Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Diego Costa

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wow. Some serious condescension there. OK, I'll bite.

For some industries, the Home Office passes responsibility for work permits/visas to accredited bodies. For example, the Institute of Mechanical Engineers deal with applications for mechanical engineers, the IET would deal with Electrical Technicians, RICS would deal with Building Surveyors.

In Football's case, responsibility for reviewing applications, issuing permits/visas, hearing appeals etc. rests with the FA, as they are authorised to do this on behalf of the Home Office. Although the Home Office sets the over-arching policy, the FA developed the rules, criteria and the processes.

I would be 99% certain that nobody from the Home Office or the UK Government has even seen Costa's application, never mind had anything to do with the decision-making and appeals process. It's handled by the FA panel.

So to answer your original question. I seem to have a better idea as to how Government REALLY works than you do.
To be fair the Premier League and FA are able to provide Governing Body Exemptions (GBE) and as the Governing body they recommend whether a player gets a permit or not based on the points system. The Home Office issue the work permit but on the Governing Body’s advice, it would be rare for them to go against it.

In Costa’s case We have to go to Exemption panel and we may have/had to for Traore. In the PL Manual it states:

‘If the Player is a Free Agent, the Player’s Current Club is the club the Player played in the half of the season immediately before the date the application is made. If the Player is a Free Agent and was not registered for any club in the half of the season immediately before the date the application is made, he shall not be granted any points for the criteria which adopt this definition.’

The Brazilian season runs from April to November so by my reckoning Costa gets no points so the exemption will be based on exceptional player.

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How is this embarrassing?

Some people seem desperate to label Wolves as embarrassing.

Try to recruit someone and fail? That's embarrassing.
Don't try to recruit someone? Cheapskate.

The only one I can't quite work out is how "tinpot" would apply to this situation. Perhaps if we sign him and then he gets injured we're tinpot.

Superted

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
To be fair the Premier League and FA are able to provide Governing Body Exemptions (GBE) and as the Governing body they recommend whether a player gets a permit or not based on the points system. The Home Office issue the work permit but on the Governing Body’s advice, it would be rare for them to go against it.

In Costa’s case We have to go to Exemption panel and we may have/had to for Traore. In the PL Manual it states:

‘If the Player is a Free Agent, the Player’s Current Club is the club the Player played in the half of the season immediately before the date the application is made. If the Player is a Free Agent and was not registered for any club in the half of the season immediately before the date the application is made, he shall not be granted any points for the criteria which adopt this definition.’

The Brazilian season runs from April to November so by my reckoning Costa gets no points so the exemption will be based on exceptional player.
Agreed. I tried to keep it as simple as possible because.... well...you know :rolleyes:

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The same Hwang that we looked like offloading to Leeds last week.

Now (in hindsight) that would have been a really bad move.
Maybe, but selling Hwang and not buying Sasa would have got us a long way to affording Goncalo Ramos.

Stafford

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Maybe, but selling Hwang and not buying Sasa would have got us a long way to affording Goncalo Ramos.

It's far from a certainty that Ramos is ready to be a regular starter in the Premier league. Talented player, but doesn't look a presence. We needed someone for now.

Oldgoldilox

Groupie
Reaction score
I guess the thing that could scupper the appeal is the principle that allowing him a work permit is effectively denying an out of work UK national an opportunity to work. Whether that would apply when the available home grown possible candidates are the multi millionaires Daniel Sturridge and Andy Carroll I'm not so sure.

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I guess the thing that could scupper the appeal is the principle that allowing him a work permit is effectively denying an out of work UK national an opportunity to work. Whether that would apply when the available home grown possible candidates are the multi millionaires Daniel Sturridge and Andy Carroll I'm not so sure.
I think we’d make the appeal based on the exceptional player principal. And looking at the rules the decision is not based on whether a UK national could do the job.

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's far from a certainty that Ramos is ready to be a regular starter in the Premier league. Talented player, but doesn't look a presence. We needed someone for now.
You are having a laugh. Ramos is young, has been scoring for fun lately, and hasn't had a career threatening injury. He looks the real deal. If its a choice between him and one of Jiminez, Hwang, Sasa, Costa or Carrol, there is no doubt who is the better bet.

We took the cheaper, riskier option. Just as Hwang was seen as a cheap backup to Raul, who we wrongly believed would get back to his best.

Costa and Carrol are without a club for a reason. I would rather we promote someone from the youth team than waste money on either of them.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Some people seem desperate to label Wolves as embarrassing.

Try to recruit someone and fail? That's embarrassing.
Don't try to recruit someone? Cheapskate.

The only one I can't quite work out is how "tinpot" would apply to this situation. Perhaps if we sign him and then he gets injured we're tinpot.
Nothing to do with the transfer attempt
The embarrassment would be not getting a permit and ending up with someone like Carroll,if thats not embarrassing i dont know what is
As i said though i hope they have got the appeal right and it goes through

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Seems as though Ornstein is backtracking

As much as stick Wolves get, I do not see a situation where they go to the trouble of flying him over and setting up a medical if he is going to fail a work permit.
Agree…

Although we did send Matthew Hobbs to South America for a jolly.

Huge of Sharjah

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Nothing to do with the transfer attempt
The embarrassment would be not getting a permit and ending up with someone like Carroll,if thats not embarrassing i dont know what is
As i said though i hope they have got the appeal right and it goes through

Carrol would be all the embarrassment a man (or woman) needs at this point.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Many say we had two central strikers, so we have had bad luck.
I dont hold with that at all.
Because that assumes Jimmy was capable of filling that position throughout this season.
I am pretty certain from what I saw on the pitch he wasnt .

Rhyl Wolf

Reaction score
Why this sudden panic? It's all so un-Wolves. My head nearly fell off when reading Carroll is back-up plan. Have Fosun placed a huge bet on Wolves having x points after 10 games or so?

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So much overthought and mindless panic.

The club will know whether this will get done. If they knew it wouldnt happen, they wouldnt bother in the first place.
Well at least they would have had info on how likely it will happen and Costa and Wolves would have agreed on taking the chance.
Thats why Wolves pay lawyers.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You are having a laugh. Ramos is young, has been scoring for fun lately, and hasn't had a career threatening injury. He looks the real deal. If its a choice between him and one of Jiminez, Hwang, Sasa, Costa or Carrol, there is no doubt who is the better bet.

We took the cheaper, riskier option. Just as Hwang was seen as a cheap backup to Raul, who we wrongly believed would get back to his best.

Costa and Carrol are without a club for a reason. I would rather we promote someone from the youth team than waste money on either of them.
…..…..” We took the cheaper, riskier option”.

I doubt Jeff was trying to save a few quid considering how much they were spending this window. Most likely there’s more to the story.

Cuban Wolf

Groupie
Reaction score
Quite a while back, amongst other places, I worked in Bermuda. Yes, it is a British Crown Colony, and I even needed a work permit. I was offered the job, subject to Immigration status, qualifications etc. I remember asking was i not doing a local out of a job, the relply was that the job description was so specific, that a local wouldn't get the job.

sedgwolf1980

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Who are the deadbeats? Not trying to pick a fight just intrigued.
Deadbeats was being a bit facetious, but just picking one team at random, flavour of the month Brighton, I have no idea how any of these non British signings get in the UK ahead of someone like Costa.

Julio Enciso (Libertad Asuncion)
Benicio Baker-Boaitey (Porto)
Simon Adingra (Nordsjaelland)
Pervis Estupinan (Villarreal)

Bizarre system.

MasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The more I think about this Costa deal (if it happens), the more I'm against it. I'm not sure what the general consensus on here is and i know we are woefully short, but if it's the choice of Costa, Carroll or sticking with what we have, then it's the latter for me. I really don't see what either Costa or Carroll will add to our team as each have their own issues (Costa - fitness, not good for dressing room/Carroll - injuries/generally not being very good).

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Deadbeats was being a bit facetious, but just picking one team at random, flavour of the month Brighton, I have no idea how any of these non British signings get in the UK ahead of someone like Costa.

Julio Enciso (Libertad Asuncion)
Benicio Baker-Boaitey (Porto)
Simon Adingra (Nordsjaelland)
Pervis Estupinan (Villarreal)

Bizarre system.
We got a permit for Yerson who’d hardly played prior to coming to Wolves so I think both Traore and Costa should get one.

colincameron

Reaction score
The more I think about this Costa deal (if it happens), the more I'm against it. I'm not sure what the general consensus on here is and i know we are woefully short, but if it's the choice of Costa, Carroll or sticking with what we have, then it's the latter for me. I really don't see what either Costa or Carroll will add to our team as each have their own issues (Costa - fitness, not good for dressing room/Carroll - injuries/generally not being very good).
The general consensus here is: ****in GERRIMIN!

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
Agreed. No chance he won’t get a permit.
I kind of thought this was the case. However, if Wolves are so sure that he would get a permit, why would Percy (who is known as a very reliable source) report that we are looking at Carroll as a back up if the WP is turned down? That doesn't signal uber confidence to me. I think the WP is likely to be granted, just don't think Wolves are as confident about it as you think.

Jayjaywolves

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I eagerly await your response after the weekend having watched Costa abuse the Liverpool back line for 90 mins with arm pinches, little stamps, biting, **** talking and nipple twisting.
Debut brace and a 2-1 away win.

Cousins78

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Liam Keen saying its a genuine 50 50 if costa gets his wp. I am not as optimistic as most on here

rincewind

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I kind of thought this was the case. However, if Wolves are so sure that he would get a permit, why would Percy (who is known as a very reliable source) report that we are looking at Carroll as a back up if the WP is turned down? That doesn't signal uber confidence to me. I think the WP is likely to be granted, just don't think Wolves are as confident about it as you think.
I dont think he has suggested Wolves are looking at Andy Carroll. I think hes saying he is available and typical of whats out there.

wolvesaywe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Liam Keen saying its a genuine 50 50 if costa gets his wp. I am not as optimistic as most on here
Is he? Seems like he's just parroting the same stuff we've heard from lay people all today

NottsWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He could be on a list of players they considered or if he ‘fails’ a medical.

Back
Top Bottom