Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Summer 2023 Transfer Window Thread

Hixon Wolf

Reaction score
617 pages ............... What a Summer window

It's like the Infinite monkey theorem:

The infinite monkey theorem states that a monkey hitting keys at random on a typewriter keyboard for an infinite amount of time will almost surely type any given text, including the complete works of William Shakespeare.

We have already applied this theorem to all Summer/January xxx Transfer Window Threads and it works!!

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Glad you aren’t in charge on transfers. This is incredibly short sighted and I think most fans agree that our starting 11 is pretty strong. We need coverage in the midfield to help see out games and the inevitable suspensions with yellows.
Not only that if we are going such high press we will need rotation when we have midweek games to ensure they can last the 90

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Glad you aren’t in charge on transfers. This is incredibly short sighted and I think most fans agree that our starting 11 is pretty strong. We need coverage in the midfield to help see out games and the inevitable suspensions with yellows.
Glad you aren’t in charge of transfers. I think the opposing view is incredibly short sighted and i think most sensible fans agree that our squad has real quality and should be supplemented by similar quality too.

There’s no point in buying players to bench warm, we did that, had a disengaged squad and financial problems as a result.

There’s also no point in buying players to warm the bench. I originally saw the logic in Cresswell and i still do (although i want far better!) if we lose players at left back, but not to supplement at all.

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I like Brownhill but I don't know where he'd play. Unless Hodge goes out on loan.

Abbobrom

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I am going to stick my neck on the line here. I rated Sanderson. I think he will be a Premier League player within two years. We have been too hasty in selling him I think. Just my opinion of course and I could well be wrong.
I am not sure that Sanderson is tall enough to be a Premier League Centre half. I don't know his actual height, but having watched him he has always seemed to be better out wider at full back.

Superted

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
that’s potentially an unfortunate consequence of this style of play, and one i do worry about. I still maintain we shouldn’t buy substandard players to pad
Problem is our first 11 is very good. We don't have the money to improve on these players at the moment so our best option is to ensure that as many potential replacements as possible are of a high enough standard that they don't significantly weaken the team when they're called upon.

Essentially we need to be buying the best we can afford to provide the cover that we're currently short of.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Glad you aren’t in charge of transfers. I think the opposing view is incredibly short sighted and i think most sensible fans agree that our squad has real quality and should be supplemented by similar quality too.

There’s no point in buying players to bench warm, we did that, had a disengaged squad and financial problems as a result.

There’s also no point in buying players to warm the bench. I originally saw the logic in Cresswell and i still do (although i want far better!) if we lose players at left back, but not to supplement at all.
How do we buy players to improve our XI with no money?

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think if we can move Podence on we can finally bring in Elvedi
Perhaps, but we have heard this all summer.

Point was, our first XI is actually quite good, and most players would have a market value of £15m+, so whilst I agree in theory we should try and buy players to improve the XI, generally, we aren't in a position to do that right now.

It seems our future is going to depend on being like Brighton. The big money signings will be reliant on major sales. I'm not moaning at that, but that's the only way we're going to be able to buy quality without finding gems.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Problem is our first 11 is very good. We don't have the money to improve on these players at the moment so our best option is to ensure that as many potential replacements as possible are of a high enough standard that they don't significantly weaken the team when they're called upon.

Essentially we need to be buying the best we can afford to provide the cover that we're currently short of.
on absolutely, and is Brownhill that?
How do we buy players to improve our XI with no money?
We loan with a view to buying where we can, loan top talents and continue to sell players where the value is right or we don’t want them any more.

Peszkywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Liverpool need more strong defensively minded midfielders, Nunes' position is not their priority this summer. They need to protect their average defence.
Nunes stats probably don't look that great over the past year, despite most Wolves fans realising what a rolls Royce class player he is now without playing in Neves shadow.

D

Deleted member (smith)

This is crazy talk!
So, you buy a car for £100k on finance over five years. At the end of the five years, you sell it for £40k. Do you think you’ve made £40k as you no longer owe anything on the car, or have you lost £60k plus the interest payments?
A car is a depreciating asset like a players contract….at the end of five years the car is fully written off and you have had the benefit of its use. The sale is therefore all profit. The cost of the use of the car for five years was the depreciation and interest.

Rhyl Wolf

Reaction score
So Olise commits to Palace and Chelsea turn to Brennan Johnson. They're like a kid in a sweet shop with an endless supply of pocket money. Insanity.

Celtic fans seem keen on Podence. As stated above, sell him for £8 million and buy Elvedi seems a no brainer to me. This transfer business is easy eh?

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This is crazy talk!
So, you buy a car for £100k on finance over five years. At the end of the five years, you sell it for £40k. Do you think you’ve made £40k as you no longer owe anything on the car, or have you lost £60k plus the interest payments?
Betrays an absolute lack of accounting and economics knowledge.

For a start the asset becomes worth less as it ages (ever tried selling a five year old car for what you paid for it?) - that is called depreciation.

Secondly you assume that five years usage of the vehicle has no value. To quote Judge Judy "how much would it have cost you to hire a car for that period"....

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Who would you put him in front of out of Lemina, Nunes, Gomes and Traore?

None of them for me.

Add Hodge into that too at the moment.

What's interesting about Brownhill though is he can and has operated as a right midfielder, as well as centrally. Nunes hasn't been playing centrally, he's been primarily off the right, only tucking in centrally when we are defending.

The only positions in our current setup that don't have senior cover are Dawson's and Nunes's positions.

I think he's a budget option as cover for Nunes instead of Scott.

Assuming Jonny, Podence and Guedes all go, would leave us just needing a new CB to have 2 players for every position, providing all the others stay! That's likely to be Elvedi from what we've heard. Cresswell to then come in if Ait-Nouri moves on.

Sa/Bently
Semedo/Doc
Dawson/NEW
Kilman/Toti
Ait-Nouri/Bueno
Lemina/Hodge
Gomes/Traore
Nunes/Brownhill
Neto/Hwang
Sarabia/Silva
Cunha/Kalajdzic

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
None of them for me.

Add Hodge into that too at the moment.

What's interesting about Brownhill though is he can and has operated as a right midfielder, as well as centrally. Nunes hasn't been playing centrally, he's been primarily off the right, only tucking in centrally when we are defending.

The only positions in our current setup that don't have senior cover are Dawson's and Nunes's positions.

I think he's a budget option as cover for Nunes instead of Scott.

Assuming Jonny, Podence and Guedes all go, would leave us just needing a new CB to have 2 players for every position, providing all the others stay! That's likely to be Elvedi from what we've heard. Cresswell to then come in if Ait-Nouri moves on.

Sa/Bently
Semedo/Doc
Dawson/NEW
Kilman/Toti
Ait-Nouri/Bueno
Lemina/Hodge
Gomes/Traore
Nunes/Brownhill
Neto/Hwang
Sarabia/Silva
Cunha/Kalajdzic
We kinda do have cover for Dawson as Killman would move over and Toti come in on the left.

I think Sarabia is the alternative to Nunes in that wide attacking midfield role.

Though it is possible if GON wants to be brave he might be more likely to risk Nunes playing one of the central midfield roles.

Oliwolf44

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Brownhill exactly the type of player we need and IF he were to come would be the midfield sorted for me. high energy level to fill in for either Lemina or Gomes when rested/injured/suspended and gets about the pitch.

If he didnt want to be on the bench at Burnley not sure why he'd want to be on the bench at wolves instead though.

Still, i dont trust any of these rumours anymore will only believe it when i see them holding a wolves shirt. Honestly dont think we'll sign anybody.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Brownhill exactly the type of player we need and IF he were to come would be the midfield sorted for me. high energy level to fill in for either Lemina or Gomes when rested/injured/suspended and gets about the pitch.

If he didnt want to be on the bench at Burnley not sure why he'd want to be on the bench at wolves instead though.

Still, i dont trust any of these rumours anymore will only believe it when i see them holding a wolves shirt. Honestly dont think we'll sign anybody.
Totally agree with the first part of your post
We arent looking to improve the squad this summer just to get as good as we can for cover as i see it
Ofc it would be great if we can pick up a few low price gems but that doesnt happen too often
As for him being on the bench, well thats up to him to show hes better than what we have and take his chance when it comes really
As you say these rumours are mainly just click bait, and the only time i take much notice is when several reliable sources report it

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
Brownhill is a decent player and would probably replace Hodge in the squad. Maybe we have a loan move for Joe lined up and just need another option for the squad.

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hodge is lined up with grasshoppers according to their itk.

Premier Quality

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Brownhill is a decent player and would probably replace Hodge in the squad. Maybe we have a loan move for Joe lined up and just need another option for the squad.
I just can’t see the point of spending relatively big money on a position we have good cover in.

Spend the small amount of money we have on the position that needs it - centre back.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
I just can’t see the point of spending relatively big money on a position we have good cover in.

Spend the small amount of money we have on the position that needs it - centre back.
I agree that CB is a priority but just commenting on Brownhill as a potential signing. If Gary’s only got a little bit of money to spend then absolutely go and get a CB, but if there’s enough room for a CB and Brownhill, then that would be good.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
we shouldn’t sign him then. any signing in the current climate has to improve the first 11 and push one of the existing players out. we can’t afford squad padding
Can't we?
I would argue that squad padding exactly is what our squad needs. We've got a lot of young talented and expensive players that form the majority of our starting line up.
Competition in a few places and a bit of experience for if the **** hits the fan.
In terms of potential ability we are not going to find much better than what we have now.

SmiffyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The thing that concerns me is surely we could of loaned a few players to get the numbers up , but we haven't even done that .

So I just think we have no money this window unless more are sold .

Sad really as if Gomes or Nunes have a great half season or Season we all know deep down this time next year they won't be here.

Back
Top Bottom