Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Fabio Silva watch

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sounds like Kompany wanted him twice then, while still at Anderlecht and now at Burnley.

Can't really knock the move to PSV but Burnley would've been the initial better option if they were also interested in the summer.
Think Burnley in January would have been a decent loan.....would have been a bit hesitant in the summer as nobody has a glass ball and could see what was gonna happen at Burnley under kompany.......he needed guaranteed game time in the summer so Anderlecht was ideal...

Had a summer loan move failed it could have been disastrous for Fabio and the club.......

oldgolded

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A spell at Burnley would have given us a far better assessment of Fabio than either the Belgian or Dutch leagues, but maybe not quite so glamorous.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Think Burnley in January would have been a decent loan.....would have been a bit hesitant in the summer as nobody has a glass ball and could see what was gonna happen at Burnley under kompany.......he needed guaranteed game time in the summer so Anderlecht was ideal...

Had a summer loan move failed it could have been disastrous for Fabio and the club.......

Agree with that but think given he was at Anderlecht before Christmas, PSV makes sense for the second half of the season.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think Jeff was taken in as much as us the fans were. He was described as a 'wonderkid' long before Wolves signed him. He was feted in the E&S by Rui Miguel Martins and Alex Concalves, so-called 'Portuguese football experts' who described him as a 'prodigy' and a 'generational talent'. He was also compared to Ronaldo (not the fat one).
Such people built Silva up to something he hasn't been able to live up to and his agent (you know the one) marketed him as such for obvious, financial reasons.
I don't talk for other fans, although I guess that a lot knew as much about Fabio as I did and like me, read as much about him as they could. Personally, I was really excited by the signing, based on so-called 'experts', however, the reality is that he is anything but what he was made out to be.
As for the fee; of course that's nothing to do with Fabio, but everything to do with his agent and advisors who have probably sold the kid short. However, when a player is built-up such and bought for what was a club record fee at the time, fans expect a little more than from an academy prospect and rightly call it for what it is, when the reality doesn't live up to the hype.

optimuswolf

Reaction score
This will sound a bit arsey as PSV are a bigger club than wolves but if he cant get good game time with their striking options and goals in that league, then he's not going to make it with us.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think Jeff was taken in as much as us the fans were. He was described as a 'wonderkid' long before Wolves signed him. He was feted in the E&S by Rui Miguel Martins and Alex Concalves, so-called 'Portuguese football experts' who described him as a 'prodigy' and a 'generational talent'. He was also compared to Ronaldo (not the fat one).
Such people built Silva up to something he hasn't been able to live up to and his agent (you know the one) marketed him as such for obvious, financial reasons.
I don't talk for other fans, although I guess that a lot knew as much about Fabio as I did and like me, read as much about him as they could. Personally, I was really excited by the signing, based on so-called 'experts', however, the reality is that he is anything but what he was made out to be.
As for the fee; of course that's nothing to do with Fabio, but everything to do with his agent and advisors who have probably sold the kid short. However, when a player is built-up such and bought for what was a club record fee at the time, fans expect a little more than from an academy prospect and rightly call it for what it is, when the reality doesn't live up to the hype.
Tbf he was scoring for fun in the junior leagues and looked to be progressing well
We had to throw him in far earlier than planned with injuries, and it was always going to be a struggle for him
His confidence was hit and with strikers its all about confidence,he has the ability for sure,and just maybe a few months with Costa would help him a lot,but he needs game time to get that ego back, and just maybe he will prove all of the doubters wrong next year

Streathamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nor the fans, paying to watch a team with one of the worst goal scoring records in recent decades. Understandable they would get a bit edgy on where the money was spent.
Nothing wrong with feeling edgy or angry or frustrated, as most of us did. None of these are an excuse for bullying a teenager.

Rauls Headband

Reaction score
Really feel for the kid.

A ridiculous price tag was put on his head, labelled a 'generational talent' and saddled with all the fan expectation that came with both of those things, at just the age of 18.

Joined the club in a completely disruptive time in the midst of a global pandemic and all the associated restrictions which was hard for anyone, never mind an 18 year old leaving behind his home and going to a new country.

Came into a team who had just sold their 2nd and 3rd highest goal scorers (Jota and Doherty), and whose main striker was shortly after taken out with a horrific injury and then almost expected to fill in all of those shoes and their goals (because Willian Jose did such a good job right?!)

Then had to play in empty stadiums, no fans, with a head coach who was also clearly struggling with the whole situation, to then see that head coach unceremoniously dumped.

Then playing under a new head coach (who it turns out was the Portuguese Dean Saunders), in the 20/21 season still scored 4 goals and got 3 assists (compare that to our current goal scorers), with an average of 49 minutes per match, yet was frequently behind Hwang (Lages Cookie Monster), in the pecking order who in the same season scored 5 goals, 1 assist, with an average of 66 minutes per match.

In the backdrop of what is increasingly obvious was a toxic environment, with Lage losing the dressing room, issues with back room staff, he's then pushed down the pecking order even further with the signing of Sasa.

I think some may want to consider cutting him a bit of slack when you take all of that into consideration. Personally, seeing his natural movement and instinct for goal, with some good mentoring and coaching, and increasing his physicality I think he could come big for us in the future, hopefully we sees that future too and hasn't become disengaged from Wolves FC.

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To be fair to him he has improved from the time we bought him until now but the most we should have paid should have been 10 million as a punt.

Yes, he has improved in speed and strength and is still only 20. 11 goals for Anderlecht is decent at his age. We will know for sure his true potential in two years time and i still think he is physically developing.

We are all thinking to ourselves can we just claw 15-20 million back if he has a purple patch?

I and many others thought shi had lost his mind spending 35 million on a player with so few appearances for porto at the time.

Furthermore, shi's comments about fabio's value doubling made me worry about him dabbling in football matters when there are better placed people who can make those judgements.

wolvesaywe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Really feel for the kid.

A ridiculous price tag was put on his head, labelled a 'generational talent' and saddled with all the fan expectation that came with both of those things, at just the age of 18.

Joined the club in a completely disruptive time in the midst of a global pandemic and all the associated restrictions which was hard for anyone, never mind an 18 year old leaving behind his home and going to a new country.

Came into a team who had just sold their 2nd and 3rd highest goal scorers (Jota and Doherty), and whose main striker was shortly after taken out with a horrific injury and then almost expected to fill in all of those shoes and their goals (because Willian Jose did such a good job right?!)

Then had to play in empty stadiums, no fans, with a head coach who was also clearly struggling with the whole situation, to then see that head coach unceremoniously dumped.

Then playing under a new head coach (who it turns out was the Portuguese Dean Saunders), in the 20/21 season still scored 4 goals and got 3 assists (compare that to our current goal scorers), with an average of 49 minutes per match, yet was frequently behind Hwang (Lages Cookie Monster), in the pecking order who in the same season scored 5 goals, 1 assist, with an average of 66 minutes per match.

In the backdrop of what is increasingly obvious was a toxic environment, with Lage losing the dressing room, issues with back room staff, he's then pushed down the pecking order even further with the signing of Sasa.

I think some may want to consider cutting him a bit of slack when you take all of that into consideration. Personally, seeing his natural movement and instinct for goal, with some good mentoring and coaching, and increasing his physicality I think he could come big for us in the future, hopefully we sees that future too and hasn't become disengaged from Wolves FC.
Wolves look after their loan players as well as anyone. No chance Fabio is disengaged. Matt Jackson is doing a cracking job across the board

bully9

Reaction score
Unfortunately I think we can forget about him having much of a future at Wolves.
As for Fabio, hopefully he does well for the rest of the season at PSV, has a great preseason and is named as CF in the first league game of 23/24........ if he's not playing a significant role in the Wolves first team next year then it will be another waste of millions.
I really don’t get why people keep going on about his price , we never paid the invoice Foson did , you can argue we could of spent the money in a different way but I aye are money is it

BrierleyHillWolves

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Really feel for the kid.

Well written , some on here still won't get it

BrierleyHillWolves

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Jo Lescott and Matt Murray are loved by all Wolves fans .

But they made mistakes , everyone does

I feel if they were coming through now with social media and most fans being experts on having a negative opinion they'd get slatted and not good enough.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We are all thinking to ourselves can we just claw 15-20 million back if he has a purple patch?
In a market where Cunha costs 55 million...no no we're not. We haven't got a better striker than the one who is 20. It's an utter joke that he's not here now to help us out.

Belgian league has had Mitoma from brighton scoring a modest amount/ not playing every week. PSV had Gakpo scoring a modest amount of goals. We've got a guy playing at that level of football aged 20. And you want to flog him for 15-20 million? Is that so we can just say he's a failure now?

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A spell at Burnley would have given us a far better assessment of Fabio than either the Belgian or Dutch leagues, but maybe not quite so glamorous.
Dutch League is ****, Championship is great…? Righto.

Jd132

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I haven't written off Fabio or Sasa yet. For me, both come back into the First Team squad fold next season in the places of Costa and Raul.

I would slightly hedge my bets though and would also like to see Julen given whichever CF in world football he fancies. Those options would then be **** hot.

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
the next five months will be a good indicator. Anderlecht were awful, PSV are considerably better.

giantwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wolves look after their loan players as well as anyone. No chance Fabio is disengaged. Matt Jackson is doing a cracking job across the board

Hope you're right as that's good news for all concerned

He/she is right. We’re worlds away from where we were a few years ago. Matt is doing a great job at placement, monitoring and on going engagement

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with feeling edgy or angry or frustrated, as most of us did. None of these are an excuse for bullying a teenager.

When was he "bullied"? Anyone who doesn't deliver when they are getting paid huge amounts will get criticised. And yes, he got criticised. But even then, considering the clubs decline since he joined, has had plenty of defenders. Most of the criticism has been aimed at the club for putting too much on one so young. If he can't take criticism (I'm sure he can, though) then he's in the wrong career!

Supadavewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
the next five months will be a good indicator. Anderlecht were awful, PSV are considerably better.
4 months (season ends 28 May I believe), 15 matches to go, so I agree it will give some indication - assuming he can settle quickly and get the minutes on the pitch.

Having said that, it's his third new base and his third new country (plus third new language to date, though I get English will feature strongly) in a calendar year, which must be a challenge for any young player. So, if he doesn't excel at PSV, I'll still not write him off.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
When was he "bullied"? Anyone who doesn't deliver when they are getting paid huge amounts will get criticised. And yes, he got criticised. But even then, considering the clubs decline since he joined, has had plenty of defenders. Most of the criticism has been aimed at the club for putting too much on one so young. If he can't take criticism (I'm sure he can, though) then he's in the wrong career!
Remember him posting a photo of himself on twitter, either early last season or late in his first season here, no comment to go with it, just a photo. The comments that were made on the post were pretty much all derogatory towards him - and none to do with his hair!

I'm sure he can handle it, seems a really strong character to me, and with what he's done so far for someone still so young suggests the online abuse/bullying he's got is water off a duck's back

CodsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I agree the fee had nothing to do with Fabio himself. It’s everything to do with Jeff though. I assume he is ultimately accountable for the risk/benefit decision associated with each fee for each player. He makes that call based upon the advice he gets on the player from the staff he employs and the business partners he chooses to trust. He then weighs that advice up with an acute understanding of the financial implications of such a fee on our ability to operate in the market.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Remember him posting a photo of himself on twitter, either early last season or late in his first season here, no comment to go with it, just a photo. The comments that were made on the post were pretty much all derogatory towards him - and none to do with his hair!

I'm sure he can handle it, seems a really strong character to me, and with what he's done so far for someone still so young suggests the online abuse/bullying he's got is water off a duck's back

OK, I don't do Twitter, only here and the other Wolves site. Though we all know that Twitter and other aspects of social media can be utter cesspits! That's another issue - and abuse of footballers has been around decades.

My overall feeling is that the club is more important than any one player. We didn't buy him to do him a favour, or to have a great career elsewhere, or to *not* score goals for us. He may be a great guy, but we have been flirting with the bottom 6 since around the time of his arrival. - and though some say we should "just ignore the fee", I would rather not, as it's an elephant-in-the-room situation. He's more than adequately compensated for his efforts.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
OK, I don't do Twitter, only here and the other Wolves site. Though we all know that Twitter and other aspects of social media can be utter cesspits! That's another issue - and abuse of footballers has been around decades.

My overall feeling is that the club is more important than any one player. We didn't buy him to do him a favour, or to have a great career elsewhere, or to *not* score goals for us. He may be a great guy, but we have been flirting with the bottom 6 since around the time of his arrival. - and though some say we should "just ignore the fee", I would rather not, as it's an elephant-in-the-room situation. He's more than adequately compensated for his efforts.

Er, yeah that's just a thinly veiled attack on his transfer. His transfer here had nothing to do with the drop off we suffered, although you're tenuously linking the two, and what does his wage have to do with anything? Seems like you're bitter towards Silva himself. Which is absolutely barking up the wrong tree

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
He may be a great guy, but we have been flirting with the bottom 6 since around the time of his arrival.
This season we have and he’s not here
His first season we finished 13th we didn’t flirt with relegation last season we were top half of the table.
To say he hasn’t been singled out and bullied is absurd

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Aside working with one of the great goalscorers of modern times and playing at a higher level (at least in the European games, potentially) part of me thinks if it was our decision, PSV is perhaps a better 'shop window' loan than Burnley or Anderlecht just in case he or we decide to part ways. And I don't think anybody would blame us for that.

Reactions: Ian

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Aside working with one of the great goalscorers of modern times and playing at a higher level (at least in the European games, potentially) part of me thinks if it was our decision, PSV is perhaps a better 'shop window' loan than Burnley or Anderlecht just in case he or we decide to part ways. And I don't think anybody would blame us for that.
Said this before.....not convinced Fabio won't be part of the Portuguese exodus that looks inevitable in the summer.....(regardless of the situation we find ourselves in)..

Once the main two go Neves and moutinho, the rest will follow... ..the recruitment in January suggest a different approach is already underway...

Back
Top Bottom