Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

January 2024 transfer window thread.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Selling teams inflating prices (Chelsea quoting 45M when the original price was 35M)
With all due respect it's Dave Azzopardi who has said this.

I don't want to sign him at this price but if Wolves, Fulham or anyone put down £30m for Broja I'm very confident it would be accepted.

Point is Wolves shouldn't be in a situation a week before the deadline where they seemingly don't know who they can afford.

TelfordWolf

Reaction score
Hmmm not great that. Shouldn't have let Fabio or Sasa go then if it's unlikely we'd bring someone in or or if our finances are that ****ed.
I think it's a combination of poor finances but costly preferred options. Broja - big fee, Ings - huge wage, Ekiteke - big wage, Adams - free in 6 months.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We are going to be left short in attack now by the looks of it. Not ideal at all. A knock or two to players in this area and it will be untested kids relied on and even younger lads on the bench. Disappointing as the season is going well now and could be derailed by even just one or two knocks to players.

Starsky

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I reckon we may go back in for Dia. Is he fit again now?

Seems the only sensible price for any of our supposed targets.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Also disappointed we dont appear to be utilising the South American market in this window like we did with Gomes. I thought we were heading a lot more in that direction but no real links with any South American players in this window or talk of us using this market, which Brighton do nearly every window so effectively.

In some ways I would prefer a Gomes style signing as a striker, to some of the obvious names linked.
we don’t have any money to spend but will expect us to use it going forward.

SWest Wolf

Groupie
Reaction score
With all due respect it's Dave Azzopardi who has said this.

I don't want to sign him at this price but if Wolves, Fulham or anyone put down £30m for Broja I'm very confident it would be accepted.

Point is Wolves shouldn't be in a situation a week before the deadline where they seemingly don't know who they can afford.
We probably do now what we can afford. Just maybe the other club involved have increased the price?

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Poor Gaz doesn't realise how it works here, fell for the old trick of believing the liars. One of Sasa and Fabio should still be at the club.
Christ on a bike. It couldn't have been made more plain that we were on a strict budget in this window and would have to either rely on loans or buy to sell. What lies do you think the club have told? Did you honestly believe after everything that's been said we could or would be able to spend £30m+ on a striker?

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why are you only mentioning Broja? If they want £45m walk away, obviously. He said options, so not just Broja.

On January 24th we should not be in a situation where we don't know what our budget is, which is what we've done. It's amateur stuff.

And, the answer to what we're supposed to do is keep Sasa or Fabio until the replacement came in. Pretty simple and how most normal clubs operate.
Sasa and Silva were hardly playing. Of course we know what our budget is, the difference is that other clubs want more than we can afford or want to pay. We don't need to spend £45m on a forward like we did last January, we can afford to wait until the summer for better options to arise.

Bostin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Surely we knew where we were financially before going for these players and where they would be financially? Very disappointing.

I wouldn't take it at face value, he's playing the game in the media.

I hope, anyway!

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Christ on a bike. It couldn't have been made more plain that we were on a strict budget in this window and would have to either rely on loans or buy to sell. What lies do you think the club have told? Did you honestly believe after everything that's been said we could or would be able to spend £30m+ on a striker?
Who asked for £30m?

Why on earth do all you people who take great offence to any criticism of Wolves always lie. I do not want us to spend £30m on a striker.

I would have been perfectly happy keeping one of Fabio or Sasa and going through until May. So please, please, please stop making out like I want us to spend all the time. I don't and it's just your way of moaning about fans.

I want us to sign a replacement for ONE of the two players we let go.

O'Neil was 'very confident' that we would sign a player on Monday. Now we can't afford to sign the players he wanted.

Why has that changed? It would seem obvious that the goalposts have been moved, and our recruitment team and manager have wasted all their time looking at players. It's ridiculous.

Wolves4Life85

Groupie
Reaction score
We won't sign anyone, just us as always to go get rid of players and be left short.. oh well at least we Fraser to come on for the last 5/10 mins, can't wait

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He was convinced that the 'FFP excuse' was a lie and the owners didn't want to spend in the summer. Looking for a stick to beat the owners with.

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sasa and Silva were hardly playing. Of course we know what our budget is, the difference is that other clubs want more than we can afford or want to pay. We don't need to spend £45m on a forward like we did last January, we can afford to wait until the summer for better options to arise.
I agree. Sasa and Silva are not good enough to get in the team so it was the right decision to loan them out. We have come this far with Hwang, Cunha, Neto and Bellegarde, and we can now add Fraser to the bench. We are safe from relegation and can play out the next 3.5 months with what we have.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

We can afford to in what sense? We won't get relegated. Great.

Why aren't we trying to improve? They're wasting a season of incredible potential. We could actually reach the FA Cup semi-final as a minimum without too much luck being required. We are 3 points off 7th and our only natural striker is an 18-y/o.

StaffordWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We will have better options and more financial freedom in the summer anyway.

In a summer where a good deal of prem clubs will need to sell, we should be in a position to strengthen. I don't mind seeing the season out as we are and preparing for a big next season in the summer market.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It'was always going to be a difficult assignment in January bringing in a forward when you had to watch the budget...almost impossible

O'Neil didn't want Fabio n Sasa so neither would have made a blind bit of difference..

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We can afford to in what sense? We won't get relegated. Great.

Why aren't we trying to improve? They're wasting a season of incredible potential. We could actually reach the FA Cup semi-final as a minimum without too much luck being required. We are 3 points off 7th and our only natural striker is an 18-y/o.
Neither of them were playing a great deal of minutes. Silva clearly was out of favour and Sasa didn't want to be here. Everyone wants Fraser to stay here and get opportunities, until it becomes a reality. Now is the perfect time to see if he can handle playing at this level.

If the right player presents itself at the right price, I would bet the club wouldn't hesitate to do it. Ekitike is clinging on for a bigger club to come in for him (which is a terrible sign), and Chelsea want someone to buy them out of their FFP problems. We are under no pressure to overpay and limit ourselves in the summer again.

rincewind

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Of course it could be as simple as the club know the finances perfectly well but were negotiating in the hope of reaching a figure we can accept. Or maybe Jonny cost more than expected. Or other issues. Doesn't have to be incompetence or lies.

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Neither of them were playing a great deal of minutes. Silva clearly was out of favour and Sasa didn't want to be here. Everyone wants Fraser to stay here and get opportunities, until it becomes a reality. Now is the perfect time to see if he can handle playing at this level.

If the right player presents itself at the right price, I would bet the club wouldn't hesitate to do it. Ekitike is clinging on for a bigger club to come in for him (which is a terrible sign), and Chelsea want someone to buy them out of their FFP problems. We are under no pressure to overpay and limit ourselves in the summer again.
There’s lots of players who aren’t getting many minutes though, but that is what a squad is for. GON clearly wants a striker, I still think we will get one.

Superted

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
It'll just be the selling/parent clubs aren't happy with what we're offering. I'm sure we know what funds we have available and I'm sure we had a list of targets that we thought may have been achieveable but if we can't agree a deal for any of the players we want at a price we think is fair then we've no choice but to walk away.

Maybe something will come up at the 11th hour if there's been no other movement but I'm glad we're not prepared to waste money if we don't think the deal is right for us.

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Said at the start we don't need anyone if the right option doesn't happen and nothing has changed. Sasa and silva barely played so there's nothing wrong with the first team and they weren't being used as subs. We're also no longer reliant on one star player.

We do need options but the summer is the right time financially and marketwise.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

You've got no ambition for Wolves and you're happy to do nothing.

They weren't getting minutes because players stayed fit. We're a Cunha or Hwang injury from being in real trouble, and I don't think O'Neil would start Fraser.

To me, this is very similar to the 2022 January window where we shot ourselves in the foot for no reason by giving Traore away to Barcelona.

Our season derailed after that. We got 17 points from 17 games.

We were 8th in the table, 4 points off the Champions League with a game in hand after beating Brentford in January.

I'm not saying we would've made Europe that year, but we had no ambition, we let a key player leave for nothing and we tailed off.

Now, I'm not saying we'll make Europe, but if we don't sign a striker after letting two leave, we're not even trying, and I expect our season to become nothing.

Can't we at least try on our restricted budget? Is it too much to ask to have a natural striker at the club beyond an 18-year-old who Shrewsbury want to sign?

Obviously I hope I'm wrong but it's far too much of a burden on Hwang/Cunha/Neto.

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
There’s lots of players who aren’t getting many minutes though, but that is what a squad is for. GON clearly wants a striker, I still think we will get one.
I don’t think we will
Chelsea want too much for Borja and will only want an obligation to buy
Etikite seems to want better than wolves
Adams staying at Southampton they wouldn’t loan him anyway
Ings a possibility but again would West Ham agree to a loan?

Zico

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Said at the start we don't need anyone if the right option doesn't happen and nothing has changed. Sasa and silva barely played so there's nothing wrong with the first team and they weren't being used as subs. We're also no longer reliant on one star player.

We do need options but the summer is the right time financially and marketwise.
Absolutely. Some on here do love an excuse for a bit of hysteria, there's not been much call for it lately.

Back
Top Bottom