Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Bruno Lage

yateleywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What actually was the injury??? There seemed no real concern in preventing it any further (a strain or tear for example) when he was allowed to walk off as normal with no assistance whatsoever. Made me think it was his hip area??
Good question I read somewhere it may of been cramp which I find hard to believe so hamstring strain seems more likely.

WolvTown

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Sometimes you can tell a person they are going to or about to fail and that's enough to get a big change or big response from them.
Sometimes you just have to let someone fail for them to then make a bigger change in the future.

Maybe, AND i'm thinking out load here, Hoever has been told this by the coaches, but it wasn't sinking in. Bruno says that on tv, because he ain't going to see much of Hoever for the next six weeks. Then when he comes back Bruno can sit down and say "ok, that was then, this is now, you weren't training hard enough and I spoke out of turn. But from today we start again on a fresh footing and you put the work in everyday 100%"

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don’t really post much on here any more despite spouting verbal diarrhoea on the Mix in its various incarnations since 2001. The sheer bipolar nature of this forum is increasingly frustrating for me. I find it rather depressing.

That said sometimes I find myself in a frame of mind where I think just have a read of the forum. By and large I swiftly go back to realising why I don’t really bother with it any more. Everything is sensationalised, it’s like reading the Daily Mail.

I thought I’d join in on this occasion though, ready to get annihilated in the crossfire.

I don’t see what the issue is with what Lage said yesterday.

Are the players beyond criticism? The minimum expectation is to work hard and be prepared.

Ki-Jana Hoever has been waiting in the wings, on the periphery of the team. He’s clearly a talent otherwise he wouldn’t be here and wouldn’t have been part of the matchday squad for as long as he has.

He’s had the excellent Nelson Semedo in his way all season and hasn’t really had a sniff of the team. Semedo gets injured and he is given an opportunity to step in a take his chance. He doesn’t and in the game and a bit he’s played he’s looked like a Cameron Borthwick-Jackson clone.

It’s not just that though. With Semedo injured for a number of weeks/months our options at right wing back are limited. Jonny is a fabulous player but is on his way back from a second knee injury, one that was the result of rushing back too soon from the previous one. A fit Hoever, a Hoever that is looking after himself allows Jonny to be integrated at a pace that aids his return. A Hoever that doesn’t do what is expected and results in him going off injured after 25 minutes puts Jonny at risk too.

Lage isn’t a coach without experience of dealing with young talent, he’s dealt with and nurtured talent as a job before. How frustrating must it be to have a player who is a talent but isn’t prepared to put in the hard yards when given an opportunity?

I’ve read lots of comments about Lage throwing Hoever under the bus publicly and how he should have kept it in house. How do we know that the concerns haven’t already been raised and fallen on deaf ears? Perhaps venting frustrations publicly is one last attempt to get a player, a talent, to realise what it takes to be a top class player.

A couple of weeks ago we were on the cusp of 4th with effectively the same set of players that were so poor the season before. 3 defeats in a row and now Lage is the devil and people are suggesting he’s not up to the job.

Be frustrated by all means, I get it. Just try not to be one of those whoppers on social media using the internet to scream at each other.
‘Try not to be one of those whoppers on social media using the internet to scream at each other’ should be the world’s Internet forum signature.

fleck1

Reaction score
I don't mind seeing this, Bruno is generally calm and relaxed post match, speaks intelligently about the game win or lose. He obviously feels this is the only route left to kick Hoever or any other up the ****, it wont be that he's had a bad day or a week leading in to the game, it will have been a building up of issues. Its not a Hoever/Wolves issue, its all over the game now young lads made for life before they've made it in the game. Gone are the days of having to earn the respect of the gaffer and the senior pros, bring back the old YTS scheme and make them earn it.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He is doing a good job, but i think it's the opposite. If he walks at the end of the season and says he didn't feel he can do the properly because he wasn't backed he hadn't harmed his reputation at all. If he did it now he wouldn't either.
Perhaps he could walk now , but he had to get through January , before he walked IMO.
January got him recognition and saw the board disgracefully weaken the squad. .

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Apparently Hoever is in for recovery today according to Spiers. I'll be very interested to hear the extent of that injury. Recover and injury is normally different

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think it was better for Bruno to have a go at Hoever, instead of him sweeping it under the carpet.
Embarrassing a player in the press is not cool, imo. A coach may have to make a player feel bad about his performance, but don’t make him look it……will just cause resentment.
And I don’t know if it was warranted anyway.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Embarrassing a player in the press is not cool, imo. A coach may have to make a player feel bad about his performance, but don’t make him look it……will just cause resentment.
And I don’t know if it was warranted anyway.
It must be bad to single him out though it’s done now who cares his wolves career looks over

Supadavewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think it was better for Bruno to have a go at Hoever, instead of him sweeping it under the carpet.
I think some sports psychology is needed.

Maybe get Ki to talk to a former Wolves legend?

Peter Knowles would fit the bill, and I think he saw the match because he's a Ki Hoever's Witness.

Personally, I'd hire an ex-boxer to train him, get him really fit. Mike Dyson maybe?

Ned Stark

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I think some sports psychology is needed.

Maybe get Ki to talk to a former Wolves legend?

Peter Knowles would fit the bill, and I think he saw the match because he's a Ki Hoever's Witness.

Personally, I'd hire an ex-boxer to train him, get him really fit. Mike Dyson maybe?
Maybe Hoever just has to suck it up

oldgoldheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The vocal bruno haters are out in force as usual. They have loved this last week. Most fans of other clubs think we/he have done well. I think we will finish 9th or 10th. No disaster and a good first season for bruno. I think he is a better coach than nuno and we should back him next summer

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The vocal bruno haters are out in force as usual. They have loved this last week. Most fans of other clubs think we/he have done well. I think we will finish 9th or 10th. No disaster and a good first season for bruno. I think he is a better coach than nuno and we should back him next summer
Bruno, so great that he plays the same football as Nuno but less threatening and with a dash of an inability to make a come back. Though you should back the manager, always.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bruno, so great that he plays the same football as Nuno but less threatening and with a dash of an inability to make a come back. Though you should back the manager, always.
Bruno has said he’s gonna try change our style over time (the summer) not do everything at once!!

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bruno has said he’s gonna try change our style over time (the summer) not do everything at once!!
I'll believe it when I see it, if we are talking purely style over results. We are wearing hi-tech shoes whilst everyone else is strolling around in gucci.

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I agree. We have had a few bad results, but that happens to every team apart from Manchester City and Liverpool. Few on here expected Wolves to be fighting for a European place, so we have overachieved a little bit.

A good summer in the transfer market, and I expect a different, more attacking approach next season. Possibly with a back four.

Rangiora Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
D

Deleted member 7862Bler

Which other managers (wolves or other clubs) have used this approach of humiliating a player like this?
And what were the results? Did the player sort themselves out as a result or was their careers at the club over?

Interested to know managers/players and what the result of public shaming was.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think Lage and our recent performances are fair game to be criticised. We have been negative and performed poorly. People cant have it both ways. He got plenty of plaudits when he was doing well so i dont see any issue with people being critical when its the other way around.

Direwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Must say I was 100% behind Bruno until Saturday. I thought his team selection was very suspect, the game plan was awful mainly because I couldn't see one. Also when it was plain to see for everyone that the game was going down the pan why didn't he make some positive changes? Waiting till 63 minutes to bring on Jiminez and bringing on Chiquino with ten minutes left was too little too late. After the game I thought he would hold his hands up and say he got it wrong and the team played poorly. The rant about the young players seemed to be a blame game that demonstrated very poor man management. Their is a time and a place to make that point about youngsters and that is not the way to do it if you want them to learn from their mistakes. Having said that I have little sympathy for Hoever too as he obviously feels he is much better than his game has ever shown and you can see why Liverpool let him go.

Elvis Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think Lage and our recent performances are fair game to be criticised. We have been negative and performed poorly. People cant have it both ways. He got plenty of plaudits when he was doing well so i dont see any issue with people being critical when its the other way around.
This!!!
Players need to be singled out occasionally.
It's a privilege to be part of the Wolf Pack, so EVERY player should give 100 % every game.
There are Players out there who would love to be part of our set up.
If Players are lazy and late for training etc, then ditch them and bring in others who would give their all.
Our U23s & U18s seem motivated to succeed so get them involved now.
Bruno is right to address the problem publicly, well done to him.
No player is bigger than the club !!!
As Hoever has discovered.
Thinks he's above criticism and better than he really is. Liverpool realised it and moved him on.
Good for them.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The problem with our style of play is when we commit so few players to attacking, they really need to be on peak form to be a threat, and the truth is this season non of them have been.

theweave

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This!!!
Players need to be singled out occasionally.
It's a privilege to be part of the Wolf Pack, so EVERY player should give 100 % every game.
There are Players out there who would love to be part of our set up.
If Players are lazy and late for training etc, then ditch them and bring in others who would give their all.
Our U23s & U18s seem motivated to succeed so get them involved now.
Bruno is right to address the problem publicly, well done to him.
No player is bigger than the club !!!
As Hoever has discovered.
Thinks he's above criticism and better than he really is. Liverpool realised it and moved him on.
Good for them.
I agree, however I'd like to see Ait Nouri start over Marcal so I guess I'm a hypocrite who only wants the rules to apply to players who I don't deem good enough to start.

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have to agree. Hoever has done nothing to impress in the time he has been with us. His apparent poor attitude and lack of looking or being interested immediately spring to mind and Bruno did right imo.

He’s had his chances either by starting or coming on from the bench. Imo I can’t think of one good performance. Look at the last 2, West Ham and Palace, awful. I won’t forget the Liverpool basic mistake either when he couldn’t be ***** to get back after giving the ball away in the last 60 seconds. He only had to play for 5 minutes after coming on! Lack of a proper warm up (as Bruno seems to allude to amongst other things) was it!!!!

Hopefully his team mates will give him a big kick up the ***e as well because he needs it.

As a lifelong Wolves fan I want to see players earn the shirt. Hoever does not deserve to even be on the bench. He needs to learn the hard way or it will be the highway! If that happened I would not in the least be bothered atm.

Last edited:

Direwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I am all for saying it as it is their is nothing wrong with home truths. But I cannot see how players work rate in training had anything to do with Saturday's debacle. It was just an absolute dire team performance throughout provoked by poor team selection and tactics and surely this is the issue. Lage needs to take responsibility and show his leadership qualities rather than deferring blame on youngsters.

thommo1984

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Look at the last 2, West Ham and Palace, awful.
I mean, sure, he hasn't been good but Coady, with his cheeky smile and constant cheerleading, has also been diabolical so it's not just as simple as that is it? Everyone has been underperforming, including the manager, and that's the point people are trying to make and why I think Bruno's comments aren't right. It feels massively like scapegoating to cover his own issues.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
His comments have put himself under pressure here. It’s ok to go “they’re men playing in a men’s league so they should suck it up for the money they’re on” but that’s not the reality of how it is.

We will see whether his words have had the desired effect in the next few games against battling sides.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I am all for saying it as it is their is nothing wrong with home truths. But I cannot see how players work rate in training had anything to do with Saturday's debacle. It was just an absolute dire team performance throughout provoked by poor team selection and tactics and surely this is the issue. Lage needs to take responsibility and show his leadership qualities rather than deferring blame on youngsters.
He wasn't blaming the youngsters for the defeat.
He blamed it on the lack of duels won all over the park.
He was asked about Hoever (and still angry about the performance) laid out a few home truths.

Back
Top Bottom