Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Summer 2023 Transfer Window Thread

Plovdiv Wolf

Reaction score
stupid holding hope i know, but feeling a transfer deadline splurge (of about 2m) but splurge still
I think maybe 1 or 2 could leave along with Podence

We will bring in 1/2 but maybe I am just being hopeful to see some action.

If G.O wants to give the kids a chance, then fair play. We really need a defender though everyone knows it

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think Elvedi will come in(as they want to sell and noone else is prepared to pay what they want for him) and maybe one more. I'm a bit worried that we aren't looking at any forwards.

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A car is a depreciating asset like a players contract….at the end of five years the car is fully written off and you have had the benefit of its use. The sale is therefore all profit. The cost of the use of the car for five years was the depreciation and interest.
No, you’re using accountancy speak. I’m using simple maths.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think Elvedi will come in(as they want to sell and noone else is prepared to pay what they want for him) and maybe one more. I'm a bit worried that we aren't looking at any forwards.

forwards wise

i think basically you have to give sasa and silva the chance to prove to be the forward without selling one

youd be carrying

cunha/ new/ neto/ hwang/ silva/ sasa

across front 2/3

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Betrays an absolute lack of accounting and economics knowledge.

For a start the asset becomes worth less as it ages (ever tried selling a five year old car for what you paid for it?) - that is called depreciation.

Secondly you assume that five years usage of the vehicle has no value. To quote Judge Judy "how much would it have cost you to hire a car for that period"....
I know enough of accountancy knowledge to understand accountants. Own business and all that.
I can’t operate my business without a cement mixer. So, I buy a cement mixer for £5k. I write off a portion annually over the five years it’s lasts. I then buy another and then I buy another every five years and keep writing the £5k off every five years. Amortisation and depreciation.

The hypothesis was whether selling Fabio for £20m would cause Wolves a loss. On a balance sheet, maybe the transfer would wipe its face, on what is owed/or currently valued. But, in simple cash terms, £35m plus costs out, £20m in. That’s a loss over term of £15m plus costs.
To use my cement mixer as an analogy, it’s like me buying the mixer for five grand, lending it to my competitors while I’m still paying off the 5k, then just when I need it, I sell it for 3k after only two years. It’s nonsense.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
forwards wise

i think basically you have to give sasa and silva the chance to prove to be the forward without selling one

youd be carrying

cunha/ new/ neto/ hwang/ silva/ sasa

across front 2/3
For a 4-4-2 I see it as being Cunha/Silva/Sasa/new with Sarabia and Hwang as potential options but mostly used wide and Neto I don't see why you would use him as a striker at all.
If we go 4-3-3 I think Fabio and Sasa are likely to be fighting it out for the middle centre forward spot with cunha moved wide.
I think if Sasa gets injured we are short on options in both scenarios.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Brownhill is a decent player and would probably replace Hodge in the squad. Maybe we have a loan move for Joe lined up and just need another option for the squad.
Why, other than £s, Brownhill would wish to move from being a bench player for Burnley to being the same for us is beyond me. If l thought that he would be a regular starter l would be seriously concerned as that likely means further sales.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I know enough of accountancy knowledge to understand accountants. Own business and all that.
I can’t operate my business without a cement mixer. So, I buy a cement mixer for £5k. I write off a portion annually over the five years it’s lasts. I then buy another and then I buy another every five years and keep writing the £5k off every five years. Amortisation and depreciation.

The hypothesis was whether selling Fabio for £20m would cause Wolves a loss. On a balance sheet, maybe the transfer would wipe its face, on what is owed/or currently valued. But, in simple cash terms, £35m plus costs out, £20m in. That’s a loss over term of £15m plus costs.
To use my cement mixer as an analogy, it’s like me buying the mixer for five grand, lending it to my competitors while I’m still paying off the 5k, then just when I need it, I sell it for 3k after only two years. It’s nonsense.
Now your last para l totally agree.... But then l have always rated Fabio.

D

Deleted member (smith)

No, you’re using accountancy speak. I’m using simple maths.

So you reckon new car sold five years later for less is a loss? I remember trying to teach my children about inflation….I bought a car new for 20,000. I sold it five years later for 20,500 and bought a new one (same model) for 40,000…Did I make a profit or loss?

Accountancy and economics may be a bit arcane for most but it is the accountancy rules on which FFP is based.The fact that the car ( say Fabio) provided no service while being costly is the problem….the cost is not the only issue….it’s the benefit too that must be assessed. And of course cost include salary ( running costs in the case of the car) Anyways you can believe what you like and there is no compulsion to understand economics, accountancy to enjoy watching football or discussing transfers.The transfer discussion has been marred for hundreds of pages with explanations of FFP and why it is a continuing problem for clubs with smaller revenues and retorts that that it is not true, and is made up by Fosun

Last edited by a moderator:

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So you reckon new car sold five years later for less is a loss? I remember trying to teach my children about inflation….I bought a car new for 20,000. I sold it five years later for 20,500 and bought a new one (same model) for 40,000…Did I make a profit or loss?

Accountancy and economics may be a bit arcane for most but it is the accountancy rules on which FFP is based.
That's one hell of an inflation rate though lol....

MattH

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

Accountancy and economics may be a bit arcane for most but it is the accountancy rules on which FFP is based.
What you've done there is confuse cars with football players. A car wears out and is worth less the minute you drive it off the forecourt (in most cases). However a young footballer, let's use an 18 year old Portuguese striker as an example, may appreciate in value. That is the crucial distinction - Silva was bought as an investment to appreciate and hopefully sell at a greater value. Most cars are bought on the understanding they depreciate in value. So whilst it may be a technical profit on the books, it would be a strategic failure and loss in a wider sense if we sold him for less than we bought him.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What you've done there is confuse cars with football players. A car wears out and is worth less the minute you drive it off the forecourt (in most cases). However a young footballer, let's use an 18 year old Portuguese striker as an example, may appreciate in value. That is the crucial distinction - Silva was bought as an investment to appreciate and hopefully sell at a greater value. Most cars are bought on the understanding they depreciate in value. So whilst it may be a technical profit on the books, it would be a strategic failure and loss in a wider sense if we sold him for less than we bought him.
You are utterly correct about young footballers but the situation when it comes to someone at their peak (e.g. Mario) or on the downwards slope (e.g. Dawson) is quite different.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can't we?
I would argue that squad padding exactly is what our squad needs. We've got a lot of young talented and expensive players that form the majority of our starting line up.
Competition in a few places and a bit of experience for if the **** hits the fan.
In terms of potential ability we are not going to find much better than what we have now.
we had squad padding, players got
annoyed and we are skint.
so nope, for me we can’t.

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s a permanent move. I’m sure if a higher placed team had wanted him he’d have dragged himself away from the West Midlands.
Ponty I see your point of view but how can you say you are sure about about this unless you have direct knowledge.?
Would you have wanted Jamie Vardy who I believe was 27 before he played in the prem?

Hawkguy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think if we can move Podence on we can finally bring in Elvedi
Eventually, even if we don't, they'll have to move Elvedi unless they want an unhappy player to stay there. Probably easy for us to get him for a loan w/ obligation.

D

Deleted member (smith)

Not quite…I am aware that footballers and cars are different .you are correct the residual value of the asset is important….you also are correct that the value of a pllayer may increase. However that residual value may not be reflected in his contract because when the contract ends he may move for FREE….you may own a car but you cannot own a player only a contract. What we are seeing now is players realizing that the value of the contract is money they have left on the table that they could earn by signing on fee and salary ( in Saudi?) hence Traore at his peak was of no residual value.

The idea that players value goes up until they reach their peak has many many slips between cup and lip.

Joshwolf218

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Eventually, even if we don't, they'll have to move Elvedi unless they want an unhappy player to stay there. Probably easy for us to get him for a loan w/ obligation.

Nahbjust leave it until in and get him on a precontract he has less than a year left

Hawkguy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The thing that concerns me is surely we could of loaned a few players to get the numbers up , but we haven't even done that .

So I just think we have no money this window unless more are sold .

Sad really as if Gomes or Nunes have a great half season or Season we all know deep down this time next year they won't be here.
I hope they both do with current prices. Can sell them both for 100+ million and hopefully start becoming the next Brighton in regards to the transfers.

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Accountancy and economics may be a bit arcane for most but it is the accountancy rules on which FFP is based.The fact that the car ( say Fabio) provided no service while being costly is the problem….the cost is not the only issue….it’s the benefit too that must be assessed. And of course cost include salary ( running costs in the case of the car) Anyways you can believe what you like and there is no compulsion to understand economics, accountancy to enjoy watching football or discussing transfers.The transfer discussion has been marred for hundreds of pages with explanations of FFP and why it is a continuing problem for clubs with smaller revenues and retorts that that it is not true, and is made up by Fosun
Wow! Your first paragraph is absolute nonsense regarding Fabio and bears little resemblance to the car example I used. Apart from that, excellent tangent.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I hope they both do with current prices. Can sell them both for 100+ million and hopefully start becoming the next Brighton in regards to the transfers.
A bit hard to be the next Brighton when you are in the Championship.

A lot easier to boast about our trading prowess when you don't pay top dollar to watch the denuded team struggle live.

Hawkguy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A bit hard to be the next Brighton when you are in the Championship.

A lot easier to boast about our trading prowess when you don't pay top dollar to watch the denuded team struggle live.
Team is too good to be relegated.

JohnB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A car is a depreciating asset like a players contract….at the end of five years the car is fully written off and you have had the benefit of its use. The sale is therefore all profit. The cost of the use of the car for five years was the depreciation and interest.
Surely the question everyone is missing is why is anyone spending £100k on a car - whether on finance or not…..

JohnB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's like the Infinite monkey theorem:

The infinite monkey theorem states that a monkey hitting keys at random on a typewriter keyboard for an infinite amount of time will almost surely type any given text, including the complete works of William Shakespeare.

We have already applied this theorem to all Summer/January xxx Transfer Window Threads and it works!!
Despite what my wife says, I’m not a monkey and there’s only one of me.

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Many moons ago in a previous life when I was a trainee accountant one of my tutors showed us an example of valueing a stock take two different ways. One the value was say 10 grand and the other was was a pound. He could justify both.
There is no one formula.

Ponty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ponty I see your point of view but how can you say you are sure about about this unless you have direct knowledge.?
Would you have wanted Jamie Vardy who I believe was 27 before he played in the prem?
I don’t have direct knowledge but he will undoubtedly have been scouted by most PL teams during his previous loan spells and I think it’s a fair bet that if any of them were interested in him he wouldn’t have moved to Blues. It’s not just Wolves who don’t think he’s ready now or in near future for the PL, it’s all clubs. Hopefully with regular games in a settled environment he can develop further than most clubs think he will but as things stand I don’t think selling him was a mistake.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don’t have direct knowledge but he will undoubtedly have been scouted by most PL teams during his previous loan spells and I think it’s a fair bet that if any of them were interested in him he wouldn’t have moved to Blues. It’s not just Wolves who don’t think he’s ready now or in near future for the PL, it’s all clubs. Hopefully with regular games in a settled environment he can develop further than most clubs think he will but as things stand I don’t think selling him was a mistake.
Notably Luton, where Rob Edwards would know him well, were in for Giles but not interested in him.

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Time will tell my friend. :D
The only thing for certain is the outcome will not be decided by either of us.

Back
Top Bottom