Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Not a bad time to discuss the team re-build

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I won't judge until it happens, let's see. I've got to be honest I had faith that at least here we'd managed to do a good bit of business. If they try to play us I'll be livid about what's happened, it'd be farcical. Most of us know/ accept that Silva was the pay off on a few sweet deals, this would take the **** though given where we are now. Like I saw, I'll reserve judgement until we know...
I’m with you on that the way things are going at current it isn’t looking promising

freezin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What? You want us to spend £50M on players who cost over £110M and then 3 others.

So we are selling Jota for a world record fee then.

Baffling comment.
Nah, you've misunderstood my point.

We were linked and have since been linked, with players who clearly have stellar quality but we wouldn't spend the bit more to land them.

Instead we spunked far more on Silva as a future gamble.

We effectively swapped Jota (on terms) for Silva and £8m. That's absolutely abysmal business.

Meanwhile all those other stellar quality targets slip though our fingers.

I don't buy the idea that we've bought him as a commodity.

1) I doubt he'll ever be worth what we paid.

2) By the time we've worked to improve him (which I don't think he'll ever reach those levels) he'll be in the final knockings of his contract, thus worth less.

3) We could have made FAR more by buying and selling those quality players.

4) We could have made more by recruiting and competing in competitions and progressing harder/further in them.

5) We could have attracted other talent, (possibly) cheaper, because of point 4.

6) We'll probably lose our better players that bit cheaper because of poor recruitment and an inability to attract the next level of quality to push us on.

I'm not levelling all this blame on Silva's shoulders. That would be ludicrous. I think he was a ****ing appalling transfer.
I think Jotas transfer was right for all parties at the time. I just think that FOSUN have been shafted and they're playing us like fools.

To bring balance to the post. We are in the top half of the top flight in arguably the best league in the world, and although playing some of the most painful football over the last 2 seasons, I'd take that over the championship.

NewarkWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Tammy Abraham!

This ship has also sailed now. Probably end up at Villa though and team up with Coutinho nicely.......

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Tammy Abraham!

This ship has also sailed now. Probably end up at Villa though and team up with Coutinho nicely.......
Why would he go from potential Champions League football and likely Europa league earning absurd money to go to play for Villa? He is on £6M net a year because of a low tax threshold foreign players in Italy get for a few years. That is basically the equivalent of £250k a week over here

Direwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
West Ham have Bowen, Chelsea Mount and Leicester Maddison. All players that ripped it up in the Championship. MGW has arguably done the same this season despite an injury surely it is time to integrate him as a key player in any rebuild for next season. It's a cheap investment, the media are behind him and the punters will big him up. He has proved that a regular run of football has inspired him to become a driving force in a very average team, re-invigorating Billy Sharpe and providing a regular MOTM performance with dynamism and boundless energy. Looks a very valuable asset waiting to be exploited and if we lose him we will have missed a trick big time.

theweave

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Above my desk is a framed photo of the Championship winning squad taken prior to the start of 18/19 season. I looked at it with Jade's comment in mind, 'this squad has had every drop squeezed out of it in the past 3 to 4 seasons'. That Squad is nearly 4 seasons old now and yet 10 of today's squad (11 if you include Traore) feature in the photo. It could be argued quite reasonably that they have done well to stay together and get us 8th in this league but as Jade says the pips have been well and truly squeezed now. The squad needs refreshing/overhauling this summer imo building around Sa, Kilman, Neves (ideally) and Neto. It's possible we could finish 7th this season which would mean we have been the 'best of the rest' 3 seasons out of 4 since our promotion. I just hope Fosun have the will to push us higher?
Of our current first choice 11, 8 are new so I don't agree that the squad hasn't been refreshed.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Of our current first choice 11, 8 are new so I don't agree that the squad hasn't been refreshed.
Coady, Neves, Moutinho, Jimenez, Dendonker, Saiss + Jonny and Boly would have been in the starting X1 had they not been injured + Traore and arguably MGW had we not loaned him out. All starters. For me this shows just how poor our recruitment has been over the past few seasons. Sa, Semedo, Neto and jury still out on Podence for me. 3 quality signings in 3 years? The team needs re-building in the summer, whether funds exist remains to be seen.

theweave

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Coady, Neves, Moutinho, Jimenez, Dendonker, Saiss + Jonny and Boly would have been in the starting X1 had they not been injured + Traore and arguably MGW had we not loaned him out. All starters. For me this shows just how poor our recruitment has been over the past few seasons. Sa, Semedo, Neto and jury still out on Podence for me. 3 quality signings in 3 years? The team needs re-building in the summer, whether funds exist remains to be seen.
Moutinho, Jimenez, Dendonker and Jonny weren't in the promotion team. I don't think Kilman was either, Ait Nouri, Semedo, Neto and Podence all starters when fully fit and quality signings

Halesowen wwfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I think there is a case for its time for the changing of the guard now. It does seem somewhat stale now and some new legs would hopefully see a new dynamic in the team.
Id be looking to get away from the 3 at the back with a back 4 of ait nouri, kilman, 1 new cb and jonny. Sa to remain in goal of course.

Midfield 3 of neves, new midfielder and mgw as the attacking midfielder. I would guess a midfielder to come in from barcelona as part of a swap for traore (not trincao...).

Then a front three of neto, podence and Raul.

I can see Semedo being sold to someone like atletico, plus i feel jonny gives us more in defence going to a back 4.

Traore swap with a new midfielder from barca.

Coady is the anomily. Id love to keep him, he is a hell of a leader for us, and the heart and soul of the team, but yet to be proven in a back 2, albeit neither is kilman yet, but he seems to have necessary attributes to go to a defensive pairing moreso than coady.

Mouts and saiss will be gone, and although both have been brilliant for us, i do feel that mouts in particular dictates our slow side to side play and if we are to change, it sadly needs him to go. Id argue the same with coady as well. His style of play is so intrinsic in the way we play sometimes at thr detriment of the team.

Neves, potentially in the moutinho mould, that his slow play dictates the way we play, but he is a god here and would not want him sold unless it allowed us to bring in 2 to 3 exciting players

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Moutinho, Jimenez, Dendonker and Jonny weren't in the promotion team. I don't think Kilman was either, Ait Nouri, Semedo, Neto and Podence all starters when fully fit and quality signings
I said the photo was taken 'before the start of the 18/19 season', not that they were all part of the promotion team! My point still stands, we are nearly 4 seasons on and 11 of the players are still on the books. Kilman, Semedo and Neto quality signings, not sure on Podence though. 3 quality signings in 4 seasons????? That's why we've not kicked on after the 2 7th place finishes and that's why we need a re-build in the summer esp if Lage wants to go to a 4 and make us into an attacking side.

T

TheConcourse

Biggest issue with MGW was how wasteful he was in possession, but he creates chances. His output and work rate seems to be exceptional this season.

I’m not getting too excited just yet. The Championship and PL is a massive step. If he can translate the form over then we could have some player.

theweave

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I said the photo was taken 'before the start of the 18/19 season', not that they were all part of the promotion team! My point still stands, we are nearly 4 seasons on and 11 of the players are still on the books. Kilman, Semedo and Neto quality signings, not sure on Podence though. 3 quality signings in 4 seasons????? That's why we've not kicked on after the 2 7th place finishes and that's why we need a re-build in the summer esp if Lage wants to go to a 4 and make us into an attacking side.
Tbf you said 'Above my desk is a framed photo of the Championship winning squad taken prior to the start of 18/19 season'. Calling them the championship winning squad you can understand my confusion

AlexWolvesHD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Would be great if Wolves were looking at some players who would be bargain prices in the summer due to only having 1 year left like Sasa Kalajdzic, Goncalo Guedes, Carlos Soler, Evan N'Dicka, Duje Caleta-Car.

Felipe Augusto current At. Madrid CB and former Porto player is going to be a free agent in the summer as well would be the perfect replacement for Saiss

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We need to be re-energised , refreshed, rebalanced and lots of physicality injected.

Michellis

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'll give you two names who might well go in the summer.
First of all Raul - Bruno has stated he wants a target man. Could Raul play as a 10? Yes, quite possibly - half the time he's already doing it. But there are far better 10s out there. Podence and MGW for a start. With a 2nd child on the way and given what's happened, I could easily see Raul in Spain or even MLS next year.
The second one is Conor Coady. We clearly need to raise money & I think Bruno wants to go to 4 at the back. Coady is far more than what he contribute son the pitch, but Newcastle would give us £30m. Add that to the Neves & Adama money and maybe we're in business.
Painful to admit, but I doubt Raul's price tag would amount to that much.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
People mostly go on about the need for an attacking midfielder; however if we stick with 343 and can keep hold of neves I think I’d try and get an out and out defensive midfielder (palinha type) and allow neves more freedom. Like he used to have playing with Saiss.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I said to my pal last night we need a premier league version of N’Diaye. A big powerful enforcer, especially in the latter parts of games when if we’re winning we need to see it out.
I’m thinking that’s why we could sign PALHINHA

Peszkywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Watford made us look like 1970s Brazil...... However the previous 30 games this season have shown us we lack attacking threat, push our wing backs backwards and press our defence and midfield and we have nothing. Think we do need a change, maybe not of the 3 defenders and wing backs, but midfield combination 2 or 3 and who plays up front. Probably do need a more physical, athletic midfielder. Possibly another striker.

T

TheConcourse

It feels more likely that he’ll stick with a back 3 next season, but improve one of the three CB’s.

I’d love to see us transitioning to a back four, but I can’t see it happening. Especially if Neves moves on. There’s too much work to do in one window.

At an absolute minimum we need a quality CB and another #9.

CM is a whole different story depending on contracts, players leaving etc.

Stafford

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Keep the same system. But bring in another world class wingback as it's crucial to our attacking prowess

Get a similar style player to Moutinho but younger. (Our 2 DM's have been the best thing about us the previous 3 years, none of this box to box nonsense)

Brand new 15 goal a season striker who can still head a ball.

Keep Neves.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Last thing we want is Traore back. Doesn't want to be here. He had the opportunity to commit and wouldn't. When You look how we tied up Neto ( and he would be on good money now ) if adama wanted to play here he would be here. If they can't afford him then we need to be creative and try to get 2 or 3 players as an exchange. It would be a disaster if he came back for 12 months

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Last thing we want is Traore back. Doesn't want to be here. He had the opportunity to commit and wouldn't. When You look how we tied up Neto ( and he would be on good money now ) if adama wanted to play here he would be here. If they can't afford him then we need to be creative and try to get 2 or 3 players as an exchange. It would be a disaster if he came back for 12 months
Do you think Neto would hang around if Barca came calling?

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Do you think Neto would hang around if Barca came calling?
Barcelona don’t have the cash so pointless entertaining anymore of their ridiculous offers!!

Or could they still give us that coutinho now Mendes couldn’t could he?? Lol

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Barca will have a lot to spend in the summer, their spending cap rockets back up and they redid all of their debt so it is managable. However suspect Haaland will be the key they will target.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
People mostly go on about the need for an attacking midfielder; however if we stick with 343 and can keep hold of neves I think I’d try and get an out and out defensive midfielder (palinha type) and allow neves more freedom. Like he used to have playing with Saiss.
For me, it's a box to box type that we need rather than an out and out defensive or attacking midfielder. Someone that can cover the ground. Can't name names though.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bet you’re devastated we won yesterday
Why?? I’m very happy I did leave on 90 mins though when Neves scored. We have to be realistic a player of Neves quality is not going to wait around at Wolves when Man Utd or City come calling for his services

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why?? I’m very happy I did leave on 90 mins though when Neves scored. We have to be realistic a player of Neves quality is not going to wait around at Wolves when Man Utd or City come calling for his services
He’s as likely to go to united as I am to bed Margot Robbie.

Back
Top Bottom