Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Ask Wolves

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A few thoughts.

- To start on a positive; Bruno Lage came across very well to be fair. He is an intelligent coach that there is no doubt over. I just still do not think he is a "manager". Until he is backed though I do not think it is fair to judge him which is why a) I hope he gets this season and b) gets backed. The two go hand in hand though.

- Vinny Clark was a bit painful. There is something untrustworthy about him. Having said that, I think the club has got some unnecessary flak about prices etc which essentially he oversees. I think the renewal prices were pretty fair in all honesty but I understand and appreciate everyone's situation financially is different.

- Matt Wild has quite a smackable face and IMO is too corporate for the position he holds. I completely switched off.

- Russell Jones I actually thought came across the best of the lot so far, committee side. He answered things pretty honestly and openly and if he gets rid of the goal music, he is doing at least something right for me. The fact he addressed much of the stadium redevelopment (or lack of..) was something too.

- Scott Sellars. Wow. I just cannot believe he is essentially the DOF of a 10th placed Premier League club. He is clearly full of ****. I mean when asked essentially why he has allowed us to rely on 3 midfielders, when we have often played with 3 midfielders with no backup, the answer being "Luke Cundle" is astonishing. Fancy putting a teenager with no experience under that kind of pressure too. Just have the balls to admit that recruitment this season has been dire. Just where is the accountability for this? He (and Jeff) would get respect if he just admitted the club have made mistakes. Not signing a CB + CM for this long is unforgiveable and because of it, it is going to cost us losing our best players.

I am now coming onto the Jeff Shi interview, which, in some ways to defend the committee above, they are all only yes men for this guy. They are doing the jobs that have been set by him and the longer time goes on, the more I think he is leading the club down the wrong patch. So this should be fun. I wonder if he will address the fact recruitment has been poor. I know where my money is on that.

D

Deleted member sbk12944

They could just tell the truth.

I don't mind them telling the truth even if we don't like it. He's told us we've got no money and we have to sell to buy. It's not what you want to hear but it's the reality, I'm okay with that.

What we don't need is the lying and there's no one to blame for that but themselves.

Why is Jeff mentioning FFP when it's not going to impact us?
Why is Vinny Clarke saying it's unfair to say Leicester are cheaper than us when it's true that they are?
Why is Sellars saying signing a central midfielder would've stopped us seeing Luke Cundle, who has played just 180 minutes?

This is not on. It's complete and utter BS and it's not twisting anything.
The truth good or bad is still the truth and most people can accept that regardless if they like it or not.

Flea

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The thing with the sell to buy model is that there is absolutely no room for error with transfers, even if you want to stand still.

If we replace experienced players like Neves, Moutinho and Raul this summer for example then the hit rate on incoming players needs to be 100%. Signings like Silva, Trincao, Hoever and Hwang will not cut it. Even dare I say transfers like Neto and Podence who took a season to get up to speed.
Agree.
The sell to buy approach is a rather safe way to us playing football in division two again(the championship..very silly name IMO) if looking at it longer term.
Sooner or later,we will get it wrong and that will mean relegation.
Since Jeff..a guy that seriously lacks the needed knowledge and the skills for it to work for us permanent basis..as the sell to buy approach means in real life..my bet is that we will fudge it up sooner than later.

The sell to buy strategy will not uphold our Prem status forever,and we certainly won´t get any new fans internationally playing division two football.

Flea

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Another thing is that interest will diminish when we produce season after season placing ourselves tenth to fifteen in the table.
That won´t be exciting very long...especially since we certainly don´t aim to win any of the cups either.
Win some,lose some..be on the beach a month before end of season.
It will suck the life out of it..eventually.

Sirstancullis

Reaction score
I think even Barry from gornal, should be able to see that what he is getting nw is generally better than what he has got at anytime in the last 40 years .....and it might not get better ...
When I was drinking with Barry from Gornal in the Bulls Head, he did realise that. However he also made a fair point that things aren't as good as they were a few years ago, with European Quarter Finals, Fa Cup Semi Finals, consecutive 7th placed finishes, a stronger starting 11 and cheaper season tickets. Barrys been going to Molineux for those 40 years or so and he's currently struggling to afford the current ticket prices with the cost of everything going up in the current economic climate. So this season will probably be Barrys last, along with his son and 2 grandkids, who next season will be watching Gornal Athletic. In fact Barry struggled to buy his round and I had to fork out for his bag of pork crunch and he might not be able to go the Bulls Head every Sunday like he has for donkeys years. I like Barry, it'll be a shame when I don't see him anymore.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

??????

Shi talks consistently about "the ceiling", and not being able to just spend money.

This was the clearest statement ever that FFP provided strict parameters within which the club must operate.
Yeah it's not true, we have about £70M wiggle room.

But UEFA rules much tighter and in order to compete with the top 6 we could never have spent enough

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

When I was drinking with Barry from Gornal in the Bulls Head, he did realise that. However he also made a fair point that things aren't as good as they were a few years ago, with European Quarter Finals, Fa Cup Semi Finals, consecutive 7th placed finishes, a stronger starting 11 and cheaper season tickets. Barrys been going to Molineux for those 40 years or so and he's currently struggling to afford the current ticket prices with the cost of everything going up in the current economic climate. So this season will probably be Barrys last, along with his son and 2 grandkids, who next season will be watching Gornal Athletic. In fact Barry struggled to buy his round and I had to fork out for his bag of pork crunch and he might not be able to go the Bulls Head every Sunday like he has for donkeys years. I like Barry, it'll be a shame when I don't see him anymore.
So Barry wants stadium extended, more spending on the playing squad and cheaper tickets for his whole family.

Does Barry ask his boss for a pay rise to work less days a week?

Bognor_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A few thoughts.

- To start on a positive; Bruno Lage came across very well to be fair. He is an intelligent coach that there is no doubt over. I just still do not think he is a "manager". Until he is backed though I do not think it is fair to judge him which is why a) I hope he gets this season and b) gets backed. The two go hand in hand though.

- Vinny Clark was a bit painful. There is something untrustworthy about him. Having said that, I think the club has got some unnecessary flak about prices etc which essentially he oversees. I think the renewal prices were pretty fair in all honesty but I understand and appreciate everyone's situation financially is different.

- Matt Wild has quite a smackable face and IMO is too corporate for the position he holds. I completely switched off.

- Russell Jones I actually thought came across the best of the lot so far, committee side. He answered things pretty honestly and openly and if he gets rid of the goal music, he is doing at least something right for me. The fact he addressed much of the stadium redevelopment (or lack of..) was something too.

- Scott Sellars. Wow. I just cannot believe he is essentially the DOF of a 10th placed Premier League club. He is clearly full of ****. I mean when asked essentially why he has allowed us to rely on 3 midfielders, when we have often played with 3 midfielders with no backup, the answer being "Luke Cundle" is astonishing. Fancy putting a teenager with no experience under that kind of pressure too. Just have the balls to admit that recruitment this season has been dire. Just where is the accountability for this? He (and Jeff) would get respect if he just admitted the club have made mistakes. Not signing a CB + CM for this long is unforgiveable and because of it, it is going to cost us losing our best players.

I am now coming onto the Jeff Shi interview, which, in some ways to defend the committee above, they are all only yes men for this guy. They are doing the jobs that have been set by him and the longer time goes on, the more I think he is leading the club down the wrong patch. So this should be fun. I wonder if he will address the fact recruitment has been poor. I know where my money is on that.
With regards Scott Sellars he did that interview with Express & Star in January making it clear he has the final say on transfers etc and watching these AskingWolves clips I can't help but compare him to the others, it is a lot more "I" with him than "We" seems like every interview he does he likes to make people aware he is in charge...

Could be wrong (and probably am) but just how I see it..

I just hope him and Lage are on the same page next season regarding developing the squad.....

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
At least Barry has got a local, even if he can't go in as much as he wants....them all shut our end of town years ago.....and I wow blame Jeff for that...

Bognor_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Would love to know how Jeff Shi thought it would be a good idea to say about putting Wolves as an organisation first more than a club?! Surely he knows who will be watching these video's (won't be the esport fans for sure!) Know your audience Jeff that quote at the end was dreadful and damn right worrying!

He would have been better suited not saying anything as I got to be honest watching all the videos he came across the worse by a mile and I very much have supported Fosun as our owners...

Flea

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It is a little bit depressing hearing Jeff.
The lack of ambition is hard to take for a supporter like me,that likes to see progress on the pitch first and foremost.
At best midtable positions combined with no ambition to try and win either of the cups as well.
Don´t get me wrong..but it was more exciting from a football fans point of view when we won the Sherpa Van Trophy all those years ago.
I feel moody.
What is there to look forward to?

Jayjaywolves

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
"we don't want the owner to lose money and be gone"

Is that a threat?

Should we be grateful?

Don't get me wrong, I love the success and PL football but wolves will be wolves long after Fosun have lost interest and cashed in.
I'd rather be back in the championship than have these greedy *******s using our club to push their own "brand" in China.
How disappointing.

He seems awfully concerned about his Job.

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Found it quite amusing that Jeff says we need to be smart with the money we spend when it was his decision to spend £35m on a teenager with a handful of professional appearances to his name. The exact opposite of being smart with the money we spend.

I think everyone comes across fairly well to be fair... Except Jeff and Sellars, who is clearly just Jeff's puppet.

Boss Hogg

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Watched the first 2 so far. Thoughts:

1. Bruno - the guy waffled on for almost an hour without really saying anything or answering the questions fully. I’m surprised he’s survived to be honest, I don’t think he’s got a clue what he wants to change or how.

2. Sellars - either he’s pregnant or it’s the worst fitting raincoat ever.

D

Deleted member sbk12944

1. Bruno - the guy waffled on for almost an hour without really saying anything or answering the questions fully. I’m surprised he’s survived to be honest, I don’t think he’s got a clue what he wants to change or how.

1.Genuine question, What do you want to hear? If you don’t like him it doesn’t matter what is said does it.

2.Agree

GateWolf

Groupie
Reaction score

if you thought Bruno waffled on, May I suggest you don’t waste 37 mins of your day listening to Jeff’s video

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So Barry wants stadium extended, more spending on the playing squad and cheaper tickets for his whole family.

Does Barry ask his boss for a pay rise to work less days a week?

Meanwhile we get no new stadium, less on the playing squad and the season ticket prices are up 38% since we last had a good transfer window.

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

He's just really bloated from all the bull****

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
"we don't want the owner to lose money and be gone"

Is that a threat?

Should we be grateful?

Don't get me wrong, I love the success and PL football but wolves will be wolves long after Fosun have lost interest and cashed in.
I'd rather be back in the championship than have these greedy *******s using our club to push their own "brand" in China.
How disappointing.

He seems awfully concerned about his Job.
Of course we should be grateful. Without Fosun we’d be bobbing around mid table in the championship. Instead we won the league, been minutes away from an fa cup final and had a trip into Europe all whilst seeing what most would say is the best set of players in nearly 50 years.

Boss Hogg

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
1.Genuine question, What do you want to hear? If you don’t like him it doesn’t matter what is said does it.

2.Agree
I was hoping for a clear vision / strategy of how he wants to play, what he will be doing to try and get more goals from midfield & the strikers, how he will be utilising subs more effectively to change games, etc

There was no honest assessment of what had gone wrong, what things had gone well, what lessons he had learned, etc

Mr Sizzle

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
??????

Shi talks consistently about "the ceiling", and not being able to just spend money.

This was the clearest statement ever that FFP provided strict parameters within which the club must operate.
Or a self imposed Ceiling they aren'r prepared to break maybe??

Rhoswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A few thoughts.

Agree with you about Bruno, only one that showed any real passion and appreciation of the "legacy" fans, also thought Russell Jones came over well, least said about Shi and Sellars the better.

Boss Hogg

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
One of the positives for me was seeing the good stuff we are doing for loan players, the academy & the woman’s football (episodes 3,4,5) and it’s clear we’ve got some good people there (Matt Jackson, Laura and Jon).

yateleywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Is Jeff morphing into moxey? Maybe it go's with the job ;speaking in riddles and sticking on the timber.

Eastyorksyeltz

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
At least Barry has got a local, even if he can't go in as much as he wants....them all shut our end of town years ago.....and I wow blame Jeff for that...
I can see Barry becoming a cult hero, for many months to come. He will probably end up a bit schizophrenic though, his glass in the Bull being alternately half empty and half full, depending on who he is drinking with.

clivewolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The Steve Sutton interview is another standard one. I'll just trust him to get on with the job of keeping everyone safe at Molineux.

The Vinny Clark interview went as I expected. I can't be bothered to check Wolves' ticket prices against other clubs. I don't buy food or drink at the ground so I'm not fussed about that stuff anyway. It sounds like the Castore deal worked out well for everyone which is good.

cannockwolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Reading some of the comments on here reminds me of a few years ago when the deep water horizon BP rig blew up. I was having a conversation with an old geeza who had been in metal bashing all his life - he knew how to fix it, it was simple so he said.

He could not get his head round the laws of physics change at one mile deep.

That's where we are at now, one mile down and the laws of physics are changing around us.

Wolves have never been an ego trip for a billionaire, we are the foundation of a whole business group. Fosun brought our potential to get (and stay) in the prem but they also brought the logo, colours, and brand.

You have to watch Jeff's interview with a different mind set. It's not about football - is about Fosun sports group. They are trying to create a new business that just happens to be built around a iconic brand.

I think its the right approach for an investment company, it genuinely may work and it may allow wolves football club to develop over the long term - but it's most definitely not a Villa or Everton model.

So overall I am happy with what Jeff said, I have spent 25 years in marketing and I think they really are trying something different.

But is not owners pumping in millions every year chasing some dream, and I do think that is hard for some to accept.

Jayjaywolves

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Of course we should be grateful. Without Fosun we’d be bobbing around mid table in the championship. Instead we won the league, been minutes away from an fa cup final and had a trip into Europe all whilst seeing what most would say is the best set of players in nearly 50 years.
That's all great and as I stated, I've enjoyed it, as have my children immensely.

I will never be grateful for a multibillion pound conglomerate buying up football clubs, turning the screw on lifelong fans whilst lying through their teeth whenever a serious question about their commitment is asked.

They should be grateful for us, owning a club who's fans will blindly follow without ever questioning. Using us as a tool to maximize profit with no sense of pride or loyalty towards the hardworking fans that struggle to meet the increasing ticket prices.

You can reminisce of our past achievements under Fosun and I agree, they were magnificent achievements, but we are no longer that ambitious underdog of a club pushing and pushing.
We are in the sweet spot of maximum profit, minimal investment self sustainability.

Sad.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Reading some of the comments on here reminds me of a few years ago when the deep water horizon BP rig blew up. I was having a conversation with an old geeza who had been in metal bashing all his life - he knew how to fix it, it was simple so he said.

He could not get his head round the laws of physics change at one mile deep.

That's where we are at now, one mile down and the laws of physics are changing around us.

Wolves have never been an ego trip for a billionaire, we are the foundation of a whole business group. Fosun brought our potential to get (and stay) in the prem but they also brought the logo, colours, and brand.

You have to watch Jeff's interview with a different mind set. It's not about football - is about Fosun sports group. They are trying to create a new business that just happens to be built around a iconic brand.

I think its the right approach for an investment company, it genuinely may work and it may allow wolves football club to develop over the long term - but it's most definitely not a Villa or Everton model.

So overall I am happy with what Jeff said, I have spent 25 years in marketing and I think they really are trying something different.

But is not owners pumping in millions every year chasing some dream, and I do think that is hard for some to accept.
It's because it's unfortunately all waffle.

Look at how the language around football clubs has now changed.

'Self sustainable' = 'we won't put any money in'. The same thing yet to some people saying the former sounds better, it's just soft words used to avoid saying what matters.

They're not really trying much different either, many football owners have different business interests now, we as a football club aren't going to benefit from eSports, just like other clubs won't benefit from whatever their owners do.

You have to judge on action.

Our owners are not spending any money. They have no intention of spending money. They plan to cash in on our best and most sellable assets and they will do.

There's no magic formula to this. We're just plodding along now until we go down. We might last two to three years before it gets serious? Maybe not. But, as Burnley have shown, lack of investment means relegation at some point in the current climate.

This isn't me saying Fosun should put money in, it's up to them and they've done enough if you judge on improvements from where we started.

Ultimately, Jeff is just good at talking and it makes it all sound as part of one big grand plan or avoiding the point.

Yeshua

Reaction score
So Fosun has Fosun sport which isn't directly funded by Fosun. Fosun sport is reliant on making its own profit. This is the ceiling being referred to. Wolves is the biggest component to Fosun sport.

So Wolves are not being directly funded, however Fosun have the connections and resources to grow Fosun Sport to be a merchandising cash cow, which will priority number 1 make Fosun richer, but also 2, raise the ceiling for Wolves.

So what I've taken from the interview was far as competing in the Premier League Wolves are in safe hands. Unfortunately though FOSUN are not going to invest into the club out of their accounts, so the process is going to be slow and steady.

NottsWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I haven’t watched and won’t be, quite simply I’ll judge once the season starts. A lot can (or can not depending on your mind set) between then and now.

In all honesty we have needed a refresh and probably should have done it sooner. However with several players, particularly those out of contract, leaving now is the time.

In the past we have been too sentimental with players and should have moved them on sooner, the likes of Ruddy and Saiss should be thanked for their services and welcomed back due to their input over the last few years. The scenes at the end of Cardiff and Middlesbrough will live long in the memory.

So while I won’t be watching the videos, it is now over to Shi and Co to get on with things.

All I ask is for some patience from those on here- although that may be a lot to ask!

oldgoldheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I watched Jeff's video first. my take outs are:
  • dont expect much investment if any
  • we have probably reached our ceiling. there was talk of esports adding commercial revenue but my persoanl view is that this may never get to Molineux even if successful
  • he is fed up with "old fans"
  • definitely sell to buy and probably keep a small squad
its not jeff's fault that football has become so reliant on a closed shop commercial model. but it still saddens me. i started watching my local team and want them to do well. play well, win more than they lose and enjoy a day/night at the match. the whole esports thing is not what i signed up to. do i resent Jeff et al taking wolves down that path? yes, but if he doesnt try then we are likely to end up back in the championship or league one. we may anyway given the funding and transfer policy but at least Jeff's "strategy" has some chance, however small, of working.

overall i am expecting a lacklustre window and a very hard season

Summer_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I enjoyed the Bruno interview, it's clear he knows what he wants next season. The loans manager interview was interesting, as was the interview with the club doctor and with Matt Wild.

Onto Jeff - not gonna lie I felt like lobbing something at the screen after 10 minutes - it's clear the priority lies with esports, music and the brand and the football side is secondary. The whole 'corporate, not a club' thing irritated me. It's clear the direction is tread water, spend little and focus on the off pitch stuff.

Sellars interview - as someone previously alluded to on this thread - he'd make a great politician. Didn't answer the questions properly and made waffling excuses re the Adama loan. His reasoning for not bringing in a midfielder being Luke Cundle is laughable to be honest.

Don Corleone

Reaction score
We should I agree 100% on that and we have to now had a mostly fantastic journey. But, we are at a crossroads and a massive period of change is looking likely to be upon us. That could be the making of us for the next five years…. Or the opposite and it kind of feels like the latter for me at the moment.
Hopefully we’re all pleasantly surprised come the end of the transfer window.

HowfenWolf

Groupie
Reaction score
I watched Jeff's video first. my take outs are:
  • dont expect much investment if any
  • we have probably reached our ceiling. there was talk of esports adding commercial revenue but my persoanl view is that this may never get to Molineux even if successful
  • he is fed up with "old fans"
  • definitely sell to buy and probably keep a small squad
its not jeff's fault that football has become so reliant on a closed shop commercial model. but it still saddens me. i started watching my local team and want them to do well. play well, win more than they lose and enjoy a day/night at the match. the whole esports thing is not what i signed up to. do i resent Jeff et al taking wolves down that path? yes, but if he doesnt try then we are likely to end up back in the championship or league one. we may anyway given the funding and transfer policy but at least Jeff's "strategy" has some chance, however small, of working.

overall i am expecting a lacklustre window and a very hard season

Don't expect much investment if any - we never do. Each transfer window has been the same - underwhelming
He is fed up with 'Old Fans' - these are the mugs that fill the stadium up Jeff (often travelling quite a distance at great personal expense) - It would look a bit **** on global TV if there were empty seats all round the ground)
Sell to Buy - I think it should read 'Take players off Gestifute, for highly inflated fees' - Note to Jeff - there are good French Scandinavian & German players at reasonable prices not just Portuguese (but that would mean employing European scouts & a director of football - rather than you & Scott)

Back
Top Bottom