Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Ruben Neves

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Mmmmmmmm………..
?

The Shanghai store has been a mega focus of Jeff and he gushed about it on the website in an article about its move to an even better location that is part of the hotspot of the bund financial area.

I think fosun will sell the football club and look to keep some shares in the “leisure” side of the business like this.

R

reanswolf

I agree with that and an additional midfielder who can carry the ball will fix that, my point is Palinha isn’t that player. Nunes could be but I think he’s got bigger fish to fry. Personally I’d like to see a 4231 with Neves and Moutinho in the “two” in front of the defence and MGW or Podence in the “3” with a floating role playing in the gaps.
I don’t think he is that player although he certainly can dribble and move with the ball, I know we need a more attacking CM but I also think we need a Joao replacement and that is where he comes in. We shouldn’t be relying on him at his age, sadly.

wolvesjoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think they want us to do well and the success of the first few Nuno years have possibly given them an impression of football that just isn’t the norm as who else has done what we did and have done in that quick a period of time in this bigger money and insane transfer fee period of football?

Scott sellers, I think gets alway with a lot as he has the “Man City” aura and name on his CV and to non footballing people that will give him an air of authority and seeming gravitas that we are really to see any signs of him deserving at wolves. Fosun not knowing football may take his word on a lot of stuff and also he seems to be a yes man for Jeff which further seems to be a potential issue.

I have worked with guys who to anyone else would be described as “on the way down” in terms of clubs they left to join in successive moves and the owner who wasn’t as close to it or football as we were or the people I knew at other clubs in their scenarios were thought there opinion meant more than ours just because of the names on the CV of the person from a more prestigious club and not their track record of success or even ability to create anything themselves.

It is why I think that if push came to shove, they will invest and if that rapid and saviour type of window is needed, I don’t think they will let sellers or his team have much of any say and simply be their to sign the paperwork and be admin jockeys for Jorge and his team who would be trusted to bring the player to the table and do the finer contract points within a certain financial budget.

Before people say that scenario is unlikely I know 3 transfers involving big names where this happened to stop leaks out of the club and risk the transfer being stolen by a rival.
Well Leicester is the obvious example.

Promoted in 2014, champions two years later, FA Cup winners and an average of 8th position since the title season.
Including two top 5 finishes.

They have to be our role model in my view, and show what is possible.

Could Leicester break into the top 6? They have come very close.

Fosun, by now, with six years of ownership behind them, must also know this, of course, as well as knowing
just how hard that challenge is. The revisions to FFP have made it somewhat harder as the wage ceiling means the
art of managing a relatively smaller squad becomes more pressured.

But on the other hand, the top group have become more unstable, more prone to crisis, and evermore entitled fans. The Leicesters and Wolves of this world have to use that advantage as well.

It remains my longheld view, that it is non-football developments holding Fosun back from a more ambitious strategy since Covid started, and Brexit impacted. They are treading water, but that is not a feasible strategy in this sphere of sport, hence the desire to sell.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Promoted in 2014, champions two years later, FA Cup winners and an average of 8th position since the title season.

Fosun, by now, with six years of ownership behind them, must also know this, of course, as well as knowing
just how hard that challenge is. The revisions to FFP have made it somewhat harder as the wage ceiling means the

But on the other hand, the top group have become more unstable, more prone to crisis, and evermore entitled fans. The Leicesters and Wolves of this world have to use that advantage as well.

It remains my longheld view, that it is non-football developments holding Fosun back from a more ambitious strategy since Covid started, and Brexit impacted. They are treading water, but that is not a feasible strategy in this sphere of sport, hence the desire to sell.
I agree, Leicester should be the aim.

But the difference is their recruitment team are levels above ours. They buy a player and sell them at peak value, they got 80m for Maguire for gods sake! That is the theft of the century! Let alone the profits on Mahrez, Kante and drinkwater.

They also have a good habit of buying the replacement before they sell. Soyuncu was there and bought in advance of Maguire being sold based on this plan. The signed fofana and if they sell him again MAJOR profit same with James Maddison.

They have reached a point where they must sell to buy also BUT they invested and have traded far better than we have and it shows how the buy young and cheaper and sell when done properly is fantastic.

Scott sellers needs to learn from them as to how to run an efficient and successful transfer and scouting team.

NewOrder306

Groupie
Reaction score
I agree with that and an additional midfielder who can carry the ball will fix that, my point is Palinha isn’t that player. Nunes could be but I think he’s got bigger fish to fry. Personally I’d like to see a 4231 with Neves and Moutinho in the “two” in front of the defence and MGW or Podence in the “3” with a floating role playing in the gaps.
Problem with that is - we don't have anyone to play the "1" :mad:

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

People,always go on about Leicester as being a role model, but they seem to forget they went bust in 2002, shafting loads of local businesses in the process, because they over stretched themselves financially and then started again with a clean sheet of paper, having written off their debts.
No thanks.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
People,always go on about Leicester as being a role model, but they seem to forget they went bust in 2002, shafting loads of local businesses in the process, because they over stretched themselves financially and then started again with a clean sheet of paper, having written off their debts.
No thanks.
Not the same ownership team or business model from 2002 as they were bought by their amazing late owner in 2010.

The new owner changed the mindset and approach of the club into one that is a great model and example to those outside the top 6.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Though the other way of viewing that is that Leicester still aren't one of the "Big 7", despite winning both league and cup in the last 8 years. It shows how deeply entrenched that Big 6 is. For all outside the Big 6 (and Everton) , positions tend to be so precarious, they can collapse rapidly. A couple of bad decisions, one change of owner is all it takes.

Is it more likely that in 5 years, Leicester will be in that top group, or back in the Championship? Not much in it.

wolvesjoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No thanks.
Well Wolves started also with a clean sheet when Morgan sold the club to Fosun for a modest sum.

Plus a decent stadium and advanced training facilities included.

Leicester seem like a very good yardstick to judge Fosun by.

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not the same ownership team or business model from 2002 as they were bought by their amazing late owner in 2010.

The new owner changed the mindset and approach of the club into one that is a great model and example to those outside the top 6.
Correct, but the new owner benefitted from the fact that the debt of the previous owners had been written off when they were re-born after 2002.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Correct, but the new owner benefitted from the fact that the debt of the previous owners had been written off when they were re-born after 2002.
But if your criticising how a club used to be run badly as the reason it cannot be a great model now, then by your reasoning surely we are a shambolic club business model due to the bhatti’s?

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This only happens if Man Utd don't push for him. We should all hope that de Jong gives up sulking and decides to sign for them imo.
There are stories that Fifpro are monitoring the DeJong situation due to the signing of big wage players and transfer fees when millions and in some cases tens of millions are owed to some players

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Finished what, 1 point above us last year?

I know, BuT teH injURIES!

Well, they've strengthened even less than we have this year!

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But they do have better owners and transfer model than us and to argue other wise is just silly!

They finished one point above us but made a European semi final…….

In their ownership they have;

won a premier league
Won an FA Cup
Won the championship
played in the champions league and got into the knockout rounds
Played in a european semi final
Made more of a serious threat to the top 6 than we have on a consistent basis
Made significant profits on their players and reinvested it very well. Only player they have struggled to find a replacement for is vardy in the same way we have wasted more money than they have in finding the heir, but ihenchio is a good prem striker who scores more goals than Fabio (but he will come good), cutrone and Jose who we have bought or paid loan fees for.

In previous years they have done very astute business and have sadly reached the same point we are also now in, needing to sell to generate funds.

But I know who has done the buy cheap sell high model far better and it ain’t us and that was the point I was making.
Finished what, 1 point above us last year?

I know, BuT teH injURIES!

Well, they've strengthened even less than we have this year!

Oliwolf44

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Think i said a while ago that if we resigned Neves i wouldnt complain we didnt sign anybody new so ball in your court Scotty Sellars.

Knowing us we wont sell him and lose out on a big profit but loan him to Barca and then let him go on a free. :tonguewink:

How great would it be to have Neves playing his career with us, from just a pure fan perspective it would be quite literally unbelievable and gives fans somebody to root for that they can get on backs of shirts knowing he aint going anywhere. Better than finishing top 4 if that was even ever a possibility.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Moutinho, Neves and Nunes would get absolutely shredded. Nunes/MGW/Podence aren't going to provide cover, Moutinho is one of the worst players in Europe for being dribbled past and Neves isn't exactly quick. The counter attacking goals we'd concede would be frightening

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I agree, Leicester should be the aim.

But the difference is their recruitment team are levels above ours. They buy a player and sell them at peak value, they got 80m for Maguire for gods sake! That is the theft of the century! Let alone the profits on Mahrez, Kante and drinkwater.

They also have a good habit of buying the replacement before they sell. Soyuncu was there and bought in advance of Maguire being sold based on this plan. The signed fofana and if they sell him again MAJOR profit same with James Maddison.

They have reached a point where they must sell to buy also BUT they invested and have traded far better than we have and it shows how the buy young and cheaper and sell when done properly is fantastic.

Scott sellers needs to learn from them as to how to run an efficient and successful transfer and scouting team.
Leicester's record was good. You obviously missed the link posted on here showing that they hadn't been making the sales lately and has a fast aging highly paid squad.....

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This only happens if Man Utd don't push for him. We should all hope that de Jong gives up sulking and decides to sign for them imo.
Barcelona owe him millions and are now tryimg to push him out. I hope that he takes them to the cleaners financially and stays put. Absolutely vile club, shame that they didn't go bust (Real are exactly the same).

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
Leicester's record was good. You obviously missed the link posted on here showing that they hadn't been making the sales lately and has a fast aging highly paid squad.....
...and the Leicester natives aren't happy. I sometimes dip into their forum as I lived in Leicester for a short while and know a few Leicester fans on there. It's been so negative recently, with the latest example being a thread called 'Are we a club on the decline?' Opening post:

"With Kasper leaving and the lack of a replacement or any signing. Are we on the d clone as a club? Have we reached our peak and that’s as good as it gets?"

"It all seems so negative and we seem to be feeling the effects of not qualifying for the champions league twice and some poor management with regards to transfers and contracts."

Monketron

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Barcelona owe him millions and are now tryimg to push him out. I hope that he takes them to the cleaners financially and stays put. Absolutely vile club, shame that they didn't go bust (Real are exactly the same).

He'll leave because Xavi has told him he won't play. Chelsea seem to be ready to pounce and they can give him the Champions League football he wants, which then frees up Man Utd to go for Neves. I'm worried.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Moutinho, Neves and Nunes would get absolutely shredded. Nunes/MGW/Podence aren't going to provide cover, Moutinho is one of the worst players in Europe for being dribbled past and Neves isn't exactly quick. The counter attacking goals we'd concede would be frightening
That defensive stat is misleading as defensive team we obviously always we defending without the ball that’s why he’s run past so much. Even in games we win we have a lower percentage possession rate so of course our midfield gets dribbled past more. Plus a vast majority of premier league teams play with an extra cm in a 4231 or 433 where nearly all of last season we played 343 which invariably meant the wing backs were pushed back and the “4” turned into a “2”

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In previous years they have done very astute business and have sadly reached the same point we are also now in, needing to sell to generate funds.

But I know who has done the buy cheap sell high model far better and it ain’t us and that was the point I was making.

Yes, I and everyone else in the world know Leicester have done well across the last few years. And it's very easy to point at teams which have done well.

But there's also an element of chance - the convergence of several unexpectedly good players all peaking at the same time. Even the owners you admire so much, as you said, haven't found a way of replacing Vardy, so they're dependent on a 35 year old's hamstrings for success. And that's with a very good manager.

Those same owners that you admire so much haven't managed to sign even 1 player (I think, still) this summer. Have they suddenly stopped being competent, or does that indicate it's very difficult to consistently do well in the transfer market?

I think part of the reason so many fans are so utterly grumpy so much of the time is that they're always comparing Wolves to whichever non-Sky-6 team is currently best.

Why aren't we like Southampton?
Why aren't we like Leicester?

Why aren't we like West Ham?
Why aren't we like....?

In reality, every club has ups and downs every few years as groups of good and bad signings/youth prospects cluster together, partly through chance, and teams rise and fall. So yes, compare us to Leicester (and our owners to their owners) if you want, but that means doing the comparison right now, as well as over the last few years, if you want to be fair.

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes, I and everyone else in the world know Leicester have done well across the last few years. And it's very easy to point at teams which have done well.

But there's also an element of chance - the convergence of several unexpectedly good players all peaking at the same time. Even the owners you admire so much, as you said, haven't found a way of replacing Vardy, so they're dependent on a 35 year old's hamstrings for success. And that's with a very good manager.

Those same owners that you admire so much haven't managed to sign even 1 player (I think, still) this summer. Have they suddenly stopped being competent, or does that indicate it's very difficult to consistently do well in the transfer market?

I think part of the reason so many fans are so utterly grumpy so much of the time is that they're always comparing Wolves to whichever non-Sky-6 team is currently best.

Why aren't we like....?

In reality, every club has ups and downs every few years as groups of good and bad signings/youth prospects cluster together, partly through chance, and teams rise and fall. So yes, compare us to Leicester (and our owners to their owners) if you want, but that means doing the comparison right now, as well as over the last few years, if you want to be fair.
You could also ask:
Why arent we like Norwich
Why arent we like Bournemouth
Why arent we like Sheffield Utd
Etc

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Yeah, Leicester of a few seasons back is the blueprint.

Not now though. They've not sold well enough since Covid and now it's coming back to bite them.

Too many older players, on too high a wage, with no time remaining on their contracts. Their succession planning hasn't been good enough recently.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
...and the Leicester natives aren't happy. I sometimes dip into their forum as I lived in Leicester for a short while and know a few Leicester fans on there. It's been so negative recently, with the latest example being a thread called 'Are we a club on the decline?' Opening post:

"With Kasper leaving and the lack of a replacement or any signing. Are we on the d clone as a club? Have we reached our peak and that’s as good as it gets?"

"It all seems so negative and we seem to be feeling the effects of not qualifying for the champions league twice and some poor management with regards to transfers and contracts."

For any model to work where you develop players and sell them, selling at the right time is so important.

You almost have to sell players when there'd be the most uproar about selling them!

We've seen it here. Despite the figure of £70m being dished about in the media, no one ever came close to offering that for Traore a few seasons back when he went through his purple patch. But we could probably have sold him for £40-50m.

Imagine if we had sold him for £40m back then? The uproar would have been deafening. But hindsight has shown that it would have been a good decision.

We probably sold Jota for the right price at the right time. A good deal all round. Patricio the same given the money offered and the replacement available.

We are in a difficult situation now with our midfield. Moutinho could leave next summer if we don't offer, or he chooses not to sign another extension. Neves and Donk would also both have a year left on their deals (assuming we take up our option to extend Donk's contract until 2024), so their transfer value is reduced, meaning we have less money incoming to sign replacements.

The pragmatic thing to do would be to either tie both Neves and Donk down to new deals, or sell them both this summer before their values start to decrease because of contract length. But you have to be able to replace them!

I do think it's a more difficult market than ever, as fewer players are probably willing to move because of the short time before World Cup squads are announced. They need to be settled and playing well.

Leicester have lost Schmeichel, as he had a year left on his deal and has moved on to lower the wage bill. They also have Bertrand, Evans, Mendy, Vardy, Amartey, Perez, Tielemans, Soyuncu and Choudhury all out of contract next summer. That's a huge chunk of their squad.

They have the added problem that Maddison is in demand (he has 2 years left) and Fofana wants to go to Chelsea (he is on a long-term contract).

Huge challenges and if I had to pick between our challenges and theirs, I'd go with ours all day!

Last edited:

Ironfistedmonk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If he stays we have to give him a new contract, even if it’s with a release clause lower than the ridiculous 70 mill I’ve seen quoted in the press that we are asking for.

If he stays and he doesn’t get a new contract then he goes for peanuts next summer or we end up with a situation like Traore where it seems he’s going to see out his contract and move for nowt

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If he stays we have to give him a new contract, even if it’s with a release clause lower than the ridiculous 70 mill I’ve seen quoted in the press that we are asking for.

If he stays and he doesn’t get a new contract then he goes for peanuts next summer or we end up with a situation like Traore where it seems he’s going to see out his contract and move for nowt

Absolutely. A realistic release clause makes him far more likely to sign a new deal.

Even if the release clause was £40m, it's still probably more than we would get next summer with 1 year left on his deal!

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Why aren't we like....?

I don’t admire their owners as you keep lazily implying to reduce my points. I simply can and have looked objectively at both and compare and contrast without bias and objectivity. And because of what I have learned about them
And what they have done and the structures they put in place think they have done a great job. But I don’t admire other peoples owners….. just a healthy appreciation and belief that we could easily do what they have done and should actually be able
To do it far better!!!! Because of the facilities and contacts at our disposal that we seemingly don’t seem to want to use…… why wouldn’t you use Jorge mendes when the market is as it is currently? Especially when he has brought us some genuine diamonds for peanuts that we shouldn’t have been able to attract because of where we were at the time of signing them. Makes the decisions of Scott sellers and Jeff even more bizzare, you have a guy who is a proven deal maker and broker of great deals and benefitted in the past and we aren’t tapping into it…. Seems like there is an element of ego on both their parts that people credit Jorge mendes more than them and the comments about not relying on one agent or source and doing it themselves and us fans needing to “trust us” was very telling to me in previous years ask wolves sessions.

I love football, and like a fair few on here watch far too much of it even many games not involving wolves in the prem and many European leagues, read the football pages in a few papers daily and have a team I follow in most leagues due to personal attachments like; juventus, Malaga, DC United and Rennes and like many on here speak to mates who support other clubs as I am the lone wolves fan in my main friendship group so get to hear lots of cool and bad stuff about others, (one of whom is a season ticket holder for
Leicester) in the league and what they are doing.

couple of fair points, but to criticise them for not being able to find a good replacement for vardy is a criticism you can make at nearly every club bar Liverpool and city. Buying premiership goal scorers is a significant challenge and so many “top” strikers from other good standard leagues fail here because of the physical demands and the far higher standard of the premier league. But they do have goals in their replacements of Ihenachio who cost a lot less than Fabio when already being proven as able to score in the prem does chip in with goals every season. I love Fabio, and think he will be a great player when he develops we spent £35m on him and the return is nowhere near as good on that transfer as their vardy replacement. Also Daka has a far better minutes to goal ratio than Fabio and cost about 7-8m less also. So they have done better than us in the regard of finding a replacement/heir to their main guy than we have. But worse case they have two striking options for when vardy does go down, we have none…… hwang has been utilised out wide by Bruno far more than centrally so he is a wide player for us.

The comparison to Leicester is very very fair when they were a club named by wolves management themselves in an ask wolves when they spoke about needing to charge more for tickets and that us peasants who go to games had been UNDERPAYING and were a contributing factor in why we aren’t competitive. Then lost more money than our increased revenue generated by not investing in the January meaning we paid more to cover the losses caused by their lack of ambition!! Leicester haven’t done that to their fans……

Also, Leicester had one of the best scouting teams and head scouts in the premier league that many others tried to poach. It isn’t luck to get as many big profit returns in Mahrez, Maguire, kante and drinkwater to name a few, that is a sign of a great scouting team. Add the rumoured fees for fofana and madison to that also and you have even greater proof of this. Also they will make a good profit on Tielmans also.

Someone or a team can just be very good at their jobs! And these people have excelled in identifying talent and being able to do good detailed analysis on them and compare them to existing premier league players based upon their key attributes. This is an area Leicester have excelled in and have reaped the rewards for building an excellent team to build their squad.

Our best cheap deals and sell high under fosun have all included a certain mr mendes, Leicester did it without being on the mendes carousel so again proof their team in charge of transfers is far better than ours. As we had a significant boost and would have never gotten neves, Jota or boly in the championship without him and probably wouldn’t have been able to as a newly promoted side if uncle Jorge wasn’t around and as influential as he used to be….. god
Please let those times return!!!!

Yea they haven’t signed anyone of note yet, sadly they have hit the point of needing to sell to buy as their squad needs evolution. It was always going to happen, but we have seemingly hit the same wall. Yes we signed Collins and that is fantastic, but we are still lacking in more areas of our squad than they are. The squad depth at Leicester is really good and with a higher injury rate, which I believe two seasons in a row was in the top 3/4 for the division to key players than us yet they have also performed better than us as their squad has far better balance and goals across the squad which we just don’t have. So their transfer business and squad building has been far superior to ours in every recent seasons.

If the transfer window closed at midnight last night and with how things stand in terms of squads, I would say that Leicester will have a better season than us.

People say if the injury bug hits we are in trouble, but they have forgotten what happens if there is a covid outbreak? We are literally very close to a catastrophe in terms of squad depth compared to Leicester who have coped far better than us in two seasons where they have been worse hit by injuries than us so the need to improve their squad is far less pressing and urgent than ours.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Ruben is a good lad, he loves the club and the fans and I believe he would sign a new contract to make sure we don’t lose out too much with a reduced fee when he does move on.

I just don’t think he would do what adama has done, not criticising adama as if I was him or his advisors and could get a good salary bump and signing bonus on a bosman I would seriously look at it if I was him…… not good for the club that showed the faith in him that no one else did to take him out of the championship and pay the amount we needed to compete the deal.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes I did miss that, I will go and find it.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Wolves expect Neves to stay​

Wolves are confident Ruben Neves will stay this summer and the club would like to talk to him about a new contract.
Neves is among the potential options at Manchester United if they are unsuccessful with their pursuit of Barcelona’s Frenkie de Jong, who is also a target for Chelsea.
Neves shares the same agent as Cristiano Ronaldo – Jorge Mendes – as he continues trying to find a solution for the Portugal star, who wants out of Old Trafford.
Neves still has two years left to run on his Wolves deal so the club are not in any rush to tie him down, but it is likely an approach will be made after the transfer window.
The relationship between player and club is good – and they would be willing to include a clause that would allow him to move on to a Champions League club.
Neves has been keen to play in Europe’s elite competition and has always been attracted to the idea of playing for Barcelona – who do have him on their list of potential new recruits, especially if they lose De Jong.
As it stands, Neves is fully focused on the new season with Wolves and making sure he is in the Portugal team at the winter World Cup in Qatar. He is set to start in their Premier League opener at Leeds on Saturday.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Was on the athletic, bout a week ago, maybe slightly more? Search Leicester it’ll be there.
Cheers mate, was going to join the athletic again this week so that is on the list to read!

Back
Top Bottom