Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Ruben Neves

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

That defensive stat is misleading as defensive team we obviously always we defending without the ball that’s why he’s run past so much. Even in games we win we have a lower percentage possession rate so of course our midfield gets dribbled past more. Plus a vast majority of premier league teams play with an extra cm in a 4231 or 433 where nearly all of last season we played 343 which invariably meant the wing backs were pushed back and the “4” turned into a “2”
Joao is in the bottom 2% of players dribbled past in Europe, that includes teams who have like 5% less possession than us. It's not misleading in the slightest, it matches exactly what you see in the games.

In fact being dribbled past in a low block is even scarier.

KBWWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Joao is in the bottom 2% of players dribbled past in Europe, that includes teams who have like 5% less possession than us. It's not misleading in the slightest, it matches exactly what you see in the games.

In fact being dribbled past in a low block is even scarier.

There's some massive 4D big brain chess going to to try and argue that our midfield being behind the run of play is actually good.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

There's some massive 4D big brain chess going to to try and argue that our midfield being behind the run of play is actually good.
You literally aren't allowed to criticise Moutinho even slightly on here. He was absolutely excellent for his first 2 seasons, and has been up and down since. Brilliant last year for e.g in the Pogba ghost game, where he was apparently bossing Pogba putting the ball through his legs and all sorts.
Which considering he was in the stand was impressive.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You literally aren't allowed to criticise Moutinho even slightly on here. He was absolutely excellent for his first 2 seasons, and has been up and down since. Brilliant last year for e.g in the Pogba ghost game, where he was apparently bossing Pogba putting the ball through his legs and all sorts.
I don’t think he’s beyond criticism, more it’s a tad OTT at times. His thirds season here he was awful with neves only slightly better but both were great last year. Tactically I think they have a really thankless task in a midfield 2 when they are consistently playing against teams playing 3. Not to mention they had to sit deep to protect the back 3. Personally I’m looking forward to see them with a back 4 behind them this season (that’s if neves stays) plus another body in midfield to help the workload

MasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I feel like this too. In my opinion someone like Nunes would easily take him out of our starting 11 by virtue that he actually dribbles forward. Aside from only doing sideways and backwards passes, his set pieces are pretty rubbish.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

I don’t think he’s beyond criticism, more it’s a tad OTT at times. His thirds season here he was awful with neves only slightly better but both were great last year. Tactically I think they have a really thankless task in a midfield 2 when they are consistently playing against teams playing 3. Not to mention they had to sit deep to protect the back 3. Personally I’m looking forward to see them with a back 4 behind them this season (that’s if neves stays) plus another body in midfield to help the workload
He absolutely wasn't anywhere close to excellent last year, at best up and down. Some games he was absolutely bossed, against some pretty average opponents. Burnley away he was up against a 2 and was absolutely dreadful. Cork & Brownhill btw

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He absolutely wasn't anywhere close to excellent last year, at best up and down. Some games he was absolutely bossed, against some pretty average opponents. Burnley away he was up against a 2 and was absolutely dreadful. Cork & Brownhill btw
I said great, never used the word excellent whatsoever

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sorry I picked the wrong word that means exactly the same thing
Dictionary definition of great is ”of an extent, amount, or intensity considerably above average.”

Excellent “extremely good; outstanding.”

He’s closer to great than excellent.

I still maintain in a 3 next year with less ground to cover, he’ll be great.

Cookyssweetleftfoot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Couldn’t resist getting your mate Paul in there could you

whitnash wolf ex.dewsbury

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
his dribbled past stats are improving year on year
down from 3/game to 2/game

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Please don't answer any calls with a Manchester number until next month Ruben :D
BBC reporting that De Jong wants to stay at Barcelona. Not sure if that means Utd will turn their attention back to Neves. On Saturday's evidence he put in 100% and without him in the side we would be in a bad way tbh.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

We should be lining up a replacement now in case he does go late on, and absolutely rip United's eyes out over the fee.

£60/70M + addons. He isn't worth that but **** the incompetent, awful *********.

Kebab Warrior

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think Moutinho’s performances become factionalised on here. He gets both over criticised and over defended. You’re a poster I genuinely respect and have a tactical understanding above most, but I’d say your criticism of Moutinho is often far out of proportion to his performances.

Regarding his dribbled past stat, you’re right it’s poor, but I’d also say the shape we’ve played and the huge chasm in front of our 2 CMs doesn’t help, plus is it better to commit a foul and give away a dangerous set piece or let the 3 CHs standing right behind you tidy up?

In any event I’d say I defend Joao disproportionately on here as I feel the stick he gets is over the top. So I’m just as guilty and I probably wind up his critics too….

Out of interest what’s Neves dribbled past stats? (Not trying to be clever, I genuinely have **** all idea).

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It does sound like we're keeping him which is good (it's brilliant if he signs a new deal), with United now going after Rabiot.

I don't know what United are doing to be honest. Obviously De Jong is better than Neves but if they can't get him, which appears the case, Ruben would be ideal. I actually think he could make one of Fred/McTominay look good as well. They do the charging around, pressing, trying to win the ball back - then give it to Neves.

That Johnny Phillips article made me think that maybe Neves to Barcelona is a done deal for 12 months time though to be honest.

He made it sound like it was all agreed this summer but Barca's issues prevented it. Would expect them to come back for him in a year when Busquets leaves and might be why Neves seems happy enough to stay.

Just hope he signs a new deal to get us a better fee but understand if he won't.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

I think Moutinho’s performances become factionalised on here. He gets both over criticised and over defended. You’re a poster I genuinely respect and have a tactical understanding above most, but I’d say your criticism of Moutinho is often far out of proportion to his performances.

Regarding his dribbled past stat, you’re right it’s poor, but I’d also say the shape we’ve played and the huge chasm in front of our 2 CMs doesn’t help, plus is it better to commit a foul and give away a dangerous set piece or let the 3 CHs standing right behind you tidy up?

In any event I’d say I defend Joao disproportionately on here as I feel the stick he gets is over the top. So I’m just as guilty and I probably wind up his critics too….

Out of interest what’s Neves dribbled past stats? (Not trying to be clever, I genuinely have **** all idea).
Yeah, I probably go OTT with it. Just annoys me that he and Donk can have a similar ineffective game but Donk is the worst player ever but Joao "kept it tidy" just because he looks better but the impact is the same.

Likewise respect your opinion.

Donk in the top 15% for the top 5 leagues in Europe.

Neves likewise very poor, similar number to Joao - bottom 5%.

Probably suggests it is the profile of player. You can get away with one of those, but with two it is not a suprise we get absolutely opened up through the midfield.

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
It does sound like we're keeping him which is good (it's brilliant if he signs a new deal), with United now going after Rabiot.

I don't know what United are doing to be honest. Obviously De Jong is better than Neves but if they can't get him, which appears the case, Ruben would be ideal. I actually think he could make one of Fred/McTominay look good as well. They do the charging around, pressing, trying to win the ball back - then give it to Neves.

That Johnny Phillips article made me think that maybe Neves to Barcelona is a done deal for 12 months time though to be honest.

He made it sound like it was all agreed this summer but Barca's issues prevented it. Would expect them to come back for him in a year when Busquets leaves and might be why Neves seems happy enough to stay.

Just hope he signs a new deal to get us a better fee but understand if he won't.
It’s likely he’ll be captain isn’t it

Kebab Warrior

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I think it’s a done deal. I also think Traore to
Barca was a done deal before last season, but with Neto’s injury we delayed until January and that’s why we let them have our pants down because they’d helped us out of a hole…

Kebab Warrior

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yeah, I probably go OTT with it. Just annoys me that he and Donk can have a similar ineffective game but Donk is the worst player ever but Joao "kept it tidy" just because he looks better but the impact is the same.

Probably suggests it is the profile of player. You can get away with one of those, but with two it is not a suprise we get absolutely opened up through the midfield.
Totally agree on your last point. We don’t get the best out of either of them playing them how we do.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Totally agree on your last point. We don’t get the best out of either of them playing them how we do.
Should be Neves + a guy who can dribble but break up play with a more attacking player in front. Personally I'd like to give Neto a run as a sort of middle of the pitch to box type. He is strong, quick and with protection behind him and options in front could be devastating.

NottsWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Captain now! Must have been awkward with Coady still there but let’s see what his leadership brings.

Be interesting to see who steps up to the plate. Always felt that it was automatically coady that did the media, so be refreshing to see what characters we have in the squad.

Deak77

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I should hope so.If he leaves at this late stage of the window then we're royally screwed. The big pivot in all of this is De Jong, if he leaves Barca then don't be surprised if a late bid comes in for our Ruben. Sky Sports will be exploding with delight on transfer deadline day with their 'big news' , not giving a stuff about where it would leave us.

Premier Quality

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

What are their “passing the ball forwards” stats?

Ian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Captain now! Must have been awkward with Coady still there but let’s see what his leadership brings.

Be interesting to see who steps up to the plate. Always felt that it was automatically coady that did the media, so be refreshing to see what characters we have in the squad.

Interesting that Bruno has said " Neves is captain for NOW " but he also says he's looking at giving it to Kilman..... perhaps reading too much into it but could be an indicator theres still no guarantee that Neves will be here long term.

Rabid Wolf

Reaction score
Interesting that Bruno has said " Neves is captain for NOW " but he also says he's looking at giving it to Kilman..... perhaps reading too much into it but could be an indicator theres still no guarantee that Neves will be here long term.
My take on that is someone will probably bid late in the window and if it's a good offer we'll accept, hopefully it won't happen.

fleck1

Reaction score
I don't have an issue with this, the club would look silly to do a big announcement and this all change inside the next 3 weeks. I think we all expected him to have left this summer, he probably expected this himself and I don't think after his service anyone would begrudge him that big move. There hasn't really been a market for him with our demands, but with the end of the window nearing and clubs, especially Man Utd getting desperate our demands may be met. I just hope the club have a contingency plan in place for this happening.

Royal wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fair play to Kilman for being considered. Whilst early in his career I never thought he’d be captain material as he always came across as very shy and quiet. Saying that the main quality you need is to be respected by your fellow team mates

Reactions: Ian

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
That’s how I read it, Bruno doesn’t want to come out with “Ruben is our captain, great leader” etc and then we have to sell him in a week. My guess is if Ruben is still here after the window shuts he’ll be appointed permanent.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bruno wants Ruben to earn £100k pw at Wolves in a bid to keep him according to the Sun and Beeb.

ToastedWanderer

Groupie
Reaction score
It's the brown trouser end of the window, yes, we're hoping for more quality signings, but players are still getting linked elsewhere. Signing Neves would be a statement of intent..

Back
Top Bottom