the pitch itself) however they like - obviously as long as not directing abuse themselves towards the crowd (then it's a yellow or red depending on the act).

The fact certain "fans" can't control themselves from throwing stuff, or even themselves, towards the pitch is the real issue.

Yes it's annoying frustrating and can even make you angry at times and I've felt it but never have I thought - Oh I know I'm going to launch a coin, bottle, my fist at their faces. Its total madness and its these minority of individuals that need to be dealt with appropriately to ensure the punishment leads to people less likely to do it rather than think well I might as well to be infamous for 15 minutes.

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Where there any “local” issues Frank?

I don’t mean the obvious, but stuff like two crew of lads Haven’t met for years and winding each other online?

There is no love lost between the two clubs, and there was a fair bit of online banter. I don't think they had played each other for 7/8 years, and that plus it being a local derby certainly added to the pre match build up.

The trouble in Nottingham city centre was not between rival fans, it was Leicester fans vandalising pubs and trying to pick fights with local people who were just out for a Sunday lunchtime drink. I really thought those days had gone.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There is no love lost between the two clubs, and there was a fair bit of online banter. I don't think they had played each other for 7/8 years, and that plus it being a local derby certainly added to the pre match build up.

The trouble in Nottingham city centre was not between rival fans, it was Leicester fans vandalising pubs and trying to pick fights with local people who were just out for a Sunday lunchtime drink. I really thought those days had gone.
Unless you've seen more than me it was a video of a few Leicester fans throwing chairs at a pub. Not on but do you not think it would be a lot worse if we played Birmingham?

And, why do you think these things have gone away? Wolves fans had trouble in Porto throwing things about. The Watford incident. We had trouble with Birmingham and Man City off the top of my head in terms of throwing things at players (Davis & Sterling).

So not at all disputing with your point in how it's wrong but I'm not sure it's worse now than before. Perhaps not going for a few years made people forget how it was?

Axle

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No discipline from a young age at home, no discipline at schools, parents who dont give a ****, broken families, warring families, etc etc , I know Im from the older generation growing up in the 60s, but I would never have spoken to my parents/teachers/peers the way I hear some kids of today, I have no idea what the answer is, but society of today is broken, so sad
Yet the 70s and the 80s were some of the worst for hooliganism?

As many in this thread have said, social gatherings are a mirror of society. It's pretty divided at the moment and Rogers got it spot on with his take on the 'supporter' who ran onto the pitch.

Football is probably more than a pastime for many, but it's not more important than life (or death) in deference to the great Liverpool manager.

R

reanswolf

No discipline from a young age at home, no discipline at schools, parents who dont give a ****, broken families, warring families, etc etc , I know Im from the older generation growing up in the 60s, but I would never have spoken to my parents/teachers/peers the way I hear some kids of today, I have no idea what the answer is, but society of today is broken, so sad
See I see it the other way, at least to some degree. And I think we all look back through rose-tinted glasses at our past. Most young kids still respect their parents, but the behaviour at the grounds is way better than it once was - there is way less violence than there was in the 1970s for instance. Young people, by and large, and far more respectful than they once were. Why we even stop the bloody match all the time now when someone in the crowd has an issue.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Coke and Wetherspoons at 7am in the morning......is the main reason.....the rest is all football hormones.....and we all see more of these incidents because of mobile phone footage ...you didn't see most of what happen in the older days....it's definitely not worse....in my time following us since the mid 70s our support home n away has never behaved better.....

Last edited:

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Unless you've seen more than me it was a video of a few Leicester fans throwing chairs at a pub. Not on but do you not think it would be a lot worse if we played Birmingham?

And, why do you think these things have gone away? Wolves fans had trouble in Porto throwing things about. The Watford incident. We had trouble with Birmingham and Man City off the top of my head in terms of throwing things at players (Davis & Sterling).

So not at all disputing with your point in how it's wrong but I'm not sure it's worse now than before. Perhaps not going for a few years made people forget how it was?

There was trouble outside two pubs plus general disorder in the city centre. But I must apologise as I mentioned problems outside the grounds when my original point was the current trend for running onto pitches.

How do the clubs stop people running onto the pitch? I wish I knew the answer as I fear there will be a serious injury if this is not stopped.

TooMutchBull

Reaction score
  • End segregation and the home/away pub concept. Let the fans mingle sooner to take the edge off and self regulate, treat us like animals and we're inclined to act like that. Some of those SL1 kids would be sucking their thumbs throughout rather than giving it the big un behind a wall of coppers.
  • Strengthen the authority of the stewards (we've got some really nice stewards but I wouldn't follow them in to battle - soft as ****)
  • Maybe incorporate an inflatable mout around the edge of the pitch to avoid encroachment without needing fencing. In the event of an emergency you could pull the plug to allow people to get on.
We all have to take responsibility and not turn a blind eye to or encourage our own knuckledraggers. I do think that social media is dramatising some of this though. It really isn't THAT bad.

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

If this is accurate it's pretty embarrassing stuff from some of ours. Especially in the context of there being no trouble against rougher fan bases (West Ham, Man Utd, Leeds etc.) - pure bully boy behaviour.

On the OP, it's no better or worse now than it's been for 15 odd years, and it was worse in the 90s. The only worrying issue is the one-man army style attacks on players, completely beyond the pale. Iirc the Leeds fan who did the same at Hillsborough years ago got a prison sentence: do that and publicise it and the problem goes away, coke or no coke.

AndyWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

If this is accurate it's pretty embarrassing stuff from some of ours. Especially in the context of there being no trouble against rougher fan bases (West Ham, Man Utd, Leeds etc.) - pure bully boy behaviour.

On the OP, it's no better or worse now than it's been for 15 odd years, and it was worse in the 90s. The only worrying issue is the one-man army style attacks on players, completely beyond the pale. Iirc the Leeds fan who did the same at Hillsborough years ago got a prison sentence: do that and publicise it and the problem goes away, coke or no coke.
Pretty sure that's garbage, no gardens anywhere near.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Pretty sure that's garbage, no gardens anywhere near.
That was my initial reaction, but it says 'gardens and fences' which could be gardens as in around St Peter's and those fences rather than 'garden fences'.

No idea if true obviously, but coming away from Old Trafford there was a bit of a heated row between a couple of home fans and some Wolves fans. Older Man U guy was trying to calm the young one down, but he said he'd been stabbed in the backside in the underpass at their away game.

Mutchy

Administrator
Reaction score
That was my initial reaction, but it says 'gardens and fences' which could be gardens as in around St Peter's and those fences rather than 'garden fences'.

No idea if true obviously, but coming away from Old Trafford there was a bit of a heated row between a couple of home fans and some Wolves fans. Older Man U guy was trying to calm the young one down, but he said he'd been stabbed in the backside in the underpass at their away game.
I hope his underpass was okay!

Jawwfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Like any clubs we have a degree of idiots.... seems to be worse at Cup Games, is it because this is the only time some of these idiots can get tickets?

I remember when we played Rotherham at home when we got promoted from league 1, we had a number of idiots who ran onto the pitch because other teams had run onto the pitch the week before.... the club then gave one of the fans on the pitch a fan of the season award. I remember stood on the southbank with chants of "where were you when we were ****". I don't think the players even got a lap of honour that day.

I just don't see the point of pitch invasions.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sign of the times. We've become a much more coarse and violent society, whether with words or deeds. I don't think it's specific to football, but football is a good barometer.

D

Deleted member (smith)

Some very good points made in this thread…It would be a shame to go backwards on the significant progress made over the last few years.

I had the misfortune to visit the old Den for a millwall v Brighton game in early 1970s ..days of skinheads and bovver boots.women and children did not go to football….violence was never far away,While this has improved tremendously over the years the culture of football fans all over is very different to cricket followers. Over the years I have been to many cricket grounds and opposing fans are always respectful…no insults threats or violence…bad banter is the most. However today respect and politeness are not valued and a tribal atmosphere exists at football ( as the banned words to the liquidator testify)

huge progress has been made in football over racism and xenophobia but there is still work to do.

DeWolfMan60

Reaction score
Of all the places, I was in the 'Billy Quiet' on Saturday. Went to the Gents at half time and there was a guy in there completely off his head on something. Singing, shouting at random people and punching the walls!! You expect this sort of thing in the South Bank but not in the Billy Quiet

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Hmm
This is an interesting development. The Norwich fans near us on the train to New St, who were chatting to London Wolves, seemed in good spirits and didn't mention any aggro... maybe those claims were bull****? I know having lived in Norwich and Great Yarmouth (is it the only ironically named town in England?) that they used to consider us Neanderthals so I wonder if this is a bit of sensationalist reporting? Or maybe the cameras didn't cover the areas it kicked off? Did anyone see anything?

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Teams need to beef up their security measures

To gain access to the pitch surely breaks risk assessment

KFordOriginal

Groupie
Reaction score
Let Police dogs loose on the rioters.
Or better still a couple of sniffer dogs on the concourse next home match.
There were two at Brighton outside the ground, I saw 4 or 5 lads throwing stuff in the bushes.
I also think cup matches gives every Tom , Dick & Harry a chance to get away tickets due to much bigger allocations.

Last edited:

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This is an interesting development. The Norwich fans near us on the train to New St, who were chatting to London Wolves, seemed in good spirits and didn't mention any aggro... maybe those claims were bull****? I know having lived in Norwich and Great Yarmouth (is it the only ironically named town in England?) that they used to consider us Neanderthals so I wonder if this is a bit of sensationalist reporting? Or maybe the cameras didn't cover the areas it kicked off? Did anyone see anything?
Inflammatory. You can see by my user name I lived and worked near Norwich for many years. In all those years never did I hear a Norfolk person disparaging the West Midlands and many people knew I was a proud Wolves fan. I would suggest people in Norfolk have no views one way or the other on the Midlands.

KFordOriginal

Groupie
Reaction score
  • End segregation and the home/away pub concept. Let the fans mingle sooner to take the edge off and self regulate, treat us like animals and we're inclined to act like that. Some of those SL1 kids would be sucking their thumbs throughout rather than giving it the big un behind a wall of coppers.
  • Strengthen the authority of the stewards (we've got some really nice stewards but I wouldn't follow them in to battle - soft as ****)
  • Maybe incorporate an inflatable mout around the edge of the pitch to avoid encroachment without needing fencing. In the event of an emergency you could pull the plug to allow people to get on.
We all have to take responsibility and not turn a blind eye to or encourage our own knuckledraggers. I do think that social media is dramatising some of this though. It really isn't THAT bad.
Can’t we make supporter pitch invaders into an additional sporting spectacle.
Similar to greyhound racing but using dobermans and pitch invader as the hare.
The thought of a rat ***** fan getting hunted down makes me smile, am I nuts

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom