Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Silva loan

NewarkWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hes not even 20 but according to the king of clappers, he's done for. Heard it all now.
Im sure you'll keep banging the drum saying he's good enough to lead a top 8 Premier league front line though after his enormous goals record over the last 2 seasons. Hes not as good as he needs to be, that's not a criticism but you need to accept that, hence why he's gone to a poor league to try and get some confidence back.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Im sure you'll keep banging the drum saying he's good enough to lead a top 8 Premier league front line though after his enormous goals record over the last 2 seasons. Hes not as good as he needs to be, that's not a criticism but you need to accept that, hence why he's gone to a poor league to try and get some confidence back.
He has the potential to do so for sure, not much of a drum to bang.

Such a strange move from a bloke who cries at peoples criticism of the transfer window and ownership but has fully decided that a kid at the start of his career is finished.

Only wolves eh?

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Also, poor league? How do we know, can't say we have many partaking in regular viewership of the Belgian leagues. What we do know is its a country that produces some talented players so the league must be a good springboard for young players.

NewarkWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He has the potential to do so for sure, not much of a drum to bang.

Such a strange move from a bloke who cries at peoples criticism of the transfer window and ownership but has fully decided that a kid at the start of his career is finished.

Only wolves eh?
Hahaha, don't cry just find it strange people can't accept things as they are. The window isn't bad yet, players aren't good enough. Don't hard to understand for some but perhaps it is for you.

wolvesaywe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Spurs fans said the same about Kane when he was continuously shipped out on loan at a young age

It's universal for fans to be utterly clueless as to a player's development and future potential

NewarkWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Also, poor league? How do we know, can't say we have many partaking in regular viewership of the Belgian leagues. What we do know is its a country that produces some talented players so the league must be a good springboard for young players.
Oh dear... Who do we know it's a poor league?? Hahaha

Why do you think??!!! Ffs

Says it all about you

Krispy Kreme

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
On the striker problem subject,,,,now that we are saving £4 million on Silva's wages , and could have raised a few quid selling players ,,why didn't we go after Jesus from city??
Have we any ambition to go forward??

Same reason we didn't got for Haaland.

He wouldn't want to come to us.

Mutchy

Administrator
Reaction score
Hahaha, don't cry just find it strange people can't accept things as they are. The window isn't bad yet, players aren't good enough. Don't hard to understand for some but perhaps it is for you.

Says it all about you
Wind your neck in. And quickly.

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
When the likes of Neves, Jota, Neto (and even Vinagre to some extent) made their first few appearances for us, I remember a few "wow" moments where I thought - there's something special here. For all the apparent "good movement, clever positioning" etc I hear about Silva, I just never saw a similar "wow" moment. I don't have a problem with him and his attitude seems brilliant, but i just haven't seen any glimpses of a 35M player. Hope it works out well and he has the last laugh.
Which is true, but there’s a chunk of context missing there.
Can’t underestimate the benefit of playing that first season in the chumpo to Neves, Jota at their young ages. A full season of starts, in a weaker league than the premier, but with more physical intensity than most European top flights.
Lest we also forget that Neves and Jota weren’t exactly dominant in that first season up either.
Plenty of moments yes, but nothing like the polished, solid PL regular starters they are today.

Then of course there’s the expectation level, or levels we’d been accustomed to before this talented bunch arrived.
We were looking at Neves through the prism of Henry, Price, Kmac, Jota to all kinds of crap, maybe Sakho being the best of which he could be measured against.

So yes it was generally accepted that Fabio was to be an understudy and work in progress, but the closest visible benchmark was Raul, coming off the back of an outstanding season in league and Europe, with a number of top clubs after him.

This loan should have happened last year, or even straight out as soon as we bought him. Whichever league and level that would have got him a full season of starts, and reassess from there.
He scores regularly for the Portugal U21s, banged in a brace against Donny, there’s nothing to suggest he can’t shine at a lower level.

What I think needs adding, is the Vitinha comparison. Fabio is just shy of 2.5 years younger than him.
So…is it that far-fetched, that in another 18 months of development, Fabio could have the kind of breakout season in a weaker league that Vitinha just had, and was sold for approximately the price we all complain about?
I’d say it sounds perfectly plausible. A season in Belgium, where he has to realistically score at least 15. Then maybe another season loan to another step above, like the Dutch or Portuguese league (non-top 3 in Portugal seems a good bet for regular starts).
IF he happened to bang in another 15-20 there, then it would be hard to argue he hadn’t become worth what we initially paid, or far more ready for the ‘toughest league in the world’.
All ifs and buts, but I don’t think what I’ve outlined there is impossible. It’s up to him. I’d say 50/50.

Ignoring the fee and whether we should have gambled that amount at that time, the more pertinent bit is that his development curve wasn’t handled properly. There should have been a cheap striker backup option to allow him to do the loan rounds, not thrown to the Wolves following Raul’s horror injury.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Says it all about you

It will be a "much stronger" league, guaranteed, if Fabio doesn't reach double figures!

BTW As pointed out on another thread, 20 year old Joshua Zirkzee scored 16 in the league for Anderlecht last season. He's currently valued at £10M. So, given Fabio's much higher valuation, shouldn't we be expecting 20 as the bare minimun for a decent season in this "poor" league?

My prediction would be for Fabio to score around 10 - 12 in that league in a full season for a top club.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
When the likes of Neves, Jota, Neto (and even Vinagre to some extent) made their first few appearances for us, I remember a few "wow" moments where I thought - there's something special here. For all the apparent "good movement, clever positioning" etc I hear about Silva, I just never saw a similar "wow" moment. I don't have a problem with him and his attitude seems brilliant, but i just haven't seen any glimpses of a 35M player. Hope it works out well and he has the last laugh.

That is exactly how I feel. Instead of "wow" moments, with Fabio it's "he looked reasonably competent for a second there" moments. And there's been a fair few cringe moments, too. Being burnt for pace by ageing slow defenders is not good. Neither is his clumsy awkwardness when the ball isn't on the ground at his feet.

I've watched him a few times for Portugal under 23's where he has scored a few and I think finishing is definitely his skill. Thing is, we aren't Man City or Liverpool who stroll through defences providing a basic finish for a number 9. And the rest of his game is not Premier League level. Whether it can ever be remains to be seen.

I hope the loan works out well for him, I think it's the right decision and a good level for his development.

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That is exactly how I feel. Instead of "wow" moments, with Fabio it's "he looked reasonably competent for a second there" moments. And there's been a fair few cringe moments, too. Being burnt for pace by ageing slow defenders is not good. Neither is his clumsy awkwardness when the ball isn't on the ground at his feet.

I've watched him a few times for Portugal under 23's where he has scored a few and I think finishing is definitely his skill. Thing is, we aren't Man City or Liverpool who stroll through defences providing a basic finish for a number 9. And the rest of his game is not Premier League level. Whether it can ever be remains to be seen.

I hope the loan works out well for him, I think it's the right decision and a good level for his development.

I agree to a large extend but I think his overall play had improved a lot last season. He was much better at bringing others into play.
Also some of the chances he missed, was created by himself so its not just a case of him being a player that needs in all on a plate.

But of course he was never a 35 million player.

SoCal_Wolf

Reaction score

He was much faster last year and got to several balls ahead of defenders--first year, not so much. He also improved his strength allowing him to hold off defenders better, too. I think that he's pretty good at making the right decisions with his passes and bringing others into play. His runs are good and he's not a bad finisher with his feet (heading obviously needs improvement). I thought that he was ready for more minutes this season so I'm disappointed to hear that he might be loaned out; but, I also see how it can really help him to get regular minutes to grow his skillset and confidence like MGW did. IF the plan is to bring in another striker that will be here two years from now when Raul would probably be moved on, then it makes a ton of strategic sense.

RMNottm

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
IF MGW is 20-25M after a successful season in Champ at 22. Then Fabio will be worth similar if he has a successful loan at 21 in a decent league.

He would effectively be a year ahead of MGW.

MGW is class and had 4 years to reach his peak and it will be a high ceiling; hope Fabio can do the same.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You offer your view and then say that others have to accept it. Horse**** was the phrase you used earlier l believe. That applies to your belief in your omnipotence!

NewarkWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You offer your view and then say that others have to accept it. Horse**** was the phrase you used earlier l believe. That applies to your belief in your omnipotence!
My opinion is based on what's been illustrated to be fair which is he's not been anywhere near what the club must have expected for such an outlay.

If you believe he has then great. The fact he's now had to take such a drop in standard to rediscover his development shows as much. Potentially the right player but most certainly at the wrong time and hugely at the wrong cost. Feel for the boy but he's been thrown in the deep end and sank.

You still believe he'll lead the line for us in a year or so?

NewarkWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
IF MGW is 20-25M after a successful season in Champ at 22. Then Fabio will be worth similar if he has a successful loan at 21 in a decent league.

He would effectively be a year ahead of MGW.

MGW is class and had 4 years to reach his peak and it will be a high ceiling; hope Fabio can do the same.
The difference With the comparison is that MGW has continued to develop albeit with any stutter being a minor one. Fabio came in with a bang due to the fee, that heaped pressure on him instantly and with our restricted finances meant his inclusion was almost needed in the first team squad to justify it and its backfired on the poor lad imo. We're now critical of the level of finance available when spending 35 million on him two years ago, receiving very little back from that point and now seeing him farned out to a level below what morgan went to and did well. We'll hold on to him longer than we probably would of he had followed the same path as Morgan in the hope he comes good. We're sadly not a club in a position to have done so 2-3 years down the line from bringing him in. The money could and probably should have used much better.

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The last two seasons Anderlecht had an unknown youngster leading the lines in Zirkzee and Nmechi. One scored 18 and one scored 21. So we already know what Silva should be judged against and there will be no excuses come May if he isn't putting up the same numbers.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The last two seasons Anderlecht had an unknown youngster leading the lines in Zirkzee and Nmechi. One scored 18 and one scored 21. So we already know what Silva should be judged against and there will be no excuses come May if he isn't putting up the same numbers.

I dont know if they have had any significant ins and outs, but if they get similar results to last season we should expect Silva to score 15+ goals.

Air Wolf 90

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Worth noting that Nmecha was very highly rated as a youngster at City but had a number of Championship loans that didn’t really work out for him.
Hopefully a year at Anderlecht has given him the platform to kick on and fulfil that potential. Got to be a good opportunity for Fabio to follow suit.

RMNottm

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The difference With the comparison is that MGW has continued to develop albeit with any stutter being a minor one. Fabio came in with a bang due to the fee, that heaped pressure on him instantly and with our restricted finances meant his inclusion was almost needed in the first team squad to justify it and its backfired on the poor lad imo. We're now critical of the level of finance available when spending 35 million on him two years ago, receiving very little back from that point and now seeing him farned out to a level below what morgan went to and did well. We'll hold on to him longer than we probably would of he had followed the same path as Morgan in the hope he comes good. We're sadly not a club in a position to have done so 2-3 years down the line from bringing him in. The money could and probably should have used much better.
We are where we are. No significant hard currency is coming of our owners any time soon so asset protectvand developnent us key.

I look back to see why we are in the situation but more importantly look forward to hope for the best future learning lessons.

With hindsight would Wolves still have brought Silva. The shocking answer might even be yes.

Bostin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not on the video of the players boarding the plane

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Spurs fans said the same about Kane when he was continuously shipped out on loan at a young age

It's universal for fans to be utterly clueless as to a player's development and future potential
I’m still hopeful Silva will be decent but it’s getting irritating how often Kane is mentioned in relation to him.

At a younger age than Fabio Kane had won Milwalls young player of the year in the championship (and hadn’t had 35 mil spent on him). Fabio has to go and do something similar in Belgium now, he’ll be nearly 21 when he comes back. The lad has to start performing on a regular basis now.

Bacon Sandwich

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

According to Global Football Rankings the Belgian league is 13th in the world, with the Champ at 11th and the Austrian league at 12th. For Grasshoppers fans the Swiss league is 15th. So yes, Fabio needs to be starting regularly and scoring around 15 goals in the season

BrierleyHillWolves

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I’m still hopeful Silva will be decent but it’s getting irritating how often Kane is mentioned in relation to him.

At a younger age than Fabio Kane had won Milwalls young player of the year in the championship (and hadn’t had 35 mil spent on him). Fabio has to go and do something similar in Belgium now, he’ll be nearly 21 when he comes back. The lad has to start performing on a regular basis now.
Yes and was a great at Norwich too when he was older than Fabio.......

Back
Top Bottom