Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Any news on Ruben?

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You've said season over every few weeks this season
Not sure I have?

I went big that Traore leaving in January would cost us a European spot. Five defeats in nine in the league since he left and FA Cup exit to the worst team in the division. (so six losses in ten).

I have said in the past few months that I would snap your hand of for 7th as I felt that was the best possible outcome for us despite all the Champions League talk or whatever. Primarily because I don't think West Ham are great either.

However with Neves out I think that's now over.

I don't see us getting the 9/10 points minimum that (I think) we need from Villa, Newcastle, Burnley & Brighton to be serious about finishing 7th without Neves.

With or without Neves I expect defeats to Chelsea, City and Liverpool (and a win vs Norwich tbf).

Hence, the season over comment. We will finish 8th IMO, which is excellent if you mentioned it in August last year & I certainly didn't think it was possible. Frustrating how it played out though.

Last edited:

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Christ almighty, what’s with soooooooo many injuries? We can’t get a break, can we?
It’s time these players are forced to eat porridge every day.
Never did us any harm apart from the resentment, bitterness, the lectures of starving black babies in Africa, the dawdling at the table trying to wait out our parents’ patience. I didn’t have a dog as a kid……well, that’s not quite true, as I had an imaginary dog who I fed behind the heater when my mom wasn’t looking.:)

Corporate Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We will have to move Saiss in Midfield and bring Kilman back
It will be interesting to see if this happens especially in view of the fact that Bruno has said that he has faith in Cundle to step up (demonstrated by the Spurs game).

Personally after Saiss' horror show on Friday he needs to be dropped.... although appreciated that he is not the only one to blame for that defensive ****show.

oldgoldheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I just hope Ruben plays for us again and hopefully in August. thefact he walked off told me it was serious but not really bad. thankfully he didn't play on for long. I can't recall him being injured in 5 years. we have ridden our luck with him and Moutinho. i bet Moutinho is talking contract terms now! I would be

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Christ almighty, what’s with soooooooo many injuries? We can’t get a break, can we?
Never did us any harm apart from the resentment, bitterness, the lectures of starving black babies in Africa, the dawdling at the table trying to wait out our parents’ patience. I didn’t have a dog as a kid……well, that’s not quite true, as I had an imaginary dog who I fed behind the heater when my mom wasn’t looking.:)
We are pressing more so the extra sprints are killing the players at the moment. Next season we should have a much better injury record after another pre season with Bruno.

Failing that, Porridge 100%.

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think it's more down to management than catching a break. Neves injured himself early in the Leeds game but played on, and now he's out for two months at the worst possible time. Just like Neto - I recall he was carrying an injury and was forced to complete 90 minutes shortly before getting properly crocked at Fulham. I'm not saying we should overly wrap these guys in cotton wool, but perhaps a bit more circumspection is required when we are so short in midfield.

With our small squad approach, we seem to ignore problem areas and run our players right up to the red line, then wonder why they go on to implode. The lack of an able deputy for Raul arguably cost Nuno his job in the end. The way we have neglected central midfield has been decried on here for at least the past two windows, and has now come home to roost.

This will severely limit Bruno's tactical options, if not represent an overwhelming blow to our European hopes. Can we realistically play two in midfield / three up top anymore with a 35 year old and a rich man's Dave Edwards? Can we confidently play three in midfield with the academy lad with one career appearance?

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
I think it's more down to management than catching a break. Neves injured himself early in the Leeds game but played on, and now he's out for two months at the worst possible time. Just like Neto - I recall he was carrying an injury and was forced to complete 90 minutes shortly before getting properly crocked at Fulham.
Nuno and the medical staff have refuted this claim a number of times and explained the reason fully. Neto's knee injury was totally unconnected to any injury he previously had, or had been carrying. It was caused by a blow to his knee along with an awkward landing from that dodgy tackle by the Fulham player. He wasn't crocked because he was carrying a knock.

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We’ve lost one midfielder and folk are now suggesting we need Saiss in midfield. After 4 years in the premier league.

Rauls suspended so our centre forward options are Hwang, Fabio or possibly Podence.

I’m sure you’ll still tell me that the squad is fine though and the clubs recruitment has been spot on.

sedgwolf1980

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We don’t necessarily have a small squad anymore, indeed we are over stocked in certain areas. However we are completely and utterly, laughably, short in midfield. As we, nearly all, predicted. Not hindsight, just so glaringly obvious.

Can’t believe that just a couple weeks ago I was sat in goodison watching Neves give an absolute masterclass, completely on top of his game. Now here we are, season gone completely to ****.

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We don’t necessarily have a small squad anymore, indeed we are over stocked in certain areas. However we are completely and utterly, laughably, short in midfield. As we, nearly all, predicted. Not hindsight, just so glaringly obvious.

Can’t believe that just a couple weeks ago I was sat in goodison watching Neves give an absolute masterclass, completely on top of his game. Now here we are, season gone completely to ****.
Well...at least we get to see how Cundle looks....

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Of course it would still be a massive blow.

But the squad size is still completely the issue. What's to stop Moutinho or Dendoncker getting injured now?

It's laughable to have three central midfielders and a kid in a squad.
I didn’t say it wasn’t an issue, I said it isn’t the issue here, as in specifically in losing Neves to injury.

If we’d got either of the midfielder’s we were linked with on the summer transfer deadline we’d have an extra body in but losing Neves would still be a huge blow.

Roffeywolf

Reaction score
Playing 3/4/3 it was 2 from Donk, Ruben and Joao
3/5/2 it was Donk, Ruben and Joao

Nearly everyone on this forum realised that if one of these three got injured or suspended it is going to be difficult in midfield. Saiss or Cundle would appear to be the options. It's a shame we let MGW go out on loan. Like many, I'm not sure he is good enough but this would have been the perfect opportunity to see if he has it in him.

SoCal_Wolf

Reaction score
I didn’t say it wasn’t an issue, I said it isn’t the issue here, as in specifically in losing Neves to injury.

If we’d got either of the midfielder’s we were linked with on the summer transfer deadline we’d have an extra body in but losing Neves would still be a huge blow.
Time for other players to step up--Toti did it when we were short at the back in January. Let's see what Donk and Cundle are made of.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I get your point but it wouldn't be a 'huge' blow if Sanches (if fit) was partnering Moutinho in midfield instead of Neves, for example, especially with Dendoncker as backup. Not ideal to miss Neves, but we would still have enough quality.

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I get your point but it wouldn't be a 'huge' blow if Sanches (if fit) was partnering Moutinho in midfield instead of Neves, for example, especially with Dendoncker as backup. Not ideal to miss Neves, but we would still have enough quality.
It wouldn’t be as much of a blow no, the issue is your bit in brackets though isn’t it because despite how good Sanches is, and I’d loved us to have got him, he’s currently injured as usual again so may not have been any help at all other than keeping Neves company!

The issue for me isn’t so much about depth anymore, it’s about quality in some areas. Midfield is probably one man short, the bigger question is are Cundle (right now - obviously he’s still got time to develop) and Dendoncker good enough backups, rather than is there enough depth with them two.

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Botman too..

Time to look into the championship for some bargains like Palace have done

Lewis Obrien would be a steal into our midfield

It frustrates the life out of me how rarely if ever we explore this avenue. There are some seriously good players in the Championship who'd be excellent additions to us. I'm always a little skeptical when it comes to strikers making the step up but you only have to look at how the likes of Crystal Palace use the market to see what value there is. Eze and Olise for a combined 26 million?

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It frustrates the life out of me how rarely if ever we explore this avenue. There are some seriously good players in the Championship who'd be excellent additions to us. I'm always a little skeptical when it comes to strikers making the step up but you only have to look at how the likes of Crystal Palace use the market to see what value there is. Eze and Olise for a combined 26 million?
100% bargains to be had, that Luton striker Adebayo looks hot property too

Supadavewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The issue for me isn’t so much about depth anymore, it’s about quality in some areas. Midfield is probably one man short, the bigger question is are Cundle (right now - obviously he’s still got time to develop) and Dendoncker good enough backups, rather than is there enough depth with them two.
This.

Banging on about the size of the squad is simply wrong. For example, at CB we have six players - Coady, Saiss, Kilman, Boly, Toti and Mosquera - for 3 (and, for some Mixers, for 2!!!) places.

You're right, Chris, it's a question now of squad quality and balance in the different areas.

We still have 3 midfielders in the first team squad to compete for (presently) 2 CM spots. None of them, in my opinion, match Neves for quality, but the quantity at least is there.

waveney wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
1 million percent NO. Coady was playing at fullback in the Chump pre-Nuno even though signed as a midfielder for a damned good reason. Even he admits that he is no PL midfielder.
He may be a good defensive midfielder, in front of the back 4 , as long as he stays in front

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
Like Morgan Gibbs White , Ryan Giles and Dion Sanderson there’s three that could be part of the team next season

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nuno and the medical staff have refuted this claim a number of times and explained the reason fully. Neto's knee injury was totally unconnected to any injury he previously had, or had been carrying. It was caused by a blow to his knee along with an awkward landing from that dodgy tackle by the Fulham player. He wasn't crocked because he was carrying a knock.
I don't recall the medical staff mentioning a direct blow to the knee; the injury as far as I'm informed occurred from the landing. I do remember Neto wearing kinesiology tape to the kneecap / tendon that he just so happened to properly injure in that game. This was said to be from an injury in the Portugal game, but I remember him taking a heavy blow in a Wolves shirt just before that, and completing the match (I'm tempted to say 2-3 vs. West Ham at home?).

I'd like to unquestioningly defer to their expertise of course, but their claim that the initial injury had no bearing whatsoever on the severity of the main injury, seems like something they might say if they feared blame for green-lighting him with an existing injury to the joint. Is it illogical to think a strong, injury-free knee probably doesn't end up as badly damaged from what seemed to be a fairly innocuous fall?

It's certainly possible neither injury were connected, but medical teams are under pressure to get key players back into the frame ASAP - they give, or used to give, injections to injuries, which as we can all surmise is not with the player's health as the priority.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't recall the medical staff mentioning a direct blow to the knee; the injury as far as I'm informed occurred from the landing. I do remember Neto wearing kinesiology tape to the kneecap / tendon that he just so happened to properly injure in that game. This was said to be from an injury in the Portugal game, but I remember him taking a heavy blow in a Wolves shirt just before that, and completing the match (I'm tempted to say 2-3 vs. West Ham at home?).

I'd like to unquestioningly defer to their expertise of course, but their claim that the initial injury had no bearing whatsoever on the severity of the main injury, seems like something they might say if they feared blame for green-lighting him with an existing injury to the joint. Is it illogical to think a strong, injury-free knee probably doesn't end up as badly damaged from what seemed to be a fairly innocuous fall?

It's certainly possible neither injury were connected, but medical teams are under pressure to get key players back into the frame ASAP - they give, or used to give, injections to injuries, which as we can all surmise is not with the player's health as the priority.
They are almost certainly right
The knee rarely gets damaged from an impact unless its severe and from the side
You could see from Neto and Neves injury they both landed at an angle and the knee buckled slightly sideways almost always resulting in strains or tears of the ligaments
With Neto obviously it was break,Neves apparently only a strain fortunately,i wouldnt be surprised to see him back after Easter tbh

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Saiss alongside Moutinho for me. I wouldn't even be against seeing Kilman at CM.

Such is the despair of our squad, and not, just please not seeing the sight of Mr Leander Backwards in midfield. Both Saiss and Kilman have made more of an impact in the final third than Dendoncker this season, and they have played at the back!

KBWWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We still have 3 midfielders in the first team squad to compete for (presently) 2 CM spots. None of them, in my opinion, match Neves for quality, but the quantity at least is there.

4/6 previous game we've played 3 in midfield (Leeds, Everton, Leicester, Spurs).

We've essentially lost what little tactical versatility within the squad that we have.

Saiss and Coady barely have the legs to move in one direction on the pitch, there's zero chance they're able to play midfield in the premier League.

We really shouldn't be in a position where we're relying on a 35 year old to be playing 90 minutes week in week out

Back
Top Bottom