Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Summer Transfer Window 2022.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edinburgh Wolf

Reaction score
I think with Bassey, given his age, there is undoubted raw potential given his performances this season that would actually justify a pat on the back should Villa sign him, even in the EL final he was very commanding for a young cb.
I agree with this. The argument he's only had 1 good season at a crap level (although the Scottish club co-efficient is above Russia, Belgium, Ukraine, Serbia, Turkey etc, so it's not as bad as the English make out) is irrelevant if he's shown he's a very promising player, particularly in European games.

Guys such as Van Dijk, McGinn, Robertson, Arteta, Viduka etc. all had one or two seasons in the SPL and they've done not bad in England. I'd argue, from what I've seen of him, Bassey has stood out far more than Robertson and McGinn did up here. Robertson used to regularly be turned inside out by such megastars as David Wotherspoon and Nigel Hasselbaink when he played against St Johnstone for Dundee United!

Notsoslimshady

Groupie
Reaction score
Villa supposedly after Calvin Bassey, Tarkowski and Oxlade Chamberlain. Saw someone suggest Tammy Abraham on twitter too. Not messing about.
Was disappointed we didn't sign Abraham that one year, and would still happily have him but i imagine his fee and wages demands have increased somewhat.

Always thought Ox was a good player. Shame for him he's had so many injuries

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Zander Clark the St Johnstone keeper who is also in the Scotland squad is out of contract this Summer .He is 29 ,a good keeper and is available on a free .
Middlesbrough are interested and he meets the criterion that some are advocating of us signing an experienced back up to replace John Ruddy.
Scottish goalkeepers are, of course, always top class..... Hahahaha

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Always thought Ox was a good player. Shame for him he's had so many injuries
He should be an excellent player, has all the attributes that our midfield lacks…except a body that holds up. It is a shame for him.
Doesn’t say much for Arsenal’s medical department in the 00s that both he and Wilshire, young players with vaguely similar styles, were overplayed or continually injured over their formative career periods.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
After convincing Jeff to part with 35M for Fabio, which is looking increasingly like a mistake/con, is the relationship with Mendes as strong as it was before?
The Fabio episode has made Jeff look like a fool and the "generation wonder kid" tag which was how Fabio was sold to Jeff is past a joke. Hence Jeff's gradual withrawal from the public eye. He's lost face big time.
With the Adama and Trincao saga looking like not ending like we envisaged - has the Mendes magic ended?
Can we even get half decent players without help from Mendes?
Do we even want more Portuguese players in the squad given the recent displays of them ganging up on other players (fabio and Podence on Hwang).
These are open questions I'm looking forward to being answered soon.
This is such an important window that we must get right. I just hope we make the right decisions within the club and don't just blindly rely on Mendes.
Ganging up on other players? You mean failing to disguise their disgust at the efforts of a so-called "professional" footballer who, based on that incident, wouldn't get picked for the Dog and Duck fifth team?
I saw your pathetic ludicrous comment in a response post - it reminded me why l have you on ignore.

T

TheConcourse

I don’t disagree and yes Silva still has time to come good but at the time he was the only alternative to Raul which was way before he was ready .
This season he has played more of a back seat role behind Hwang but we can’t escape the fact he ended the season without a goal
Do we keep him here or send him out on loan but whatever happens we have to find a goal scorer from somewhere.
Silva is a tough one. This is his 3rd season with us and I’d be surprised if he’s played 15 games worth of football.

Either way, if we loan him out then he comes back at season 4 and he’s available to leave on a free 1-2 years later. They’ve either got to play him into form or let him out on loan. It’s serving nobody’s interests right now.

I’d loan him, personally. Where? No idea. Being on loan and actually playing games are two very different things.

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
Silva is a tough one. This is his 3rd season with us and I’d be surprised if he’s played 15 games worth of football.

Either way, if we loan him out then he comes back at season 4 and he’s available to leave on a free 1-2 years later. They’ve either got to play him into form or let him out on loan. It’s serving nobody’s interests right now.

I’d loan him, personally. Where? No idea. Being on loan and actually playing games are two very different things.
He wouldn’t leave on a free though because he would still be under 24 .

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score

The big ignominy would be if he went out on loan and continued not to score ,got left out and returned here .Where would we go then ? Somehow we have to unravel this conundrum

Eastern Wolf

Reaction score
Ganging up on other players? You mean failing to disguise their disgust at the efforts of a so-called "professional" footballer who, based on that incident, wouldn't get picked for the Dog and Duck fifth team?
I saw your pathetic ludicrous comment in a response post - it reminded me why l have you on ignore.
The same reaction could have been leveled at Silva and Podence on many an occasion. The pot calling the kettle black.
I feel the same about you too Mr "wicked" one - let's say we have different opinions

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Spiers on the Talking Wolves podcast is quite interesting.

Feels we will get £50m tops for Neves.
Confirms it's still sell to buy and said it could be a problem if a suitable offer doesn't arrive until late in the window.
Hoever to leave on loan, as mentioned on his thread.
Silva's future uncertain (in terms of loan)
MGW future entirely down to him, didn't sound positive.
Still unclear on Trincao, not ruled out that he won't stay.

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score

Confirms it's still sell to buy and said it could be a problem if a suitable offer doesn't arrive until late in the window.
All positive then -not

KBWWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Players with the hunger and desire to win should be kept around.

Frustration =/= bullying.
Hands on head in disbelief, looks over at the bench. Hardly laughing in his face and forcing him to eat dog turds is it.

KBWWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Confirms it's still sell to buy

So the Neves funds will have to subsidise the Neves replacement, Hwang purchase, Saiss replacement, and Ruddy replacement at a minimum.
Then we sell to buy 1:1 for the others.

Sounds ****ing great.

T

TheConcourse

The big ignominy would be if he went out on loan and continued not to score ,got left out and returned here .Where would we go then ? Somehow we have to unravel this conundrum
Yes. Or use him to bring a more experienced striker in. I’d imagine some Portuguese club would do a deal. He’s basically got 2 seasons before we offer another contract or sell. Another bad year and it’s starting to look like a pretty horrendous gamble.

Or they go the other way, sell Jimenez and draw a very clear line in the sand to say that Fabio is our man now. Feels risky.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sounds like a disaster

If neves isn’t sold until august this really will be a shambles

I don’t see any team making a high enough bid in June or July that fosun will accept

Fosun need to make some signings and take their chances of selling neves for a higher fee later in the summer

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
Yes. Or use him to bring a more experienced striker in. I’d imagine some Portuguese club would do a deal. He’s basically got 2 seasons before we offer another contract or sell. Another bad year and it’s starting to look like a pretty horrendous gamble.

Or they go the other way, sell Jimenez and draw a very clear line in the sand to say that Fabio is our man now. Feels risky.
Very

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

So basically just telling us what we already know then,with his usual possibly maybe diatribe
He knows no more than anyone else just joins the dots and best guesses like the rest of us

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The same reaction could have been leveled at Silva and Podence on many an occasion. The pot calling the kettle black.
I feel the same about you too Mr "wicked" one - let's say we have different opinions
It would be a very boring world if we all agreed about everything all of the time. I'm always prepared to debate and seek to understand other views. Thank you for taking the effort to respond in a polite, considered way.

I'm likely to be on here more than normal as l'm recovering from an op on Monday, am pretty immobile and already bored out of my tiny!

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So basically just telling us what we already know then,with his usual possibly maybe diatribe
He knows no more than anyone else just joins the dots and best guesses like the rest of us

HOW THE **** ARE WE SELL TO BUY - we made a profit in 20-21 we must have funds available, fosun do realise its a football club and you have to invest (like they did in the championship), to get the profits and gains

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
HOW THE **** ARE WE SELL TO BUY - we made a profit in 20-21 we must have funds available, fosun do realise its a football club and you have to invest (like they did in the championship), to get the profits and gains
Well we supposedly had all that cash available for Botman and Sanches last summer didn’t we? It never got spent.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Looking at Cucurella possibly joining Man City makes me feel all the more that we hold on to players for too long.

The whole point of investing in youngsters is that when you hit a gem, you swiftly sell him for 3/4 x purchase price and reinvest that money in more youngsters.

Perhaps it's the element of getting attached (which is obviously hard to avoid) but buying a player for x this season and selling him for 3x next season - regardless of how much we all love him - would be excellent business.

Also - and this is a point I labour to excess - it shows how silly it is to buy a kid for 35 million. To flog him on in a couple of years he'd basically have had to be Mbappe

Bugsy911

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
More worrying updates from Spiers , I really can see us getting relegated as I've no confidence in Lage and the "committee" who are planning this policy (maybe planning is hoping too much) what a mess.

Superted

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Looking at Cucurella possibly joining Man City makes me feel all the more that we hold on to players for too long.

The whole point of investing in youngsters is that when you hit a gem, you swiftly sell him for 3/4 x purchase price and reinvest that money in more youngsters.

Perhaps it's the element of getting attached (which is obviously hard to avoid) but buying a player for x this season and selling him for 3x next season - regardless of how much we all love him - would be excellent business.

Also - and this is a point I labour to excess - it shows how silly it is to buy a kid for 35 million. To flog him on in a couple of years he'd basically have had to be Mbappe
Problem is we're not used to having good players that other clubs want.

Now we've witnessed some genuine quality players we don't want to let them go because we don't know whether we're going to see similar again. EVen though we know we really should sell them to be able to progress.

I want the best players to stay but I wan't the big, fat transfer fees too and I don't care that it isn't possible.

Just make it so.

Keyser Soze

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I still hope we buy young to have a team to compete with the top in a few years and they stay together and mature as a team, the best youngsters anyway, and the others turned for the profit... maybe even a 50/50 split between the ones we keep to progress and the ones we sell to reinvest in more. I'd be OK with 50/50 and have some gems to keep the team progressing and some other gems for the cash

re: Silva I think it was Joao Felix they though they were buying, who knows he may still be, but it was the price Athletico paid Benfica for Felix that made us think we were getting the same player at a quarter of the price he'd fetch in a few years

Who knows, maybe that will still happen... even Felix himself has struggled after his move but is coming good

Mark Rankines Lovechild

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Think there was a similar shown from vitinha to hwang, for 14m.

Vitinhas goal in the fa cup was wonderful but importantly he showed glimpses similar to trincao, and was what 6 years younger than hwang?

I really don't remember the glimpses you talk about - possibly one half decent performance against WBA, albeit he didn't get many minutes. The goal against the "mighty" Chorley was a highlight but, apart from that (like many of the other players that nigh) it passed him by. In his first games he looked decent and was scoring goals - I don't think you there is any comparison to be drawn between Vitinha and Hwang based on the games he played up until we signed him.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To attract quality you have to “sell” the club and its prospects.
One good player won’t join us on his own. We need a powerful trio to join us . At least .
So who is selling our club to the players we need .

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Problem is we're not used to having good players that other clubs want.

Now we've witnessed some genuine quality players we don't want to let them go because we don't know whether we're going to see similar again. EVen though we know we really should sell them to be able to progress.

I want the best players to stay but I wan't the big, fat transfer fees too and I don't care that it isn't possible.

Just make it so.
Very good point @Super Ted . I feel completely the same. We are so unused to having a genuine quality team that we want to hoard them all!

We should follow my Football Manager lead and just buy loads of 18 year old brazilians for 2 million. They usually win the league in a season or 2!

Mark Rankines Lovechild

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Their fans do have a tendency to get a bit ahead of themselves. I’d imagine bigger clubs might get involved if he were available. Not cheap either, albeit they are quite willing to throw some cash about.

Apparently Chelsea have a 68m buy back clause that triggers in 2023. He is going nowhere.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
More worrying updates from Spiers , I really can see us getting relegated as I've no confidence in Lage and the "committee" who are planning this policy (maybe planning is hoping too much) what a mess.
But....you (and not just you!) said basically the same thing last season at this time....right?

R

reanswolf

Well this is gonna improve ST sales :)-.

Wolfy McWolf-Face

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
When we are looking at andre almeida who is announced in the portgual u21 squad, and palinha in the portugal squad.

And a name of vitor ferreria (vitinha) is also announced in the portgual squad, goncalves and vitinha ones that got away.

Vitinha what a let down for not spending the money, when we are looking to spend 14m on hwang..

View attachment 28085

Most didnt want the club to spend the money on Vitinha following his lack of performances for us. Easy now he's performing back home to say we got it wrong.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Sounds like a right pile of uninspiring pants to be honest.

Wolfy McWolf-Face

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
We'll never know the full truth but I expect Bruno should have been given a rebuild last year but the dominoes didn't fall for us to bring cash in I.e. sounds like Arsenal for Neves may have been on the cards but their outgoings didn't come off meaning it all stalled. Read that on here somewhere I'm sure.

If we stick with Bruno hopefully we get to see his true style with his own players and we can judge him fairly.

Just an assumption, no fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom