Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Verdict: Wolves Vs Fulham

MikeH68

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
We are a striker and a midfielder away from being a proper decent side. Without that, we are much of a muchness in the middle of the table.

Nothing we didn’t already know tbf.

At least we are up and running.
Middle of the table? I’m honestly more concerned than that. We don’t score enough, that equals relegation.

Asthmatic Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yeah i thought Guedes would offer more back to goal but he is much smaller than I realised. Seems really samey to what we have which is my worry. Obviously not writing him off or anything and he starts next week even if we get a forward in.

Neto
Other
Guedes

MGW

Neves
Other

RAN
Collinsman
Semedo

Perhaps?
He’s stocky though short, but he’s also a lot more direct than what we have

Ercall Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Worst performance at Molineux today was…….,…
The South Bank
Shocking support, barely sang absolutely useless
South bankers been banging on for years saying they are the noise of Molineux
They have loved saying that for years
Today south bank hold your head in shame you was absolutely crap

DDPPwolf313

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Absolute borefest, so slow at moving the ball around the pitch. Absolute zero movement far too often. A real lack of identity to our play. How can we have so much attacking quality on the pitch all looking absolutely clueless.

I really hoped Bruno would turn it around with a pre-season. But it was awful, really really poor today. We could have played for another 270 minutes and not scored.

MikeH68

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
How can 5 subs be used to delay the game more? Absolute text book case of moan arsing without the facts
Constantly stop-starting a game is good for football? The last 7 additional minutes equaled nil football. The previous 20 passed in the blink of a eye, physios more involved than players, very boring.

Westbakejazz

Reaction score
That's the spirit!

Posted before that as a fellow Staffordian be great to see him succeed and be the first player from my home town to perform for the team I've supported for over 60 years, but just can't see it happening, too many negative vibes about him, so would reluctanctly sell and re-invest the fee in some player from Portugal.
Unfortunately the sales boat has sailed on into the sunset

D

Deleted member 13084sr

Yeah i thought Guedes would offer more back to goal but he is much smaller than I realised. Seems really samey to what we have which is my worry. Obviously not writing him off or anything and he starts next week even if we get a forward in.

Neto
Other
Guedes

MGW

Neves
Other

RAN
Collinsman
Semedo

Perhaps?
i questioned the Guedes transfer the other day cuz hes similar to what we have n got accused of being a 'baggie' by a few,(never called the **** 'the baggies' in me life), dow get me wrong he could be a player, these Mendes transfers are a throw of the dice tho n i think hes got the club by the *******s. there for all to see what was needed all summer

Westbakejazz

Reaction score
Worst performance at Molineux today was…….,…
The South Bank
Shocking support, barely sang absolutely useless
South bankers been banging on for years saying they are the noise of Molineux
They have loved saying that for years
Today south bank hold your head in shame you was absolutely crap
Think they need some Nuno football not Bruno football

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Where's the people like wolvesaywe who love piling into the fans for their concerns?

No striker is a disgrace at this level. A disgrace. We've got one point from a possible six from two winnable games. It's simply not acceptable that the arrogance and incompetence from the board has put us in this situation.

Let's not forget that Fulham are only playing these players because they did well last week. Realistically 5/6 are not involved when Silva makes the changes he wants.

No midfield creativity. No striker.

The only positives were Kilman and Collins. They did well. Also Sa obviously deserves credit for saving the point.

The front four very poor. Jonny is not up to it unfortunately.

I thought Neves did well, Dendoncker was okay but we lacked quality in building up.

Reluctant to go in on MGW, Podence, Guedes, Neto as they would all be so much better playing off a focal point.

Let's hope we can stay up from our 36-game season.

Last edited:

The Wolf In The North

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Disappointing, but still an improvement on much of the end of last season. The heat crippled both teams, made it slow and fractured, and I think that diminished pace suited Fulham more - at least, they dealt with it better by sitting in rank and expending less energy.

Collins and Kilman solid, and Sa needed that penalty save. Ait-Nouri did good forward things and typical, rash young defender things, and part of his development will be cutting those out. Jonny looked laboured and is a shadow of the player he once was - thank goodness Semedo is back.

Neves was good in flashes, but that free kick was selfish and embarrassing, and was followed twenty seconds later by a stroppy, sheepish foul for a booking. Our best player, our best passer, and always first name on the team sheet, but he's not going to win games, that needs to come from elsewhere.

Donk had one of his best games for us (and yes, I know the bar on that one isn't exactly high). MGW was lively, and to be honest I forgive him his hot-headedness (we need a touch of that) and his silly flicks, because he at least gives a **** and tried from start to finish. Neto is a weapon that someone needs to work out how to use effectively, the way he ****ed up that lovely chance was migraine-inducing, but he's just so dangerous. Podence was at his most Podence, if his pass success rate was above 40% I'd be astonished, and was thoroughly ineffective. Hwang flittered between actually looking like a footballer and then having familiar moments of the touch of a scarecrow wearing rubber gloves, but he held the ball up well in the first half before fading.

No one passed to Traore. So what was the point. Guedes is basically Neto, sharp pace and turn - not a striker, but will get goals, eventually. Not sure we needed another Neto, but it is what it is. We need a ****ing striker is what we need.

Lage? Well, he's not a top level manager. Let's be honest. He's just who we have. Whatever scenario he finds himself facing, he doesn't have the answers, and if anyone thinks he's going to unlock the potential of players like Neto, MGW, Ait-Nouri and Guedes, let alone Traore, they're going to be brutally disillusioned. Marco Silva was a fool for getting Fulham to time waste, they probably could have won that, but I think his players play for him more than ours do for Lage. If he went tomorrow, I don't think anyone on that pitch would bat an eyelid, and ultimately that lack of respect and belief will be costly if we're in for a long, hard season (and we are).

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm sorry but people calling for Lage's head are just embarrassing. He was basically forced to play a back five last year because we didn't have the personnel to play in a back four, and yet he still had us pushing top six by Christmas with basically the same group of players that looked like relegation fodder in Nuno's final season.

This year he finally gets a decent CB in to pair with Kilman, we've played TWO league games and conceded TWICE, yes it should have been three, but all through fault of one player. Very fixable. Kilman and Collins, for two young centre backs, look assured and commanding, and dominated Mitrovic today, and I felt dealt with Leeds full press in the first half fairly comfortably last week.

The main problem right now, is how wasteful we've been in possession, largely in that final third. It's the same problems we had last season, except now, we have an extra man going forward, but through no fault of Lage's, he has no centre forward to play as the focal point in this system. The ball isn't sticking with Hwang, Podence or Guedes playing with their back to goal.

We dominated possession against both Leeds and Fulham, and we actually look fairly comfortable in this system, even when we're being pressed (RAN aside, who hasn't adjusted yet, but he's still only just turned 21, so let's be realistic). When we have a fit Jimenez (and sign another to compete with him), we'll have any three of Guedes, Neto, MGW, Podence, Hwang, Traore playing behind him. Those are some serious, and very varied options to have.

When it clicks in an attacking sense, we'll be a match for any team in this league. I know it's a minority spouting this rubbish, but it just baffles me that people don't have the foresight to see what difference a proper centre forward, and hopefully another midfielder, will make to this team.

Reaction score
Some ridiculous over reactions on here. Get out the sun and pour yourself a nice drink. Guo and Uncle Jorge are here, everything’s going to be just fine.
Even if we get some new players in (and I’m not convinced we will) I REALLY don’t trust Large to get the best out of them - in my book he’s had enough time now and needs to go.

Westbakejazz

Reaction score
I'm sorry but people calling for Lage's head are just embarrassing. He was basically forced to play a back five last year because we didn't have the personnel to play in a back four, and yet he still had us pushing top six by Christmas with basically the same group of players that looked like relegation fodder in Nuno's final season.

This year he finally gets a decent CB in to pair with Kilman, we've played TWO league games and conceded TWICE, yes it should have been three, but all through fault of one player. Very fixable. Kilman and Collins, for two young centre backs, look assured and commanding, and dominated Mitrovic today, and I felt dealt with Leeds full press in the first half fairly comfortably last week.

The main problem right now, is how wasteful we've been in possession, largely in that final third. It's the same problems we had last season, except now, we have an extra man going forward, but through no fault of Lage's, he has no centre forward to play as the focal point in this system. The ball isn't sticking with Hwang, Podence or Guedes playing with their back to goal.

We dominated possession against both Leeds and Fulham, and we actually look fairly comfortable in this system, even when we're being pressed (RAN aside, who hasn't adjusted yet, but he's still only just turned 21, so let's be realistic). When we have a fit Jimenez (and sign another to compete with him), we'll have any three of Guedes, Neto, MGW, Podence, Hwang, Traore playing behind him. Those are some serious, and very varied options to have.

When it clicks in an attacking sense, we'll be a match for any team in this league. I know it's a minority spouting this rubbish, but it just baffles me that people don't have the foresight to see what difference a proper centre forward, and hopefully another midfielder, will make to this team.
You can’t be serious
Bore off WUM
we certainly missed out on 30 million. Unbelievable

MikeH68

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I can't fathom how Marcal helps us even slightly today? Didn't he give away at least one penalty last year as well rugby tackling a Brentford player. He did ok for us but hardly the picture of calm and composure was he.

RAN just made a few rough errors, he's still by far our best left back and Jonny would be absolutely slaughtered physically by Son/Richarlison.
I like RAN, but it’s the idiots telling us we have to many players in this case full backs, agree about your points on Marcel just an example of a player that adds a slightly more solid option.

Eastyorksyeltz

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why bring Traore on and then totally ignore him? Not his fault.
But perhaps an indication of why we don't need him and why no one else is very keen on taking him on. Doesn't really fit the way people want to play these days. Not sure if I agree with it, but I can see it. He could set the Championship on fire, in the right team, but I suspect the most he will be in the Premier League is a late sub option.

Reaction score

Sorry totally disagree, we were pushing top six because we were VERY lucky winning matches that we really shouldn’t have. We obv need new players to come in but even if we get them I don’t think I’d trust him to get the best out of them - not for me I think he needs to go.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sorry totally disagree, we were pushing top six because we were VERY lucky winning matches that we really shouldn’t have. We obv need new players to come in but even if we get them I don’t think I’d trust him to get the best out of them - not for me I think he needs to go.
It was a miracle that he kept us up last season. Same players, same system, zero backing. Yes it petered out in the second half of the season, but that for me was just regressing to the mean. The system wasn't working any more, a change was needed. You can't judge a new system after two games.

Asthmatic Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No focal point again severely hurting us, Hwang and Guedes clearly can't play with their backs to goal, so it's unfair to judge them on this. Just desperately lacking a centre forward right now. Ait-Nouri again with a poor performance, and arguably at fault for all three goals/penalties so far this season, so I'd go with Semedo and Jonny next week as we continue to adjust to playing in a new system.

Sa - 8 - Excellent save from the penalty, had one scary moment off a corner but otherwise a much better performance than last week.
Jonny - 6 - I still don't feel it's up to Jonny's usual standards, but he really tried to contribute in an attacking sense.
Collins - 7 - Felt he was solid throughout, good on the ball, commanding.
Kilman - 7 - Same as Collins, just very assured. The one big plus out of this game, is both centre backs did play well against a bully like Mitrovic who had a very quiet game.
Ait-Nouri - 3 - Half-hearted in tackles, gives the ball away far too much, at fault for another penalty. Needs dropping next week.
Neves - 7 - Got stuck in more than usual I felt even in spite of his ridiculous yellow card.
Dendoncker - 6 - Can't fault his effort today, but we need an upgrade next to Neves badly. Dendoncker is just cumbersome.
Neto - 6 - Not sure how he didn't score today from two massive chances, so disappointed in that sense, but he kept trying.
Podence - 5 - Gives the ball away a lot, doesn't show himself for passes when teammates are in trouble. Poor.
MGW - 6 - Fully committed today, especially worked tirelessly to support Jonny. The flicks and tricks just aren't coming off at the moment. I want to see him start as the #10, rather than having him stuck out wide. If he's central he's doing more damage, and surely can't be any worse than Podence was today.
Hwang - 5 - Very quiet today, and the one big chance he did have, he made a bit of a mess of it.

Guedes - I think he's best on the left cutting onto his right, so I don't want to judge his performance playing as the #9, but it's yet another reminder of how badly we need to get a centre forward in.
Traore - Barely touched the ball, but did put a couple of tackles in which is good to see, he can't go walk about in this system.

I would drop both Podence and Ait-Nouri next week for Semedo and Guedes. Ideally we either sign a striker or Jimenez is back next week, because other wise it's going to be painful to watch again.
The frustration is some of Silva’s best work last season was holding the ball up

Glow69

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Foundations are there, few more additions needed obvs.

Westbakejazz

Reaction score
I can't fathom how Marcal helps us even slightly today? Didn't he give away at least one penalty last year as well rugby tackling a Brentford player. He did ok for us but hardly the picture of calm and composure was he.

RAN just made a few rough errors, he's still by far our best left back and Jonny would be absolutely slaughtered physically by Son/Richarlison.
Nouri is million miles from being a full back

Back
Top Bottom