Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Express and Star

Wolf Pack leader

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I think that most on here are unfairly critical of Tim Nash

He has alot of copy to file to fill the paper as our club is the main sporting focus of our City's newspaper.

The club offer him no help, provide him with no inside inof at all. So it is very difficult for him to satisfy his editor, his readers and not to get a bad repitation with the club.

I know he is a committed Wolves fan and works into the early hours after every match compiling the best most balanced match report.

I say this even though his layer ratings are sometimes way out IMO.

But that is it it's in his opinion, that is what he is paid to do.

I repeat that with no inside info given to him at all by the club would any of us do any better ???

S

suntzuwolf

Well we wouldn't make things up because that's not journalism and i'm sure if he wasn't so slimy and didn't make enemies at the club he might be fed a bit more information.

Wolf Pack leader

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Suntz you have no clue do you.

The paper demands the video reports but do not give him the tools to do ther job professionally

The relationship between the club and the paper was broken well before he took over

Get your facts right

Now Im not his biggest fan but aI just think the stock he gets is OTT

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score

The paper demands the video reports but do not give him the tools to do ther job professionally

The relationship between the club and the paper was broken well before he took over

Get your facts right

All that stock gives him a beef to moan about:D

M

morosewolf

Yesterday's Doyle report was pathetic:

"Doyle, who cost £6.5m from Reading two years ago, knows Wolves would never stand in his way if one of the big four came calling, providing the fee was right".

2 paragraphs later:

"Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger is said to have confirmed an offer will be made for the Ireland international. But any approach will receive short shrift at Molineux."

Sedgers

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Yesterday's Doyle report was pathetic:

"Doyle, who cost £6.5m from Reading two years ago, knows Wolves would never stand in his way if one of the big four came calling, providing the fee was right".

2 paragraphs later:

"Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger is said to have confirmed an offer will be made for the Ireland international. But any approach will receive short shrift at Molineux."

I'm no E&S hater but I laughed when I read that yesterday too. Amazed that got past a sub.

S

Sharples

If you havent got anything to say then dont say anythign at all. Im sure he tries hard but its poor journalism. To be fair, Im yet to see/read/meet a good one.

Wolves in Limerick

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What is reported as having been said by Tim Nash in yesterdays paper would need to be read closely. I read it as that the club will not stand in Kevin Doyle's way should one of the big four come in but it is anticipated that the Arsenal offer will not meet the clubs valuation.
On this whole Doyle speculation, it appears to have started in the Irish Independent and took legs from there. I would be inclined to play it down somewhat. I don't believe that Kevin Doyle is Arsenal material. Irish papers need to suggest to football fans that our best player is much better than he is. Silly season reporting as its worst.

TheRetroChief

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Regardless of any of the above...there is absolutely no excuse for articles to appear in our local rag or online which have clearly never seen a spell check or been proof read. Regularly you will see spelling mistakes, repeated paragraphs, unfinished or sentences that make absolutely no grammatical sense. Considering it is one of the biggest local papers around, often it comes across as a real tin-pot publication.
That is my biggest gripe with it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wolf Pack leader

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Retro - very good point

Sharples - he has to put in so many articles per day !! He has no choice

50pencehead

I think that most on here are unfairly critical of Tim Nash

He has alot of copy to file to fill the paper as our club is the main sporting focus of our City's newspaper.

The club offer him no help, provide him with no inside inof at all. So it is very difficult for him to satisfy his editor, his readers and not to get a bad repitation with the club.

I know he is a committed Wolves fan and works into the early hours after every match compiling the best most balanced match report.

I say this even though his layer ratings are sometimes way out IMO.

But that is it it's in his opinion, that is what he is paid to do.

I repeat that with no inside info given to him at all by the club would any of us do any better ???

Hi Tim, how are you? :p

derbyrameater

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Wolves fan or not it. Working into the early hours after a match finishes at 5, doesn`t seem very good at his job to me

S

suntzuwolf

Get your facts right

Well im basing my opinions on the views of people that work within the club and that have to deal with Tim. So i think my facts are correct as unlike Mr Nash I do make sure what i'm saying is at least the opinion of one or more people.

UEAwolf

Reaction score
Whilst taking the original poster's point, surely part of his job description should be to build bridges with the club and establish some form of working relationship whereby he would then get the 'scoops' . In addition, it doesn't prevent him from writing intelligent articles about - I don't know - the state of Midlands football, the academy etc etc - rather than, as some people believe, making up transfer stories/reporting tenuous gossip.

S

Sharples

Retro - very good point

Sharples - he has to put in so many articles per day !! He has no choice

We all have choices. It seems that you maybe friends with him?

If the paper were on board with the club then they would fill it with other things that are more factual are towards supporting the club.

Wolf Pack leader

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I met him briefly one a couple of years ago.

I just feel that he gets a raw deal

I am obviously in the minority

Just thought I would see what people thought

welshy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Regardless of any of the above...there is absolutely no excuse for articles to appear in our local rag or online which have clearly never seen a spell check or been proof read. Regularly you will see spelling mistakes, repeated paragraphs, unfinished or sentences that make absolutely no grammatical sense. Considering it is one of the biggest local papers around, often it comes across as a real tin-pot publication.
That is my biggest gripe with it.

Abit like WOW then.

Titch

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was at school with Tim Nash (Codsall High school), he wasn't a bad lad. Wolves fan who got a job at the local rag.

The paper still sells well and a lot of people treat all the articles as gospel.

Stopped buying it myself years ago.

If you don't like whats written then simply don't read.

Mark Rankines Lovechild

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sure he is a lovely bloke, but I cant help thinking that the contributors to this board do most of his research and writemost of his "exclusives"

S

SaleWolf

The E & S has been $$$$e ever since Instone left because he had an opinion which the club didn't like.

R

reanswolf

He may have a tough reporting role now but his contradictory reports each day regards the pursuit of Roger johnson were laughable - within 2 consecutive days he stated "Johnson is definitely not a target", the following day he totally contradicted that stance.

Reputation is developed via accuracy - sadly the Express and star is now about as accurate as the Mirror - for whatever reason !

Burton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I kind of feel sorry for him as he reads this and realises what a total idiot he looks.

Wolv3nsam

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Whilst taking the original poster's point, surely part of his job description should be to build bridges with the club and establish some form of working relationship whereby he would then get the 'scoops' . In addition, it doesn't prevent him from writing intelligent articles about - I don't know - the state of Midlands football, the academy etc etc - rather than, as some people believe, making up transfer stories/reporting tenuous gossip.

People are more likely to buy the paper for a bit of tenuous gossip than to read about anything else, sadly.

Y

yuri

I kind of feel sorry for him as he reads this and realises what a total idiot he looks.

Nobody likes anything or anybody on 99% of internet message boards. It would be like getting upset over a youtube comments section.

saturday boy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The Express and Star have pulled 'stories' off here and if Tim Nash needed any help for his match reports there are folk on here who can put up stuff that puts his to shame.

The Express and Star is indefensible. They should hire Bild, sale and Redditch and give then free rein.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Reporters have to fill the pages. As seen with the NOTW today - reporters are under tremedous pressure to come up with storylines. A bit of 'economy with the truth' is not necessarily seen as a bad thing in this industry which is why the E&S has no relationship with the club and is derided on here. Having said that I do look at it on line every night!

CITIZEN ERASED

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Talking about not having the tools for the job. I've done a little bit of work on the E&S news desk and from what I saw they only seem to have one decent video camera...and that is a bit huge compared to the ones you see readily available in the shops these days.

Also, one camera woman to operate it - you might have seen her, pretty blonde lass - I saw her after our last game of season along with chief reporter Vicky Nash.

I'm guessing the star can't spare their one camera...hence the poo camera phone videos when Tim Nash follows Wolves abroad.

50pencehead

I'm fairly sure he doesnt give a toss about what we think. Too many keyboard warriors on forums IMO

W

Westport Wolf

Some of the 'opinions' on here are so far of the mark it's unreal. Many comments from members of this forum regarding Tim Nash form nothing more than a personal vendetta from people who just need to grow up. As a few others have said; if you don't like what's written, don't buy the paper or read the online edition. I spent some time chatting to Tim today at Carton House in Kildare. He's very clued up on what's happening, not just at Wolves but in football in general and does have access to Mick and the players on a daily basis while working amiably with the press officers at Wolves. Tim also has players's agents numbers who he can call to confirm rumours regarding approaches that have been made etc. In doing his job as a reporter he often has to trawl forums like this to gain opinion and also reads other national and local newspapers to see what they are reporting. He then calls their reporters to clarify their sources of information etc. In doing this, he's doing his job as a reporter/investigative journalist. If Tim didn't do this kind of stuff and write about his findings you'd all be moaning that the local press don't report any of the goings on at Wolves. Tim is stuck between a rock and a hard place - The club don't want him to report on everything he sees or hears as they like to keep transfer dealings quiet until a player signs on the dotted line, yet Tim's bosses at the E&S want the latest scoops to sell the paper. There are many on here who just wouldn't have the personal skills to handle Tim's job.

R

reanswolf

Some of the 'opinions' on here are so far of the mark it's unreal. Many comments from members of this forum regarding Tim Nash form nothing more than a personal vendetta from people who just need to grow up. As a few others have said; if you don't like what's written, don't buy the paper or read the online edition. I spent some time chatting to Tim today at Carton House in Kildare. He's very clued up on what's happening, not just at Wolves but in football in general and does have access to Mick and the players on a daily basis while working amiably with the press officers at Wolves. Tim also has players's agents numbers who he can call to confirm rumours regarding approaches that have been made etc. In doing his job as a reporter he often has to trawl forums like this to gain opinion and also reads other national and local newspapers to see what they are reporting. He then calls their reporters to clarify their sources of information etc. In doing this, he's doing his job as a reporter/investigative journalist. If Tim didn't do this kind of stuff and write about his findings you'd all be moaning that the local press don't report any of the goings on at Wolves. Tim is stuck between a rock and a hard place - The club don't want him to report on everything he sees or hears as they like to keep transfer dealings quiet until a player signs on the dotted line, yet Tim's bosses at the E&S want the latest scoops to sell the paper. There are many on here who just wouldn't have the personal skills to handle Tim's job.

With all due respect this is not primarily about Tim, whether he is a great guy or not is irrespective, Tim chooses the career he wants to progress in. We understand the pressures the press people are under.

What is being commented on is the accuracy of reports, which leave a hell of a lot to be desired at times - as the Roger Johnson articles clearly highlighted........end of.

I want a local rag I feel is trustworthy, I currently do not feel it is.

Wagstaffe Was Magic

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I would whole heartedly support Westports views on Tim. His subject is very narrow and despite the fact that we all believe that Wolves are at the centre of the universe it must be difficult to have to produce copy day after day on the same subject with strict editorial deadlines to meet. Nobody on here has been in that position to comment. I have no difficulties with the manner in which the Doyle and Johnson stories are dealt with . . In the former case, at the end of the day, the club will not stand in the way of a player offered Champions League football but will fight to keep their player in the first instance, and in the latter case, such is the secrecy with which the club deal with all transfers now, conflicting signals must be a daily issue for him. Tim Nash is Wolves to the core and one of the nicest blokes you could meet. Please cut him some slack and cut out the personal stuff. He is one of us.

Wolf Pack leader

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Westport and Wagstaffe thanks for putting so eloquantly what I was trying to say.

W

Westport Wolf

With all due respect this is not primarily about Tim, whether he is a great guy or not is irrespective, Tim chooses the career he wants to progress in. We understand the pressures the press people are under.

What is being commented on is the accuracy of reports, which leave a hell of a lot to be desired at times - as the Roger Johnson articles clearly highlighted........end of.

I want a local rag I feel is trustworthy, I currently do not feel it is.

Reanswolf, I know yourself and one or two others are primarily arguing about the quality of the E&S rather than the quality of character of Tim Nash, but I felt I had no option to share my personal views on Tim due to some of the personal insults thrown his way. One poster on this thread refers to Tim as 'Slimy'. This poster has obviously never met Tim. Even if they have, making such accusations on line is out of order.

The statements on here that Tim isn't helped by the club at all are not entirely true. The Wolves press officers seem to work amiably with Tim. They have each others mobile numbers and during their stay at Carton House, Tim has access to the players and staff in the official areas at the training ground. Sam Bagnall the photographer provides pics for both Wolves and the E&S, which is why the same photos appear in the E&S as on the Official Wolves Website.

Some people on this forum complain that information provided in the E&S is taken straight from the official website or even from this forum. Let's not forget that if Tim or any other reporter interviews a person, be it a player or a fan, they often end up asking very similar questions as posed by the club press officers. The interviewee then gives similar answers and the reports end up looking the same. This I'm sure will be the case with myself. Having been interviewed by John Hendley of Wolves I was also interviewed by Tim. They both asked pretty well the same questions and I gave pretty well the same answers so the report on Irish Wolves on the club site will be remarkably similar to our mention in tonight's E&S I presume.

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Some people on this forum complain that information provided in the E&S is taken straight from the official website or even from this forum. .

Couple of seasons ago, a bunch of albions fans concocted a plot to judge where the media got their stories from.
They discreetly dropped a few fabricated stories onto west brom forums about a Bolivian left-back, and an African player who was keen on moving to albion because his granny lived in Smethwick (paraphrasing here...can't remember the exact details).
It ended up in local papers, nationals...and virtually every amateur blogging site picked up the stories and spread them further.
Hardly any of the professional's had checked or qualified anything....but they were all quoting " a source close to the player" or "it is thought contact has been made"....and the like.

It must be tough, with all the disorganised and organised competition (Huffington Post launched here yesterday)...but they can only be judged on the accuracy of their stories, when their Editors judge them on sales and pressure them to produce anything to fill pages (as the NOTW journo's are now saying)..
If you're not getting good stories from the club, then you have to build up a trust relationship with them. Trouble is...you then end up missing the big stories that they'd rather you didn't publish.

Last edited by a moderator:
R

reanswolf

Reanswolf, I know yourself and one or two others are primarily arguing about the quality of the E&S rather than the quality of character of Tim Nash, but I felt I had no option to share my personal views on Tim due to some of the personal insults thrown his way. One poster on this thread refers to Tim as 'Slimy'. This poster has obviously never met Tim. Even if they have, making such accusations on line is out of order.

The statements on here that Tim isn't helped by the club at all are not entirely true. The Wolves press officers seem to work amiably with Tim. They have each others mobile numbers and during their stay at Carton House, Tim has access to the players and staff in the official areas at the training ground. Sam Bagnall the photographer provides pics for both Wolves and the E&S, which is why the same photos appear in the E&S as on the Official Wolves Website.

Some people on this forum complain that information provided in the E&S is taken straight from the official website or even from this forum. Let's not forget that if Tim or any other reporter interviews a person, be it a player or a fan, they often end up asking very similar questions as posed by the club press officers. The interviewee then gives similar answers and the reports end up looking the same. This I'm sure will be the case with myself. Having been interviewed by John Hendley of Wolves I was also interviewed by Tim. They both asked pretty well the same questions and I gave pretty well the same answers so the report on Irish Wolves on the club site will be remarkably similar to our mention in tonight's E&S I presume.

That is fair enough - I would never wish anything bad on a member of the Wolves family, I have never met Tim but I am sure he is a top chap who does not merit the sly attacks that may have been seen on here from some.

I do stand by my comments tho regards unreliability of some recent stories.

derbyrameater

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
..It must be tough, with all the disorganised and organised competition (Huffington Post launched here yesterday)..

In my post I was referring to the fact the OP said he (Nash) worked till the early hours writing match reports. It just doesn`t sit right.

And what the hell is this Huffington Post malarkey? never understood it`s purpose

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sort of a huge blog with multiple syndicated and voluntary bloggers which has taken on the form of an online newspaper (without the paper presence on the street).
The idea is that it's not politically directed so strikes a balance...people say what they want to say.
They aggregate from Reuter's, and take submissions from other newspapers to break stories etc..

The home page is very good for links. Take a look at the bottom
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/

Back
Top Bottom