Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Hayao Kawabe

SBDJ

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Yes, he's an important player to Grasshoppers, I get that.
Maybe I'm just fed up, at what seems like a prett pyointless signing at a moment where our squad is threadbare. I know planning for the future is important and all that of course and it makes sense to sign him when we can, rather than wait and then not be able to
Also £500,000 is pretty cheap for somebody who might be a decent backup next season.
Well, you managed to talk yourself into it being a good signing anyway

Wolves in Limerick

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We have MGW as an attacking midfielder who I assume is ahead of this lad. This player strengthens the squad. If MGW isn't recalled as cover/to play in midfield, it would appear another signature is likely to be made or the manager is satisfied with what he has.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think we all get the Sellars explaination.
The big question is not - Why sign him now. The big question is - Why sign him, then loan him back?
He's 26, not a future prospect. And we DO need midfielders badly.
Maybe we're trying to sign another midfielder.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Interesting. I read a rumour a few days ago on a Grasshoppers forum that they’d be without Gomes and Kawabe in January and possibly longer. Consensus seemed to be that they were key players who are a cut above the rest of the squad and would be big misses. Did think Gomes would probably be recalled on loan but didn’t put 2+2 together on Kawabe. Makes sense for the Wolves coaching team to look at them both and see if they have potential for the future. The gap between the Swiss Super League and Premier League is obviously massive so they may or may not be able to make the step up at some stage but good Wolves are taking a look and working these channels. No doubt they might do something similar with Bolla in the summer too.
I think Bolla is actually the one that might well be able to make the grade, but it's actually one of the better way to go about blooding players. Swiss league is a lower standard but is highly competitive.

goldfish

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Think I'm with @Mighty Thor on this one.
The owner's wife's team... Seriously, lads, **** off and do some proper scouting

It's plausible that Wolves were involved in scouting him in the first place, but didn't want to spend more at the time due to FFP/didn't want to take the risk/needed him to go to Grasshoppers for Work Permit reasons.

The kind of signing that's perfectly sensible. If we don't make other signings it'll have nothing to do with this.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Does having players, playing for Grasshoppers, make it easier to secure a U.K. work permit now? I mean for players who wouldn’t otherwise qualify from their original team/league?

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think we all get the Sellars explaination.
The big question is not - Why sign him now. The big question is - Why sign him, then loan him back?
He's 26, not a future prospect. And we DO need midfielders badly.
He cost grasshoppers a million and we got him for half a million so i am not complaining.

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
On the basis that he probably will never play for us and yet we have shelled out £500K I just don’t see what we get out of this ?
I am sick of deal after deal of players arriving then being shipped out and hardly ever seen or heard of again
If we attacked on both fronts and brought in young players but still concentrated on the core business of the club ,namely the first team fans would go along with it but here we are again
Mathieson ,Gomes and the Hungarian lad are other recent examples where players just eventually disappear into the ether .

cannockwolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This. Absolutely stinks. Do grasshoppers need some cash or something? This is beyond murky.

I don't quite understand your positioning with this statement, is it genuine outrage as in "this stinks the *******s are taking money from my club that we need to give to the owners wife's team"

or is it more mock outrage, as in

"this stinks, but its great because my club is playing the system using its international contacts and resources to benefit either the team, commercial revenue, or player trading in the future, and there is nothing our competitors can do about it"

Personally, my view is more aligned with the managers of our highly successful, multi-billionaire, international conglomerate when it comes to long term foreign asset acquisitions - but what the hell do I know.

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
On the basis that he probably will never play for us and yet we have shelled out £500K I just don’t see what we get out of this ?
I am sick of deal after deal of players arriving then being shipped out and hardly ever seen or heard of again
If we attacked on both fronts and brought in young players but still concentrated on the core business of the club ,namely the first team fans would go along with it but here we are again
Mathieson ,Gomes and the Hungarian lad are other recent examples where players just eventually disappear into the ether .

Cheap punts of this nature will obviously have a relatively low success rate, that's why they're cheap. But you don't need many to succed for the strategy to be worthwhile.

Given that Kilman is now lookin like a superstar, perhaps you haven't thought this through properly, as he was a similar punt of a purchase at the time. Just be patient.

Also, the "Hungarian lad" (Bolla), is by all accounts developing very well.

Supadavewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not sure what the negativity is all about, seems like a no-brainer signing if he's already training with the squad, and likely to be cheap as chips too.
"as cheap as chips"?

"as reasonable as rice" or "as spendthrift as sukiyaki" seems more culturally appropriate...

Supadavewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Cheap punts of this nature will obviously have a relatively low success rate, that's why they're cheap. But you don't need many to succed for the strategy to be worthwhile.

Given that Kilman is now lookin like a superstar, perhaps you haven't thought this through properly, as he was a similar punt of a purchase at the time. Just be patient.

If Semedo does join Atleti, then Bolla could well come here (?)

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score

I have thought it through properly .Kilman arrived and developed here and wasn’t shunted out on loan and not seen again .As I said if they addressed our first team shortcomings at the same time then fair enough but we just haven’t

Oliwolf44

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I wonder if we are paying his wages? FFP help for Grasshoppers?

I do find strange that they signed him for 1 million and hes been their leading player this season and so they sell him for half the value lol. Obviously with the Fosun links its almost irrelevant as someone benefits somewhere. I do wonder if you were a grasshoppers fan if youd be happy that your new summer signing who has hit the ground running had just been sold for half what you paid for him.

giantwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Does having players, playing for Grasshoppers, make it easier to secure a U.K. work permit now? I mean for players who wouldn’t otherwise qualify from their original team/league?
It helps yes. The Swiss Super League is a band 4 league (on a par with the Greek Super League, MLS etc and above the Chinese Super League and the top Swedish and Norwegian leagues to name a few). Points wise, playing 90+ % of games at Grasshoppers is the equivalent to 50% of games in the Portuguese top league (band 2) or a third of the games in a band 1 league such as the Bundesliga, La Liga etc

Also whilst they are there they are also playing for their international team which is further points towards qualification

If Grasshoppers qualify for European football… even better

Last edited:

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have thought it through properly .Kilman arrived and developed here and wasn’t shunted out on loan and not seen again .As I said if they addressed our first team shortcomings at the same time then fair enough but we just haven’t

Right, so we should only make successful punt signings. Hope Wolves think of that!

Oliwolf44

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Bet grasshopper fans are pleased their club is essentially being used as a shop window and development academy where players will be there for a season max.

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I think thats what worries most people. We've seen quite a few signings of players, that will probably never ever play for us, and while the fees are often peanuts, then it all adds up.

In this case though, I think he can be a decent backup player next season, and the we do need squad players.
However IF he becomes the only midfielder we sign this month, then I think serious questions should be asked.

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bet grasshopper fans are pleased their club is essentially being used as a shop window and development academy where players will be there for a season max.

They've been a gigantic mess for years, so I presume the current situation is much better.

giantwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m sure there will be some negativity but since Guo’s wife took over they have a much more secure future, have been promoted, and some of their better players have been on loan from/bought for them by Wolves.

If they return to be a major player in Swiss football I’m sure they’ll begrudgingly go with it

Mighty Thor

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Have you even googled this, before throwing around tin-foil hat questions?

Open your eyes. I was being extreme to say she was made up but trying to highlight that it’s not an arms length transaction.

If you think it is. Good for you. I wonder how she got all her money. I wonder why she decided Swiss football was a great investment. I wonder how she paid for the club.

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
Right, so we should only make successful punt signings. Hope Wolves think of that!
I haven’t said that but turning it on its head how many have actually made it here or sold for good money as opposed to peanuts or just being released?
Until we address our first team problems for the here and now and not some mythical date further down the line these deals will not be the answer.As others have said he isn’t a kid he is 26

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Until we address our first team problems for the here and now and not some mythical date further down the line these deals will not be the answer.As others have said he isn’t a kid he is 26

He isn't a kid. But he also doesn't come without any pedigree or previous success - he's in his national team for a start.

To me, without having seen anything of him in action, he sounds like the kind of player that might do well if given a chance in a higher level of football. He wouldn't need to have much success for us to either get a useful squad player, or make a profit from his sale.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Having an established network of clubs to essentially train up players with a potential of unearthing a gem is part of the modern game.

City have Girona, Lommel and Troyes whilst owning New York City FC and Melbourne.

D

Deleted member 9202LYK

Why? We need mf recruitment, avoids an upcoming rule change and is from our Swiss feeder club for whom he has done well. What the **** is wrong with it?
Do I understand this correctly?

We have a swiss feeder club, but the rules mean that after this January, we cant sign anyone from them?

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Open your eyes. I was being extreme to say she was made up but trying to highlight that it’s not an arms length transaction.

If you think it is. Good for you. I wonder how she got all her money. I wonder why she decided Swiss football was a great investment. I wonder how she paid for the club.

I suspect she got her money from the joint account.

WAKE UP SHEEPLE

Back
Top Bottom