Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

So who’s the plan B ?

rg4352

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not too sure I'm bothered about the behind the scenes stuff. I'm more concerned with someone who gets consistent results, however that's achieved.

You can get too focussed on the player interaction/social stuff. Bruno struggled with interaction and team cohesion so you go for someone who is strong in this regard. Problem is when it all goes wrong people start saying that he's too close to the players, it's all too friendly and there needs to be some distance between the players and management.

Perhaps, but considering the fact Bruno was allegedly so bad at that, bringing someone in who is good at it, may be a key factor in motivating and energising a team that hasn’t had it for a year or so

fleck1

Reaction score
Surely we must try to talk to AVB as a sounding exercies, if he goes no still not interested in football its a 5 min conversation.

Id love to actually see the shortlist..

or is it mendes's phonebook, with sellars shouting at the back (svensson, jeff add him on there, thats my choice)
Why do you assume this isn't already the case? As you say its a 5 min conversation. I'm certain all these names mentioned will have been sounded out, its a small world with the biggest agent in football working with us. We will know if Potch, Tuchel, AvB are interested or interested in having a conversation, just because we feel we feel we are an exciting proposition with exciting players it doesn't mean that's how we are viewed in the wider football world.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why do you assume this isn't already the case? As you say its a 5 min conversation. I'm certain all these names mentioned will have been sounded out, its a small world with the biggest agent in football working with us. We will know if Potch, Tuchel, AvB are interested or interested in having a conversation, just because we feel we feel we are an exciting proposition with exciting players it doesn't mean that's how we are viewed in the wider football world.
Agreed im hoping they have been made.

But given shi flying to spain to convince lopetegui, it appears the other shortlist is limited. I mean percy suggesting we will talk to other candidate this week.

We will see i guess maybe by tomorrow who has been sounded out next.

rg4352

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Surely we must try to talk to AVB as a sounding exercies, if he goes no still not interested in football its a 5 min conversation.

Id love to actually see the shortlist..

or is it mendes's phonebook, with sellars shouting at the back (svensson, jeff add him on there, thats my choice)

I heard that we did sound out AVB (around the time when he was seen at the game) but he turned us down, no idea if true but would make sense considering he was at the game but has been dead quiet on him since - strange considering he’s seemingly available and we haven’t got to negotiate with another club.

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Think with AVB is, aside from his brilliant spell at Porto which seems about 10 years ago, has he really done much of note since? Other than take two high profile jobs in London?
Genuine question by the way.

fleck1

Reaction score
Agreed im hoping they have been made.

But given shi flying to spain to convince lopetegui, it appears the other shortlist is limited. I mean percy suggesting we will talk to other candidate this week.

We will see i guess maybe by tomorrow who has been sounded out next.
I don't see the issue with Shi flying out to speak with Lopetegui, he has clearly been a Fosun target from day one. Why would you not go all out for your number one target, obviously Shi wanted to meet in person to discuss his personal circumstances and see if a deal could be done.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't see the issue with Shi flying out to speak with Lopetegui, he has clearly been a Fosun target from day one. Why would you not go all out for your number one target, obviously Shi wanted to meet in person to discuss his personal circumstances and see if a deal could be done.
Seemed all eggs in one basket thats all, and agreed you want him you go after.
It just appears a set back with 3 games in 8 days that are really important for our season right now.

With a team which looked no better under lage than it has done with davis and collins, infact even worse at points

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Judging by how they’ve managed our striker situation over the years, I doubt they have a plan B. Or any plan at all.

I’d say they’re probably brain storming in a board meeting right now, with the junior exec manically writing and crossing through names and suggestions on a flip chart.

Burford T Justice

Reaction score
Biggest reason not to go for Martins is that there's a major difference between taking over a club competing for titles and then a club in the mess we're currently in.

In that regard I really don't see how he fits? And no I'm not advocating we go for a Pullis style manager.
But I'd like to see someone that has more experience from a bigger challenge than winning titles in Greece.
Not necessarily a bigger job, but a harder challenge.

Having said that all the good things I've heard about Martins probably could work with us as well. And honestly, surviving that many seasons and Olympiacos also takes something special.
Out of curiosity where were Maritimo or Vitoria Guimares when he took over there?

People seem against him because he worked in Greece and was successful there (strange imo) but I would argue he was more successful in Portugal before that

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Think with AVB is, aside from his brilliant spell at Porto which seems about 10 years ago, has he really done much of note since? Other than take two high profile jobs in London?
Genuine question by the way.
Did a very good job at Marseille, until he quit due to a player being signed above his head.

bod101

Admin & No.4
Reaction score
Has anyone considered Vincent Kompany? and if not why not?

Further to my new quest to get Vincent Kompany

i've made a new thread to potentially discuss

Last edited:

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Out of curiosity where were Maritimo or Vitoria Guimares when he took over there?

People seem against him because he worked in Greece and was successful there (strange imo) but I would argue he was more successful in Portugal before that
Maritimo were 5th in 09/10

Martins took over in 2010

And had these finishes -

10/11 - 9th
11/12 - 5th
12/13 -10th
13/14 - 6h

Rio Ave -

finished 10th before his start
14/15 -10th
15/16 - 6th

Vitoria

Before 10th

16/17 - 4th
17/18 - 9th

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My worry with that piece is if we appoint Martins then we appear to be scraping the bottom of the barrel before he can even demonstrate he was bottom of the barrel. It just wouldn’t be a good look and will be a stick to beat him and the club by unless he is an instant hit. His record doesn’t really inspire me, obviously good at Olympiacos but elsewhere less than 45% win rate other than 8 games at Maritimo B. He succeeded Nuno at Rio Ave and achieved a win rate of 35.6% compared to Nuno’s 40%.

To regain credibility the club have to get Svennson or someone who hasn’t been spoken about a lot. There have been noises about Fonseca who apparently wants to manage in the Premiership, missed out at Spurs and Newcastle.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My worry with that piece is if we appoint Martins then we appear to be scraping the bottom of the barrel before he can even demonstrate he was bottom of the barrel. It just wouldn’t be a good look and will be a stick to beat him and the club by unless he is an instant hit. His record doesn’t really inspire me, obviously good at Olympiacos but elsewhere less than 45% win rate other than 8 games at Maritimo B. He succeeded Nuno at Rio Ave and achieved a win rate of 35.6% compared to Nuno’s 40%.

To regain credibility the club have to get Svennson or someone who hasn’t been spoken about a lot. There have been noises about Fonseca who apparently wants to manage in the Premiership, missed out at Spurs and Newcastle.
Fonseca lets go for it. if we can prise him from lille

Norwegian Wolf

Reaction score
Seemed all eggs in one basket thats all, and agreed you want him you go after.
It just appears a set back with 3 games in 8 days that are really important for our season right now.

With a team which looked no better under lage than it has done with davis and collins, infact even worse at points
I would rather be 1-0 down with Davis/Collins in charge than Bruno. At least they picked a centre half, played our best attacking player in his best position and made some sensible substitutions.

tonto

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I can’t help but think there is more to this than meets the eye, did he not get assurances he wanted re money to spend
It must have been common knowledge his personal situation so what were the talks about

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I would rather be 1-0 down with Davis/Collins in charge than Bruno. At least they picked a centre half, played our best attacking player in his best position and made some sensible substitutions.
most certainly picked the right team 4-2-3-1 but as a team we didnt look better in the slightest.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I can’t help but think there is more to this than meets the eye, did he not get assurances he wanted re money to spend
It must have been common knowledge his personal situation so what were the talks about
I think thats reading to much into it, he was sold on wolves, he was sold on the team, and the project. What he couldnt forsee was his dad's health at the wrong time after leaving sevilla.

He can literally spend months with his dad right now as he outs of a job, chosing family over career right now for him, when you have the ability to. Cant judge for that.

Ballague was saying it was a heavy hearted decision, its just a case of wrong time.

Chisels_n_ommers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Further to my new quest to get Vincent Kompany

i've made a new thread to potentially discuss

Now I think I know, what you're trying to say to me - Vincent is well worth contemplating.

Rangiora Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There's a real possibility that all of our targets will turn us down. We are in a dire situation from management all the way down to the pitch with a likelihood of relegation. Why would someone put their careers at risk with such a suicidal move.

Mighty Thor

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Jeff, lad, here’s what to do….

Get old nuno back on a contract till end of season to keep us up. It’s low risk. He knows the players, he knows the club. He knows the fans. He knows the town. He knows the league and what it may take to keep us up.

During the season work on a more permenant managerial appointment. At the end of the season, pay nuno for keeping us up. Sack sellers. Make nuno director of football. New I rushed managerial appointment made with full preseason and transfer window.

It’s call planning, Jeff lad. Nuno on a short term deal allows you to make an unrushed longer term appointment with low risk.

lobodelsur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I would imagine that Lopetegui was 1st choice because of his ability to bring through and sell at profit young players (part of Shi's breif) whilst also consistently delivering European football for Sevilla. So I guess they will be looking for someone with a similar profile. Trouble is, there's not so many around, (but one thing it does require is experience so I doubt Svensson will be the man).

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I would imagine that Lopetegui was 1st choice because of his ability to bring through and sell at profit young players (part of Shi's breif) whilst also consistently delivering European football for Sevilla. So I guess they will be looking for someone with a similar profile. Trouble is, there's not so many around, (but one thing it does require is experience so I doubt Svensson will be the man).
i think svensson is the scouting/sellars choice.

With shi relying on anything mendes.

Loefah

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
There's a real possibility that all of our targets will turn us down. We are in a dire situation from management all the way down to the pitch with a likelihood of relegation. Why would someone put their careers at risk with such a suicidal move.
We're only 9 games into the season, 4 points behind Liverpool in mid-table. It's not like it's a relegation battle in January or February, so I don't think that will put many candidates off.

Kcb92

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Jeff, lad, here’s what to do….

Get old nuno back on a contract till end of season to keep us up. It’s low risk. He knows the players, he knows the club. He knows the fans. He knows the town. He knows the league and what it may take to keep us up.

During the season work on a more permenant managerial appointment. At the end of the season, pay nuno for keeping us up. Sack sellers. Make nuno director of football. New I rushed managerial appointment made with full preseason and transfer window.

It’s call planning, Jeff lad. Nuno on a short term deal allows you to make an unrushed longer term appointment with low risk.
What makes you think Nuno would a) want the job if it's only until the end of the season and 2) want a DoF role?

The more time goes on the less against Nuno I am (never thought I'd be saying that) but I can't see him wanting to be a caretaker or anything other than a manager.

Bacon Sandwich

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
If you go by the Betfair next manager market there is no plan B. No-one is being backed and there's no money being traded.

Me? I'd go for Svensson, simply because we have to get away from the Mendes/Portugal model which is now - Lage, Guedes - harming the club. And Brighton had Svensson on their short list, and their recruitment is light years ahead of ours at the moment

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For the 100th time it was hull that pulled out not him they wouldn’t meet his demands. I get that doesn’t fit the agenda but even so

Statement from Chairman: Head Coach
That in of itself should be reason not to consider Martins. If he is willing to have extended negotiations with a relegation-threatened Championship club, one who as far as I can tell do not have a 'project' in place like we did, that is a sign he either does not believe in his own ability to hold out for a Premier League club, or there are none beating his door down. As others have said, his unimpressive win percentage does not inspire confidence.

Last edited:

Peszkywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What's Svenson's record? Not essential we get someone in for Forest, would rather we take a bit longer and get a long term manager and project in.

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we win the next couple of games with the caretakers, I can see this spinning out until after the world Cup depending upon how things are with Lopetegui....

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Maritimo - 9th, 5th, 10th, 6th
3 Seasons before: 9th, 5th, 9th.
3 seasons after 9th; 13th, 6th

Vitoria Guimares - 5th and 9th.(sacked in February though)
Seasons before were 5th, 10th, 4th and after 5th, 7th, 7th.

Rio Ave - 5th and 10th. They finished 7th,5th, 7th before. 6th, 11th, 10th before

In other words he didn't do much worse or better than anyone else there. I'm sure he's not a bad coach and its fair to see I've not digged deeper into the circumstances of those league positions.
.But to me it seems like there are dozens like him out there. What make him stand out as a PL coach candidate, except from being Portuguese and having a good relationship with Mendes?
That's what I really don't get.

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That's not true at all.

We've got some very good players and look worse than we are because we were missing the entire spine on saturday. And yes, we don't have much spine anyway, lol.

Squad remains unbalanced, esp up front, but it's fixable with a properly thought out window instead of the chaotic one we did.

We also have good youngsters and facilities, and fosun did break the bank on transfers.

Lage made us look far worse than the sum of our parts, and I include sanctioning so many stalwarts leaving in one go (no chance that be didn't).

The business side is ok too, the issue is no proper footballing leadership. That's on shi to fix now or he needs to go imho.

tonto

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think thats reading to much into it, he was sold on wolves, he was sold on the team, and the project. What he couldnt forsee was his dad's health at the wrong time after leaving sevilla.

He can literally spend months with his dad right now as he outs of a job, chosing family over career right now for him, when you have the ability to. Cant judge for that.

Ballague was saying it was a heavy hearted decision, its just a case of wrong time.
But he must have know all of this from the beginning surely

Back
Top Bottom