Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Well done George Elokobi

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
80s no, 90s yes.

It felt bad to me, being in the prem with Mick was absolutely grim because almost every time we played a big team we got absolutely battered.
Beat Chelsea 1-0, beat Liverpool at Anfield 1-0 for the first time in God knows how many years, beat Man U 2-1and took their season long unbeaten record off them (in Feb). There were some memorable victories..

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wum!

We beat Chelsea, Liverpool, Spurs etc.... under Mick. We didn't 'get battered every time we played a big team'. :(
He did say "almost" every time

And to be fair there were some right stinkers in there, but without our big results in the second season against the big teams we'd have been sunk without trace

PL results from those seasons against the big six (which was really more of a four/five as Man City were still building up and Spurs were Spurs)

Arsenal
P 6
W 0
D 1
L 5
F 2
A 13

Chelsea
P 6
W 1
D 0
L 5
F 2
A 13

Liverpool
P 6
W 1
D 1
L 4
F 2
A 10

Man U
P 6
W 1
D 0
L 5
F 4
A 16

Man City
P 6
W 1
D 0
L 5
F 6
A 14

Spurs
P 6
W 2
D 2
L 2
F 7
A 9

Overall
P 36
W 7
D 4
L 25
F 23
A 75

Yeah we weren't good against them overall! As mentioned, we did have some good days and fortunately four of the seven wins came in the 10/11 season to keep us up by the skin of our teeth (though my biggest gripe that season was our repeated inability to get 'up' for the games against the teams around us)

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He did say "almost" every time

And to be fair there were some right stinkers in there, but without our big results in the second season against the big teams we'd have been sunk without trace

PL results from those seasons against the big six (which was really more of a four/five as Man City were still building up and Spurs were Spurs)

Arsenal
P 6
W 0
D 1
L 5
F 2
A 13

Chelsea
P 6
W 1
D 0
L 5
F 2
A 13

Liverpool
P 6
W 1
D 1
L 4
F 2
A 10

Man U
P 6
W 1
D 0
L 5
F 4
A 16

Man City
P 6
W 1
D 0
L 5
F 6
A 14

Spurs
P 6
W 2
D 2
L 2
F 7
A 9

Overall
P 36
W 7
D 4
L 25
F 23
A 75

Yeah we weren't good against them overall! As mentioned, we did have some good days and fortunately four of the seven wins came in the 10/11 season to keep us up by the skin of our teeth (though my biggest gripe that season was our repeated inability to get 'up' for the games against the teams around us)
My memory's not what it was, but I do remember the wins against Sky 6, especially the 2-1 against Man U, when George was heavily involved in that win. The wins against Spuds at WHL. Also, the win at Liverpool when Stephen Ward scored to beat them at Anfield for the first time since God's dog was a pup and Mardenborough had his 15 minutes of fame, something we've not done (yet) under subsequent managers.
Football, as life, is about memories and those wins under McCarthy (and Nuno since and now GON) are more important to me than the L25. F23. A75.

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wum!

We beat Chelsea, Liverpool, Spurs etc.... under Mick. We didn't 'get battered every time we played a big team'. :(

Beat Chelsea 1-0, beat Liverpool at Anfield 1-0 for the first time in God knows how many years, beat Man U 2-1and took their season long unbeaten record off them (in Feb). There were some memorable victories..

It felt to me like we got battered every time!

First year back up under Mick we lost every game against the top 3 (Chelsea, MU, ****, 4-0,2-0,3-0,1-0,1-0,4-1), although we did amazingly beat Spurs home and away, 1-0 (thanks, Harry).

Then in 2010-11 we did quite well against the top 4, winning away at United, Chelsea and City.

Relegation year, we had some batterings (4-1 & 5-0 v Utd, 3-0 v ****), with a couple of draws against Spurs the best of the lot.

It might be because one of my best friends at the time was an Arsenal fan, and in 6 attempts we got 1 point and had a lot of very comfortable defeats.

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My memory's not what it was, but I do remember the wins against Sky 6, especially the 2-1 against Man U, when George was heavily involved in that win. The wins against Spuds at WHL. Also, the win at Liverpool when Stephen Ward scored to beat them at Anfield for the first time since God's dog was a pup and Mardenborough had his 15 minutes of fame, something we've not done (yet) under subsequent managers.
Football, as life, is about memories and those wins under McCarthy (and Nuno since and now GON) are more important to me than the L25. F23. A75.
Well said. A lot of us had given up on ever seeing things like this happen.

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

First year back up under Mick we lost every game against the top 3 (Chelsea, MU, ****, 4-0,2-0,3-0,1-0,1-0,4-1), although we did amazingly beat Spurs home and away, 1-0 (thanks, Harry).

Then in 2010-11 we did quite well against the top 4, winning away at United, Chelsea and City.

Relegation year, we had some batterings (4-1 & 5-0 v Utd, 3-0 v ****), with a couple of draws against Spurs the best of the lot.

It might be because one of my best friends at the time was an Arsenal fan, and in 6 attempts we got 1 point and had a lot of very comfortable defeats.

The 2 games that really ****ing hurt were the defeat at Old Trafford when SEB equalised and they got the winner in injury time (I hate Man U, I can still picture it going in, I could have cried) and the 1-0 loss at the emirates where we hung on at 0-0 till the last minute and they scored (Bendtner I think).

Also remember going to City when they’d starting spending loads, Big George played. Lost 1-0 and Andy Keogh hit the bar right in front of us.

In fairness we just didn’t have the players to regularly compete with those clubs.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The 2 games that really ****ing hurt were the defeat at Old Trafford when SEB equalised and they got the winner in injury time (I hate Man U, I can still picture it going in, I could have cried) and the 1-0 loss at the emirates where we hung on at 0-0 till the last minute and they scored (Bendtner I think).

Also remember going to City when they’d starting spending loads, Big George played. Lost 1-0 and Andy Keogh hit the bar right in front of us.

In fairness we just didn’t have the players to regularly compete with those clubs.
We didn't. Plus, there was the match at Arsenal, where we were more than matching them until Milijas was (wrongly) sent off and VAR didn't intervene. ;) . We'd have gone on to win that with 11 on the field.
The home game with Chelsea when Lampard (wrongly) stayed on (where was VAR!!!) and went on to score the winner.
Of course, McCarthy's teams didn't have the class of the teams we see now and he was unable to spend the millions that Fosun's managers have been able to. That's partly why the wins were more-memorable. David Vs Goliath and all that.

Pessimistic Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Had a chance to interview George after a recent Maidstone league game for the press.

Honestly, a really lovely, genuine man. It was a night match and the floodlights went out, but he insisted on carrying on with the interview in the pitch black at 10:30pm. He made a real point of speaking to everyone post-match and was great about me being a wolves fan.

Don't have a single bad word to say about him. He also swears like a sailor, in a very affable way.

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Always remember after the game at Brighton when we got relegated to league 1.

Big George clapping us in floods of tears.

Really pleased he’s doing so well.

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've only just seen this somehow, that's very wholesome. Anyone who saw the video where he went home the village in Cameroon where he grew up knows he wears his heart on his sleeve. I love him to bits, he's like a force of nature and I'd love it if his boys come up to Molineux in the next round.

Don't have a single bad word to say about him. He also swears like a sailor, in a very affable way.

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I remember the welcome Kenny Hibbitt got when he returned to Wolves as assistant manager at Bristol Rovers. If Maidstone United do get drawn at Wolves (providing we win the replay), I think George will almost certainly get as big a welcome as Kenny did.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Your memory is probably fine! But the win over Man U (where I still think Elokobi actually scored both goals) is far more memorable than any of the defeats, despite it being vastly outnumbered

Ultimately we follow football for what becomes memories

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Your memory is probably fine! But the win over Man U (where I still think Elokobi actually scored both goals) is far more memorable than any of the defeats, despite it being vastly outnumbered

Ultimately we follow football for what becomes memories
The biggest difference between the Mick and Nuno era for me are that the victories over the Sky 6 were sweeter under Mick because they were mostly smash and grabs where we were under the cosh for pretty much the whole game and came in the context of us being a side who would always be battling relegation and with ambitions no higher than finishing 17th every season. The victories were all the better when they came because of it.

Under Nuno we took on the Sky 6 as equals and outplayed them regularly. We pretty much expected to beat Man Utd, Arsenal, Chelsea and Spurs and knew we had a pretty good shot at beating Man City and Liverpool.

Polish Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The biggest difference between the Mick and Nuno era for me are that the victories over the Sky 6 were sweeter under Mick because they were mostly smash and grabs where we were under the cosh for pretty much the whole game and came in the context of us being a side who would always be battling relegation and with ambitions no higher than finishing 17th every season. The victories were all the better when they came because of it.

Under Nuno we took on the Sky 6 as equals and outplayed them regularly. We pretty much expected to beat Man Utd, Arsenal, Chelsea and Spurs and knew we had a pretty good shot at beating Man City and Liverpool.

The biggest difference was the ambition. Nuno oversaw a project that was a genuine attempt to get into top 6. He bought into it, carefully managed it and almost got there - two finishes at 7th and a European run is a great achievement.

Mick's era was all about "I'd take 17th before the season starts". To me it was hugely disappointing, small club mentality which I could never identify with. As much as I respected Mick for all that he did, that thing, also reflected in the style of play and squad preferences, made me no fan of him.

George Elokobi, however, is a true cult hero and I love him!

oldgoldheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Maybe but its been much much worse. Makes us what we are

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The biggest difference was the ambition. Nuno oversaw a project that was a genuine attempt to get into top 6. He bought into it, carefully managed it and almost got there - two finishes at 7th and a European run is a great achievement.

Mick's era was all about "I'd take 17th before the season starts". To me it was hugely disappointing, small club mentality which I could never identify with. As much as I respected Mick for all that he did, that thing, also reflected in the style of play and squad preferences, made me no fan of him.

George Elokobi, however, is a true cult hero and I love him!
I'm not sure ambition was the issue, Steve Morgan just didn't have the money to try and challenge the top half of the table. He was essentially a Championship level owner. We'd been outside the top division for so long we were for all intents and purposes a small club

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Maybe but its been much much worse. Makes us what we are

I'm sure it has - to me that felt like one of the low points, at least in the Chump you win most of the time (unless you're managed by Saunders, obviously).

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

To me it was the other way around. 2009-2012 we were trying to land a lucky punch and it was great when we did, but we always went into those games with a lot of trepidation and often fear we might get a hammering. 2018-2020 we were taking them on and we knew we could hurt them, although we were still underdogs we always really fancied it. Loved that period when we went into those games knowing we could beat them rather than hoping

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To me it was the other way around. 2009-2012 we were trying to land a lucky punch and it was great when we did, but we always went into those games with a lot of trepidation and often fear we might get a hammering. 2018-2020 we were taking them on and we knew we could hurt them, although we were still underdogs we always really fancied it. Loved that period when we went into those games knowing we could beat them rather than hoping
I can see that, but I don't remember any game (apart from local derbies and the play off final) giving me as much pleasure as beating Man Utd 1-0 in 2003/4

thommo1984

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Real shame they didn't draw a big Prem team, they'll get beat there with little fanfair sadly.

NJ Wolves

Reaction score
Real shame they didn't draw a big Prem team, they'll get beat there with little fanfair sadly.
Yeah I watched a lot of their game vs Stevenage and they were extremely lucky to win. Ipswich gonna dick 'em sadly

Wolves in Limerick

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Are you suggesting Mick shouldn't have been our manager? From my recollection of that era the club were economical on the transfer market and were limited in the salaries being offered. I remember in particular reports that Brum gazumped us in an attempt to sign Scott Dann by offering £4k per week more in wages. Yes we were limited in the talent available. That was because the board were not prepared to pay and indeed pay for better players. Those that were with us did very well, were happy and proud to play for us and I believe were treated poorly over the following two seasons. Why you would not be a fan of Mick, well that's your opinion, personally I believe giving the constraints he worked under he did a marvelous job.

Back
Top Bottom