Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Bruno- stay or out?

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It just shows the shambles of the club with no assistant manager and no one either to answer for Jeff Shi if he had covid ..
As he's got rid of all the managerial positions below him, That is why I've got the thread up " The Buck stops with Jeff Shi !!"
Do you perhaps think that 'shambles' is a strange word to describe a club that is the 8th best in England

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Tell you what - and I know this is properly unfair. I don't like Roberts. Don't know anything about his value to the club so he could be a genius, but he comes across a bit like a bully in every footage I've ever seen. I instinctively don't like him. (SORRY Tone!)
Never heard a word said about him other than praise from players. Also set piece coach and our numbers are very solid this year much, much improved

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Never heard a word said about him other than praise from players. Also set piece coach and our numbers are very solid this year much, much improved
Like I said, very unfair. But just an instinctive response to him!

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We had similar runs last season and plenty "dressed it up" and questioned the sanity of anybody who suggested it was relegation form. We ended the season with 6 defeats from 10 - and that 10 included 2 wins and a draw against the relegated 3. Among the worst 3 teams the league has ever seen.

The different personalities of Bruno and Nuno seem to be a factor as much as any actual results. Nuno's charisma must be a big plus. Bruno hasn't really got any charisma! It's just showing that without charisma, in life, you often have to do better to get respect.

Performances are a difficult one. One one hand, to me, it feels like we really have got forward more and tried to be less dour and negative than last season. Yet as you say, the stats aren't really any different. Goals, XG, shots etc are all very similar, sometimes worse. I just remember the tedium of *knowing* we would plan on doing nothing in the first half of every match last season. Stay in the game for 60 minutes minimum, then hope that Traore or Neto could go on a run and snatch it at the end. 2 of those wins (sheff U and fulham) were exactly that. Horrible to watch as these were against teams who others had strolled over.

This season, surely we've spent more time in the opponents half? More time in the opponents final 3rd? But then it all falls down as we are inept at the finish. I really don't believe any manager can change that with these players available. Hopefully a Neto returning to fitness can score a couple.

Any idea who the "good appointment" would be? Nuno was an excellent appointment - he came with 3 or 4 absolute key players who knew him, had played at much higher level than a mid-table Championship club and would never have joined otherwise. The equivalent for us now at *this* level, is a new manager who can, within weeks of joining, bring in Andres Silva, Renato Sanches, Alphonso Davies or equivalents, because the Almighty himself couldn't turn our current lot into a good goal scoring team. Gerrimin!! (shame he doesn't exist).
Is this our second season back to back with no break? Do we have a catastrophic injury list? Does Lage have any credit in the bank to suggest he can turn it around? And did we ACTUALLY lose seven out of ten at any point?

No to all

To be honest I'd rather have the tedium of the first halves knowing that we can mount a fightback in the second rather than what we have now, which is if it isn't good in the first ten minutes and the opposition haven't set up exactly how Lage expected you may as well go home, because it's gonna be a tough watch. We only managed to score in nine first halves last season (actually the same number as our first season after promotion), we've currently scored in the first half in eleven games, the four remaining opponents, we didn't score against any of them first time around (and had two goes at Norwich). I wouldn't put any decent money on us adding to that eleven - that's not really the huge improvement people were expecting (or are purporting) is it?

Barring the first month when things genuinely did look bright (I actually put a bet on us getting top six after watching the first two home games), there's been no change. If that's Lage going into his shell then he doesn't have the courage in his convictions to do the job, if it's the players dictating to Lage how we play, then Lage doesn't have the authority to do the job

He's also got a better squad than last season, might sound daft as it's generally the same core. But the likes of Ait-Nouri, Kilman and Silva are all very much on a rapid, natural upward curve, Neves has been excellent but I don't recall a defensive midfielder in his mould hitting his peak at 23 and Semedo picked up where he left off at the end of last season after a rough introduction to the PL. You can give Lage some credit for these if you like, but you'd have expected every single one of those players to be better this season than last anyway, no matter who was in charge. Sa has been a massive upgrade on last season's Patricio, throw in the extra options he has and this squad is better than the one we had available for the majority of last season

As for replacements, I mentioned a couple of names on the other thread, Conceicao and Fonseca being the two if we stayed in the Mendes stable. I really like Steve Cooper as a manager and he could well be poached if Forest don't win the play offs, but not sure how good a fit he'd be here. Five years ago though I wouldn't have picked out Nuno and I'm sure there are good fits out there that the powers that be know about. What I do know though, is what I've seen this season gives me no confidence that the current man in charge can take us anywhere. We should be creating more than the likes of Burnley and Watford, we should be better to watch than we are and we should have an identifiable pattern of play, but we don't, and that ultimately comes down to the bloke setting them up

Golden_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If Roberts is in charge tomorrow something is wrong whatever anyone says, Hogan. We have an assistant head coach and first team coach who should be in charge in Bruno's absences surely? Not the goalkeeping coach.

Is there anything that suggests Tony is in charge?

Rhyl Wolf

Reaction score
Tell you what - and I know this is properly unfair. I don't like Roberts. Don't know anything about his value to the club so he could be a genius, but he comes across a bit like a bully in every footage I've ever seen. I instinctively don't like him. (SORRY Tone!)
Can't speak of his footing in the Wolves camp, but he's very popular with the Welsh management, team and fans. Don't think it's an environment which would suffer a bully.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can't speak of his footing in the Wolves camp, but he's very popular with the Welsh management, team and fans. Don't think it's an environment which would suffer a bully.
Fair enough mate. Perhaps he just triggered memories from my childhood attempts to break into football teams I wasn't good enough for!

I'm almost certainly being harsh

Flea

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My sweden two cents..

I think Lage has done a brilliant job with us this season..his first with us.
We are in a better position amny seasoned fans..like myself..would have envisioned before the season started,and I do think he has wrinkled every ounce of capability out of the squad since then.
We will finish top ten..it is a remarkable feat given the circumstances and possibilities given to Mr Lage.
I think..overall..he has done a tremendous job with a squad that has overachieved under him.
A top ten finish is absolutely tremendous for a club like ours..and the kudos must go first and foremost to Bruno Lage.

A manager don´t backed by our owners taking over a club in decline(Nunos last season).I just can´t understand the critics against our manager at this point in time.

It´s all down to Fosun,,last chance saloon is coming up fast..the last summer of choice.

Back us now,and we might reach the glory land.

Continue like you have last couple of summers..and we will at best be one of the best of the unwashable rest.

This is NOT a managerial issue.

The buck starts and stops with our owners.We are all WWFC..most of us were here..just here..when the Bhattis boys runned the show.

It´s all I´m saying.The responsibility of the owners of WWFC is monumental.The rest of us i just really awaiting our full potential as supporters..and we have it coming towards us..because we are WWFC..wim a big club.

The potential is still out there,we are just sitting and waiting.We can give a whole lot more.

All that is failing for the moment is owners with ambition.No ambition 2020´s and we will be eaten like in the old Hall and Oates video..Maneater.

We are all here Mr Guo..we are just waiting for you..strike NOW!

Coshamwolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well yess,.. something ain`t right if the head coach, ass head coach and first team coach leave it to the goal keeper coach!

D

Deleted member 7862Bler

The Welsh national team is about the same level as league 2. Massive difference between wales national team and a premier league team.

Ryan Giggs is accused of abusing his ex partner. So can’t really say Welsh management team isn't an environment that wouldn’t suffer a bully

Last edited by a moderator:

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
One of the reasons why he went I reckon. Sa is light years away in terms of distribution.

Sa is miles better in distribution and saves JOS. He can kick the ball further, is more agile than Rui and he doesn’t stick on his goal line.

Rui’s positioning at times was pretty weak as well. Some soft goals conceded on his near post.

Other than that Rui was ok!

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Is this our second season back to back with no break? Do we have a catastrophic injury list? Does Lage have any credit in the bank to suggest he can turn it around? And did we ACTUALLY lose seven out of ten at any point?

There's always something. Nuno operated with minimal injuries for 3 seasons. But as significant, has Bruno been provided with players from a league above? Where are the Euro international champions that were drafted in on promotion?

Thing is, both managers performances have been remarkably similar when conditions have been similar. This season and last. I have doubts about Bruno, but then I also have doubts that getting a third manager in a year will make no difference, while the squad remaines the same. While investement isn't at the levels it was in the first two seasons, how can anything change?

Bruno apparently had a record of developing young players, which was mentioned a lot when he joined. We have (alllegedly) some bright young talent. They clearly are not up to it now, though they also have improved. Why blame the manager for expecting players who may be 2, 3 or even more years from top 6 level (if at all), to not be instantly at that level?

It's sounding just like the typical "sack the manager" hysteria, which 95% of the time delivers nothing without significant player changes. We either strike very lucky or the new manager has the funds and pulling power to attract several players of higher quality than what we have. Or we carry on exactly the same and a year (or less) from now, we are in a no better position and though Bruno is far from perfect, I also believe there are a lot of managers we could have got who would have led us into deep **** by now with this same squad. And they will still be waiting...but hey, at least they won't be Bruno, who a significant number took an instant dislike to.

Stand by what I say, if the new manager can bring the likes of Sanches and 2 or 3 other top players in immediately, then go get him now. If he's working with this same squad...and the same excuses for non-transfers we've had for 3 years, then expect the same as this season *at best*.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 7862Bler

There's always something. Nuno operated with minimal injuries for 3 seasons. But as significant, has Bruno been provided with players from a league above? Where are the Euro international champions that were drafted in on promotion?

Thing is, both managers performances have been remarkably similar when conditions have been similar. This season and last. I have doubts about Bruno, but then I also have doubts that getting a third manager in a year will make no difference, while the squad remaines the same. While investement isn't at the levels it was in the first two seasons, how can anything change?

Bruno apparently had a record of developing young players, which was mentioned a lot when he joined. We have (alllegedly) some bright young talent. They clearly are not up to it now, though they also have improved. Why blame the manager for expecting players who may be 2, 3 or even more years from top 6 level (if at all), to not be instantly at that level?

It's sounding just like the typical "sack the manager" hysteria, which 95% of the time delivers nothing without significant player changes. We either strike very lucky or the new manager has the funds and pulling power to attract several players of higher quality than what we have. Or we carry on exactly the same and a year (or less) from now, we are in a no better position and though Bruno is far from perfect, I also believe there are a lot of managers we could have got who would have led us into deep **** by now with this same squad. And they will still be waiting...but hey, at least they won't be Bruno, who a significant number took an instant dislike to.
Bruno has never played football.
Bruno has never managed a senior team for a full season.
It’s not that people took a dislike to him. He is just under qualified for the job.
He also has the personality of a wet paper bag.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bruno has never played football.
Bruno has never managed a senior team for a full season.
It’s not that people took a dislike to him. He is just under qualified for the job.
He also has the personality of a wet paper bag.

Yes, those are all very good points. Though I think they add up to explaining the dislike, they don't make it go away. He had to achieve more to get the same respect. So two managers have failed to turn this squad carefully assembled to play rope and dope football with the big guys, into a sleek attacking team. Lets get Bielsa in, eh. If he can't do it, nobody can. :D

whitnash wolf ex.dewsbury

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes, those are all very good points. Though I think they add up to explaining the dislike, they don't make it go away. He had to achieve more to get the same respect. So two managers have failed to turn this squad carefully assembled to play rope and dope football with the big guys, into a sleek attacking team. Lets get Bielsa in, eh. If he can't do it, nobody can. :D
got no buckets

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Christ on a bike does anyone have some tin foil I can have to make a hat please? Then I’m getting in a rowing boat and going straight off the edge of earth.

Some on here will find something in anything.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It boils down to "What do we have to spend in the summer and who do we trust to spend it?" . I have no idea how astute Bruno is in the transfer market. Though I suspect at least some part of Nuno's departure was that expectations were higher than the budget. If there's just peanuts for a few Porto under 23's, I cant' see it making any difference who the manager is. If there is a lot of money available and a genuine push to break that glass ceiling, then I'd lean towards Bruno probably not being the man for that job.

Back
Top Bottom