Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

23/09/21 - Do you think we will go down?

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Following a chat with some chaps after the match yesterday, it got me wondering as to what the prevailing sense is from Wolves fans as to whether or not we will stay up.

Opinion was split amongst the guys I was talking to. The Bookies have us as 8th favourites to go down. We are on 3 points from 5 games.

Just curious to know if, at this point, you think we will go down. A simple Yes or No will suffice, to avoid the usual frenzy of negative nellies vs positive percies in the chat :)

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For me, it isn't as simple as "yes or no", so I will blatantly ignore your request to keep it simple. :D

Too early to say. We don't look dead-certs for relegation. But then, neither do we look completely safe. Injury luck will play a part - for us and most other teams, too. If Neto is back by year end and playing how he was pre-injury, and if Raul is back to full form by then, with Jonny to return soon after, then we should be safe for mid-table to 15th finish. However, that's a lot of "ifs" and what if someone else gets injured? Which they almost certainly will.

With Mosquera unfortunately injured, we haven't seen much new from last season. After our bright start this season, matches have been creeping towards looking very much like last season. Where we were also safe, but did get a lot of points at the start before the injuries (and terrible form) set in. It's been mentioned a lot of times, our last 20 or 30 matches form has been consistently "relegation battling" level. All being more or less equal to last season, presumably we are going to get much the same kind of results...especially if we start playing just like last season, which we seem to be.

Right now, we look certain to be around the bottom third of the table. But as to whether we will drop, for a "yes or no", needs another 5 matches or so to judge for a yes or no.

MasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No, I think we're far too good to go down. I'm still remaining positive that we'll have a decent season.

NJWolves69

Groupie
Reaction score
Too early too tell, but No. Too much talent + other teams looking far worse than us (Norwich, Burnley, Newcastle, Watford, even Leeds)

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ive voted no but without the usual confidence i have with a prediction
I think we have enough in the squad to get around 12th but equally could be in trouble by Christmas time and once down there it takes some getting out

Pintandkebab

Reaction score
I will cast my vote if out of Pre mod in about 2 weeks . Lose the next two or just get one point out of them and we could be in the bottom three and paddling in ****.

Stoichkov

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's something like 65-35 we stay up for me.

The biggest issue of all though is Fosun / Jeff's lack of football nous. Even if you're just a fan that's been around a few decades, you know that one, two, three 'not great' decisions can lead to things falling in like a house of cards. You have to work doubly hard early on to ensure things are tight and don't haemorrhage.

And I don't think we have done that. We're neither good enough in depth to take the next step up, nor battle-hardened or risk averse to prevent a collapse. You can already see Moutinho, Coady feeling it and the burden on Neves' shoulders is far too great. Relying on Raul, Fabio, Hwang given their various states of rehab / inexperience at Prem level is just plain bonkers.

It's worrying and not great planning at all by Fosun. Really surprised they haven't helped Bruno more.

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we only get three points from the next five games, then I’ll start preparing myself for a relegation dog-fight. Until then, all we’ve had is a **** start.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It would surprise me if we went down this season, though it is by no means unthinkable. This is a truly DISASTROUS situation when you consider where we were just a couple of years ago, finishing twice just outside the PL Top Six, in an FA Cup Semi-Final and in a Europa Cup Quarter Final. I would love to hear Jeff Shi explain how this has happened, but of course we never will, because he must know in his heart (unless he is stupid, which he obviously isn't) that his terrible decisions are one of the principal reasons we are where we are.

The Wolf In The North

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No, not this season. We have good players who will pull it together, and there's nothing too wrong that a couple of wins won't fix, in the short term.

Repeat the mistakes of the last couple of summers, though, and we will get relegated eventually, sooner rather than later. Our present trajectory is downward and needs arresting.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I voted yes, for the reasons I stated on the 'what's gone wrong' thread.

Playing well and losing coupled with playing badly and losing doesn't give me much confidence that we will avoid the big R!

Bacon Sandwich

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
As I posted elsewhere, for 35 minutes last night 6/1 for us to be relegated looked like the Bet of the Century. Then for 35 minutes 3/1 for the top half looked, "hmmm... not bad."

So much hinges on injuries and recruitment. We're not helped in that department because Jeff Shi simply shouldn't be running a football club. I watched Leeds - Newcastle and thought it was a poor quality game. And you look at Leeds and think, "they're an injury to Raphinha away from a relegation scrap."

But you look at us and you think, "If the old Raul doesn't come back." Or, "Supposing Neves gets injured?" Or "Supposing Boly and Kilman are both injured?"

People say, 'the current squad is easily good enough for mid-table.' Maybe so, but only if all our small squad stays fit and that is asking a lot. Make no mistake, if we don't get a win in the next two games we are in deep, deep ****.

And it all comes back to recruitment. I really have no words for the dislike I feel for Shi.

R

reanswolf

I voted Yes but I think this simply comes from within my Wolves DNA - to expect the worse, and to support a club that always self-inflicts self destruction etc. I was warning of key areas to strengthen after Seville and few believed me then, but if you stop progressing a distinct rot starts to set in - exactly what is happening.

But it is early days, so all is not yet lost. But part of the problem is that Wolves fans themselves are almost bi-polar, they are the best and most passionate fans in the world at times, but then they get incredibly stressed when things keep going wrong, and the moaning comes out of some of us. Which in turn dispirits the players.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I voted Yes but I think this simply comes from within my Wolves DNA - to expect the worse, and to support a club that always self-inflicts self destruction etc. I was warning of key areas to strengthen after Seville and few believed me then, but if you stop progressing a distinct rot starts to set in - exactly what is happening.

But it is early days, so all is not yet lost. But part of the problem is that Wolves fans themselves are almost bi-polar, they are the best and most passionate fans in the world at times, but then they get incredibly stressed when things keep going wrong, and the moaning comes out of some of us. Which in turn dispirits the players.
Can agree with that, because there has been so many moments where things looked great, should have been great and somehow Wolves have managed to find a way to **** it up. This feels like one of those moments currently and I can see why some people are just on there 'here we go again train,' not even to say I'm not, I am massively on it, and truly can't be motivated for another up and down rollercoaster.

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
Too early too tell, but No. Too much talent + other teams looking far worse than us (Norwich, Burnley, Newcastle, Watford, even Leeds)
It’s all to do with goalscorers .At present we don’t have an in form one.Burnley have Wood and Rodriguez, Newcastle have Wilson and Leeds have Bamford .
If any of them start firing they will be taken out of the equation.

NJWolves69

Groupie
Reaction score
It’s all to do with goalscorers .At present we don’t have an in form one.Burnley have Wood and Rodriguez, Newcastle have Wilson and Leeds have Bamford .
If any of them start firing they will be taken out of the equation.

....Couldn't you say the same for us?

GavW

Groupie
Reaction score
The first 35 last night was as bad as I've seen live for a long time. The 4-0 Burnley defeat on TV earlier this year was worse.

We looked wide open at the back couldn't pass to another Wolves shirt and nothing would stick up front.

I know we made 9 changes but with Coady, Boly, Kilman all in the back 3 and Neves and Donk in midfield you could say that's our best central defence and midfield.

If Alli and Gil hadn't have fallen over yards from goal on different occasions we'd have likely been 4-0 down and wouldn't have had any complaints.

We even had moans and groans for misplaced passes in the ground. Don't think I heard that at any point on Nuno's era.

The goal changed the whole atmosphere and from that point on we looked at least equal if not slightly better than a strong Spurs side. That's what makes it so difficult to tell regarding relegation which version is the real one of Bruno's Wolves?

oldgoldheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I voted yes but frankly the next two will either reinforce that view or make me change my mind. If we are on 7 points from 7 games then we will probably be able to scrape 17th-14th. If we lose one, especially lose both and we will really struggle. Our season would then be effectively 33 games. So, yes, but heavily caveated. I , of course, hope we stay up

Boss Hogg

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’ve voted yes; too many sob stories and hard luck stories attempting to cover up the fact that we can’t score, can’t defend and have bought poorly. The off field mistakes combined with poor on field performances will ultimately lead to a poisoned atmosphere

Black Coffee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nope the season isn't decided over 5 games barring the Brentford game there has been encouraging signs relegation fodder don't dominate games against the like of Spurs & Yanited or create as many chances as we did.

We will be fine I think we will end up 10th.

jonesy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m saying no for now however if we are miles off safety by the next tx window then it’s a real possibility. We need to move on our targets so they are ready to go 1st of January. Everything is stale at the club now a so a big fresh up would have done wonders for us....... it didn’t happen!! Bruno is a good manager but the players he has aren’t able to play the way he wants!!!

Jeff shi it’s in your hands now!!!

UEAwolf

Reaction score
No. I think Jimenez will come back into form and if Neto and Jonny recover from their injuries and rediscover their form, that's 3 of our best players back on the pitch and producing the goods.

I also think that Fosun will invest in January - particularly if we are still in and around the danger zone.

That said, whilst i am admittedly still hankering after Nuno - I am not as convinced as others seemingly are with Lage.

berwickwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've been a happy Clapper for over 40 years with the exception of the Saunders season but I think we are going down under the present coach. Weve played some great football and some appalling football but consistently we have failed to look like we can score. Jiminez is not the player he was, understandably, and we lack someone capable of scoring 20 goals. Traore has no end product. We need Neto back.

Sadly I think we will get sucked into a relegation battle and we don't have leaders on the pitch able to change things.

Elvis Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
DEFINITELY NO!!
Far too many talented players in our squad.
Very early days and I would certainly prefer to have a poor start to the season, than at the end.

Wolves ONLY Wolves!

Ogerp

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'll come back and place my vote after the Everton game as I think that will give a fairer picture.

Also to the poster(s) saying we need Neto back, as much as I love watching him play remember that in 79 appearances for us he has only actually scored 10 goals so he is not as prolific in front of goal as some may think.

R

reanswolf

I’ve voted yes; too many sob stories and hard luck stories attempting to cover up the fact that we can’t score, can’t defend and have bought poorly. The off field mistakes combined with poor on field performances will ultimately lead to a poisoned atmosphere
This is what they don;t seem to realise - push people to pay more affects how they feel, especially if promises are not kept too about strengthening and things start to go wrong. People's understanding and tolerance is much shorter.

NJWolves69

Groupie
Reaction score
I said we don’t have an in form one (for obvious reasons ) but equally as importantly a regular scoring back up
Right but you could say the same thing for the potential relegation teams I've mentioned. Vydra/Barnes/Rodriguez did not provide much for Burnley last season. Newcastle is screwed without Saint-Maximin. We could struggle scoring but so will those teams

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't see where our goals are coming from. It's largely down to how Raul does to be honest. If he starts scoring, we'll be ok. If he doesn't I think we will probably go down.

FJRWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
It's far too early to say with any certainty, unlikely imo considering other clubs who are going to be down that end of the table....so I'm voting no..... that's not to say I'm not concerned though.

Manic88

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What vote should I put if I think we’ll finish in the bottom three but will stay up when we say “excuse me we finished 7th a few years ago”?

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
Right but you could say the same thing for the potential relegation teams I've mentioned. Vydra/Barnes/Rodriguez did not provide much for Burnley last season. Newcastle is screwed without Saint-Maximin. We could struggle scoring but so will those teams
I don’t disagree but Newcastle also have Wilson.We have too much reliance on Raul returning to form but as we know Silva is unlikely to become a 10/15 scorer in the short term and Hwang is not a prolific scorer .
Beyond that whilst some will chip in with a few I do worry where our goals will come from.

RosehillWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bad transfer windows, money wasted , players can't score , poor decisions going against us , lack of options in squad , uninterested and apathetic owners

Nailed on

1972 i began

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I voted no....With 100% confidence....But Bruno has to visit the little man with a big ego and ask him politely....

Mr boss man my little cherub...I would like you to to to to get me NO not two but 4 top class players you promised me..preferably in January. :confused:

I love how these foreigners say to to to to.

USA Wolf

President, Jordan Graham Fan Club
Reaction score
No, but more so because there are at least three sides worse than us

Not panicking but come on, goals…you know?

Beeches wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
No. I think Jimenez will come back into form and if Neto and Jonny recover from their injuries and rediscover their form, that's 3 of our best players back on the pitch and producing the goods.

I also think that Fosun will invest in January - particularly if we are still in and around the danger zone.

That said, whilst i am admittedly still hankering after Nuno - I am not as convinced as others seemingly are with Lage.
Ultimately i hope our plight does not rest on the January transfer window.
I have zero confidence we would recruit what's required.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bad transfer windows, money wasted , players can't score , poor decisions going against us , lack of options in squad , uninterested and apathetic owners

Nailed on
We are obviously not nailed on to go down. Nor are we odds on to stay up. This is why I prefer no comments, so we don't have to be subjected to the same old from the same old - positive or negative

Back
Top Bottom