Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Nathan Collins

Reaction score
It felt the booing was in jest tbh and mainly because he scored.
He was laughing about it whilst by the corner flag near the south bank, then applauded them (not sarcastically either, more apologetically)

Wagstaffe Was Magic

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Doesn't deserve booing, but I'm still surprised people can't see he isn't good enough to be a premier league defender. He is all over the shop, and never where he needs to be. Thanks for the attitude and effort, mate. Unfortunately that ain't all you need to be a top defender.
Says that well known ace football scout WolfinSheepsclothing

Mark Rankines Lovechild

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He left because the manager got rid of him, Hobbs didn't want him to leave and Nathan didn't want to leave. He was a player who was always decent to the fans.

Not saying he wasn't but personally, I wouldn't have taken him above any of our centre backs that played last night. Typical, big stopper that boots it anywhere. Fair play to him but just dont think he is that great

glorybox

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Booing seems to be commonplace now.

Remember being shocked at Wembley a couple of years ago when a lot of the crowd booed the Swiss national anthem and player announcements. It was a friendly.

Bizarre behavior.

Booing seems to be commonplace now.

Remember being shocked at Wembley a couple of years ago when a lot of the crowd booed the Swiss national anthem and player announcements. It was a friendly.

Bizarre behavior.
Must be a Nazi gold thing.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
God forbid we get into another 'the last manager' argument, but although I quite like Collins as a footballer and my comments about him before were of the much more important human being angle, we were right to sell him on the basis that we wanted to play a 4. He hardly played in the second half of last season and wouldn't have played in this one if we'd stuck with a back 4.

DJLWolf

Reaction score
The lads 22 and played 60 premier league games, I’d say he is a premier league defender.
Half a season for Burnley in a team that got relegated.

Half a season for Wolves in a bottom of the league team.

Half a season for Brentford who are 5th from bottom and in a real relegation scrap.

Got nothing against the lad, but context required.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Half a season for Burnley in a team that got relegated.

Half a season for Wolves in a bottom of the league team.

Half a season for Brentford who are 5th from bottom and in a real relegation scrap.

Got nothing against the lad, but context required.
Yet he’s still a 22 year old kid with 60 premier league games under his belt. Toti is 3 years older and played half the amount of games, he played similar amount last season in a team that flirted relegation, is he not premier league level either?

Only time will tell but I wouldn’t be surprised at all if Collins doesn’t end up with 250-300 premier league appearances.

DJLWolf

Reaction score
Yet he’s still a 22 year old kid with 60 premier league games under his belt. Toti is 3 years older and played half the amount of games, he played similar amount last season in a team that flirted relegation, is he not premier league level either?

Only time will tell but I wouldn’t be surprised at all if Collins doesn’t end up with 250-300 premier league appearances.

Toti is also playing in a team that's currently mid table, which Collins hasn't as yet managed to achieve, despite having more opportunity to do so than Toti.

Whether Collins goes on to be a consistent Premier league defender throughout his career remains to be seen and if your opinion is that he will, then fair enough.Good luck to the lad.

What isn't opinion however is that he has consistently over 3 seasons been part of relegated, or relegation threatened teams, committed a shocking and needless handball in the final game that sealed Burnley's fate and was firmly dropped from the wolves team that improved dramatically in the second half of last season to avoid relegation.

Of course this could all be coincidental and meaningless statistics, it's up to individuals to interpret it how they will!

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Toti is also playing in a team that's currently mid table, which Collins hasn't as yet managed to achieve, despite having more opportunity to do so than Toti.

Whether Collins goes on to be a consistent Premier league defender throughout his career remains to be seen and if your opinion is that he will, then fair enough.Good luck to the lad.

What isn't opinion however is that he has consistently over 3 seasons been part of relegated, or relegation threatened teams, committed a shocking and needless handball in the final game that sealed Burnley's fate and was firmly dropped from the wolves team that improved dramatically in the second half of last season to avoid relegation.

Of course this could all be coincidental and meaningless statistics, it's up to individuals to interpret it how they will!
Tarring Collins because a club isn’t successful is beyond ridiculous. By that measure, Vallejo must be one of the Worlds greatest defenders…Superman or Captain America level of defender

DJLWolf

Reaction score
Tarring Collins because a club isn’t successful is beyond ridiculous. By that measure, Vallejo must be one of the Worlds greatest defenders…Superman or Captain America level of defender

I happen to think it isn't ridiculous, but I have also based my opinion on him because of his general level of performance in a Wolves shirt (although he played pretty well for us about 3 weeks ago).

There is a reason Collins has been passed around teams at the lower end of the league.

mroli74

Reaction score
Brentford would also likely be MUCH higher up the league had they not lost their two top strikers in Toney and Mbuemo. If you took Cunha and Hwang out of the Wolves line up, we'd be much lower in the league as well.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

He got relegated along with Ben Mee and Tarkowski, does that make them championship level defenders?

Being dropped last season here doesn’t mean a lot. Moutinho, neves, Nunes, Traore and Raul all got dropped by JL last season as well.

Bossworld

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yeah I'm sure it's all they've been talking about on Brentford's training ground for weeks. They've been permanently refreshing the thread and displaying it on all their screens.

A player scoring against his former club isn't exactly something new is it?
Hold your horses pal, and scroll back up the chain of quotes. It ain't me that needed an explanation for the concept of tempting fate. Not that I believe it has any causal effect, for the record.

Last edited:

DJLWolf

Reaction score
He got relegated along with Ben Mee and Tarkowski, does that make them championship level defenders?

Being dropped last season here doesn’t mean a lot. Moutinho, neves, Nunes, Traore and Raul all got dropped by JL last season as well.

Mee got injured and Collins replaced him but I take your point.As far as the wolves players you mentioned, mouts got to the point where he needed a walking stick and the rest were rotated in reality.Collins was firmly dropped and wasn't really picked again for any meaningful fixture because lopetegui presumably concluded that he couldn't be trusted not to pull a clanger (like the 3 he pulled against us).

I don't get the fuss surrounding Collins to be honest or why some fans are so sensitive about him. He played a handful of games for us, did ok in some, didn't do well in others, got dropped and moved on.End of story.

Good luck to the lad but hardly a travesty he moved on and there's a reason that no club bigger than the mighty Brentford were in for him.

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We've been right *******s at times in the past, throughout my time going. But the boos only came when he scored, and only from S1/2 I think. I hope he knows this was a very important game for us, and it was just a few in that area, and it was only after he scored.

I quite like him, he seems like a sound lad, a lower PL level centre back at the moment with the potential maybe to be playing at a slightly higher level in 5 or 6 years... albeit no Paolo Maldini.

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not saying he wasn't but personally, I wouldn't have taken him above any of our centre backs that played last night. Typical, big stopper that boots it anywhere. Fair play to him but just dont think he is that great
I like Toti's attitude but I'd take Collins over him. But then no one was offering loadsa money for Toti! Time will tell who's the better player.

Streathamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I think the last para is spot on.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Says that well known ace football scout WolfinSheepsclothing
If he wasn’t Irish, you wouldn’t be saying anything be honest!!!!

As for Collins, meh.
He’s ok, i don’t think he’s brilliant or as bad as some made out at times.
Good business when needed and I don’t think he’s lost anything by bringing Bueno in.
a small footnote in our history and that’s it.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’ve kind of changed my opinion on Collins. When we sold him I thought we had sold the wrong one and that he would go on to prove us wrong as early as this season (seemed the perfect fit for Brentford). My Brentford mate likens him to a potential Shawcross type player when he gets a few years under his belt; at the moment he doesn’t rate him as his feet and brain are too slow.

He will spend most of his career in the PL though, I reckon, just not for a team challenging at the top.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Mee got injured and Collins replaced him but I take your point.As far as the wolves players you mentioned, mouts got to the point where he needed a walking stick and the rest were rotated in reality.Collins was firmly dropped and wasn't really picked again for any meaningful fixture because lopetegui presumably concluded that he couldn't be trusted not to pull a clanger (like the 3 he pulled against us).

I don't get the fuss surrounding Collins to be honest or why some fans are so sensitive about him. He played a handful of games for us, did ok in some, didn't do well in others, got dropped and moved on.End of story.

Good luck to the lad but hardly a travesty he moved on and there's a reason that no club bigger than the mighty Brentford were in for him.
To be fair if you go back to my first comment on this thread, I was merely responding to a poster saying he’s not a premier league player when the statistics prove he is (I mean even to be the most pedantic person ever, he’s literally in the premier league now so ergo that makes him a premier league player by default).

I’ve no issue with him leaving, it didn’t overly bother me at the time (though at the time I’d have taken the increase supposed cash from Napoli for Kilman) just think the lads getting some fairly unjust criticism

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I feel sorry for Colins. He is a lad with a great deal of potential but is being pinged around on large fees that reduce people’s patience on a very young defender.

Defenders don’t hit their prime till they are older than he is now.

With the right coaches and development plan, he will be a very good prem defender. He is just learning and sadly he is doing it in the hardest and least forgiving league in football.

I want him to do well against anyone, but against wolves if he could routinely have stinkers that would be appreciated hahaha

mroli74

Reaction score
It was really interesting seeing how the players shook hands at the start of the game. Nothing much from Neto, but nice embrace from Cuna. Kilman pretty functional, as was Dawson, but Semedo And Ait Nouri warmer

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He looks a solid player next to Ben Mee who is huge for Brentford. Our Dawson type of player. To guide others. He’s not getting any younger and Toney is off. Hopefully last season we see brentford

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
He was ok, but that’s it. Several times the ref saved him by blowing for soft fouls and was covered by his team mates. Not spectacular and I’m still not disappointed he was sold tbh.
Agree, think he’s a bit of a bluffer. Twice yesterday he played his teammate into trouble with an awful pass then waved at them when they lost the ball. I’d much rather have Santi Bueno and £13m in the bank.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Agree, think he’s a bit of a bluffer. Twice yesterday he played his teammate into trouble with an awful pass then waved at them when they lost the ball. I’d much rather have Santi Bueno and £13m in the bank.

The lad is young and still learning how to be a cb in the most physically and technically demanding league in the world in a position that he won’t hit his expected peak for some time.

Wolves and Brentford both took massive leaps of faith on potential, but it is a massive risk!

In the ages of FFP, you are bang on with your last sentance, you just cannot take these types of tens of millions pound transfer gambles very often if you are in the mid table area and defo not when in the lower end of the league.

The new state of football transfer fees and money available now FFP is seeing fines, mean his transfer is now an even bigger gamble for Brentford at this stage of his career

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
The lad is young and still learning how to be a cb in the most physically and technically demanding league in the world in a position that he won’t hit his expected peak for some time.

Wolves and Brentford both took massive leaps of faith on potential, but it is a massive risk!

In the ages of FFP, you are bang on with your last sentance, you just cannot take these types of tens of millions pound transfer gambles very often if you are in the mid table area and defo not when in the lower end of the league.

The new state of football transfer fees and money available now FFP is seeing fines, mean his transfer is now an even bigger gamble for Brentford at this stage of his career
I agree. Us paying £15m for him was a big gamble and one we probably didn’t need to do. Brentford paying £23m is crazy.

Dorbelflunk

Reaction score
Mix (and other forums, I'd assume) don't half look at times like jilted lovers trying to convince themselves that the person who's left them isn't that attractive/good. Biggest example: Jota.

Collins will have a decent career in the mid to lower half of the league. We bought him for a lot, then sold him for a bit more. No harm done and much needed funds brought in. Premier league teams aren't in the habit of being duped: if he was a duff he'd be playing in the SPL or lower division.

BridgnorthWolf Inc

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Collins strikes me as a really good bloke.
Agreed, very respectful and was always one of the last off the pitch thanking the fans for the support. Absolutely the type of character that I'm proud to have at our club, unfortunately it never quite worked out for him as a player.

SilverstoneWolf

Reaction score
Agreed, very respectful and was always one of the last off the pitch thanking the fans for the support. Absolutely the type of character that I'm proud to have at our club, unfortunately it never quite worked out for him as a player.
Let's not get carried away! I have it on good authority that when at the club as a very young pro he was extremely self-confident to th point of arrogance. Needed to learn some humility from the likes of Neves & Moutinho.

Back
Top Bottom