Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Bruno- stay or out?

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't believe for a second this squad is unable to create chances. It's not down to talent, it's down to tactics.
It's been the same now for at least a couple of seasons under two manager's but mostly the same players.
Bruno was waving them forward on Saturday, as he has done many times before, but what did they do ? They passed it backwards. Seems to me the players don't want attacking tactics.

superwolves

Reaction score
It’s not all about league position ( makes little difference if we end up 8th or 16th , with another trophy less season) the style ( or lack of it) of play has a lot to do with it .

A poster above questioned the lack of young talent this season and the reply was we’d be 10 points worse off if Bruno played them …..
We’d still be above the relegation zone and those players could be playing an attractive brand of football getting more experience at the top level ( all hypothetical) ……
It was always going to be a season of transition but in reality nothings changed from the end of last season , except we’ve lost Adama and are arguably worse for it.
For a manager though league position is the priority I'm sure if we was 16th then Bruno would have been looking for a new job before Christmas. Yes they have to get the balance of entertainment aswell but points are built on clean sheets then everything evolves from that. The lack of goals in the squad has made things difficult for Bruno a different manager couldn't have changed that without financial support

Reactions: Ian

Direwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
When you look back at where we were and what was possible before the Arsenal games you have to say that Bruno had been a tremendous success. On the other hand since then he has become an abysmal failure who has failed to coach and motivate the team to successfully mount a realistic challenge for Europe.

So given we have a bit of a Jekyll and Hyde coach this season which personality is going to predominate and set our destiny for the future. Up to the last three games I would have said the guy will pan out to be a Jekyll give him time and a decent transfer budget for a whack at next season. But last Saturday's home performance, the Hoever debacle and suspect man management skills combined with a general failure to re-invigorate the team for a fight has him firmly placed in the Mr Hyde camp. I just hope Jeff does not hang about and replaces him sooner rather than later.

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Us being in the false position may save him for another season but nobody can honestly say we deserve to be where we are. Everybody knew our lack of goal scoring and
chance creating would catch up with us but here we are. Take away some heroics from certain players at the back and we’d rightfully be where we belong, mid table.
And what was done about our lack of goalscoring ?

OsloWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's been the same now for at least a couple of seasons under two manager's but mostly the same players.
Bruno was waving them forward on Saturday, as he has done many times before, but what did they do ? They passed it backwards. Seems to me the players don't want attacking tactics.
Absolutely. But if this is the case, and he's not able to make the squad follow his instructions... Well, then we're screwed. And soon he'll be without a job.

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Absolutely. But if this is the case, and he's not able to make the squad follow his instructions... Well, then we're screwed. And soon he'll be without a job.
It seems to me they only understand one instruction. Pass it backwards. Saturday was appalling and that was down to the players.
He needs to use some of those not apparently indoctrinated eg Chiquino, Toti or Cundle.
Bruno is no without his faults but I felt for him on Saturday. If I were Big Jeff I would let a good few players go.

superwolves

Reaction score
The table position is brilliant, the football is absolutely dreadful. We are the most boring side in the premier league imo.
I've no doubt Bruno would love to play more expansive football as I'm sure Nuno would have liked to aswell. Has he got the squad to achieve the league position if he does though?? He's asked for new players to address this as did Nuno. You could change the managers 10 times unless this problem is addressed then the results will no doubt be the same

OsloWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It seems to me they only understand one instruction. Pass it backwards. Saturday was appalling and that was down to the players.
He needs to use some of those not apparently indoctrinated eg Chiquino, Toti or Cundle.
Bruno is no without his faults but I felt for him on Saturday. If I were Big Jeff I would let a good few players go.
Sandly this is not how ut usually ends. If anyone is leaving it's Bruno.

Joshwolf218

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Jeff shi has to go

And Scott Sellers’s

Again with Jeff shi out and Scott sellers out

Why don’t people realise fosun will just replace the chairman with another Chinese company man. Who will then get his own ‘people’ in

Besides changing them isn’t going to magically change the budget wolves have… it’s sell to buy in additions to whatever we make profit wise

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we lose three of the next four, which we more than likely will at least, it will be 11 defeats in our last 17 games and at best case 18 points in that period (if we beat Norwich).

That sort of form has you near the relegation zone over a season.

17 games is a pretty large sample size to look for a trend and it’s hard to see any manager surviving that.

I get both arguments to the debate on here as in the squad does need improving, but it’s also better than what it’s showing.

It certainly shouldn’t be showing relegation form over nearly half the season.

If we do lose three of the next four I don’t think Bruno could have too many complaints if he went in the summer.

superwolves

Reaction score
I think alot of the frustration comes from the expectation levels of the supporters if we assess the situation properly has Bruno really done a job deserving of the sack?? He deserves the opportunity to be able to put his stamp on the squad and then people can assess his ability more accurately and fairly

Joshwolf218

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I think alot of the frustration comes from the expectation levels of the supporters if we assess the situation properly has Bruno really done a job deserving of the sack?? He deserves the opportunity to be able to put his stamp on the squad and then people can assess his ability more accurately and fairly

Counter argument we lose 3 out of 4 last games of the season barely scoring a goal. Having lost 10 out of last 14 if we weren't 8th through Sa heroics we would be relation fodder
Go into a rebuild come the new season we continue to lose then what?

Surely it's better to assess in the summer than change during the season

If Bruno can turn it around sure but imo he doesn't seem to have tactics, subs or the ability to motivate players

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Counter argument we lose 3 out of 4 last games of the season barely scoring a goal

That was certainly the argument those wanting Nuno out used.

Narfolk Wolf

Reaction score
If that's the case reflects badly on the senior players and their leadership in the dressing room.

superwolves

Reaction score
Counter argument we lose 3 out of 4 last games of the season barely scoring a goal. Having lost 10 out of last 14 if we weren't 8th through Sa heroics we would be relation fodder

If Bruno can turn it around sure but imo he doesn't seem to have tactics, subs or the ability to motivate players
But doesn't alot of teams lose there edge at this stage? Isn't it more to put the question at the players professionalism? Was klopp suddenly a bad manager when Liverpool couldn't win a game after they had the title won? The motivation has to come from within aswell. Bruno looked shell-shocked at times Saturday what he was watching. He needs to be able to put his stamp on the team he's not been given the chance to yet

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The vote on the other Wolves Forum has shocked me. 98/99% of them want him sacked. Normally a very positive forum as well.

Joshwolf218

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
But doesn't alot of teams lose there edge at this stage? Isn't it more to put the question at the players professionalism? Was klopp suddenly a bad manager when Liverpool couldn't win a game after they had the title won? The motivation has to come from within aswell. Bruno looked shell-shocked at times Saturday what he was watching. He needs to be able to put his stamp on the team he's not been given the chance to yet

I understand he need his players, but how does that explain his tactics, his odd line ups, lack of reading the game, weird and late subs

Additionally what are they doing all week on the training ground its clearly not transferring

And frankly yes the team need to be better if drip a lot of them but Bruno won't

Zico

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I find myself flip flopping on this one.

How many people were predicting a relegation battle this season? Plenty, yet we flirted with the top six and will comfortably finish top half. Calling that a false position over the season is just silly. We've got the points to get us there and we haven't fluked those points.

Those first three games gave us all an idea that this was how Bruno wanted to play. Plenty of theories as to why he abandoned it, but there's still that feeling that it's the kind of football he really wants.

These aren't his players. He's had hardly any chance to work with players of his choice. Every manager deserves that chance.

Set against that, the way the season has imploded has been quite a sight. Some of the questions over his abilities seem quite justified. In game management. Strange tactics. Public criticism of players. Is the latter a mistake? Or maybe a reflection that this squad no longer has the edge, the nasty side, to challenge and push each other to be better?

I can't decide. On balance I think I'd like to see him given the chance to gut this squad and build the one he wants. Risky? Yes, but so is the alternative.

superwolves

Reaction score
I understand he need his players, but how does that explain his tactics, his odd line ups, lack of reading the game, weird and late subs

Additionally what are they doing all week on the training ground its clearly not transferring

And frankly yes the team need to be better if drip a lot of them but Bruno won't
Personally I'd say Bruno deserves a fairer crack at the job than he's been given so far I'd put plenty of other things infront of him as more of an issue to us getting results. Finishing 8th this season is a great achievement

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

If you look closely at the Molineux pitch, there's horse-shoe shaped patches of worn grass between the edge of the D and the halfway line.

Sa, to Saiss, to Ait Nouri, runs to half way, turns, back to Saiss, across to Coady, out to Boly, to Jonny, runs to halfway, turns, back to Boly, across to Coady, out to Saiss, to Ait Nouri, etc. etc. etc.......

Rinse, repeat, bang my head against a wall and gouge my eyes out.

Loefah

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Stay vote steadily creeping up each day. It was at 16% after the game.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I find it weird how fans love throwing around the term "bottled" where it doesn't really fit. Is it that it's fun to lash out a bit at Wolves, and then you'll be reassured by people calming you down?
Its exactly that, cheers.

Ernie the Wolf

Reaction score
Good and fair question but I have a couple.
Are Wolves more or less of a threat than a couple seasons ago? Are we more or less likely to score that most clubs in the PL?
Is our defence less secure than before Xmas.
Do you think Nuno would have more or less achieved what Wolves have this season?……basically, have we progressed enough?
Depends which version of Nuno you are talking about! The one from the first 3 years or last season.

superwolves

Reaction score
Every manager has a problem when there's a lack of funding it doesn't matter who he is or how good or bad he is it's very difficult to be able to do his job if he can't freshen up his squad keep people on there toes and be able to put pressure on current first team players. If he has to rely on youngsters coming through to do that then it's a difficult job for the best out there. The Premier league is arguably the toughest league going for a youngster to learn his trade in

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I get the impression that Bruno Lage is first and foremost, a coach, not a head coach/manager. I like him and sympathise with him completely because fosun have left him counting how many shoes he is wearing during the transfer windows, but having said that, I am really worried what may happen if we stick with him.

The success of Bruno Lage is definatly there to see on personnel. Semedo, Coady, Kilman, RAN, Neves.. individually IMHO they all look stronger than what they did in previous years. They have also added more to there games. I don't think anyone could doubt the influence Lage will have had on that. That is why I think he is a very, very good coach. On the training ground, there has been successes.

Tactically, the first three games were the most exciting I have watched a Wolves team play in the PL. But what has happened since then exactly? Did teams just work it out, so we reverted to type? Did Bruno change things, tactically? This has never been addressed really. I wish he was pressed on this in interviews because in the summer/first three games he spoke of moving us forward. We sacked Nuno to change styles, but then at the first sign of danger, revert right back to last season, tactically. We look the same team. Even back to Coady and the diagonal ball out to the flanks is back again, only there is not as much width for it to be effected. It is the same old story as last season, but we have the added benefit (or is it..) of fans in the stadium.

I think you take Jose Sa out of this team and we are probably no better off as to last season.

The message is not getting through to players either, which as a head coach I find the most concerning. This is where we knew we had a top coach in Nuno (without making comparisons). We were brilliant at reacting, in games and gained so many points from losing positions. Contrast to now, if we start bad, we end bad. There has (Villa freak, which it was, aside) never been a "reaction". It is as if Bruno Lage sets the side up in the dressing room on a tactic and gameplan alone. Once that comes unstuck, we have no answer. He clearly doesn't motivate the players. Assumptions perhaps, but how can we not assume this? Where was the motivation Saturday? With the leaks coming out the last couple of days, one can only worry exactly how does he communicate to the players?

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

I don't believe for a second this squad is unable to create chances. It's not down to talent, it's down to tactics.
When has this squad ever shown the propensity to create stacks of chances consistently? They are defensive players

OsloWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
When has this squad ever shown the propensity to create stacks of chances consistently? They are defensive players
First three games of the season. Before Bruno became the latter day Nuno.

JamesWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We did actually make the squad bigger, but as I feared when discussed at the time added average to bad to it.
I think there is an element of hindsight to an extent. People were excited about Trincao, similarly Hwang was broadly seen as as a positive. Mosquera was one for the future who could do a job if called upon and Neto was due back in October. The squad was bigger than last year and we’ve had some strong benches since January but injuries have been a problem.

I think the two biggest miscalculations were 1) Not strengthening midfield 2) expecting Raul to be closer to peak Raul than he is, he’s miles away. To be fair to the club, no one could realise how far away he was until he got into games and even then there would be an expectation of improvement.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

I think there is an element of hindsight to an extent. People were excited about Trincao, similarly Hwang was broadly seen as as a positive. Mosquera was one for the future who could do a job if called upon and Neto was due back in October. The squad was bigger than last year and we’ve had some strong benches since January but injuries have been a problem.

I think the two biggest miscalculations were 1) Not strengthening midfield 2) expecting Raul to be closer to peak Raul than he is, he’s miles away. To be fair to the club, no one could realise how far away he was until he got into games and even then there would be an expectation of improvement.
I mean it doesn't really matter how excited a name makes us when we sign them, if the club get it wrong they should be criticised. They are paid to make the right decisions.

JohnB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Personal view.

8th beyond my expectations. (Not yet clear if we’ll finish 8th).
By Arsenal half-time and we were looking to be in the mix for Top 5. Masked some boring football but was effective.
Since then form has been poor and performances woeful (apart from Leeds for a half and Villa for a half).
Very clear things need to change or we sleepwalk into next season with a high risk of relegation (Skybet has us as likely to be 6-7th from bottom) - is that 1) Holiday; 2) new players; 3) new manager; 4) new backing?
I am not convinced by tactics/approach and so would swap manager at end of season unless something miraculous on results and style happens over next 4 games. Harsh? Maybe….

…..but am I excited for next season? Not really and a new manager more than a holiday or new players would lift us.

1651769451127.png

Back
Top Bottom