Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Everton, surely a points deduction?

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I see they’ve delayed the move to the new ground until 2025/2026. Wonder if it’s linked to their financial trouble?
it’s a strange area they’ve built it in, with very little around there.
it used to be the home to the infamous Stanley Market where we’d get traipsed round on a Sunday!
I’ve stopped in the Titanic Hotel which is right by it (big enough to play cricket in the rooms!) and that’s about it, so i imagine there’s work to be done on that too.

yateleywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Forest did sell Johnson to Spurs though for quite an amount but Percy has mentioned it's Forest who are in danger. I'm sure Everton be all over that .

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
There's a right mess here though still. They really need clear rules about sanctions (seems like 6pts+1 for every £5m is what they want?) But doing this in April - it's just going to feel like the accountants are deciding the relegation places. It's still 12 months behind - can someone who understands this stuff explain why it takes from May to December to file the accounts?

dnf14

Reaction score
Forest did sell Johnson to Spurs though for quite an amount but Percy has mentioned it's Forest who are in danger. I'm sure Everton be all over that .
Yeah but what's likely to do Forest is the new wages-to-turnover ratio which I'm not sure Johnson's sale will help much with especially in consideration of last season's astronomical wage bill.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
Forest selling Johnson pretty much cancelled out their spending on Gibbs-White. They’ve wasted sorry spent loads and loads more.

SingYourHeartsOut

Reaction score
Forest selling Johnson pretty much cancelled out their spending on Gibbs-White. They’ve wasted sorry spent loads and loads more.
Not really though. Johnson was a youth product, so selling him for £45m is pure profit for that financial year (although I think it will be 23/24). Morgan was signed on a 5 year contract, so costing about £8m a year (depending on add ons). So for this year +£37m.

rincewind

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Johnson going to Spurs last summer will come under this season figures.

Nowt to do with last season figures.....they massively over spent....
Apparently they want to include the sale in lasts years figures on the basis they could have sold him earlier but holding on to him added significantly to his value! I'm not sure that's going to fly.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sounds to me like forest will fail and Everton face further points taken off them

Hopefully chelsea continue to spend stupidly

Last edited:

NottsWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I knew we wouldn’t be the only ones. However much the press continued to talk about it. Forest won’t be the only ones.

Saltyjim

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sounds to me like forest will fail and Everton face further points taken off them

Hopefully chelsea continue to spend stupidly
Chelsea might ending up having to sell Gallagher and Chalobah to stay on the right side of FFP. As academy products their sale would go someway to alleviating their situation.

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Apparently they want to include the sale in lasts years figures on the basis they could have sold him earlier but holding on to him added significantly to his value! I'm not sure that's going to fly.
The defence that Everton and Forest have put up are laughable . Everton - we didn’t get any advantage. Now Forest are saying the equivalent of I broke the rules last year but haven’t done so yet this year so can we ignore last year.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Nor should it. I imagine they hope that this might moderate any punishment levied for breaching in the prior reporting period, but if it did, that would open a major can of worms for the PL enforcement of FFP. Everton, City, Chelsea and anyone else facing a charge will start playing that game, and it will make cut off dates meaningless. So I hope that the PL stick to the cut off dates, and whatever scale of punishment they’ve determined for size of breach.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Forest were 190m down on last season transfers....it's pretty obvious they will fail....
Based on three years of financials, and Brennan Johnson's sale will cover a good chunk of that as a homegrown sale. Worst case scenario for them they'd probably have to sell MGW for a pretty penny in the summer.

AndyWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Based on three years of financials, and Brennan Johnson's sale will cover a good chunk of that as a homegrown sale. Worst case scenario for them they'd probably have to sell MGW for a pretty penny in the summer.
Point being Johnson was sold outside of the FFP accounting period in question

theweave

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They are only allowed a 61m loss due to 2 years in the championship

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
it’s a strange area they’ve built it in, with very little around there.

That's probably the point....use it to leverage investment and redevelopment.
Liverpool did the same with Capital of Culture money, and had their World Heritage status revoked because they didn't protect the waterfront heritage sufficiently but used it to bring in redevelopment money to obliterate some of it.

I remember when Birmingham naively applied for Euro Capital of Culture, they tried to actually celebrate the culture but failed to understand the politics. It was all about grabbing as much money as possible to build new things.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That's probably the point....use it to leverage investment and redevelopment.
Liverpool did the same with Capital of Culture money, and had their World Heritage status revoked because they didn't protect the waterfront heritage sufficiently but used it to bring in redevelopment money to obliterate some of it.

I remember when Birmingham naively applied for Euro Capital of Culture, they tried to actually celebrate the culture but failed to understand the politics. It was all about grabbing as much money as possible to build new things.
every time i go back home im astounded by what the city has become, but agree they’ve not been sympathetic!!

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m guessing a forest points deduction would happen next season?
Couldn’t see them surviving that, unlike Everton this season.

sedgwolf1980

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Essentially the short to medium term future of Everton and Forest looks like it’s down to how many points Luton can somehow scramble at home.

Still think both survive with ease, unless the deductions hit the 20 point plus mark.

SingYourHeartsOut

Reaction score
I’m guessing a forest points deduction would happen next season?
Couldn’t see them surviving that, unlike Everton this season.
I don't think that's the plan. Accounts are in, charges imminent, time to compile an appeal (although sounds like they're on it already) points deduction applied this season in April if found guilty. They wanted to do Everton last season, but they just weren't set up well enough I think. It's already one season behind, so it really should be done this season. It's just too close to the end for my liking. Although the actual size of the deduction seems to be established now at least.

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
every time i go back home im astounded by what the city has become, but agree they’ve not been sympathetic!!
I first visited Liverpool for work in 2002 and that whole Albert Dock area was an oasis in what was basically a ****hole. What it has become is staggering, from derelict to actually really impressive. However where Everton are building is a ****hole, it’s the old dock road that looks like the land that time forgot in about 1950.

Back
Top Bottom