Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Everton, surely a points deduction?

woop woop barmy army

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Probs the opposite. Hence the reason we had to cut cloth quick otherwise they would make the example out of us.

Meanwhile they give Everton more time to fiddle the books sell Iwobi to Fulham for 20 million when out of contract end of this season.

Read they’ve spent less this summer than they’ve brought in but don’t see what players they’ve sold at any value

arctic rime

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes I guess that's why we've had a clear out.

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I am sure that Leicester City and Leeds United will be interested in the outcome. They have both threatened legal action against Everton, following both clubs going down and Everton just about staying up.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Interesting to read about the situations at Chelsea and Man Utd as well. Chelsea I guess not a surprise, except for those suspicious payments, but Man Utd did surprise me.

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I just wish someone would explain in great detail how Chelsea appear to be getting away with not having any FFP problems!

They’ve spent over £1billion in the last 3 transfer windows. They have obviously sold players as well, but still have a massive deficit.

I know the players sign long contracts, but how can they get away with it?

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I just wish someone would explain in great detail how Chelsea appear to be getting away with not having any FFP problems!

They’ve spent over £1billion in the last 3 transfer windows. They have obviously sold players as well, but still have a massive deficit.

You partially answered your own question I guess. The Times article says that they are a club potentially at risk, so let’s see what bs excuse they roll out. Maybe there is some exception for clubs affected by owners subject to state embargoes hidden deep in the PL terms - would help both Chelsea and Everton!

Sedgley Gold N Black

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

To start with that's how they were getting away with it, although that loop hole has been closed now and doesn't apply to a few of their recruits this summer despite the long contracts the fees are capped at being spread over 5 years.

Chelsea's potential FFP problems will hit them in the next couple of years though, when recent sales drop off the books and they still have to cover their rolling high amortisation costs. If a few of their recent recruits don't work out then they'll have to start covering losses on those too and whilst their strategy of long term contracts for younger players has probably resulted in lowering the annual wage bill, it won't be long before those that start to perform well demand salary increases.

TheRetroChief

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

1694073451667.png

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score

Under investigation. But sell a player with no book value for £50m and sign 4 players for £100m each on 8 year contracts and you've broken even in that season! In the longer term though you're probably screwed.

Stafford

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How are Everton in trouble? They've made the biggest net profit going the past 5 seasons?

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Without going into great detail, £1bn spread over 5 years increases their amortisation by £200m per year. Some of that will be spread over longer before UEFA changed the rules.

But working on the 5 years, they have to raise £200m in sales of players with little to no remaining costs to cover that annual amount and not add to their losses.

They've raised about £250m in sales this season. They will have to keep doing that every season.

Then there's the lack of Champions League qualification again this season, plus the wage bill.

It will catch up with them in the end.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How are Everton in trouble? They've made the biggest net profit going the past 5 seasons?

The issues are historical. Everton drove a coach and horses through the FFP limits and after initially accepting their bs excuse, the PL is belatedly acting. Maybe you’re thinking about only the transfers? As a club they are deep in debt and struggling financially even without FFP considerations.

WWFC4EVA

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If Everton don't get deducted it will be beyond a disgrace
Everton will be used as the line in the sand.
No more... after them!!!
Do you honestly think Wolves, or Fulham, or Sheff Utd, or Bournemouth etc. would be treated the same?
I'm at the point where I'm almost done with football in its current guise, this would just about do for me!

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not sure anything will happen to 'the Grand, Old Club'. Even towards the end of the summer transfer window, they splashed 30m Euros on Beto. Doesn't look like a club that has any fear of sanctions to me.

Last edited:

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Everton will be used as the line in the sand.
No more... after them!!!
Do you honestly think Wolves, or Fulham, or Sheff Utd, or Bournemouth etc. would be treated the same?
I'm at the point where I'm almost done with football in its current guise, this would just about do for me!
Totally agree with you....I'm losing interest with all the politics involved with Var , FFP etc ....Everton not getting done will tip me over the edge...

Topcat

Groupie
Reaction score
The FA got caught in false threat parent mode.

"I'm not going to say this again!!"

"...I mean it!!"

"...This is your last chance!!"

"...Don't make me come over there!!"

"...Ooh, you wait till UEFA get home!!"
Or just a quick slap on the back of the legs?!

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Totally agree with you....I'm losing interest with all the politics involved with Var , FFP etc ....Everton not getting done will tip me over the edge...

If they escape a points deduction, hopefully they get their comeuppance by being relegated anyway.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Its not the point...had it been a lesser club they would have already been hammered.....

I know. It's the principle. The PL clearly want Everton, and Everton's shiny new stadium, as part of their racket.

But it would really hurt if they recovered from all this and progressed.

If they are given all the lifelines and chances going, but still manage to **** it up, now that would be very funny!

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Be fuming if I was a Burnley fan.....they got relegated when this should have been dealt with....spent a full season getting promoted to get back into the league..and Everton still haven't been dealt with.......this is the 3rd league this is affecting.....it's laughable it hasn't been dealt with.....

Last edited:

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Be fuming if I was a Burnley fan.....they got relegated when this should have been dealt with....spent a full season getting promoted to get back in the league..and Everton still hasn't been dealt with.......this is the 3rd league this is affecting.....it's laughable it hasn't been dealt with.....

Imagine Everton scraping 17th and Burnley finishing 18th this season!!

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Be fuming if I was a Burnley fan.....they got relegated when this should have been dealt with....spent a full season getting promoted to get back in the league..and Everton still hasn't been dealt with.......this is the 3rd league this is affecting.....it's laughable it hasn't been dealt with.....
Then they'll appeal causing months of further delay.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If the new rules say that any investigation, including any appeal, should be resolved within 3 months, should we therefore expect that Everton's case, including any appeal, should be solved within 3 months from now!!

It won't be.
Setting arbitrary timelines would merely result in more legal action as decisions would likely be based on partial incomplete information.

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Then they'll appeal causing months of further delay.
Reading and Wigan had points deducted for misdemeanours last season. Southend United as well.

Doesn’t appear any of them appealed and the decision was done and dusted very quickly..

Everton and Man City tribunals take years!

Why?

JohnB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fine and suspended points deduction as doesn’t relate to season. Similarly Chelsea and City.

Anyone caught going forward to be dealt with in current season with points deduction and fine.

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Setting arbitrary timelines would merely result in more legal action as decisions would likely be based on partial incomplete information.
Not sure how that can be the case, it’s all based on historical financial information that has already happened, not sure what more information would be required other than the clubs stated exclusions that they believe can be discounted for FFP purposes.

F1 now have a cost cap where they have to submit their financials along with their add backs that they believe are allowable at the end of each year, the FIA then review them, adjust the add backs if they disagree and then set out the provisional results. The teams can then discuss the results with the FIA if they are adverse and then come to an agreement.

No reason the PL can’t do something t similar, figures prepared from July to June each year submitted to the PL within X months, reviewed and final agreements by Y date.

I don’t see how they can’t impose this, the PL set out the rules that clubs are obligated to meet to play in their competition, if a club doesn’t wish to comply or disputes them they’re welcome to do as they please, but they won’t be competing in the PL as a result. It isn’t a restriction of what a business can do, just set out terms they agree to comply with to be within that competition. Don’t want to comply then don’t take part, that’s their choice.

Burford T Justice

Reaction score
If the new rules say that any investigation, including any appeal, should be resolved within 3 months, should we therefore expect that Everton's case, including any appeal, should be solved within 3 months from now!!

It won't be.
More likely to say the 3 months has passed so no further course of action

Back
Top Bottom