Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Ruben Neves

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Get the feeling this isn't going to plan. As much as we want to see him here next season. Without signing a new contract we are in big trouble if we don't receive the right offer.

I doubt either Neves or Wolves would pull the trigger on a new contract before the end of the window. Think both would prefer to see if a big offer comes in first.

wolvesaywe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
With Fred and the non-entity that is Antony Martial in the team. Either Martials contract is nearly up or ETH is an immortal if he can get a tune out of that show pony
Still remember that debut goal he scored against Liverpool and thinking he was going to be something special

Just another example of why you shouldn't over or under hype youngsters as nobody in reality has a scoobies what the next few years will bring

Evthewolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
It would be utter madness to sell him now anyway. Even if they got “big money” for him and brought in 2 new midfielders, the chances of them bringing to Wolves, what Neves brings, would be slim.

There’s also the worry of seemingly being unable to attract the quality of players that would be required. I could be wrong but I think the long term plan is to build the team around him, as captain.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In amongst the malaise from another dull window, the main positive (by a mile) is that we are set to see this man play for Wolves again in the premier League.

I was about 90 percent sure he would go (so was he!) but that doesn't mean I'm not delighted to see him (probably) stay and perhaps even lead us out. A new contract would be amazing...

In a season where Brentford, Everton, Palace and Brighton have each lost their best player from last season, I thought it was basically nailed on we'd be joining that list.

The caveat is that the above teams have been able to reinvest those funds. Deep down, I probably think that would have been best for us too, but my heart rules my heart when it comes to Neves and there will be a little lump in my throat if he leads us out against Leeds

moseleyite

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In amongst the malaise from another dull window, the main positive (by a mile) is that we are set to see this man play for Wolves again in the premier League.
Just one note of caution: the window isn't closed - this applies equally as much for outgoings as it does incomings. He may be seen playing for Wolves in the top flight again but only for a couple of games. Hopefully not though!

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just one note of caution: the window isn't closed - this applies equally as much for outgoings as it does incomings. He may be seen playing for Wolves in the top flight again but only for a couple of games. Hopefully not though!
This is my worry too. When Utd or whoever get desperate to get somebody in and then just go big on him at the end of the window.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It only becomes a positive if he signs a new deal.

As it stands we’re going to lose a £50-60m player for £25m next summer.

If we know he won’t sign we should probably be pushing him towards the door, even if we have to accept £40m.

I’m saying this purely because of our financial situation. I’d love another season of Neves as a fan but the reality is our future seems dependent on selling and reinvestment.

moseleyite

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Then we reject it unless we get the time to get bodies in.

In all honesty, I think that if a late, late bid came in then this is what we do... reject it (perhaps with an understanding he can go in Jan or summer 2023). I really was just reminding that the window being open works both ways! :)

Reactions: Ned

Eastyorksyeltz

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This is my worry too. When Utd or whoever get desperate to get somebody in and then just go big on him at the end of the window.
I have felt for some weeks now that we are assuming too much about Reuben's future here and that a late bid is the most likely outcome. If it is big enough I don't see it being turned down, irrespective of the chances we might have of getting a replacement. That will be a bigger challenge than landing cover for Raul.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have felt for some weeks now that we are assuming too much about Reuben's future here and that a late bid is the most likely outcome. If it is big enough I don't see it being turned down, irrespective of the chances we might have of getting a replacement. That will be a bigger challenge than landing cover for Raul.
In one way l agree but relegation would cost Fosun way more than one big transfer fee and they know that.

Eastyorksyeltz

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In one way l agree but relegation would cost Fosun way more than one big transfer fee and they know that.
I just have a feeling they still believe they have late options they could exercise and might be prepared to gamble on these, firstly coming off and secondly being enough, to protect the overall investment.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sadly I think they would rather gamble on not investing and see what happens on their own efforts then if there is signs of trouble then and only then will they pull the uncle Jorge chord and really open the chequebook!!!!

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sadly I think they would rather gamble on not investing and see what happens on their own efforts then if there is signs of trouble then and only then will they pull the uncle Jorge chord and really open the chequebook!!!!
I hope that you are wrong. I can't help but fear that you aren't.

Summer_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

This. A relegation scrap and bottom 3 at Christmas is the only thing that would spur Fosun into action I think. Problem is, you're then into the mode of panic buying and our recruitment is poor at the best of times. I wouldn't fancy us to get it right recruiting for sheer desperation trying to stay up. Of course, all this could be prevented if Fosun bothered to strengthen the squad in the first place....

Summer_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As for Neves, I echo the concerns of a late bid from a desperate club in Man United, who look like they won't get De Jong over the line. Surely, surely though, there has to be a cut off point. Surely we have reached that cut off point now anyway? We cannot be letting him go so late in the day.

Evthewolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
As for Neves, I echo the concerns of a late bid from a desperate club in Man United, who look like they won't get De Jong over the line. Surely, surely though, there has to be a cut off point. Surely we have reached that cut off point now anyway? We cannot be letting him go so late in the day.
Yes, I just can’t see them letting him go now. It wouldn’t make any sense at all. If they sold him, they would have to get someone better to replace him, otherwise it weakens the starting 11.

Hypothetically, if they sold him for 50 million. They either buy a direct replacement (so what’s the point, who could they get that’s better)? Or they buy 2 players at around 25 million. Firstly who are they going to attract? They seem to be struggling with attracting anyone and secondly, they aren’t going to replace Neves with a 25 million pound player.

Yes, we could buy a striker as well but we surely can’t afford to weaken the midfield, as it’s already at the bare bones stage. As far as the sell to buy model goes, I just don’t think it would work. Adding quantity comes at the expense of losing quality unless you have a really shrewd recruiting policy or you get lucky.

Evthewolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I would be amazed if he went. The only players I can see leaving are Traore and possibly Boly. I think the obvious thinning out was done at the start of the window.

That leads me to believe there were also plans to bring players in and that could still happen, just not as soon as we’d have liked.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This. A relegation scrap and bottom 3 at Christmas is the only thing that would spur Fosun into action I think. Problem is, you're then into the mode of panic buying and our recruitment is poor at the best of times. I wouldn't fancy us to get it right recruiting for sheer desperation trying to stay up. Of course, all this could be prevented if Fosun bothered to strengthen the squad in the first place....
I don’t think if we hit crisis time purchase the job will be left in the hands of the internal recruitment team in any capacity other than paperwork and admin jockeys and it will be done by Jorge mendes and his people.

Sounds silly, but I don’t think this recruitment team are anywhere near up to that task as they can’t close deals “quickly” or timely manor in a summer window with significantly less pressure on them.

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Neves is going no where. Paulina was his replacement (and has been for the last 2 years). As soon as we pulled out that deal, Neves was staying.

Yes it was quite obvious that Palhinha was the replacement, especially with the new position Neves play, where he protects the back 4 a bit more.
I'd say Neves is perfect for that role, but Palhinha hadnt been a bad replacement.
Selling Neves now would be really bad, not only because he's a tremendous player, but because his role is even more important to the team now. Biggest problem for me is, if he gets injured or suspended, we've nobody else to come in and play that combined defensive midfielder/playmaker role. Moutinho has the playmaker skills, but not the defensive. Dendoncker has the defensive skills, but not the playmaking skills.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thought the pictures on Instagram of neves kids playing football on the pitch after the sporting game were brilliant.....and Pedro gonvales was playing with them.... remember when it was rumoured Pedro left cause he was homesick and that Neves had him moved into the family home to try and help..... looking at those pictures I would say it was definitely true ...

R

reanswolf

The club and most fans admittedly saw Palhinha as a Neves replacement, I just don’t see that at all. For me it shows how simply they assess midfield.

Neves is a brilliant creative CM albeit a defensive one. Palhinha is more an enforcer aka Mike Bailey- type . IMO he would have complimented Neves wonderfully. But yes even then we would have needed an attacking type like Almeida who loves running with the ball.

IMO that would have been a fresher, more- balanced younger midfield unit than Neves Mouts Donk.

Mouts and Donk as back up potentially. We are stuck in a rut with the current midfield.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The club and most fans admittedly saw Palhinha as a Neves replacement, I just don’t see that at all. For me it shows how simply they assess midfield.

Neves is a brilliant creative CM albeit a defensive one. Palhinha is more an enforcer aka Mike Bailey- type . IMO he would have complimented Neves wonderfully. But yes even then we would have needed an attacking type like Almeida who loves running with the ball.

IMO that would have been a fresher, more- balanced younger midfield unit than Neves Mouts Donk.

Mouts and Donk as back up potentially. We are stuck in a rut with the current midfield.
If you think Moutinho and Neves are one dimensional, god only knows what Neves and Palinha would be.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Completely agree mate!

I have to say dendonker has shown very little this pre-season. He looks a lot fitter which is great but he is just so ineffective in key moments or when he needs to put his foot in.

BUT Connor Ronan has looked tidy all pre-season and was the best part of the midfield last night and it is sad he didn’t get a look in on the Saturday night game.

He has good passing and is very tidy on the ball.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thats a bit like the perennial January window hope. And it never comes to fruition.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thats a bit like the perennial January window hope. And it never comes to fruition.
I agree, but IF relegation is a possibility FOSUN will protect the investment.

We go down and the work of the last few years and brand building via e-sports, Chinese megastore and fashion lines and record label take a major hit and they won’t want that

R

reanswolf

If you think Moutinho and Neves are one dimensional, god only knows what Neves and Palinha would be.
I love them both but Mouts is getting old, that’s all. Find where I’ve ever said they are one- dimensional? You won’t .

Both are excellent technically but Mouts can’t go on forever.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I love them both but Mouts is getting old, that’s all. Find where I’ve ever said they are one- dimensional? You won’t .

Both are excellent technically but Mouts can’t go on forever.
Personal opinion but neves and Moutinho compliment each other much more than Palinha and Neves do. I’ve said before but the issue in the past has been formation over anything else. In a 343 you absolutely need two players in the middle who sit otherwise that back 3 is exceptionally vulnerable unless you tuck the wing backs in which makes teams even more defensive. Hopefully if pre season is anything to go on 433 or 4231 will allow the midfield to play a bit higher and be more effective on the ball which is where Moutinho and neves will excel as both pick passes much better than Palinha can.

R

reanswolf

Personal opinion but neves and Moutinho compliment each other much more than Palinha and Neves do. I’ve said before but the issue in the past has been formation over anything else. In a 343 you absolutely need two players in the middle who sit otherwise that back 3 is exceptionally vulnerable unless you tuck the wing backs in which makes teams even more defensive. Hopefully if pre season is anything to go on 433 or 4231 will allow the midfield to play a bit higher and be more effective on the ball which is where Moutinho and neves will excel as both pick passes much better than Palinha can.
And I do understand that thinking.

I agree the 4-3-3 will potentially narrow that gap but I hold the opinion that mobility is still a major issue in our midfield. Only time will tell.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And I do understand that thinking.

I agree the 4-3-3 will potentially narrow that gap but I hold the opinion that mobility is still a major issue in our midfield. Only time will tell.
I agree with that and an additional midfielder who can carry the ball will fix that, my point is Palinha isn’t that player. Nunes could be but I think he’s got bigger fish to fry. Personally I’d like to see a 4231 with Neves and Moutinho in the “two” in front of the defence and MGW or Podence in the “3” with a floating role playing in the gaps.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I agree, but IF relegation is a possibility FOSUN will protect the investment.

We go down and the work of the last few years and brand building via e-sports, Chinese megastore and fashion lines and record label take a major hit and they won’t want that
I would like to think that.
But they almost have set themselves up to fail - with departures and no attacking signings. And having Sellars as the top football man.
Who wants to buy a product in China from a failing English club.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I would like to think that.
But they almost have set themselves up to fail - with departures and no attacking signings. And having Sellars as the top football man.
Who wants to buy a product in China from a failing English club.
I think they want us to do well and the success of the first few Nuno years have possibly given them an impression of football that just isn’t the norm as who else has done what we did and have done in that quick a period of time in this bigger money and insane transfer fee period of football?

Scott sellers, I think gets alway with a lot as he has the “Man City” aura and name on his CV and to non footballing people that will give him an air of authority and seeming gravitas that we are really to see any signs of him deserving at wolves. Fosun not knowing football may take his word on a lot of stuff and also he seems to be a yes man for Jeff which further seems to be a potential issue.

I have worked with guys who to anyone else would be described as “on the way down” in terms of clubs they left to join in successive moves and the owner who wasn’t as close to it or football as we were or the people I knew at other clubs in their scenarios were thought there opinion meant more than ours just because of the names on the CV of the person from a more prestigious club and not their track record of success or even ability to create anything themselves.

It is why I think that if push came to shove, they will invest and if that rapid and saviour type of window is needed, I don’t think they will let sellers or his team have much of any say and simply be their to sign the paperwork and be admin jockeys for Jorge and his team who would be trusted to bring the player to the table and do the finer contract points within a certain financial budget.

Before people say that scenario is unlikely I know 3 transfers involving big names where this happened to stop leaks out of the club and risk the transfer being stolen by a rival.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think they want us to do well and the success of the first few Nuno years have possibly given them an impression of football that just isn’t the norm as who else has done what we did and have done in that quick a period of time in this bigger money and insane transfer fee period of football?

Scott sellers, I think gets alway with a lot as he has the “Man City” aura and name on his CV and to non footballing people that will give him an air of authority and seeming gravitas that we are really to see any signs of him deserving at wolves. Fosun not knowing football may take his word on a lot of stuff and also he seems to be a yes man for Jeff which further seems to be a potential issue.

I have worked with guys who to anyone else would be described as “on the way down” in terms of clubs they left to join in successive moves and the owner who wasn’t as close to it or football as we were or the people I knew at other clubs in their scenarios were thought there opinion meant more than ours just because of the names on the CV of the person from a more prestigious club and not their track record of success or even ability to create anything themselves.

It is why I think that if push came to shove, they will invest and if that rapid and saviour type of window is needed, I don’t think they will let sellers or his team have much of any say and simply be their to sign the paperwork and be admin jockeys for Jorge and his team who would be trusted to bring the player to the table and do the finer contract points within a certain financial budget.

Before people say that scenario is unlikely I know 3 transfers involving big names where this happened to stop leaks out of the club and risk the transfer being stolen by a rival.
That makes so much sense. And a positive view of keeping the powder dry now and using Sellars as a nightwatchman.
Of course us poor fans have to watch the dull football that is pursuant of that passive policy.

Back
Top Bottom