Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Article I wrote about last season

Bossworld

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don't know if anyone's interested but thought I'd post it up given we're post season. Sent this in for the 2015/16 'When Saturday Comes' writing competition but wasn't successful. Appreciate it won't be everyone's cup of tea and sorry to drag the dregs of last season's debacle up again, but any critique welcome.

---

A mid-table nightmare

2015/16. A stagnant season largely to forget for Wolverhampton Wanderers. A club latterly synonymous with back to back relegations and sacking managers at the wrong time, Wolves had clawed their way back to respectability with the solid appointment of Kenny Jackett and an emphatic League One title win, coupled with narrowly missing out on the play offs the season after.

Unfortunately, the good-will and optimism that had built up during the first two years of Jackett’s reign quickly evaporated by the end of September. Inevitably, even Bolton managed to get off the ground against a side lacking in confidence; a feat they bookended on their path towards eventual relegation later in the season.

For once in many seasons, Wolves were scoring several goals per game, but were uncharacteristically shipping them for fun at the other end. Perhaps the writing should have been on the wall early-doors, squandering a 2-0 lead at home to QPR to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. A plucky 1-1 away draw against the nine men of newly-promoted Preston followed the next month, rescued in the dying embers of added on time.

Despite the emergence of bright young talent, several of whom are currently playing internationally at U21 level, the team lacked both experience and a proper leader, most notably in defence where several academy graduates proudly filled the teamsheet. Carl Ikeme, for years playing the role of understudy had finally made the number one shirt his own, only to see a keeper shipped in from Arsenal on-loan usurp him from the team. What followed was a rotational disaster and inability to keep both clean sheets and a consistent line up, both key to a successful Championship campaign.

Players who had served the team well for the team’s rise under Jackett suddenly went missing. Want-away midfield maestro Kevin McDonald made overtures for a move but was persuaded to stay, Richard Stearman, a local lad, team captain and reigning player of the season was sold for dubious ‘footballing reasons’ and each week fans found a new scapegoat for the latest abject performance.

Around Christmas time, a run of four league wins in a row, punctuated by the inevitable FA Cup third round defeat brought some much needed festive cheer, and even the remote possibility of sneaking back into the play offs on the back of a decent run. However, results tailed off again, and by February the realisation that the club was a by-word for mid-table mediocrity killed off any lingering optimism.

Injuries took their toll, and the three heroes of last season’s ‘Magic’ chant that bellowed around Molineux last season didn’t play their part for various reasons. Sako left on a free to Palace with the fan’s blessing and an overwhelming feeling of what might have been. Dicko played little part after a season-ending injury in late August, while Benik Afobe’s unceremonious departure to Bournemouth in January sums up the club’s current lack of engagement with the fans, with an unseemly spat of words over the real reason for his departure.

For the players that did arrive, Adam Le Fondre flattered to deceive, whereas his Cardiff compatriot Joe Mason was signed for a comparatively large £3m transfer fee and spent most of his time on the bench. Jordan Graham returned from a loan spell and went straight into the first team for twelve games, before a cruel ACL injury ruled him out for nine months. His replacement, Michal Zyro finally brought some cheer to the team, with three goals in his first two games, before being ruled out for over a year from a challenge at MK Dons. Kenny Jackett recently admitted that the team weren’t prepared for this season’s Championship campaign, with an over-reliance on youngsters, but this serves as scant consolation for those fans that have endured a torrid season of mediocrity.

On a personal note, I am exiled up in Newcastle, where the figurative goldfish bowl of North-East football means most away days are a 300+ mile round trip. My visits to the iPro, Hillsborough and Riverside brought about a cumulative loss of 10-4, and yet more misery to the ever-dwindling number of away fans. For a club that has always travelled well away, we finished the season with the 10th highest average away attendance, a 27% decline over last season and the joint-second highest decline in the Championship. West Midlands football lacks the perceived expectancy of fans in other parts of the country, and gallows humour is never in short supply. However, there are only so many 0-0 home draws the fans can take before you start to lose them; Wolves managing seven in total and five in a row until the final game of the season.

The recent episode with Money Shop has shown another disconnect between those who run the club and the local community. Steve Morgan has put the club up for sale but with no saviours on the horizon, there is a terrible echo of the 1980s Bhatti era with one unnecessarily grandiose stand towering over Molineux with a distinct lack of investment on the playing staff in comparison. The comparatively well-paid CEO, Jez Moxey is again cast as the villain of the story, and yet is about to enter his 17th year at the club.

When I was younger, the Guardian’s pre-season guide usually summed up Wolves as ‘Likely to spend the most in the Championship; will finish seventh’. Even that would have felt like an achievement given the lack of entertainment on offer this season, and with Newcastle and Villa dropping into the league for next season, hopes of a quick return to the Premier League seem more distant than ever.

Strangely, for a team lacking in any great level of excitement or chance of promotion, Wolves were live on TV 14 times in the 2015/16 season. This is unlikely to be repeated with the Magpies and Villans taking their place in a star-studded second tier of teams who were once famous in the days before colour TV. Sadly, with parachute payments ending and no oligarch in sight, it seems Wolves are unlikely to manage anything other than build towards another 19-year exile from the top flight.

Hrothgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think it is well- structured and well written- though inevitably it makes rather painful and depressing reading!! Unfortunately i suspect that you were on a very " sticky wicket" trying to make a treatise on our miserable and rather tedious season into an entertaining read for the adjudicators- who likely dont share our (morbid?!) fascination with Wolverhampton Wanderers- so not in any way a reflection on your literary skills i wouldnt have thought!!

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Depressing read but sums up the campaign. I can't see things changing much in the new season. If Dicko returns without the sulks and determined to make up for lost time then we may have a better chance of getting up towards the play-offs.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A very good summary . It may be a tad depressing but that reflects the truth. Morgan should be sent a copy , just in case he cant see the wood from the trees.

The Professional

'Unprofessional'
Reaction score
Good piece, very depressing and difficult to read because of the realness of the situation, but a good article.

M

Moaney Moar Wolves

A very good read but for pity's sake can't you give it a happy ending.

Pengwern

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I want to put last season behind me. The article is a fair and comprehensive account and good for its time, but I want to move on - well, actually, I want the club to move on, by getting a new owner in sharpish, getting some quality signings in sharpish, by adopting safe-standing for the South Bank and by ditching MoneyShop.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not replacing players

Stearman, Afobe, Sako

These were key players not just squad players so to lose them has been detrimental to our goals for and playing system now being more defensive

Injuries

The list is endless could say unlucky could say over worked in training... Something doesn't quite add up

If we can't win make sure we don't get beaten

This is a tactic which mick used in his first season to nick a goal and defend its outdated and not very effective with the formation and system we play hence the amount of 0-0s with us bringing other teams down to our level.

Lack of goals

The fact the central midfield is like wading through treacle is worrying, Coady offers no goal threat the same can be said for Price being defensive minded players. The fall out with McDonald is clear to see one of our better players soon to see the door thanks to Kenny's great management. However with Saville & Evans in line for next season at least that sounds more promising going forward

Lack of creativity

With Jordan Graham on the wing we looked a real threat then he got injured and it all went tits up, as already said the centre midfield offers no real goals apart from the emergence of Saville and good old dangerous Dave Edwards when he's fit. Too many work horses not enough ability.

Kids need experience but won't play them

Hunte, Deslandes, Enobakhare, Reid, Hayden

No doubt will all go onto have good careers. The dud games at the end of the season should of been used to see how many of these players play over the likes of siggy, le fondre and whoever else won't be staying at Molineux. The academy is a great tool and probably the only good thing Morgan has done for Wolves. How do you expect players to improve if we don't play them (loan them out says jackett)

Evans returning

Perhaps this will be the making of our midfield Evans is more of an attacking player and had rave reviews from Bradford fans for his Hollywood Gerrard passes and goals. Maybe Kenny can use him next season to get the best from our young guns.

Decks cleared

With several players released the gaps in the team are even more obvious

Required

Left back
Centre midfield
Winger
Striker (a target man)

Funds available

Guessing we sell McDonald & either Iorfa or Hause there could be 5/8m coming in no doubt we will be using a low percentage to do our shopping.

Shopping list (potentially I wouldn't mind just a handful of them)

Matt Smith - Striker, Fulham
Tommie Hoban - Defender, Watford
Jóhann Gudmundsson - Winger, Charlton
Tom Bradshaw - Striker, Walsall
George Moncur - Midfield, Colchester
Jeremy Helan - Wing back, Owls
George Baldock - Defender, MKD

The conclusion

Unlucky with injuries but next season will be more exciting with teams coming down and our players returning from injury lets hope we aren't in the bottom 3 with the bookies having us as one of the favourites to go down at 9/2 with skybet

Overall a frustrating season, but I can't see it getting any worse at least for now. I expect a summer of transfer activity. Time will tell. Let's hope a new owner comes in soon and takes us back to the promised land!

E

Edgmond Wolf

I want to put last season behind me. The article is a fair and comprehensive account and good for its time, but I want to move on - well, actually, I want the club to move on, by getting a new owner in sharpish, getting some quality signings in sharpish, by adopting safe-standing for the South Bank and by ditching MoneyShop.

Don't forget Edgys Video Screen. A big un :D

Bossworld

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A very good read but for pity's sake can't you give it a happy ending.

Hopefully this season will prove to be the tonic!

Cheers folks. The article that was published (had to be on any matter regarding the 15/16 season) was about the difficulties of being a referee, which certainly would be of wider interest. Was only published in this month's issue released this week, so hence I'd waited before posting.

As an aside, I know fanzines and the printed press are dying a slow death, but if you like the writing style on football365 I'd thoroughly recommend picking up When Saturday Comes next time you're in WH Smiths (used to be an airport staple for me!)

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 3518

Pretty well summed-up my recollection of the season.

Berlin Wolf

Supporters Clubs Empresario
Reaction score
A well written reflection of last season, a good read too, well done.

Back
Top Bottom