Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Summer 2023 Transfer Window Thread

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Maybe Sanderson didn’t want another loan and he’d have got very little first team action at Wolves barring an injury crisis so wouldn’t have developed more here. I think the time was right to let him have a fresh start, he’d done little to suggest he’s anything more than Championship standard to date. Obviously disregard all of this if we bury our heads in the sand and don’t sign another CB!
Maybe he didn't want another loan but we dont know.I disagree though that he had done little to suggest he would be nothing but a championship player. Season by season he was improving. He was still young for a cb and had not had many seasons even on loan especially last seasons set back of back injury.
These days it is not easy for a young player to break through to top level so loans seem to be a rout for many. For a defender I think experience teaches them mainly to learn to cut out mistakes and in Diaon's case I would have liked to have seen him have another year on loan and then see if he could challenge for a first team place.
Its all about opinions.

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Optimist (Noun: op-ti-mist) Wolverhampton Wanderers supporter who reads the football gossip columns and/or the fan forum every morning expecting to see news of a new signing

Idiot (Noun: id-i-ot) See Optimist…
Nice.
Opti as in optical. So it makes sense seeing through the mist of non clarity.
Thanks.:D

Ponty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Maybe he didn't want another loan but we dont know.I disagree though that he had done little to suggest he would be nothing but a championship player. Season by season he was improving. He was still young for a cb and had not had many seasons even on loan especially last seasons set back of back injury.
These days it is not easy for a young player to break through to top level so loans seem to be a rout for many. For a defender I think experience teaches them mainly to learn to cut out mistakes and in Diaon's case I would have liked to have seen him have another year on loan and then see if he could challenge for a first team place.
Its all about opinions.
If he’d shown anything to suggest he’s above Championship level I don’t think he’d have ended up at Blues. We all want our young players to succeed and I think sometimes it means we are not objective.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Optimist (Noun: op-ti-mist) Wolverhampton Wanderers supporter who reads the football gossip columns and/or the fan forum every morning expecting to see news of a new signing

Idiot (Noun: id-i-ot) See Optimist…
Definition of madness :- Doing the same thing over and over again expecting something different to happen

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Timber for Arsenal is out for the season so they might look to sign someone else according to Arteta. Tough life isn’t it?

I know its complicated, but its still bizarre to me to see us trying to compete in a league where some teams can spend hundreds of millions any time they like, buying reserve goalkeepers for £30 million plus, and sign defensive midfielders for £115 million etc, whilst we are apparently not able to spend a penny in the interests of keeping things fair.

Last edited:

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If he’d shown anything to suggest he’s above Championship level I don’t think he’d have ended up at Blues. We all want our young players to succeed and I think sometimes it means we are not objective.
Why not. Ideal place for him. Local. He knows the club. Seems he has been made captain. Chance to show himself.
A good loan can only help but improve him but a bad loan can set him back plenty.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Easily especially the one that he somehow put wide of the post!! Yet you and many others think he is an out and out striker?? Sorry he is not a striker. A striker scores those opportunities FARMER or FRASER even SILVA would of buried it. Shame G.O found the JL line up text book

Pond will be good but not sure how anyone can say he’s better than Sanderson with little experience some have an agenda against trying our own youth. Crazy because they don’t have a fancy Portuguese name
How often do you watch the u23s to come to any of those conclusions? Myself like many others watch them a lot.

Sanderson was nowhere near Ponds level at that age and he’s got a move for what he is, an average championship mid table championship player. There’s nothing wrong with that, it’s just where he is. Right now the ONLY thing Sanderson has over Pond is more seniors experience. Every facet of his game is behind Pond. As for only wanting Portuguese names I’m not sure how Alfie Pond is Portuguese sounding.

Farmer or Fraser aren’t anywhere near Cunha level, they wouldn’t have got into those positions in the first place to miss them.

Ponty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why not. Ideal place for him. Local. He knows the club. Seems he has been made captain. Chance to show himself.
A good loan can only help but improve him but a bad loan can set him back plenty.
It’s a permanent move. I’m sure if a higher placed team had wanted him he’d have dragged himself away from the West Midlands.

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How often do you watch the u23s to come to any of those conclusions? Myself like many others watch them a lot.

Sanderson was nowhere near Ponds level at that age and he’s got a move for what he is, an average championship mid table championship player. There’s nothing wrong with that, it’s just where he is. Right now the ONLY thing Sanderson has over Pond is more seniors experience. Every facet of his game is behind Pond. As for only wanting Portuguese names I’m not sure how Alfie Pond is Portuguese sounding.

Farmer or Fraser aren’t anywhere near Cunha level, they wouldn’t have got into those positions in the first place to miss them.
Pond cost 500k according to transfermarket. We must have thought a lot of him to pay that amount and him a 4 year contract.

Stevebullknee - which under 23s stand out from the rest? Anyone you think could make it in the premier/championship?

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Pond cost 500k according to transfermarket. We must have thought a lot of him to pay that amount and him a 4 year contract.

Stevebullknee - which under 23s stand out from the rest? Anyone you think could make it in the premier/championship?
Pond and Hubner are very good defenders. Personally I really like Harvey Griffiths and could see him following hodge and Cundle as being round the first team. Fraser I really like, he could be the first forward to come through for a long time. Not convinced on Farmer, think he might be a bit too small.

Re Pond, I’d say he’s the stand out to push on most out of any of them including ones on loan like Lonwijk who is also a good prospect.

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Except that it wouldn’t be a 15m loss as he’s worth less than 20m on our books now.
This is crazy talk!
So, you buy a car for £100k on finance over five years. At the end of the five years, you sell it for £40k. Do you think you’ve made £40k as you no longer owe anything on the car, or have you lost £60k plus the interest payments?

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

We were linked before, teamtalk broke doherty.

Little underwhelming but would provide more cover instead of say hodge

And with just 12 months left on his current deal, a number of clubs are looking closely at Brownhill, with the Clarets keen to avoid losing the player as a free agent next summer.

Wolves have a long-standing interest and new boss Gary O’Neil is looking closely at Brownhill as he looks to bolster his squad with some fresh faces.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I am going to stick my neck on the line here. I rated Sanderson. I think he will be a Premier League player within two years. We have been too hasty in selling him I think. Just my opinion of course and I could well be wrong.

Supadavewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We paid more than that for Marques and his development has stalled. There’s no guarantee with youngsters, no matter how much you pay.
Like Coady, Marques looked quality when we were playing a back 3 (in the U23s to match the first team's formation) , but was less comfortable when moved to a back 4.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Brownhill is only an acceptable signing if nobody leaves.

Another where we should not be selling any first-team players to fund it. (On the basis I'd want the Podence/Jonny money to go on Elvedi).

Agree with that mate. Brownhill isnt a bad player. If we added him to our current midfield options I would be happy with that. Centre back has to be a priority though.

Premier Quality

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Agree with that mate. Brownhill isnt a bad player. If we added him to our current midfield options I would be happy with that. Centre back has to be a priority though.
Who would you put him in front of out of Lemina, Nunes, Gomes and Traore?

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Who would you put him in front of out of Lemina, Nunes, Gomes and Traore?

Probably none of them at present but its a squad game and if we are interested then in a long season he could well get a decent amount of minutes, especially with 5 subs allowed to be used in a game.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
we shouldn’t sign him then. any signing in the current climate has to improve the first 11 and push one of the existing players out. we can’t afford squad padding
Probably none of them at present but its a squad game and if we are interested then in a long season he could well get a decent amount of minutes, especially with 5 subs allowed to be used in a game.

NothingButNeto

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
we shouldn’t sign him then. any signing in the current climate has to improve the first 11 and push one of the existing players out. we can’t afford squad padding

Glad you aren’t in charge on transfers. This is incredibly short sighted and I think most fans agree that our starting 11 is pretty strong. We need coverage in the midfield to help see out games and the inevitable suspensions with yellows.

Back
Top Bottom