Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

January 2024 transfer window thread.

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We are light at the back and up front, which may be fine but may also leave us very vulnerable depending on injuries, particularly if we have a cup run. I get that 'it's hard doing business in January, we sign the right player not any player, we won't overpay' etc are all very valid justifications, and that we are extremely risk averse due to FFP, but I still feel a bit sorry for O'Neil that he's not getting what he needs (despite trimming the last bit of fat in the squad) through no fault of his own. It potentially reflects on his own reputation as people will only remember that he finished X in the table, not that his hands were very much tied, in no small part because the the CEO blew a load of money on vanity signings then had to blow a load more to stay up when it went tits.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He said he was disappointed, but he didn't say who he was disappointed with, did he? You assumed that it was the club, to suit your agenda.
That's a minor issue but I would presume he's disappointed with the club as he has made it perfectly clear the issue is down to finances.

But anyway, the main point. You're saying we don't need Sasa and that we shouldn't be demanding a forward.

Again, your opinion, but as I keep repeating, I'm echoing O'Neil, but you're criticising me.

However, as my opinion is the same as O'Neil's, I think it's funny you're effectively telling our manager he's wrong about the state of his squad and Sasa.

StraightToPopworld

Reaction score
Think we’re playing a great hand. Come the final days of the window they’ll be plenty of player’s available with the current ‘obligation to buy’ magically removed, as clubs look to get wages off the books. We’re in a great position with no need to panic.

Oliwolf44

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
i actually disagree with GONs assessment that we shouldnt bring anyone in if they dont challenge the team quality. We need cover up top and someone who wont be playing each week but useful if an injury to cunha, hwang or neto.
The excuse that we must sign the right player is a tried and tested excuse and was used last time.

No matter who we bring in we finish outside europe and above relegation however, this is a safety net to stop us being completely light up top.
People often like to bring up that every position is worth £3mil. Well we would lose more than a few spots if our strikers got injured and we had nobody to cover so it would make the loan cover worth it.

Again, maybe a tactic to reduce price and lets see at the end of the window but this excuse has been used before and then weve ended up emptyhanded

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
well we have to next thursday, i was told that compton very busy hobbs etc recruitment team,

but equally that GON and teams focus was solely on west brom first then manure

Wolves have suffered a setback in their pursuit of a striker signing this month, with boss Gary O’Neil revealing targets have been ruled out on financial grounds.

O’Neil is keen to add a centre forward to his ranks after Sasa Kalajdzic and Fabio Silva left on loan. But with a week remaining in the transfer window, O’Neil hinted strongly today the chances of adding a forward have receded in recent days:

“Me, (sporting director) Matt Hobbs and the recruitment team have done an awful lot of work on a couple of options and, after a meeting yesterday, it looks like they're not going to be doable financially for us at this point. So we are back to looking at other options that we might be able to do.

“Obviously that's disappointing, firstly, because we felt like we were making some headway on a couple but it looks like they're not going to be doable to us.”

O’Neil will get leading scorer Hwang Hee-chan back from Asian Cup duty at some point next month with the South Korean having played as a makeshift No.9 for much of this season.

But with Kalajdzic and Silva joining Eintracht Frankfurt and Rangers respectively, teenager Nathan Fraser is currently O’Neil’s only recognised central striker with record signing Matheus Cunha having been reinvented as a wide player.

O’Neil insisted he is relaxed about the possibility of no additions:

“I don't want it to be seen as a negative because the group that we have has given us so much so far and I’m delighted to keep working with them.

“I'm not just going to sign anybody, it's not going to be like ‘we need a nine, so we'll take whatever we can get."

“We need to take people that deserve the opportunity to play for Wolves.

“January's tricky, prices are sometimes inflated and people don't want to lose their good players.

“So if we can't find ones that help us and can't find ones that I think are credible to play for Wolverhampton Wanderers, then we will go with what we've got, which is fine.”
Thats if he doesnt think they are good enough, thats for GON and GON himself they wont sign, possibility of no additions, they are working on it, and its looks like they arent, that doesnt mean completely no chance, i guess if peoples finances move before thursday we make a move.

The fact he said we were making headway on a couple also is interesting

Wolowolf6

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
How's everyone doing on Wolves Transfer Window Bingo?

I just ticked off "moving to Plan B" and "looking at other options". Unfortunately, I haven't been able to cross off "the solutions are within" since Nuno left :(

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Understandable

Not ideal - but clearly we should have more than enough to stay up, and they ain’t going to bust a gut to get Europe , which is a shame as we are pretty close IMO and with others in European competitions , we would have a great chance

I don’t understand how we can’t find a decent striker from South America who is good value though .

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Understandable

Not ideal - but clearly we should have more than enough to stay up, and they ain’t going to bust a gut to get Europe , which is a shame as we are pretty close IMO and with others in European competitions , we would have a great chance

I don’t understand how we can’t find a decent striker from South America who is good value though .
They are solely focused on value and dont feel the risk in the inflated values is worth it.

Make the profit this year, rebuild next year (go big then) GON had a brief get 17th or above, hes hitting it and more.

Gutting for us fans, but neto is back if we get two wins in the next two games how good are we looking!

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Christ on a bike. It couldn't have been made more plain that we were on a strict budget in this window and would have to either rely on loans or buy to sell. What lies do you think the club have told? Did you honestly believe after everything that's been said we could or would be able to spend £30m+ on a striker?
Why are we even looking at Ings and Broja if on a tight budget. These guys are expensive. What the **** are we buying off Chelsea and West Ham

My real gripe is we have spent all this window sending players out and no time getting anyone in.
Proper recruiting and researching means we never have to buy off Premier League teams.

Last edited:

Ginger Chimp

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
well we have to next thursday, i was told that compton very busy hobbs etc recruitment team,

but equally that GON and teams focus was solely on west brom first then manure

Wolves have suffered a setback in their pursuit of a striker signing this month, with boss Gary O’Neil revealing targets have been ruled out on financial grounds.

O’Neil is keen to add a centre forward to his ranks after Sasa Kalajdzic and Fabio Silva left on loan. But with a week remaining in the transfer window, O’Neil hinted strongly today the chances of adding a forward have receded in recent days:

“Me, (sporting director) Matt Hobbs and the recruitment team have done an awful lot of work on a couple of options and, after a meeting yesterday, it looks like they're not going to be doable financially for us at this point. So we are back to looking at other options that we might be able to do.

“Obviously that's disappointing, firstly, because we felt like we were making some headway on a couple but it looks like they're not going to be doable to us.”

O’Neil will get leading scorer Hwang Hee-chan back from Asian Cup duty at some point next month with the South Korean having played as a makeshift No.9 for much of this season.

But with Kalajdzic and Silva joining Eintracht Frankfurt and Rangers respectively, teenager Nathan Fraser is currently O’Neil’s only recognised central striker with record signing Matheus Cunha having been reinvented as a wide player.

O’Neil insisted he is relaxed about the possibility of no additions:

“I don't want it to be seen as a negative because the group that we have has given us so much so far and I’m delighted to keep working with them.

“I'm not just going to sign anybody, it's not going to be like ‘we need a nine, so we'll take whatever we can get."

“We need to take people that deserve the opportunity to play for Wolves.

“January's tricky, prices are sometimes inflated and people don't want to lose their good players.

“So if we can't find ones that help us and can't find ones that I think are credible to play for Wolverhampton Wanderers, then we will go with what we've got, which is fine.”
Much less concerning re: GON’s thoughts and feelings.

We regroup and move on.

(what else can we (the fans) do?)

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Understandable

At least 6 of the last 16 in the FA Cup will be from the Championship or below.

Arsenal are out. One of Chelsea/Villa will be out. One of Spurs/Man City will be out. Newcastle could go out.

We're three points off Europe.

This should have been a very exciting period to be a Wolves fan. It really could have been a memorable season. Instead, as of now, we've decided to make our small squad worse.

For the record, I thought we'd be battling to stay up this season. I have us as the second biggest overachievers in the league after Villa, but just because we're doing incredibly well doesn't mean we shouldn't try to kick-on.

'Dreaming is for free'.

brianm

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Might there also be an aspect of other clubs raising their prices because they don't want to help Wolves potentially finish above them?

It would take very good injury luck, but....look, when wolves go down a goal, in my gut I think "we can go get one now" and not "oh Lord it's probably over" and that's a sign I think this team is good on a gut level.

Could wolves finish above Chelsea? Absolutely. West Ham? They would need a little downturn, but maybe!

Jawwfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Seems as if he's referring to Broja and Chelsea want 45 million, it's ridiculous and we shouldn't be paying that under any circumstances. Those sort of signings have resulted in Evertons difficulties.

It's likely to be the quietest January transfer window possibly ever? I'm sure I saw on sky that £780 million was spent last January it's currently below £40 million Unless things pick up the next few days I doubt many clubs will be doing any business.

It may of course change in the last few days but I think most clubs are sailing close to the FFP line.

Rabid Wolf

Reaction score
How's everyone doing on Wolves Transfer Window Bingo?

I just ticked off "moving to Plan B" and "looking at other options". Unfortunately, I haven't been able to cross off "the solutions are within" since Nuno left :(
Hobbs said this afew weeks ago in his presser.

“Let’s focus on the players we’ve have in the building. Gary has spoken about developing the players that are here and I think all of them have improved under him, and that will continue to be the case. A lot of the time solutions lie within, but if we can help, we of course will.”

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
moscardo has took ekitike's number - 44. Its a matter of time, but eintracts 20m didnt get job done, i wonder if a loan with option would

PSG refuses Frankfurt's first offer for Hugo Ekitike Loan with a purchase option of around 20M € bonus included
The striker and Eintracht agree on the main lines of the contract
Ekitike agreed to lower his salary
One week left

Wolves in Limerick

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This should have been a very exciting period to be a Wolves fan. It really could have been a memorable season. Instead, as of now, we've decided to make our small squad worse.
Correction, whatever happens during this window, it remains a very exciting season to be a Wolves fan, we are playing some wonderful football. I for one will certainly remember this season for many years to come. UTW.

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As there is only a week left in what has to be the slowest winter period window we have ever seen for all clubs, I reckon Sky should finish off at midnight next Thursday with that legendary critic Comic Book Guy from The Simpsons coming on and using his catchphrase.

Worst transfer window for interesting deals ever !!!!!!

SmiffyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hopefully this is a bluff . If not then why are other clubs not having to make as many sales like with dud with Nunes and Neves ?. Appreciate FFP but we cleared our decks funny now that others are not . So either 16 odd teams need fire sales which I am not seeing. Without investment in the team I think we will drift and bob about in the lower part of the league until one day your luck runs out .

Just my opinion but we did our selling in the summer . If we can't afford players now then come the summer will be the same BS .

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Steaming pant wetters ! We are four points off a European place , we got there without Sasa or Silva . What’s to worry about ?
No point thinking logically. If we miss out on Europe it’s purely down to letting two players go out on loan who weren’t playing!

They’re all liars and cheats, Fosun out!

tonto

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why are we even looking at Ings and Broja if on a tight budget. These guys are expensive. What the **** are we buying off Chelsea and West Ham

My real gripe is we have spent all this window sending players out and no time getting anyone in.
Proper recruiting and researching means we never have to buy off Premier League teams.
The players going out haven’t been used much the wages saved are a big saving every penny counts , like numerous others have said the bargains will come when everyone needs to sell to get there accounts in order and can’t find buyers, remember the phrase Fire Sale

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Correction, whatever happens during this window, it remains a very exciting season to be a Wolves fan, we are playing some wonderful football. I for one will certainly remember this season for many years to come. UTW.

I'm not sure you would if we start losing regularly and can't score due to injuries to our forwards. Let's hope that doesn't get tested.

brianm

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Hopefully this is a bluff . If not then why are other clubs not having to make as many sales like with dud with Nunes and Neves ?. Appreciate FFP but we cleared our decks funny now that others are not . So either 16 odd teams need fire sales which I am not seeing. Without investment in the team I think we will drift and bob about in the lower part of the league until one day your luck runs out .

Just my opinion but we did our selling in the summer . If we can't afford players now then come the summer will be the same BS .
Game of musical chairs. Music stopped and Wolves grabbed a seat.

Others will not be so lucky.

Just a bit of patience now.

tonto

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
At least 6 of the last 16 in the FA Cup will be from the Championship or below.

Arsenal are out. One of Chelsea/Villa will be out. One of Spurs/Man City will be out. Newcastle could go out.

We're three points off Europe.

For the record, I thought we'd be battling to stay up this season. I have us as the second biggest overachievers in the league after Villa, but just because we're doing incredibly well doesn't mean we shouldn't try to kick-on.

'Dreaming is for free'.
Why is it not still exciting?

tonto

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes but how many players have Wolves loaned out or transferred from one club to another this month . It doesnt show up here but business has been done ALL OUTWARDS !!
How many of those have played much or any ??

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why is it not still exciting?

Because, in my opinion, we clearly don't have a squad equipped to compete.

I suppose the FA Cup could still work out as it's the luck of the draw and potentially only three wins to Wembley.

However, I think it's unrealistic to think our current attacking options will sustain this level due to the demands we're placing on them - and that's if they stay fit.

As I said earlier, I see real comparisons to 2022.

We were on course to challenge for Europe. We gave Traore to Barcelona, making our squad weaker, bringing nobody of note in. And we picked up 17 points from 17 games to finish in mid-table.

I think this could be similar, albeit with a higher points return.

RedFlagWolf

Reaction score
That's a minor issue but I would presume he's disappointed with the club as he has made it perfectly clear the issue is down to finances.

But anyway, the main point. You're saying we don't need Sasa and that we shouldn't be demanding a forward.

Again, your opinion, but as I keep repeating, I'm echoing O'Neil, but you're criticising me.

However, as my opinion is the same as O'Neil's, I think it's funny you're effectively telling our manager he's wrong about the state of his squad and Sasa.
I'm a observer of Mol Mix rather than a frequent poster but wanted to respond to your previous post as I believe it is (from my perspective) mis-leading.

I think your 'presumption' is flawed and wrong.. GON has been consistent in every interview I have seen that he was acutely aware of the financial situation and FFP with Wolves. If there is any 'disappointment' I would think it is more likely to do with inflated prices from clubs and/or player demands than anything inflicted on him by the club.

The evidence over recent weeks would seem to suggest that GON feels we don't need Sasa. This doesn't mean that we shouldn't be looking for a forward....just not 'any old forward'

I don't think you are accurately 'echoing' O'Neill. Its your interpretation which is open to scrutiny, debate and ultimately respectful disagreement.

I don't think your opinion is the same as O'Neill's and I don't think the poster is telling GON that he is wrong.

tonto

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Because, in my opinion, we clearly don't have a squad equipped to compete.

I suppose the FA Cup could still work out as it's the luck of the draw and potentially only three wins to Wembley.

However, I think it's unrealistic to think our current attacking options will sustain this level due to the demands we're placing on them - and that's if they stay fit.

As I said earlier, I see real comparisons to 2022.

We were on course to challenge for Europe. We gave Traore to Barcelona, making our squad weaker. And we picked up 17 points from 17 games to finish in mid-table.

I think this could be similar, albeit with a higher points return.
How have we weakened the squad by getting players off the wage bill who were never going to contribute, still time to strengthen using their wages

Back
Top Bottom