Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Fan patience

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Finishing mid table this season will in no way define next season. We had a strategy in the summer that will build a team for the coming seasons, an unfortunate injury has meant we have had to play our record signing more/sooner than anticipated.

The strategy was correct, although circumstance has thrown that further forward than we all hoped. See how we are performing later in the season before writing the strategy off.

You can't say that it was correct or that it will get better.

You (and all of us) are HOPING it will be better. There's no guarantee it will. And, you certainly don't know it was correct.

Reactions: Ian

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We will end up somewhere between 6th and 11th. Likely 10-11th

Next season we will then bounce back and finish somewhere between 4th-7th.

Unfortunately, some people don’t understand that, despite best intentions, success in football is never going to be linear.
I wonder how you know that? I don't have patience; I'm 69. I've been pretty damn patient for 40 bloody years!

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So if this a transitional year, what next after the transitional year?
Where do people see us after the transition year? Why do we need to get worse to get better?

Wagstaffe Was Magic

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It doesn’t exist!!

It’s now or never ... these days! Which reminds me ...

Merry Christmas Elvis, wherever you are x

superwolves

Reaction score
So if this a transitional year, what next after the transitional year?
Where do people see us after the transition year? Why do we need to get worse to get better?
It's not about getting worse were actually on a higher points total at this stage of the season but you get what you pay for if your spending £20 million for players then that's what you get. Were not in the market to sign £50 million players so were hoping to maybe turn a promising youngster into one over time as that's the only way we can get that class of players if were not spending that money

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We are obviously going through a transitional period of looking to sign promising youngsters and through the top class coaching of Nuno and his staff develop them to take us to the next level. We cant compete with the clubs in the league spending 80 million on players so this system looks our best chance of competing with them long term. For this to work the club is reliant on a patient understanding fanbase who can accept this and see the bigger picture strategy. Hopefully with everyone pulling in the same direction they can get the time they require

Have the club actually said this is a transitional period? I cant remember them saying this. A big gamble to do this rather than build on what we had in my opinion. Runs the risk of us losing players every summer and the same transition excuse being used every season. Fosun want us to be a top six club. Is this the way to do it? I have my doubts.

superwolves

Reaction score
Have the club actually said this is a transitional period? I cant remember them saying this. A big gamble to do this rather than build on what we had in my opinion. Runs the risk of us losing players every summer and the same transition excuse being used every season. Fosun want us to be a top six club. Is this the way to do it? I have my doubts.
Can we become a top 6 club shopping in the price range we currently are? Chelsea who we play next have spent over £200 million on players this season and £70 million on a striker. The only way to get top class players if your not buying them is to try to develop them into that class of player

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can we become a top 6 club shopping in the price range we currently are? Chelsea who we play next have spent over £200 million on players this season and £70 million on a striker. The only way to get top class players if your not buying them is to try to develop them into that class of player

Then Fosun need to push the boat out if we want to become a regular top six club. If they dont we never will in my opinion.

superwolves

Reaction score
Then Fosun need to push the boat out if we want to become a regular top six club. If they dont we never will in my opinion.
They are trying to sign a few promising youngsters and hopefully turn as many as possible into a player capable of getting us into the top 6. This is where the fans need to play there part and have the patience to give them the best chance of succeeding

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They are trying to sign a few promising youngsters and hopefully turn as many as possible into a player capable of getting us into the top 6. This is where the fans need to play there part and have the patience to give them the best chance of succeeding

This approach is full of flaws and danger if this is the approach, in my opinion. We are already paying the price now for a squad that is too small and has too few options in several areas.

Ewok vs Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm all for patience, looking at the bigger picture, long term thinking but it's certainly not guaranteed that the grass is greener on the other side

R

reanswolf

I am not aware of them ever saying this.

Yes they are trying to evolve a different style but there is nothing saying they expect to drop to a lower position.

In fact, its far far harder to evolve once you decline on the pitch. Of course its hard for a club of our stature and income to stay amongst or near the top 6, they find it hard enough themselves. That is the reality.

I realy don't think people should seek some sort of comfort in that we are happy with a mid-table or bottom half transitional finish, as we are preparing for next season. It is very hard to reverse decline, best players sense decline and will often ask to be found what they perceive to be a progressive club.

Its very dangerous territory.

R

reanswolf

I understand the need for patience, I just wish it was as straightforward as that.

This division will chew you up and spit you out if your current team is not competitive enough. Nothing to do with fans.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We will end up somewhere between 6th and 11th. Likely 10-11th

Next season we will then bounce back and finish somewhere between 4th-7th.

Unfortunately, some people don’t understand that, despite best intentions, success in football is never going to be linear.
Agree. Look back at the 50s and it was never a consistent straight line even then.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Good grief...
whether fans do or do not have patience has no ......NONE......zero.....impact behind closed doors in every club.

Football is a business, not some place to indulge fans whims.

If any club is about to drop £20m on a player, the last thing they would think about is some fans are getting impatient.

Pagey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This approach is full of flaws and danger if this is the approach, in my opinion. We are already paying the price now for a squad that is too small and has too few options in several areas.
OK let's spunk 300million into players, which is another big gamble. We may/may not get into to 6 (Everton), then 18 months down the line the manager gets flack, leaves, sacked and a new manager comes in wanting to spend another 150 and so on.

It's all *******s, where do you think the cash will come from? If you can't see what the club are trying to do and demand instant success, then you may as well **** off and watch city/Liverpool.

NewarkWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And pushing the boat out of better players.... Maybe even a better manager????????

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
Considering how much they’ve already spent, what kind of figure are you talking about when you say “push the boat out?”

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Are fans impatient with youth or just unhappy with a defensive style ?
If we played like Leeds with young players there may be more patience.
Leeds??!! You're having a laugh. You'd be on here saying we're going down because we can’t defend

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's not about getting worse were actually on a higher points total at this stage of the season but you get what you pay for if your spending £20 million for players then that's what you get. Were not in the market to sign £50 million players so were hoping to maybe turn a promising youngster into one over time as that's the only way we can get that class of players if were not spending that money
A lot of fans keep using this 'stat' to justify their point. In fact, we are on a worse points tally against the same or similar opposition, which is the fairest way of comparing.

SU away - 0 points last season, 3 this = 3 difference.
MC home - 3 points last season, 0 this = -3
WHU away - 3 points last season, 0 this = -3
Fulham H - 3 points against Norwich last season, 3 this = 0
LU A - 3 points against Bournemouth last season, 3 this = 0
NU H - 1 point last season, 1 this = 0
CP H - 3 points last season, 3 this = 0
LC A - 1 point last season, 0 this = -1
S'ton H - 1 point last season, 1 this = 0
**** A - 1 point last season, 3 this = 2
L'pool A - 0 points last season, 0 this = 0
AV H - 3 points last season, 0 this = -3

I make that 5 points worse off than corresponding fixtures last season. And don't get me started about goal difference!!!!

R

reanswolf

Money can't be too much of a concern if we are prepared to 'gamble' on a £35m 18-year old for the future, rather than improve the 1st team.

Getting to the QF of a European competition and finishing 7th put Wolves as a club in the best shop window we will ever be in internationally.

I don't demand we are up there, I am not impatient (happy to wait to see if things click) as I understand it is very, very difficult, but I also feel that if you stagnate it becomes very hard to reverse. Football clubs are like cruise ships, very difficult to change trajectory. I just feel we have missed the best opportunity we might ever have been in, in recent years, to even go further.

Personally, I would rather have spent the £45m we have spent on a quality CM (maybe 2 of them at £20m each), and a back-up striker for £5m. You don't always have to spend big money to acquire quality.

I also don't think its much about transition either, its about players. It's a sad fact that one or two ageing players have found it hard to maintain a required premiership level so far, but sadly we saw this at the end of the last season, though it was a long hard slog for all of them. It's not what we did in the transfer window that has affected us, it is failure to address other key areas that is affecting us, in my view. Yes we miss Raul immensely, but come on, he looked a lost and frustrated figure most of the time, prior to the injury. He realised it more than anyone.

More and more people are beginning to acknowledge our areas of weakness (eg pundits on BT Sport syaing yesterday that not a single Wolves central midfielder has scored this season), others will remain in denial and call us negative ****ers.

Its all about opinion of course. I will stick to mine, not because I want to undermine anything or anyone, I would never boo anything or anyone at a game, but because it's what I see with my own eyes. I fully appreciate how lucky we are and how well we have done over the past 3 years. No one needs to tell me. I desperately want Nuno to fix things. Love the bloke.

Last edited by a moderator:

DPE

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Of all the things that concern me are the way we play. We were quality, lots of positive possession, lots of fast fluid accurate passing. We were exiting to watch. The last 2 seasons this has gone and we are boring. Love the club but I still want to be entertained.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Leeds??!! You're having a laugh. You'd be on here saying we're going down because we can’t defend
From a stylist point of view, losing a game but being a bit entertaining is often better than losing a game but being as entertaining as herpes.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Money can't be too much of a concern if they are prepared to 'gamble' on a £35m 18-year old for the future, rather than improve the 1st team.

Getting to the QF of a European competition and finishing 7th put Wolves as a club in the best shop window we will ever be in internationally.

I don't demand we are up there, I am not impatient, as I understand it is very, very difficult, but I also feel that if you stagnate it becomes very difficult. I just feel we have missed the best opportunity we might ever have been in, in recent years, to even go further.

Personally, I would rather have spent the £45m we have spent on a quality CM (maybe 2 of them at £20m each), and a back-up striker for £5m. You don't always have to spend big money to acquire quality.

I also don't think its much about transition either, its about players. It's a sad fact that one or two ageing players have found it hard to maintain a required premiership level so far, but sadly we saw this at the end of the last season, though it was a long hard slog for all of them. It's not what we did in the transfer window that has affected us, it is failure to address other key areas that is affecting us, in my view. Yes we miss Raul immensely, but come on, he looked a lost and frustrated figure most of the time, prior to the injury. He realised it more than anyone.

More and more people are beginning to realise or acknowledge our areas of weakness, others will remain in denial and call us negative ****ers.

Its all about opinion of course. I will stick to mine, not because I want to undermine anything or anyone, I would never boo anything at a game, but because it's what I see with my own eyes. I fully appreciate how lucky we are and how well we have done over the past 3 years. No one needs to tell me.
Nice summary, reansy.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Of all the things that concern me are the way we play. We were quality, lots of positive possession, lots of fast fluid accurate passing. We were exiting to watch. The last 2 seasons this has gone and we are boring. Love the club but I still want to be entertained.
Yeah. This.

I said we are equal to Stoke in that we've got such a boring way of playing but it does it's job of keeping our head above water. Painful on the eye.

Reactions: DPE

NewarkWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We don't get enough players in the box to score goals and thus win football matches. That's the issue being witnessed and raised by fans and pundits alike. Patience shouldn't be needed for such a standard fault in the attempt to win football matches imo.
Regardless of formation Nuno won't get bodies in the box, that's our Achilles heel and the reason we won't move up a level irrespective of the formation and personnel

We're not giving ourselves the amount of opportunies to score and win games that the players can produce. Something is holding that back, I can't see how being patience of fans is the solution when the obvious isn't being addressed, we've said it for so long now.

Last edited:

colwall wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Still don’t want we trying to evolve to long term this is the concern?

long term are we aiming for 4-4-2 / 4-4-1-1 Leicester style? Or is it just tactic we’ll come away from as it’s not working

are we happy challenge 7th regularly? Do we want more?

Macman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Money can't be too much of a concern if we are prepared to 'gamble' on a £35m 18-year old for the future, rather than improve the 1st team.

I don't demand we are up there, I am not impatient, as I understand it is very, very difficult, but I also feel that if you stagnate it becomes very hard to reverse. Football clubs are like cruise ships, very difficult to change trajectory. I just feel we have missed the best opportunity we might ever have been in, in recent years, to even go further.

More and more people are beginning to acknowledge our areas of weakness, others will remain in denial and call us negative ****ers.

Its all about opinion of course. I will stick to mine, not because I want to undermine anything or anyone, I would never boo anything or anyone at a game, but because it's what I see with my own eyes. I fully appreciate how lucky we are and how well we have done over the past 3 years. No one needs to tell me. I desperately want Nuno to fix things. Love the bloke.
Good post reans. How i feel too.

R

reanswolf

We aren't getting players into the box and none of our central midfielders have scored so far.
Dendoncker is trying to, but is fundamentally not an attacking CM.

I don't see how we can transform successfully from a 3-5-2 to a 4-4-2 with deep-sitting defensive midfielders.
I don't think its possible. Is it? Genuine question.

What do people think?

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
From a stylist point of view, losing a game but being a bit entertaining is often better than losing a game but being as entertaining as herpes.
You're right!! I'm in!!

How many points was it that you get for style?

Pagey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We aren't getting players into the box and none of our central midfielders have scored so far.

I don't see how we can transform successfully from a 3-5-2 to a 4-4-2 with deep-sitting defensive midfielders.

What do people think?
Plenty of successful 4231 teams

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

What do people think?
Think we're going more 4-2-3-1 than 4-4-2 and to have the four forward players on the pitch, you really need two who can sit in my opinion. Have to account for the fact that the full backs are also often pushing forward so two sitting gives you a block of four to defend any counters

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You're right!! I'm in!!

How many points was it that you get for style?
That wasn't what I said. In that people are more accepting of defeat if it was in some way or form entertaining. If it not entertaining and we still didnt get points then people will be more damning in the verdict.

Back
Top Bottom